• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I was wondering if there's a good case that isn't all soft/gel and isn't a flip case for the Lumia 930. And if yes, what should be the expected price (without taking into account shipping)? A naked 930 feels...fragile.

KageMaru

Check your setting

Open Cortana > 3 horizontal lines on the top right > Settings > scroll down to speech setting > change read aloud incoming text setting to whatever you prefer

It can also be enabled for driving mode so when the phone connects to the blu tooth in the car, it will read it incoming messages automatically.

oh my god. Every freaking day I hit "check for updates" and nothing happens. Amazing that they are able to block dev preview.

I don't think they are blocking the dev preview. I think MS is just allowing the official cyan updates to be applied to phones running on the dev preview. So even if the Icon is one of the phones in this recent list, we won't see anything until Verizon releases the damn update. Now that Nokia is a part of MS,I don't understand why they couldn't just bypass the carriers through the preview program for firmware like they do for the OS updates.

Edit:

I was wondering if there's a good case that isn't all soft/gel and isn't a flip case for the Lumia 930. And if yes, what should be the expected price (without taking into account shipping)? A naked 930 feels...fragile.

I have an Icon, which is the American version of the 930 and use an otter box case.

http://m.otterbox.com/on/demandware..._color=20&start=1&cgid=nokia-lumia-icon-cases

Works great.

So, my phone finally updated to 8.1 Update 1... And now I can't update anymore due to 80188306. Oh well, at least I have folders and a live tile for Music now. Gonna see if I can do anything with folders.

oW4WJz4.png
Aand finished. My first start screen redesign in almost year

n64coder

Can you get AT&T phones and use them?

Yes, you can. I believe even locked ATT phones will also work.

Yup! My AT&T 1020 works flawlessly, LTE and all.

Ditto for me except mine was unlocked. What about yours?

The reason I want to be able to buy the 1530/1020 type phones through their shop is that I would get a brand new phone with a small carrier discount/subsidy. With their phones, you can get it unlocked after 4 months if you buy it from them.

hitgirl

any new windows phone coming to Verizon? I don't really like the ones they have right now.

edit - nvm went to verizon and changed out my Icon for a 928. For some reason the 928 feels much better in my hands. They were trying to sell me hard on the Samsung windows phone, but I felt like I would break that in a few months, so thin.

J. Bravo

is there an alliance i could join for age of empires castle siege? are there any benefits to joining an alliance? it's kind of a fun game lol.

Between tacky, throwaway cases and paying hefty shipping fees for an Otterbox, I ended up with the official Nokia case for the 930. I think I really like this particular case seeing as it feels...so good while holding it. It never feels like my phone is going to wiggle or anything like that! That, and the fact that all the buttons are exposed and easily reachable.

I do wonder how much protection these clips are going to give my phone when it comes to drops in general, not counting face-down drops. (This is definitely one of these cases that you need a screen protector!) From what I have seen on Neowin, it's surprisingly good.

MCD

I'm still using the official Nokia flip case for my 1020. And while travelling, I use the camera case.

Nokia is just brilliant at accessories.

I'm still using the official Nokia flip case for my 1020. And while travelling, I use the camera case.

Nokia is just brilliant at accessories.

It is kind of expensive, though.

I think I will probably never understand why the case doesn't fully cover all sides of the phone, though. Does the normal 1020 case do that, too?

I used to have the official gel case for the 900 back when I first had it, and it was good, aside from it being really easily discoloured and messing up the flash. (Maybe I should try testing out the flash during nighttime and see if something goes weird.)

MCD

The sides are fully covered on mine. The reason I like it because flip cases makes the camera bump hand friendly.

hitgirl

My friend has a Nokia 928 and takes some amazing photos with it. It's got a pretty good camera? Or is he just really good.

hitgirl

If you ever thought of getting a 1020, I'd say that it's a very bad idea. Unless you absolutely must have that camera, that is.

Oh yea? Is it pretty outdated? I had an Icon for the better part of last week and now swapped it out for the 928 because I liked the way it felt in my hands / pockets better. Waiting for the white to come in the mail.

Oh yea? Is it pretty outdated? I had an Icon for the better part of last week and now swapped it out for the 928 because I liked the way it felt in my hands / pockets better. Waiting for the white to come in the mail.

That's like going from the Playstation 4 to the Xbox 360, because you like the controller better.

That's the 920 version for Verizon.

It's a good camera, just 8MP though.

"just 8MP"

I wish my Nexus 5 had the camera from my 920. :(

KageMaru

If you're happy with the specs of the 928, you'd be fine with the 1020. It's the same hardware but with twice the internal memory. Slow camera though. Sucks we never got a successor, I may have switched carriers for that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Test driving a 830. Holy hell, the new Denim camera is FAST AS FUCK.

This could be a gamechanger if the speed is anywhere close on the 1020 and the 920.

Edit: Fast by WP standards, anyway. It's comparable to Android now.

It looks like most of my family is going to be on Windows Phone by the end of the year. My mom is getting my 920, my father is getting her 520 and my uncle is getting a new 530. Now I need to wait for the price of the 830 to come down a little for Christmas. 359€ is unacceptable.

maeh2k

It looks like most of my family is going to be on Windows Phone by the end of the year. My mom is getting my 920, my father is getting her 520 and my uncle is getting a new 530. Now I need to wait for the price of the 830 to come down a little for Christmas. 359€ is unacceptable.

Shouldn't be too long considering the 930 has been sold for less.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So, my phone finally updated to 8.1 Update 1... And now I can't update anymore due to 80188306. Oh well, at least I have folders and a live tile for Music now. Gonna see if I can do anything with folders.

Aand finished. My first start screen redesign in almost year

Okay I have had my 1020 for a few months now, but I don't know how to set my background up like this to be transparent. Any explanation would be great.

kharma45

This could be a gamechanger if the speed is anywhere close on the 1020 and the 920.

I could never understand why it was so slow in the first place.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

How was the screen and form factor. Still can't decide between this and the 930.

Okay I have had my 1020 for a few months now, but I don't know how to set my background up like this to be transparent. Any explanation would be great.

You need to be on Windows Phone 8.1.

If you're on 8.1, go to "Settings >> Start+Theme" then under Start Background, select "choose photo". Then instead of tiles showing your accent colour, they will be transparent and show your background picture. Your Accent will then be used in apps which implement your phones theme.

Milchjon

How was the screen and form factor. Still can't decide between this and the 930.

Form factor was amazing from the few minutes I handled it. Light and thin (compared to what I'm used to at least.) I think it's clearly preferable to the 930 when it comes to that.

Screen seemed better than I expected from the specs, was slightly buzzed though and didn't check too closely.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Form factor was amazing from the few minutes I handled it. Light and thin (compared to what I'm used to at least.) I think it's clearly preferable to the 930 when it comes to that.

Screen seemed better than I expected from the specs, was slightly buzzed though and didn't check too closely.

Lol. Definitely so pros to the 830. Size, microSD, Denim out of the box. Also heard it handles heat well or doesn't get as hot as other Lumias.

The 930 though has a better screen, camera, processor and theoretically more future proof?

I could get the 830 for $400 or the 930 for $600+. Either way in November I will be poised for a new contract, so assuming there are some new high end phones late next year the 830 might be a better choice for the short term.

Hopefully some good reviews for the 830 will be out soon.

Top Bottom