• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The Lumia 830 is also going to be coming to TELUS. It pretty much going to be on every major carrier in Canada. That's good to see.

I think the price has something to do with it. $0 on a two-year and $400-450 off-contract is firmly in mid-range territory, and maybe the carriers didn't want to sell a less-popular flagship again like the 920 and 1020.

stktt

Banned
I got a White 930 last weekend and have 2 issues:

Grey colors have purple tint

Black screen when making or receiving calls

So I returned this phone to the store and after demoing the issues they offered to replace this phone with another White Lumia 930.

I got them to unbox in the shop so we could check if the phone had the issues I mentioned above - this first phone was DOA out of the box.

They had no more White inventory left so they called downstairs to their partner outlet in this shopping center to check stock there. 1x White and 1x Orange.

So I go down and get the ball rolling there - another White 930 with purple tint issue and prox sensor issue.

So we are at 3 phones that are defective across 2 shops. They open the Orange 930 and the purple tint is not present on this phone but the prox sensor issue is apparent.

So I'm a bit stuck right now - I am paying a handset fee for a phone that doesn't work. The Vendor and Telstra have no resolution for this issue other than to have me go to other shops and claim a replacement handset there - basically do a loop of Telstra outlets in my city until I find a White 930 that isn't faulty. That seems a bit 'off' to me.

Luckily I kept my 920 so can use that to get by.

Anyone here suffered similar issues with White 930's?

My first 930 had the proximity issues and a purple tint across bottom half of the screen. Thankfully, this replacement doesn't have any glaring issues. It sounds like the 930 has pretty poor QA for a flagship.

My first 930 had the proximity issues and a purple tint across bottom half of the screen. Thankfully, this replacement doesn't have any glaring issues. It sounds like the 930 has pretty poor QA for a flagship.
Nokia probably didn't give a sht since many knew Microsoft was canning most of them.

KageMaru

Make sure you have cloud sync active, you shouldn't loose any of your contacts then.

Are contacts backed up through the phone? I thought they were synced or saved under specific accounts. So I have contacts saved under my MS/Live account, contacts saved under my work exchange account, and contacts saved on my facebook account. These contacts won't appear on my phone till I add the respective account to my phone. If you open a contact, it will show what account it's saved under their name to the top left corner.

Milchjon

I'm still shocked by what Samsung considers appropriate UI design in 2014 whenever I handle one of their Android phones.

Disgusting.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 920 also had a lot of issues when it launched as well. Makes me nervous about buying a 930 unlocked. The 830 might be safer bet.

PG2G

Lmia 928 vs Lumia 830, whats the different? This shits confusing.

The 830 is a new midrange device that caught up to and slightly surpassed a flagship from over a year ago (92X). Performance should be similar with an edge to the 830, camera should be better on the 830 as well.

Paganmoon

Are contacts backed up through the phone? I thought they were synced or saved under specific accounts. So I have contacts saved under my MS/Live account, contacts saved under my work exchange account, and contacts saved on my facebook account. These contacts won't appear on my phone till I add the respective account to my phone. If you open a contact, it will show what account it's saved under their name to the top left corner.

IIRC, all local contacts should be saved your MS/Live account, so those shouldn't go away, your Exchange and FB contacts are saved on Exchange and FB, so they shouldn't disappear either, you just might need to re-add the Exchange and FB accounts to the phone, so it re-rync.

Swiftkey's much nicer than the stock keyboard (white theme, that black theme is not my cup of tea).

B-b-b-but why are -you- using an iPhone???

I wasn't happy with my ipad mini experience last year. It was alright, but I think in order to really spend time deep diving into iOS, it's necessary to use an iPhone. I'll probably get a nexus off contract sometime around L, to duplicate the time spent in iOS land. If you're going to objectively look at what's wrong and what's working well on your platform...you need to have a deep grasp of the other platforms' postives and negatives. Many of the PMs already have done all of this. My work on security was far too lowlevel to be noticed (password syncing in IE is the closest I can get to a consumer visible feature). My newer role brings me higher up in the stack, and therefore a more working knowledge of the other OSes is only a good thing.

That's a long winded way of saying, I got a bonus and saved a large chunk of it and decided that I could use some of it to fund a venture back into iOS land for a couple of months.

Another annoyance:
Dealing with my contacts on the iPhone was a pain in the ass. Somewhere upwards of 10 duplicate entries for a couple of people. Not sure if WP is any different, as my last major contact sync was in WP7-land

Don't worry, I still use an Icon on a daily basis, a 520 for runs (though that might take a backseat for a bit to try some of the running apps), dev phones at work, etc etc :)

i am also dipping into iphone territory soon so come at me bro(s).
granted i am not as interesting as lastflower and i will probably be here every so often to complain about ios anyway.

KageMaru

IIRC, all local contacts should be saved your MS/Live account, so those shouldn't go away, your Exchange and FB contacts are saved on Exchange and FB, so they shouldn't disappear either, you just might need to re-add the Exchange and FB accounts to the phone, so it re-rync.

Yeah that's how I thought it worked. Sorry, I thought you were trying to say you can backup your contacts through the phones backup features, which I didn't think you could do.

Nero3000

Alright WP GAF, a bit of help required. New phone choice at work (it'll be using GOOD, so the experience will be equally poor on each one):

- iPhone 5C (blue or white)
- Sony Z1 Compact
- Samsung S4
- Samsung S4 Mini

Considering i havea 930, I don't want to carry two large phones really (S4). I'm leaning towards the iPhone at the moment but reading emails in the shower is appealing (Z1C).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just got the the Lumia 530 that I ordered for my uncle.

The performance itself is okay, but the display smears so bad, that it feels slower than it is.
It comes with 1.28 GB free storage out of the box.
The phone doesn't feed bad, but it's a bit slippery.
No double tap to wake?
I ordered the white one and it came with a free dark grey cover.

It's okay to replace a dumbphone, but anyone who's remotely serious about the platform should just spend the 30 bucks more and get a 630 or 635.

kharma45

I just got the the Lumia 530 that I ordered for my uncle.

The performance itself is okay, but the display smears so bad, that it feels slower than it is.
It comes with 1.28 GB free storage out of the box.
The phone doesn't feed bad, but it's a bit slippery.
No double tap to wake?
I ordered the white one and it came with a free dark grey cover.

It's okay to replace a dumbphone, but anyone who's remotely serious about the platform should just spend the 30 bucks more and get a 630 or 635.

Or just get a 520

toff74

A sad day indeed for me and Xbox Music.

After pretending I live in the US (from the UK) for a Zune Account in the early days I've cancelled my XBOX music subscription and subscribed to Spotify.

The app was just too bad (still) and I wanted a way I could share my subscription with the wife as well as make an old simfree Lumia 800 a dedicated music player without having to be logged in to my Microsoft account.

Experience so far?

Well the Spotify WP8 app isn't great. Slow and cumbersome. The WP7 app is quicker, but you can only download playlists (have to convert streaming albums to a playlist) however the desktop app is great :).

As far as music selection goes. For what I listen to its a wash between the 2 services.

Will I ever go back? Give me a month lol.

Woorloog

Banned
Bought (orange) Lumia 630. I now i need to change the plan and get a microSIM (damn SIM cards, can't they figure out some other system) so that i can actually use it, beyond some basic setup.
Looks good, there's something appealing in WP UI.
Gotta play with the settings a bit...

hadareud

The Translator
A sad day indeed for me and Xbox Music.

After pretending I live in the US (from the UK) for a Zune Account in the early days I've cancelled my XBOX music subscription and subscribed to Spotify.

The app was just too bad (still) and I wanted a way I could share my subscription with the wife as well as make an old simfree Lumia 800 a dedicated music player without having to be logged in to my Microsoft account.

Experience so far?

Well the Spotify WP8 app isn't great. Slow and cumbersome. The WP7 app is quicker, but you can only download playlists (have to convert streaming albums to a playlist) however the desktop app is great :).

As far as music selection goes. For what I listen to its a wash between the 2 services.

Will I ever go back? Give me a month lol.

I've tried Spotify twice for a month and both times came back to Xbox Music.

n64coder

If you're going to objectively look at what's wrong and what's working well on your platform...you need to have a deep grasp of the other platforms' postives and negatives.

I agree that's a good thing to do. Is there an easy way to give feedback to Microsoft on what's working and not working on Windows Phone?

I'm a long time gmail user and one issue I had with contacts is that by default, gmail tends to add new contacts without a label for the mail address or phone number. If this is the case, it won't sync to the phone. I have to go into gmail and put a label (e.g, home, mobile, work) and then it will show up.

You probably already know this but improving the camera speed (starting the app and taking multiple pictures) is one big advantage of iOS. I'm surprised that the 1020 was released with a slow camera. Since the camera was a key feature of that phone, it should have not gone out unless it was fast which means improving the hardware or the software.

I agree that's a good thing to do. Is there an easy way to give feedback to Microsoft on what's working and not working on Windows Phone?

I'm a long time gmail user and one issue I had with contacts is that by default, gmail tends to add new contacts without a label for the mail address or phone number. If this is the case, it won't sync to the phone. I have to go into gmail and put a label (e.g, home, mobile, work) and then it will show up.

You probably already know this but improving the camera speed (starting the app and taking multiple pictures) is one big advantage of iOS. I'm surprised that the 1020 was released with a slow camera. Since the camera was a key feature of that phone, it should have not gone out unless it was fast which means improving the hardware or the software.
. The WP user voice site is the best way to get visibility. PMs can leverage the number of votes to levy a defense for a new feature, or to alter design. Building a project is all about costing, and having proof of desire is more important than hearsay. Obviously the site isn't taken literally, but a demand can often intimate a desire that isn't filled. If we can fill that desire/ask in a way that is consistent with the OS philosophy, everyone's happy (actually, you can never please everyone).

One of the benefits of the Nokia merger is that we'll have a tighter coupling with hardware, so that perf should always rain consistently good. I can't really guarantee anything, as planning out hardware is a massive undertaking. It can also be risky designing for where you think tech will go (Vista/longhorn reboot). Overall Im very happy with Terry's philosophy, which should ensure good performance above all else.

excuse spelling. The autocorrect is funky on this iPhone. Can't just type and forget like WP

kharma45

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the 530 is a downgrade compared to the 520, too. But it cost the same as the 520 and I thought newer = better. I almost feel like sending it back, to be honest.

Bar the new processor everything else is a step back.

n64coder

The autocorrect is funky on this iPhone. Can't just type and forget like WP

You typed all that on the phone? Wow, that must have been painful. The WordFlow keyboard is one of the best features on WP such that I really miss it when I use my iPad. I just wish there was an easy way to add new words.

I did pay for the Swype keyboard which isn't too bad but the 3rd party keyboard integration is still very buggy.

I'm hoping that I'll get a Surface Pro 3 in the next couple of months to replace my Sony Vaio and to be an iPad replacement.

KageMaru

It's getting increasingly frustrating that there is nothing we can do or have anyone to contact on Verizon releasing the cyan update. There are phones out now with denim officially installed for fucks sake.

When you combine a powerful image sensor, flexible camera app, and slow processor, there's little you can do to make it not run slow. The denim update is supposed to noticeably improve the speed of the camera, but only with newer devices using faster hardware.

512mb devices should be abolished, damn you Elop.

Agreed 100%. The recently released flipboard app is a perfect example of how releasing new devices with that low amount of memory is a huge mistake. First impressions matter most and here we see a high profile app incapable of running on the majority of phones out there.

Then again, if you buy a $50 512mb smartphone in 2014 you should have extremely low expectations. I also see Elop's decision to increase market share with these low cost devices.

hwalker84

It would be incredible if the HTC One M8 Eye came to AT&T with WP.

But we all know nothing from today's event will involve us peasants.

hadareud

The Translator
So far, this is the worst event I have ever watched. And that's despite being pretty sure that I just spotted a model's front bottom through her clothes.

Top Bottom