• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any apps that support an external heart rate monitor? I suppose I could use my iPad but it would be nice to do on my phone, combined with the step counting.

Well it looks like I'm dropping Verizon once my two years are up. Between them not updating phones and actively trying to dissuade people from buying windows phones in stores, I'm fuckin done with them.

I feel the same way. Verizon gets the best signal where I am in Vegas, but I cant stand how much they have halfassed everything WP related.

KageMaru

I feel the same way. Verizon gets the best signal where I am in Vegas, but I cant stand how much they have halfassed everything WP related.

Yup, this is the last draw. The last two times I went into a store to buy a WP, the staff tried to talk me into buying an Android phone. I've read enough stories to know this isn't an isolated incident, so it's no wonder the phones don't sell as well as expected.

I have no idea how AT&T's service compares in mid-Ohio, hopefully it's good enough.

Watevaman

If Cyan is off the tables for the Icon then fuck this shit. I bought the phone for the prospects and considering the experience I've had with the DP along with general app functionality, I now know I shouldn't have gotten the Icon. And I'm stuck with it for another year and half.

Magni

Seems like it works fine according to this post... http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/310637-2.htm#post2797747

The following post says it also works fine on T-Mo, but I'm hesitant to splurge $429 without knowing for sure :/ I've reached out to Expansys again, still no answer...

edit: assuming that's an RM-984, don't know why I assumed that.

So Expansys got back to me, the RM-984 does not work on T-Mo LTE.

ExpansysUSA said:
Sorry for the late reply. Correct, this model will unfortunately not work on T-Mobile LTE.

And this is why exclusives will never work, just release the thing on anyone who will carry it and in your stores.

FFS this. How hard is it MS. Of course you're not gonna have any marketshare if no one can buy your phones (and if the few that could cant get updates...)

PG2G

I wouldn't even consider an 830 unless it was like $299 off contract. $400 for a phone with those specs is a no go for me.

ElNino

Is Alpha only for Preview? If yes then it might just be the Alpha.
Then I guess it's nice that it's included out of the box now, but the US (Beta) version is really much better. Other than the weather being F by default and distances being Imperial, it really works fine in Canada.
I hear that she can now pronounce aboot correctly.
Not sure on about... but hopefullly she can begin to use Eh.

How comes contona on my phone sounds nothing like she does in the commercials or the Halo games? I have a 920 running dev preview 8.1.

It's still in beta and parts that are not recorded or done yet are voiced by a generic computer voice. If it never sounds like Cortana, then it's really weird.

It's still in beta and parts that are not recorded or done yet are voiced by a generic computer voice. If it never sounds like Cortana, then it's really weird.

I will have to pay more attention but when I ask it something the reply is always in the horrible weird siri type voice. I dont think it has ever sounded like it does in the commercials.

dLMN8R

How well does the lumia 920 run 8.1 on developers preview?

Been using it on mine for a while. A couple things are a little slower, like loading search takes a second or two, but for the most part it works incredibly well. Web browsing is faster, and all the new features work pretty much perfectly.

hitgirl

Been using it on mine for a while. A couple things are a little slower, like loading search takes a second or two, but for the most part it works incredibly well. Web browsing is faster, and all the new features work pretty much perfectly.

Cool, thanks! Do you feel like you need to upgrade with the 920? I'm going from the HTC 8x since it's broke. Had the Icon for a few days but it's just too big for me, the 920 is slightly smaller but makes the world of difference to me.

dLMN8R

Cool, thanks! Do you feel like you need to upgrade with the 920? I'm going from the HTC 8x since it's broke. Had the Icon for a few days but it's just too big for me, the 920 is slightly smaller but makes the world of difference to me.

I absolutely want a new phone. The second something that's not a 6" phablet is available on AT&T, I'm going to jump on it.

Mostly though because my phone has some physical defects due to me dropping it a number of times and replacing broken glass at a fairly crappy repair shop. The camera isn't as good as it used to be, I've used faster phones and want something faster, I want a bigger screen, and a thinner/lighter phone, and other such features that come with newer phones.

hwalker84

I absolutely want a new phone. The second something that's not a 6" phablet is available on AT&T, I'm going to jump on it.

Mostly though because my phone has some physical defects due to me dropping it a number of times and replacing broken glass at a fairly crappy repair shop. The camera isn't as good as it used to be, I've used faster phones and want something faster, I want a bigger screen, and a thinner/lighter phone, and other such features that come with newer phones.

I'd kill for a new flagship's and not this affordable flagship bullshit.

Milchjon

830 in black is the sexiest thing Nokia has done since the cyan 800.

Screen ain't half bad either. Time to wait til it comes down in price and more info on the potential Windows 10 disaster is available.

Milchjon

What disaster?

Dunno, I find it kinda hard to buy a somewhat weak phone before we know what Windows 10 will look like on a phone, how it will run, how and if the update will work etc.

I don't think MS and its carriers have a great track record when it comes to these things.

NeOak

Dunno, I find it kinda hard to buy a somewhat weak phone before we know what Windows 10 will look like on a phone, how it will run, how and if the update will work etc.

I don't think MS and its carriers have a great track record when it comes to these things.

How many Android phones have you used?

hadareud

The Translator
Why does it matter? Why not look at the iOS devices instead?

Not a great time to bring up Apples update prowess when a few weeks ago they killed some users networking ability with one of them.

Wouldn't be surprised if some carriers were seriously considering some action.

Lucius86

Banned
Wtf is going on? So frustrating. I want to stay with Windows Phone when I renew next month but it's getting harder and harder.

I went from the 920 to the Sony Z3 - there are a few things I miss, such as built-in text speech for bluetooth setups in cars (I know Android is meant to have this, but apparently in the latest versions has broke it for many users), but on the whole I'm glad I've jumped ship. The much better notifications, app support and maps are winners in my eyes.

Top Bottom