• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yeah lets.

It's fucking crippled my iPad.

Every major update is fucking buggy.

Some of the feature pullbacks seem arbitrary.

Every major update on any device with any software ever is fucking buggy for some people. At least they're in a position where they can quickly fix issues and push out updates.

hadareud

The Translator
For now.

Having a market share that's barely topping Windows Phone in several large European markets together with one of the worst bugs in recent memory may have several carriers question the fact that Apple has them over a barrel when it comes to updates.

Maybe not this year and maybe not next year either, but I wouldn't be surprised if things changed at some stage.

I went from the 920 to the Sony Z3 - there are a few things I miss, such as built-in text speech for bluetooth setups in cars (I know Android is meant to have this, but apparently in the latest versions has broke it for many users), but on the whole I'm glad I've jumped ship. The much better notifications, app support and maps are winners in my eyes.

I am on OnePlus and I miss many things about Windows Phone daily from camera, wireless charging, automatic text reading and Cortana but it would really take an awesome hardware (which of course they have nothing for this year) to win me back. I agree notification is far superior to Windows Phone and one thing they really need to improve, I never have issue with Nokia Map and in someway I rather prefer it so to me it's a toss up there, as far as app I know I will miss a few if I go back to Windows Phone mostly the boardgame I play with my brother-in-law but I can always just pick up a tablet for that.

I think deal with Verizons is probably will be what finally kill Windows Phone in the US. While At&t is not always great but they were at least pretend to want to support Windows Phone, at least at one store I go to they never shy away from selling Windows Phone. Having your flagship phones both ties to one carrier that doesn't want to sell it in the first place seems like a sure fire way to sink your marketshare even lower.

Global release when?

Few months before the M9 with Android L comes out.

For now.

Having a market share that's barely topping Windows Phone in several large European markets together with one of the worst bugs in recent memory may have several carriers question the fact that Apple has them over a barrel when it comes to updates.

Maybe not this year and maybe not next year either, but I wouldn't be surprised if things changed at some stage.

That was a hiccup at best. I don't see a big change for Apple in that regard, not in the next 3 years. And even if it gets worse, it won't be as bad as Windows Phone or Android, where phones get no updates at all. The Icon not getting Cyan is such a joke.

hadareud

The Translator
We'll see. It's all about Apple being first and producing the single most profitable device. Once they don't and once the current state of affairs is becoming a nuisance, things may well change.

It was only a small hiccup in the greater scheme of things, but the timing could prove significant depending on what the future has in store,

MRSA

Banned
So my current backup phone is an unlocked Lumia 900 (That has trouble with T-Mobile's LTE), Best Buy is having a deal where they'll give you an additional $50 ontop of your trade in towards a new phone. $66 trade in value is what I'll get, should I take that offer and get an Lumia 635 as a backup for $99? Or is the 530 going to be okay?

MRSA

Banned
The 900 serves its purpose but when I do have to use it, it really shows its age. Especially being stuck on 7.8.

hitgirl

Hah, so It's been like two weeks since my local Verizon store had a 920 in white shipped to the store. I've been there like 3x when they told me it had arrived. First time they sent the wrong phone and two others it did not actually arrive. It was suppose to be in today for sure, called before I went because I hate waiting 30minutes at that place and it didn't arrive. What a joke.

KageMaru

Hah, so It's been like two weeks since my local Verizon store had a 920 in white shipped to the store. I've been there like 3x when they told me it had arrived. First time they sent the wrong phone and two others it did not actually arrive. It was suppose to be in today for sure, called before I went because I hate waiting 30minutes at that place and it didn't arrive. What a joke.

Did they try to sell you an Android phone each time you went there? Maybe that's why they keep calling you in =P

hitgirl

Yea, it's ridiculous. Was on hold for an hour at Verizon and finally hung up and gave up.

I really hope next year the 1030 comes out, would be cool if it's not a phablet and has wireless charging. I'd swap providers for that for sure.

MCD

Just a random thought:

MS should really target the enterprise with a Lumia Pro series just like Surface Pro.

I always thought the 900 felt old even back when it came out. Uglier version of the 800 with a worse screen.

It's even worst that they had the nerve to release this phone, advertising it as the end of the smartphone beta test and then not releasing the latest and biggest OS update for it few months later.

Honestly, I can't blame anyone who wants to abandon the platform. Nothing they're doing makes any sense at all. At least not on the hardware front.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I always thought the 900 felt old even back when it came out. Uglier version of the 800 with a worse screen.

I bought a pink version of the 900 for my mom and it was gorgeous. The commercials they ran for it were so tone deaf, though. They advertised the camera and yet it has the worst camera performance of any Nokia flagship, they must've screwed up that hardware somehow because no software update for it ever fixed it. Of course, not getting anything past 7.8 was unforgivable.

Lucius86

Banned
I am on OnePlus and I miss many things about Windows Phone daily from camera, wireless charging, automatic text reading and Cortana but it would really take an awesome hardware (which of course they have nothing for this year) to win me back. I agree notification is far superior to Windows Phone and one thing they really need to improve, I never have issue with Nokia Map and in someway I rather prefer it so to me it's a toss up there, as far as app I know I will miss a few if I go back to Windows Phone mostly the boardgame I play with my brother-in-law but I can always just pick up a tablet for that.

In the UK maps really is a definite step back from Google. Business searches are just useless in comparison. Cortana is very good and I miss her, but truthfully I hardly use voice searches to warrant it a major factor for me. The other features you mention are hardware related.

One thing I definitely do miss is Windows Phone's speed with core apps like SMS etc. Even work with all this hardware punch with the Z3, there can be the occasional lag with Android. I'm also very much looking forward to Android L - Android can look a bit 2012 in looks.

Still, my work 635 is going strong so I look forward to updates on both.

hitgirl

On the emails I have tied to windows phone they never show the images linked in the emails. I have to click download in order to see them every day, is there a way to make it show up images all the time?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Snapdragon 400 on the 830 feels so much faster than the old S4 Pro used by older devices. Denim def feels faster than equally powered Android phones.

Magni

It's even worst that they had the nerve to release this phone, advertising it as the end of the smartphone beta test and then not releasing the latest and biggest OS update for it few months later.

Honestly, I can't blame anyone who wants to abandon the platform. Nothing they're doing makes any sense at all. At least not on the hardware front.

That ad campaign was a disgrace. That could have worked for the WP8 launch, but for the 900? Wow.

Special C

Ever since I've been playing Age of Empires my battery has been draining super fast even though I'm only playing minutes at a time. Do I need some kind of process killer?

Ever since I've been playing Age of Empires my battery has been draining super fast even though I'm only playing minutes at a time. Do I need some kind of process killer?
I'd say hold down the back button to see if it's still hiding in there after the game quits. If not, hit up Battery saver and see if it has a background task.

hwalker84

On the emails I have tied to windows phone they never show the images linked in the emails. I have to click download in order to see them every day, is there a way to make it show up images all the time?

Mailbox > ... > settings > "Always download full message and internet images"

Talon

I forgot this happened.

Oh, man. It's a good thing Blackberry's idiocy was (is) still around to make everyone else look better.

hitgirl

Since verizon can't seem to get me a 9208 in white I guess i'll just cancel my upgrade and use my iphone until the 830 comes out on verizon. Shouldn't be more than a few months?

I think deal with Verizons is probably will be what finally kill Windows Phone in the US. While At&t is not always great but they were at least pretend to want to support Windows Phone, at least at one store I go to they never shy away from selling Windows Phone. Having your flagship phones both ties to one carrier that doesn't want to sell it in the first place seems like a sure fire way to sink your marketshare even lower.
If you follow the blog androidpolice, they've posted the Here Maps android betas which Nokia is actively developing. Seems the features/functionality is the same as the WP version.

Magni

Microsoft stores sell all Blu phones but almost no Microsoft phones. Wooo

Will this week be the week where we get Lumia 830/735 hard dates and prices for the US? This is past the point of ridiculous. Imagine if we still didn't have a release date or price for the iPhone 6. These Lumias were announced a week before the latest iPhones.

/rant

:(

luso

Now that I have windows 8.1, I'm having difficulty to customize which apps or even games could access data on the background. Before there was a clear menu option where you could block access for a certain app, now there is only notification center but it's lacking that menu. I am missing something?

Nero3000

Now that I have windows 8.1, I'm having difficulty to customize which apps or even games could access data on the background. Before there was a clear menu option where you could block access for a certain app, now there is only notification center but it's lacking that menu. I am missing something?

Go to data sense or battery sense.

Doffen

Zoo Tycoon Friends - FREE

3cbe3716-ee8d-40f9-82fc-3347712d1aa7

Flintty

Has anyone else had problems finding their Xbox One on Lumia Play To since the app was updated?

One of my best WP apps broken :(

Top Bottom