• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

joshschw

start + theme in the settings

It's not an option on 5inch+ devices.

I hope they enable the old style, I can't get used to six columns it on my 1520 - it's awful even on that size, it's just a cluttered mess, and they are still smaller than they were on my 820.

It's not an option on 5inch+ devices.

I hope they enable the old style, I can't get used to six columns it on my 1520 - it's awful even on that size, it's just a cluttered mess, and they are still smaller than they were on my 820.
Bigs and mediums! No smalls allowed!

MRSA

Banned
Lumia 530 an okay buy at $50? I feel as though it should be a $30 phone. Is the 635 that big of a difference worth twice as much as as the 530 as a backup phone?

NeOak

Just saw that :( I like that MS is releasing apps on all three platforms (WP only is useless when you're the only one in your social circle with a Lumia), but don't gimp them right out of the gate!
You know what that means...

Time for a new social circle.

Magni

You know what that means...

Time for a new social circle.

I work at a tech "startup" (officially bought out by still run independently) in NY/SF, nobody has a Windows Phone here.

Almost my whole family back in France is on Windows Phone though, when my new phone automatically connected to my mom's Wi-Fi this summer it was like magic :D

hitgirl

Finally got my 920. I hope I enjoy it as much as my 8x. The onlything in the pipeline that might make me replace it is the 1030 if it happens.

What's a good car cradle for the 920?

Finally got my 920. I hope I enjoy it as much as my 8x. The onlything in the pipeline that might make me replace it is the 1030 if it happens.

What's a good car cradle for the 920?

Cradle? Embrace the magic of wireless charging.

wgK6Ti8.jpg

These things are 10 bucks on ebay, usually incl. shipping.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Upgraded to the Dev preview a couple of weeks ago and the home screen folders update is amazing. The way the drop down works is genius in how sleek it looks ND how functional it actually is

hitgirl

One thing that bugs me about my new 920 is that the lights on the bottom where the back, windows, and search buttons are is like a weirdish yellow tint and sort of half lit. There's no way I'm going back to verizon to swap it though, it took them nearly 3 weeks to get a new phone and they kept messing up while activating it. Huge time sink.

Cradle? Embrace the magic of wireless charging.

wgK6Ti8.jpg

I mean like something to hold my phone in the care while I use GPS. I love wireless charging for sure, one reason why I like the Nokia phones with it built it.

One thing that bugs me about my new 920 is that the lights on the bottom where the back, windows, and search buttons are is like a weirdish yellow tint and sort of half lit. There's no way I'm going back to verizon to swap it though, it took them nearly 3 weeks to get a new phone and they kept messing up while activating it. Huge time sink.

I mean like something to hold my phone in the care while I use GPS. I love wireless charging for sure, one reason why I like the Nokia phones with it built it.

ProClip is the best way to attach any mobile device to your car. Don't mess around with suction cups.

NeOak

Is that a Lumia 928 or a Lumia Icon?

dLMN8R

Lumia 830 impressions:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/nokia-lumia-830-first-impressions
http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-830-unboxing-impressions

I think I'm going to get this to tide me over until Windows 10 stuff. Too many compromises with the M8 IMO - no Glance, bad camera, no camera button. I want something that's a genuine upgrade in every way from my 920, which the 830 is, not something full of compromises.

Might not be the biggest upgrade ever, but still seems like a great phone, and certainly better than the 920 in every way I care about.

Lumia 830 impressions:

I think I'm going to get this to tide me over until Windows 10 stuff. Too many compromises with the M8 IMO - no Glance, bad camera, no camera button. I want something that's a genuine upgrade in every way from my 920, which the 830 is, not something full of compromises.

Might not be the biggest upgrade ever, but still seems like a great phone, and certainly better than the 920 in every way I care about.
Not to mention the 830 will sell for at least half the cost of the M8.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lumia 830 impressions:

Thinking the exact same thing.

Also regarding the 920, my capacitive buttons are oddly colored. The search button is different than the other two.

hitgirl

Seems like I was about a month too early in my phone breaking, or I could have gotten a 830. But at the same time I think it might be a bit too big for me. I like short phones.

Milchjon

Seems like I was about a month too early in my phone breaking, or I could have gotten a 830. But at the same time I think it might be a bit too big for me. I like short phones.

In the store today, the 830 seemed barely larger than the 920. It's less than a centimeter taller.

Magni

What's the expected 830 price off contract?

Off contract or unlocked? Unlocked it seems to be $399, unlocked maybe $329? No idea TBH.

I'm heavily debating getting an RM-984 now, as long as it stays over $400 that helps me resist haha.

I'm on T-Mo in the US but spending a lot of time in Europe and now Japan. Both the RM-984 and RM-985 will get me 2G outside of the US I guess, and I get 4G (not LTE) on my 521 anyways, so I wouldn't be missing out on much if I got the RM-984, but it still hurts to spend ~$400 and miss out on LTE when I'm paying ~$70 a month for it...

We still have no idea whatsoever as to when the 830 will launch in Latin America (RM-985 unless I'm mistaken), right?

MCD

OMG

Xbox Music on WP is truly dumb. I can buy Killer Instinct OST on Xbox Music PC with my Xbox credit but not on the shitty WP version.

Real talk: fire the team who made this POS. The fucking "Buy" button is even hidden. The fuck?

komplanen

Currently if one installs a Windows 7 Home Premium they don't need to input a product key during the installation. You can use the full OS for 30 days until you are required to use a legitimate product key.

Is this possible with Windows 8.1? I'd like to try it out but I don't intend to pay for it if I don't like it. I also don't want to try out some corporate demo version that requires a re-install even if I liked it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is this possible with Windows 8.1? I'd like to try it out but I don't intend to pay for it if I don't like it. I also don't want to try out some corporate demo version that requires a re-install even if I liked it.
no i believe it requires a key on install.

What's so hard to understand? WP isn't the lead platform with MS. Customers simply aren't into WP. Carriers seem to be tired of the platform as well. That's the harsh reality.

Hopefully MS can generate more buzz with Windows 10 phone.

Top Bottom