• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Woorloog

Banned
Ookay...
Been updating my phone and stuff.
So, i check the "people", uhh, list. The thing is, it is full of people and things i don't know, some are really old contacts, and there are my previous phone's contacts too mostly. What's going on? Where did it get all these?
EDIT note, i still don't have SIM card. Gotta go get it tomorrow.

EDIT Wait, did it add all those via Skype contacts list or something?

EDIT Nope, they weren't via Skype. Rather, they came from E-mail/Microsoft account somehow. But... How? I'm pretty sure i have strict privacy settings, and that doesn't explain how i got a lot of old contacts via it...

EDIT OK, the culprit is the People thing in Microsoft account. Somehow it has a lot of contacts, some old, some current, some that have nothing to do with me. But how are those contacts there...

hadareud

The Translator
Cohesive. Visionary. Fascinating. Interesting. Decent. Acceptable.

Just some of the words I wouldn't use to describe this event.

It was just weird, bizarre, really.

dLMN8R

Are there any good benchmarks or even qualitative reviews of the 830 yet? I know the CPU is supposed to be better than the 920, GPU slower, but I'd like to see it quantified.

KageMaru

Ookay...
Been updating my phone and stuff.
So, i check the "people", uhh, list. The thing is, it is full of people and things i don't know, some are really old contacts, and there are my previous phone's contacts too mostly. What's going on? Where did it get all these?
EDIT note, i still don't have SIM card. Gotta go get it tomorrow.

EDIT Wait, did it add all those via Skype contacts list or something?

EDIT Nope, they weren't via Skype. Rather, they came from E-mail/Microsoft account somehow. But... How? I'm pretty sure i have strict privacy settings, and that doesn't explain how i got a lot of old contacts via it...

EDIT OK, the culprit is the People thing in Microsoft account. Somehow it has a lot of contacts, some old, some current, some that have nothing to do with me. But how are those contacts there...

You ever use Microsoft instant messenger? I think I had some old contacts tied to my MS account because of messenger.

Woorloog

Banned
You ever use Microsoft instant messenger? I think I had some old contacts tied to my MS account because of messenger.

I think i had that old Windows...(Live?) Messenger(?) (or whatever it was called) tied to my email years ago but the only contacts i had there were a couple of my friends (the same ones with whom i use Skype now). Not sure how that would enable MS account to have a lot of my old phone number contacts, along with a lot ones that are completely unknown to me.
Do note i have never ever before had a phone with internet access either...

Lenovo bought Motorola and HTC USA just lost 3 top execs to Amazon.

People really only buy Apple or Samsung now. I saw this at a theme park when anyone pulled out their cell phone at night while in line all I saw was Touchwiz or iOS.

f0lken

I think i had that old Windows...(Live?) Messenger(?) (or whatever it was called) tied to my email years ago but the only contacts i had there were a couple of my friends (the same ones with whom i use Skype now). Not sure how that would enable MS account to have a lot of my old phone number contacts, along with a lot ones that are completely unknown to me.
Do note i have never ever before had a phone with internet access either...

Yup, if you use an old MS account that has either your Windows Live Messenger, hotmail, skype, outlook contacts they will be on your phone, and if those contacts updated their profiles with phones is likely that they will be sync too

BTW, be sure to enter the dev preview program so you can have updates to the OS early. Is completely free https://dev.windows.com/en-us/develop/devpreview

this_guy

Are there any good benchmarks or even qualitative reviews of the 830 yet? I know the CPU is supposed to be better than the 920, GPU slower, but I'd like to see it quantified.

The CPU in the 830 is actually pretty low end. It is a quad core, but it uses ARM A7 cores. Same processor in the Lumia 630 and Motorola G on the Android side. Should be fast enough to be smooth for day to day use, but I wouldn't expect benchmarks to be anything special.

I still like the design and if the camera and battery life prove to be solid it's a phone that I'll consider.

hwalker84

Its funny how the HTC Desire Eye is labeled as a mid range phone but with Windows phone it would have the best specs on the platform next to the HTC One M8 for windows.

dLMN8R

The CPU in the 830 is actually pretty low end. It is a quad core, but it uses ARM A7 cores. Same processor in the Lumia 630 and Motorola G on the Android side. Should be fast enough to be smooth for day to day use, but I wouldn't expect benchmarks to be anything special.

I still like the design and if the camera and battery life prove to be solid it's a phone that I'll consider.

Yeah I know it's not a fast phone, but surely the CPU should be at least a little faster than the 920?

Paganmoon

excuse spelling. The autocorrect is funky on this iPhone. Can't just type and forget like WP

Yeah, if there is just one thing WP has done absolutely right it's the autocorrect/predictive text keyboard. It's crazy how good it works, and I was actually very disappointed when I noticed the Surface 2 didn't have it. Would've loved it when using it without keyboard attached.

Yeah, if there is just one thing WP has done absolutely right it's the autocorrect/predictive text keyboard. It's crazy how good it works, and I was actually very disappointed when I noticed the Surface 2 didn't have it. Would've loved it when using it without keyboard attached.
it's coming with windows 10: electric boogaloo, which is pretty cool.

Woorloog

Banned
Yup, if you use an old MS account that has either your Windows Live Messenger, hotmail, skype, outlook contacts they will be on your phone, and if those contacts updated their profiles with phones is likely that they will be sync too

BTW, be sure to enter the dev preview program so you can have updates to the OS early. Is completely free https://dev.windows.com/en-us/develop/devpreview

But... i never had any of those contacts anywhere, not in Messenger, not in Hotmail, not in Skype... (except some of them were on my now-old phone, but i never connected it to internet). Most of the names are utterly unknown to me.

hadareud

The Translator
Been playing around with an android M8. I really can't see myself going back to android unless I'm forced to.

It had a stock android rom, and while the UI is a hundred times better than it used to be back in the day, I still prefer wp by a mile. The simplicity and the start screen are just too much to give up.

Beautiful hardware, though.

dLMN8R

I played around with the M8 for Windows in a Microsoft Store yesterday. Nice piece of hardware, I could easily see myself getting it in a heartbeat if it came to AT&T.

But....why is the power button on the top??? Blahh, power buttons on the top of large phones just makes zero sense.

Woorloog

Banned
Got SIM card and data connection thing working on my phone.
Transition to smartphone-age complete, i guess.

Anyway. Is there any SimCity-like games for WP? (Something that works with 512mb memory)

Got SIM card and data connection thing working on my phone.
Transition to smartphone-age complete, i guess.

Anyway. Is there any SimCity-like games for WP? (Something that works with 512mb memory)

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that the Nokia game Moden Mayor (Conversations at Nokia info page) has a SimCity vibe in it. Not sure if its available in the UK though, but if it isn't you can just set your phones region to USA, download the app then set it back.

There is also (again, haven't tried) My Country and Greed City which looks similar to simcity in the screenshots and has alot of really good reviews.

But... i never had any of those contacts anywhere, not in Messenger, not in Hotmail, not in Skype... (except some of them were on my now-old phone, but i never connected it to internet). Most of the names are utterly unknown to me.
Your old phone might have been saving your contacts to your sim card. Though if it bothers you try this, Open up the People Hub>>Settings>>Filter Contact List. Then you can choose to filter where its getting your contacts from.

Woorloog

Banned
I haven't tried it, but I've heard that the Nokia game Moden Mayor (Conversations at Nokia info page) has a SimCity vibe in it. Not sure if its available in the UK though, but if it isn't you can just set your phones region to USA, download the app then set it back.

There is also (again, haven't tried) My Country and Greed City which looks similar to simcity in the screenshots and has alot of really good reviews.

Your old phone might have been saving your contacts to your sim card. Though if it bothers you try this, Open up the People Hub>>Settings>>Filter Contact List. Then you can choose to filter where its getting your contacts from.

Thanks for the recommendations, will check them out.

I got the contacts via Microsoft account, before i got the new SIM. My friend said it is because Messenger/Skype search for people you might know or something like that. As did someone in this thread (or something like it). Hmph. Need to read TOS/EULA closely the next time, i guess...
Very unfortunate i got a new SIM card (the old one was kind of older type, one that couldn't be cut into smaller one) and the shop i visited didn't offer to move the data to the new card. I guess i should have asked for it?
I guess it isn't a big deal, i need to learn to use the touchscreen anyway, remaking the contact list is good practice (and it isn't too long a list).

Woorloog

Banned
No problem. If you need any other app recommendations like best Youtube app (MyTube), Weather or anything else just ask away.

I downloaded HD Youtube on the account it had most reviews, and high ratings (or at least so the phone showed).
I should probably test multiple Youtube apps to find one i like...
Still need to get earphones, not getting much use out of Youtube otherwise.

stktt

Banned
I downloaded HD Youtube on the account it had most reviews, and high ratings (or at least so the phone showed).
I should probably test multiple Youtube apps to find one i like...
Still need to get earphones, not getting much use out of Youtube otherwise.

Try Metrotube or Mytube.

Magni

Just a curiosity, not actually going to buy this, but would this phone work fine with AT&T LTE?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NB5XE36/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If so, what limitations (if any) would it have?

Seems like it works fine according to this post... http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/310637-2.htm#post2797747

The following post says it also works fine on T-Mo, but I'm hesitant to splurge $429 without knowing for sure :/ I've reached out to Expansys again, still no answer...

edit: assuming that's an RM-984, don't know why I assumed that.

The 830 was delayed; Rogers will have it next week (was supposed to be today). Other carriers will follow later in the month.

It'll also have a Canadian version of Cortana.

hitgirl

I've been trying to return my Icon for like a week at Verizon. They keep messing up and mailing the wrong phone to the store, so frustrating.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have the Lumia 720. Just updated to Cyan and now my phone takes forever to load up after it goes to sleep. So basically any time the phone screen goes black because I haven't used it in a minute, it takes a minute just to get it back working... This is extremely annoying and I have no idea how to fix it...

Magni

I have the Lumia 720. Just updated to Cyan and now my phone takes forever to load up after it goes to sleep. So basically any time the phone screen goes black because I haven't used it in a minute, it takes a minute just to get it back working... This is extremely annoying and I have no idea how to fix it...

Try a soft reset (hold power and volume- down for 10-15 seconds until it turns off)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Not just restart, a soft reset. I had a similar problem on my 521 stay for dozens of resets until I realized I restarting it was different from soft resetting it.

Ah I see ! Well I just tried it. It seems to work for a bit, and then it will go back to its usual slowness :(

Top Bottom