• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

derFeef

Wow, they completely ruined the Fitness app, it's horribly slow, does not record despite voiceover status updates... just awful.

Woorloog

Banned
Since i haven't yet got answer in my smartphone thread, i reckon this is a good place to ask.
How is WP weaker than Android/iOS when it comes to apps?

(The gist of my thread is: I'm looking for a smartphone (it would be my first) and Lumia 630 looks affordable and good as entry-level phone, but some think WPs are no good due to app situation.)

JimiNutz

Banned
My current contract is coming to an end and I think it's time to come back to Windows Phone after my brief time with Android.

Thinking about the 830 but also am considering waiting for new hardware...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The guys at Microsoft research are fucking smart.
7HaNaPQ.jpg
Microsoft research propose a new OLED power consumption technique (which they call FingerShadow) that uses local-dimming for screen areas covered by user fingers. Because OLED pixels only consume power when lit, this is a clever way to save power when people interactive with their smartphones or tablets.

According to Microsoft, they did a short study (10 users) and on average 11.14% of the screen is covered by fingers - which means FingerShadow can achieve a power saving of 5-22% (average 12.96%) with almost no overhead. Clever idea there Microsoft.

I'm worried about plenty of things regarding the future of Windows Phone, but innovation is not one of them. I believe Nokia's legacy is in good hands.

hwalker84

Since i haven't yet got answer in my smartphone thread, i reckon this is a good place to ask.
How is WP weaker than Android/iOS when it comes to apps?

(The gist of my thread is: I'm looking for a smartphone (it would be my first) and Lumia 630 looks affordable and good as entry-level phone, but some think WPs are no good due to app situation.)

The question you must ask is what apps do I need then you can check their website or ask us if there's any alternatives.

Paganmoon

There's also the big chance that many things you have an app for on other devices, really could be done with the mobile sites of those services.

Woorloog

Banned
The question you must ask is what apps do I need then you can check their website or ask us if there's any alternatives.

And that's a good argument why "weak app situation" doesn't matter to me, i think. I mean, i'm first time smartphone buyer, what the heck would i need? I don't know.
Presumably WP has all the basics one might need?

Would you recommend Windows Phone for first time smartphone buyer?

NeOak

And that's a good argument why "weak app situation" doesn't matter to me, i think. I mean, i'm first time smartphone buyer, what the heck would i need? I don't know.

Yes.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It looks like most of my family is going to be on Windows Phone by the end of the year. My mom is getting my 920, my father is getting her 520 and my uncle is getting a new 530. Now I need to wait for the price of the 830 to come down a little for Christmas. 359€ is unacceptable.
it would be nice to for Windows phone to start picking up market share, i dont are if they ever lead or not. My dads company is going windows phone. And everyone i keep showing features to of my windows phone at my work is like, damn, thats actually kind of cool.

There's also the big chance that many things you have an app for on other devices, really could be done with the mobile sites of those services.
Yea this was really annoying.

clav

If Google Hangouts is integral to your life, you can't use Windows Phone.

Yes, unless you are knee deep in Google or Apple eco system. The apps is depends as first time user you probably will find most of the app you want in Windows Phone. There are some smaller entities but so far from my experience with Androids, many of those apps suck anyway and I ended up just using the mobile site.

kharma45

I'm half tempted to come back to WP already. The 830 looks so nice. Depends on the price on PAYG upgrade with CPW.

The grass is a bit greener with Android but not that much more, and I miss live tiles.

Woorloog

Banned
Google Hangouts? I'm itching to ask what it is (i do know what it is. I think.)... The only Google thing i use is Youtube (and have gmail for non-essential email).
Hell, i don't use Facebook; my social media use is largely limited to GAF, if it counts, and Skype for chatting with friends.

So, no ecosystem problems. I do have windowslive email and XBL account on same thing already, so i actually have MS-ecosystem things already...

hwalker84

Google Hangouts? I'm itching to ask what it is (i do know what it is. I think.)... The only Google thing i use is Youtube (and have gmail for non-essential email).
Hell, i don't use Facebook; my social media use is largely limited to GAF, if it counts, and Skype for chatting with friends.

So, no ecosystem problems. I do have windowslive email and XBL account on same thing already, so i actually have MS-ecosystem things already...

Sounds like windows phone will be of no issue to you. Plenty of youtube apps that work incredibly well.

f0lken

Come to the dark side, Cortana will be a revelation for you.

Dilly

Banned
When I use Android on other people's phones after getting used to Windows Phone, it feels so ugly. Windows is so much better looking.

clav

You are the perfect candidate then.

Go buy a Windows Phone.

Woorloog

Banned
You are the perfect candidate then.

Go buy a Windows Phone.

Very much leaning toward one.
Given my budget limit (150€, preferably less naturally), there don't seem to be good Android options compared to Lumia 630 (can get one for 110€), unless i shell out some more and just get Moto G; and the only real cheaper option, Moto E, doesn't seem to be offering anything special over Lumia 630 but WP 8.1 seems somehow nicer than Android, on pics anyway.

The Shift

Banned
I got a White 930 last weekend and have 2 issues:

Grey colors have purple tint

Black screen when making or receiving calls

So I returned this phone to the store and after demoing the issues they offered to replace this phone with another White Lumia 930.

I got them to unbox in the shop so we could check if the phone had the issues I mentioned above - this first phone was DOA out of the box.

They had no more White inventory left so they called downstairs to their partner outlet in this shopping center to check stock there. 1x White and 1x Orange.

So I go down and get the ball rolling there - another White 930 with purple tint issue and prox sensor issue.

So we are at 3 phones that are defective across 2 shops. They open the Orange 930 and the purple tint is not present on this phone but the prox sensor issue is apparent.

So I'm a bit stuck right now - I am paying a handset fee for a phone that doesn't work. The Vendor and Telstra have no resolution for this issue other than to have me go to other shops and claim a replacement handset there - basically do a loop of Telstra outlets in my city until I find a White 930 that isn't faulty. That seems a bit 'off' to me.

Luckily I kept my 920 so can use that to get by.

Anyone here suffered similar issues with White 930's?

The Shift

Banned
What's the proximity issue? Couldn't tell from you post.

Proximity Sensor issue:

The intended functionality of the proximity sensor is to turn the screen on/off when the handset is held to the face when making a phone call.

The issue seems to be linked to OS triggers and faulty hardware.

Example:

When I make a phone call my screen goes black for the full duration of that call, cant go to phone dialer screen or start screen etc.

When receiving a call the same issue happens.

Basically renders phone unusable for its intended purpose.

I got a White 930 last weekend and have 2 issues:

Grey colors have purple tint

Black screen when making or receiving calls

So I returned this phone to the store and after demoing the issues they offered to replace this phone with another White Lumia 930.

I got them to unbox in the shop so we could check if the phone had the issues I mentioned above - this first phone was DOA out of the box.

They had no more White inventory left so they called downstairs to their partner outlet in this shopping center to check stock there. 1x White and 1x Orange.

So I go down and get the ball rolling there - another White 930 with purple tint issue and prox sensor issue.

So we are at 3 phones that are defective across 2 shops. They open the Orange 930 and the purple tint is not present on this phone but the prox sensor issue is apparent.

So I'm a bit stuck right now - I am paying a handset fee for a phone that doesn't work. The Vendor and Telstra have no resolution for this issue other than to have me go to other shops and claim a replacement handset there - basically do a loop of Telstra outlets in my city until I find a White 930 that isn't faulty. That seems a bit 'off' to me.

Luckily I kept my 920 so can use that to get by.

Anyone here suffered similar issues with White 930's?
Sorry to hear. Perhaps this is why there's a delay with the ATT release.

The Shift

Banned
Sorry to hear. Perhaps this is why there's a delay with the ATT release.

It's disappointing and I would be a bit upset if a didn't have the 920 to fall back on. The 930 is a nice handset too but this issue has me concerned to the point that I don't really want one as a replacement. I might have to get an Android handset which will shit me to tears - Telstra only have 635, 930 and 1320.

If they stocked the HTC One M8 for Windows I would jump on that but the phone hasn't been announced for the Australian market as far as I know.

The plan I have allows me to swap out my handset every 12 months at no fee but this contract is only 1 week old. I might have to renegotiate another contract if all else fails.

It's disappointing and I would be a bit upset if a didn't have the 920 to fall back on. The 930 is a nice handset too but this issue has me concerned to the point that I don't really want one as a replacement. I might have to get an Android handset which will shit me to tears - Telstra only have 635, 930 and 1320.

If they stocked the HTC One M8 for Windows I would jump on that but the phone hasn't been announced for the Australian market as far as I know.

The plan I have allows me to swap out my handset every 12 months at no fee but this contract is only 1 week old. I might have to renegotiate another contract if all else fails.
Oh, it's the 930 with the issue. I was thinking 830.

hadareud

The Translator
With the latest Poki update you can finally share to it from ie in 8.1. Really missed that feature.

Poki is add beautiful as ever, btw.

kazinova

Does anyone use StraightTalk? Does visual voicemail work?

(Sidenote: the histrionics on the gaming side today have me rolling. Some hardcore informed programmers over there picking apart the novices at Ubisoft, yeesh /s)

Treo360

(Sidenote: the histrionics on the gaming side today have me rolling. Some hardcore informed programmers over there picking apart the novices at Ubisoft, yeesh /s)

Don't remember if it did, however straight talk allows for short codes (hey TMO why don't you put us who have your monthly 4g have that?) which means you can use magikmail (youmail), which is great as I like the options magikmail has.

dLMN8R

So from what I remember, 8.1 added a variable speed playback API to the SDK.

The default Podcast app is terrible, but it does support variable speed playback. Does anyone know any good third-party podcast apps which make use of the feature?

I've been listening to so many podcasts for so long at 1.5x or 2x that previously, listening to podcasts on my Windows Phone was a complete non-starter.

Magni

What's up with Ubisoft? I haven't been on Gaming-side in years ><

kazinova

PR disaster over the most minor thing. The PS4 and XB1 version of Assassin's Creed Unity both run at 900p30. Which is really no big deal but one producer said something to the effect of: "we made them the same to avoid the debates and stuff".

Oops, happened anyways.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
PR disaster over the most minor thing. The PS4 and XB1 version of Assassin's Creed Unity both run at 900p30. Which is really no big deal but one producer said something to the effect of: "we made them the same to avoid the debates and stuff".

Oops, happened anyways.

this isnt the thread, but ill just say it isnt a minor thing. Is it earth shattering no? But its highly annoying to see developers pull this crap.

NeOak

Oops, happened anyways.

this isnt the thread, but ill just say it isnt a minor thing. Is it earth shattering no? But its highly annoying to see developers pull this crap.

They can't make their engine multithread.

/end

kharma45

They can't make their engine multithread.

/end

Pretty much, but writing code to make use of all those threads isn't easy. Strong single thread performance is still what matters (as I always maintained), and that's why AMD's CPUs aren't worth looking at for gaming.

/ot

Watevaman

Ok guys, I'm having so many problems since going to DP, so I want to reset my phone. Is there any way to ensure I don't lose all my contacts, because when I got my phone and used backup assistant I ended up losing a good chunk. I want to be sure this time.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Lumia 830 is also going to be coming to TELUS. It pretty much going to be on every major carrier in Canada. That's good to see.

Paganmoon

Ok guys, I'm having so many problems since going to DP, so I want to reset my phone. Is there any way to ensure I don't lose all my contacts, because when I got my phone and used backup assistant I ended up losing a good chunk. I want to be sure this time.

Make sure you have cloud sync active, you shouldn't loose any of your contacts then.

Top Bottom