• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hitgirl

What's the best way to back up all your apps and layouts? Looks like this 920 is going back because the battery is faulty, was playing around with it this morning for 20 mins and it went from full charge to 30%.

Razdek

Banned
What's so hard to understand? WP isn't the lead platform with MS. Customers simply aren't into WP. Carriers seem to be tired of the platform as well. That's the harsh reality.

Hopefully MS can generate more buzz with Windows 10 phone.

Gee, those are great selling points for WP. Why would anyone buy a WP again?

hadareud

The Translator
Gee, those are great selling points for WP. Why would anyone buy a WP again?

- they like the platform
- they prefer the UI
- they are tied into the MS ecosystem
- they like specific features of the hardware
- it provides them with ample opportunity to whinge and whine
- a combination of any of those

OMG

Xbox Music on WP is truly dumb. I can buy Killer Instinct OST on Xbox Music PC with my Xbox credit but not on the shitty WP version.

Real talk: fire the team who made this POS. The fucking "Buy" button is even hidden. The fuck?

It will be funny after they switch to a universal app, and they drop the xbone and W8 and chose the WP version as the base.

ElNino

How so? Or rather, why would that be facilitated by using Windows Phone instead of Android or iOS?
Maybe not MS services specifically, since those are generally available on the other platforms as well; but if you have bought apps on WP, you might not want to re-buy on the other platforms if you were to switch.

I am due for an upgrade soon and I decided why not try out a WP. I have had my eyes on the 930 for quite some time, but I have heard of the battery drain and warming issues. I have decided to also consider the 1520 but I am a bit undecided on the device because of the screen size (Been using a Galaxy S2). So what do you guys think I should go for?

I am due for an upgrade soon and I decided why not try out a WP. I have had my eyes on the 930 for quite some time, but I have heard of the battery drain and warming issues. I have decided to also consider the 1520 but I am a bit undecided on the device because of the screen size (Been using a Galaxy S2). So what do you guys think I should go for?

1520 has an amazing battery. I like the increased screw size too, typing is fine.

hwalker84

Off contract or unlocked? Unlocked it seems to be $399, unlocked maybe $329? No idea TBH.

I'm heavily debating getting an RM-984 now, as long as it stays over $400 that helps me resist haha.

I'm on T-Mo in the US but spending a lot of time in Europe and now Japan. Both the RM-984 and RM-985 will get me 2G outside of the US I guess, and I get 4G (not LTE) on my 521 anyways, so I wouldn't be missing out on much if I got the RM-984, but it still hurts to spend ~$400 and miss out on LTE when I'm paying ~$70 a month for it...

We still have no idea whatsoever as to when the 830 will launch in Latin America (RM-985 unless I'm mistaken), right?

If you buy a phone in full from AT&T they have to unlock it for you anyway. I need LTE which I don't think the expansys USA version supports?

Magni

If you buy a phone in full from AT&T they have to unlock it for you anyway. I need LTE which I don't think the expansys USA version supports?

Oops, I meant "Unlocked it seems to be $399, off-contract maybe $329? No idea TBH."

Off-contract is different from unlocked because the phone is still branded as AT&T (physical logo, boot screen, and most importantly, updates).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I love my 930. Yes it gets a bit warm but battery is pretty good. I held out for the 930 as the 1520 was just too big for me. Specs are about the same other than physical size. Definitely see if you can try one out first, or at least mock something up at home to give you a feel for the size.

hitgirl

Does Windows 8 have any support for the Sony cameras that can do wifi or NFC photo transfers? I'm guessing you need an app to do it and I'm guessing Sony doesn't support Windows Phone.

Does Windows 8 have any support for the Sony cameras that can do wifi or NFC photo transfers? I'm guessing you need an app to do it and I'm guessing Sony doesn't support Windows Phone.

I have a Sony camera and I always use wifi to transfer my pictures. The software that comes with the camera, is called playmemories and I had no problems installing it on my pc running windows 8.1.

Meteorain

So my Lumia 920 updated the other day. Jesus I had to type in a lot of passwords!

I am quite enjoying the addition of the roll down control panel. Surprised it took so long for the feature to be implemented. My second surprise is how amazing swift-key is. I never thought I would actually like it.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there any free fast PDF reader that can find any PDF files on my phone?
Adobe's is so very slow. Text is fine but any images... eh, very, very slow.
Microsoft's doesn't find any PDF files on the phone (does it read them from OneDrive or something?) for some reason.

dLMN8R

Sweet. I thought the gameplay of Assault was fun, just never stuck with it because every review complained about stupid F2P tropes.

stktt

Banned
The microtransactions in Spartan Assault never really bothered me, but I'm certainly glad they've been removed in the sequel.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
myfitnesspal app is very fully featured. Kind of a relief to get something properly made :)

Hopefully they find a way to track steps from the sensorcore data eventually, as the ios app can do that now. Alternatively if MS opened the health SDK so you could connect it to myfitnesspal's website would be fine too. I thought it used to be open before they changed to the new system?

Is there any free fast PDF reader that can find any PDF files on my phone?
Adobe's is so very slow. Text is fine but any images... eh, very, very slow.
Microsoft's doesn't find any PDF files on the phone (does it read them from OneDrive or something?) for some reason.

Get Files Its the official filemanager for Windows Phone and will allow you to browse the file system to find PDFs and send them to Microsoft Reader/Adobe Acrobat. If you have PDF files on OneDrive, you can just open the OneDrive app then navigate and tap on the file you want. Then just send it to your PDF reader of choice.

Woorloog

Banned
Get Files Its the official filemanager for Windows Phone and will allow you to browse the file system to find PDFs and send them to Microsoft Reader/Adobe Acrobat. If you have PDF files on OneDrive, you can just open the OneDrive app then navigate and tap on the file you want. Then just send it to your PDF reader of choice.

For some reason, the filemanager doesn't find the files either. I'm probably doing something wrong...

n64coder

I like the new msn.com page where now they have a little toolbar so you can access Outlook, Notes, OneDrive. Kind of like the gmail apps. It would be nice if they integrate windowsphone.com into this interface at some point.

hwalker84

I love this feeling of us all going down together on a sinking ship hoping for a Flagship to come rescue us all.

I WANT TO UPGRADE!

Let's be honest. This ship is sinking and it makes me sad to think I may be back on ios in 2 years not by choice but because MS continues to fumble their WP mobile strategy into irrelevancy.

WP10 launching with a affordable flagship but this time the best we'll get is a 700 series.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
People have complaining about sinking ships and such for years...

The 830 is the first time that a WP is basically going to be on every major carrier in Canada. It may not be high end, but it still looks like a decent phone which will be inexpensive on contract.

Nero3000

It's only being ignored in N. America.

Everywhere else it is seeing modest success. I see Windows Phones everywhere now in the UK. (925 mostly)

kharma45

Yeah WP is doing relatively well in the UK. Still needs a bit of a stronger push from MS in stores and in adverts but accounting for ~10% of sales isn't doing too bad all things considered.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Everywhere else it is seeing modest success. I see Windows Phones everywhere now in the UK. (925 mostly)

yeah. At the EGX show a few weeks ago, I was queuing up and the two people next to me had WP (one a 925, one either a 1320 or 1520, couldn't tell). That made three people in a small space. I was a little worried about spacetime being ripped apart but we were ok.

It's being ignored in the US and China, two of the biggest and most important markets.

btw, my Lumia 920 with the 8.1 DP still hasn't got Cyan. It looks like my N5 is getting 5.0 before my Lumia gets Cyan.

So? The better comparison would be the nexus 4 vs. The 920. And even then, if the 920 is a carrier branded phone, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

The Nexus 4 is getting 5.0, too. It wasn't mentioned in the Google blog post at first, but they corrected that.

"Android 5.0 Lollipop, which comes on Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player, will also be available on Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10 and Google Play edition devices in the coming weeks."

And while my Lumia 920 is indeed a carrier phone, the hold up has nothing to do with the carrier and more with some mistake that MS made during the DP, making the phone somehow incompatible with Cyan. They said they're fixing it, but that was almost a month ago. My carrier approved the firmware a long, long time ago.

hitgirl

I wonder what the chances of the 1020 successor having the camera grip accessory too. That has to be one of my favorite cell phone things, so useful when on vacation.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Nexus 4 is getting 5.0, too. It wasn't mentioned in the Google blog post at first, but they corrected that.

I know that, but I'm saying given the age of the phone, that's the better comparison. Have they given the date for L yet on the n4? I don't know if it will receive it at the same time as the n5.

I know that, but I'm saying given the age of the phone, that's the better comparison. Have they given the date for L yet on the n4? I don't know if it will receive it at the same time as the n5.

It says "in the coming weeks" after listing all phones. Google has no specific date for any of their devices yet. I don't expect the N4 to get the update much later than the N5 or N7.

But fine, lets see if my Lumia gets Cyan before the N4 gets 5.0.

New Halo announced but yet we still can't use Xbox controllers on our windows phones.

How would you want to connect the controller? With a wire?

Top Bottom