• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Here is a screenshot of my extras and info:

wp_ss_20141022_0002.png

Damn that sucks, got me all excited. I just noticed it saying denim when i checked today so I assumed it updated. They should make it up by sending out the real update.

Edit: so the article says if you quit out and go back in it fixes the error, but I just shut my phone down and went back in and it still says denim. No matter how many times I back out it doesnt change, weird.

Magni

microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia830/

microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia830/

sigh

The US has to wait to get the (IMO) uglier version, in fewer colors, on only one carrier. WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT? Why do you think your marketshare sucks so bad in the US. Ugh

Damn that sucks, got me all excited. I just noticed it saying denim when i checked today so I assumed it updated. They should make it up by sending out the real update.

Edit: so the article says if you quit out and go back in it fixes the error, but I just shut my phone down and went back in and it still says denim. No matter how many times I back out it doesnt change, weird.

Yeah it's a weird bug :(

dLMN8R

microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia830/

microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia830/

sigh

The US has to wait to get the (IMO) uglier version, in fewer colors, on only one carrier. WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT? Why do you think your marketshare sucks so bad in the US. Ugh

Yeah it's a weird bug :(

AT&T only carrying a boring black version? Blah.

Are there any new options to buy an 830 that I can use with AT&T LTE?

Magni

AT&T only carrying a boring black version? Blah.

Are there any new options to buy an 830 that I can use with AT&T LTE?

The prototype on eBay was successfully flashed to Denim by people on the WC forums, but that's no longer being sold (apparently the seller's warehouse was robbed last week...)

So no, there's no place on Earth to buy an unbranded RM-985 AFAIK. It's a disgrace. People are waiting to fork over their money.

jagowar

It really is sad how they keep making this same mistake over and over again. Both apple and android manufacturers learned this lesson years ago and ms keeps making the same mistake over and over again. Advertising means nothing if they are only targeting 1/4 of the total population here. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Still waiting on something new for tmobile. The funny this is the 830 is almost tailor made for the uncarrier plans (a cheaper "flagship" phone) but they don't have it.

Magni

It really is sad how they keep making this same mistake over and over again. Both apple and android manufacturers learned this lesson years ago and ms keeps making the same mistake over and over again. Advertising means nothing if they are only targeting 1/4 of the total population here. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Still waiting on something new for tmobile. The funny this is the 830 is almost tailor made for the uncarrier plans (a cheaper "flagship" phone) but they don't have it.

It's depressing. Does anyone at MS actually care? Fire whoever's in charge of the US market, because even Canada is doing better than them now. Just depressing.

MCD

It's depressing. Does anyone at MS actually care? Fire whoever's in charge of the US market, because even Canada is doing better than them now. Just depressing.

They should buy another phone OEM for starters because Nokia is pretty much 0 in the US.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mobile GAF suddenly gone wonky. The up arrow to jump to the top of the page makes the page go white, and you can scroll past the bottom of the page into nothingness. Had been ok until today.

PG2G

Why do you guys assume it is Microsoft's decision that AT&T is only going to carry the phone in black? Microsoft is going to make what AT&T asks them to make.

royalan

Why do you guys assume it is Microsoft's decision that AT&T is only going to carry the phone in black? Microsoft is going to make what AT&T asks them to make.

It just seems like whoever MS has in charge of the US division just has no idea how to approach and work the carriers. Or even market the phones in the US.

I mean, this is like when we all thought that the reason only Verizon carried the 930 in the US was due to some exclusivity deal...only to later realize, when Verizon dropped the phone, that if any such exclusivity deal ever ACTUALLY existed, it likely expired a long ass time ago. And still you can't even buy the phone unlocked at MS' own store in the US.

I think it's just time to accept that whoever was put in charge of WP in the US is just incredibly incompetent. No other excuse seems to make sense anymore.

Magni

Microsoft is worth $200 billion more than AT&T, they seem to be doing just fine every where else in the world allowing users to get their hands on the phone (including as I mentioned in my last post even Canada!).

The launch of the 830 reminds me exactly of the launch of WP7 almost four years ago to the day. The US got a gimped version of what was coming out in Europe, later and only on AT&T. It was a disaster then and you'd think they'd have learned their lesson. But no, they've been repeating the same disastrous mistakes for FOUR YEARS now.

edit: The RM-985 is available unlocked on B&H for pre-order, currently $449 with an estimated release date of November 15th! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086356-REG/nokia_a00021289_lumia_830_rm_985_16gb.html

They have their own outlet call Microsoft Store. They should at least sell unlock / signature phone there, like Nexus line. An unlock version of Icon and 830 should at least be the standard stock for Microsoft Store but nope, only phone they have is the 630 Go-phone that are also selling at At&t and T-mo.

When I talk to a guy at Microsoft Store, he said they have no input what so ever and they would love to sell unlock Lumia phone and could not understand why Microsoft doesn't make unlock version of Icon available after the exclusivity ran out.

ashdcuk

Neo Member
So it's been a while since I posted but after some long winded rigmarole with Vodafone - and a brief wavering towards the Xperia Z3/Z3c as I could get it at a large discount - I finally have my 930!

It's quite a step up from my Lumia 900 on WP7 although one slight annoyance is that in People you no longer get Facebook updates - I loved being able to read them without ever having to open the app. Or do I need to enable something to get them back?

The bluetooth data transfer from WP7 is also disappointing in that it completely lost or fucked with the messages and there was no option to transfer photos over. I know I can do it through OneDrive or maybe even the Windows Phone app but that thing is a pain...

Anyway, what apps and games would you recommend? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I imagine it gets asked a lot.
In particular, any good Twitter app other than the official one?

Magni

They have their own outlet call Microsoft Store. They should at least sell unlock / signature phone there, like Nexus line. An unlock version of Icon and 830 should at least be the standard stock for Microsoft Store but nope, only phone they have is the 630 Go-phone that are also selling at At&t and T-mo.

When I talk to a guy at Microsoft Store, he said they have no input what so ever and they would love to sell unlock Lumia phone and could not understand why Microsoft doesn't make unlock version of Icon available after the exclusivity ran out.

This. It's depressing that MS does not sell their phones directly to consumers. Sell them through carriers all you want, but at least give us the option of buying it from you.

It's one thing that there isn't a true flagship, or a replacement for the 1020, but in the case of the 735 and 830, the phones exist! What's awful is that we can't buy them.

Paganmoon

Wishlist for next update:

Don't set ringtone level to the media sound level when I insert headphones.

Sincerely,
All my co-workers.

ElNino

Wishlist for next update:

Don't set ringtone level to the media sound level when I insert headphones.

Sincerely,
All my co-workers.
This.

I usually turn off the ringer when I have headphones on because it is way too loud when I'm listening to music.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So it's been a while since I posted but after some long winded rigmarole with Vodafone - and a brief wavering towards the Xperia Z3/Z3c as I could get it at a large discount - I finally have my 930!

It's quite a step up from my Lumia 900 on WP7 although one slight annoyance is that in People you no longer get Facebook updates - I loved being able to read them without ever having to open the app. Or do I need to enable something to get them back?

The bluetooth data transfer from WP7 is also disappointing in that it completely lost or fucked with the messages and there was no option to transfer photos over. I know I can do it through OneDrive or maybe even the Windows Phone app but that thing is a pain...

Anyway, what apps and games would you recommend? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I imagine it gets asked a lot.
In particular, any good Twitter app other than the official one?

Not sure about people generally, but with my pinned contacts they show Facebook updates on their live tiles

I just want it to stop randomly deciding it needs to warn me of ear damage when I plug in headphones or an aux cable, reducing the volume to 13.

It doesn't always happen, but almost every Nokia I've had does this.

I just want it to stop randomly deciding it needs to warn me of ear damage when I plug in headphones or an aux cable, reducing the volume to 13.

It's a federal law compliance thing. It sucks, but it is what it is

hadareud

The Translator
Nice to see that WP sales are recovering.

Still, if they hadn't handled the transition so badly, sales should be around 30% higher now.

If they don't release a new flagship soon I will have to slap them.

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 5 Sek.Vor 5 Sekunden
Microsoft sold 9.3 million Lumia devices in the recent quarter, up from 8.8 million this time last year http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/23/7030831/microsoft-q1-2015-financial-earnings …

Also, Surface revenue grew 127% to $908 million.
Doomed.

Imagine how well they could do if they actually tried in the US. In my 6th period class a girl just had a windows phone, an icon, and I remarked to her how much I like those phones and then another student took out his wp. MS needs to release more phones and make them available to anyone that wants one.

KageMaru

This.

I usually turn off the ringer when I have headphones on because it is way too loud when I'm listening to music.

That actually work for you? I've tried turning down Ringer + Notification to 0 but notifications and ringtones still follow my headset volume.

Imagine how well they could do if they actually tried in the US. In my 6th period class a girl just had a windows phone, an icon, and I remarked to her how much I like those phones and then another student took out his wp. MS needs to release more phones and make them available to anyone that wants one.
I want to see a surface phone with the colors of Lumia (cyan, green, pink.....whatever, but striking) and pureview optics. MmmmmMmmMmMmMm

dLMN8R

I'm hoping that all these problems with disparate models and lack of choice are just remnants from the fact that the Nokia acquisition took a lot longer than expected. That if it went through earlier, we'd have more choices, but since it took so long, it was too late to get things ready in time for the holidays.

MCD

I'm hoping that all these problems with disparate models and lack of choice are just remnants from the fact that the Nokia acquisition took a lot longer than expected. That if it went through earlier, we'd have more choices, but since it took so long, it was too late to get things ready in time for the holidays.

I still believe that MS got scared of the big boys and cancelled everything high end this year.

I mean, Satya doesn't need a bad start after all.

PG2G

I still believe that MS got scared of the big boys and cancelled everything high end this year.

I mean, Satya doesn't need a bad start after all.

What is there to be scared of? None of the big boys did anything special.

n64coder

Imagine how well they could do if they actually tried in the US. In my 6th period class a girl just had a windows phone, an icon, and I remarked to her how much I like those phones and then another student took out his wp.

At lunch time I was chatting with my brother-in-law who needs a new phone. I'm selling him on getting a free Lumia 630 through Cricket by adding him to my family plan.

I also plan to get my daughter a new phone for Christmas. It will be some sort of Lumia. Definitely not the iphone. Fuck that.

Microsoft didn't release anything more than the 730/830 because the carriers simply aren't interested. You are only given so many chances to sell your platform and maintain valuable shelf space in retail. Once sales drop, you are moved to the back of the store. Consumers are more interested in iPhones and Galaxies, that's fact.

Like others have mentioned, Microsoft should sell a Nexus type device directly to consumers and then work with retailers like Target and Walmart to carry the 635.

hankster

WP revenue down 46% though. No WP licensing fees coming in now either.
That's OK. Its offset by all the android revenue they get.

Speaking of which - that android lock screen app they released is not bad at all. On my OPO its almost like having glance back. Almost...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
This.

that's strange, I don't have this problem at all.

this is highly annoying.

It's a federal law compliance thing. It sucks, but it is what it is
I don't recall ever being warned by my iPhone about loud volume? And I have to turn my phone up pretty loud when I get on the bus, cause I sit in the back next to the engine.

Should we make a thread for this? Its positive all around, what with Surface and Lumia both being up.
Why so the haters in OT can make snide remarks and troll?

That said two of my coworkers in the last month bought surface pro 3s. Two of my coworkers in the UK both have 930s. And I was at a conference today and a guy I sat next to had a HTC m8 windows phone version with his surface pro 3. He previously had an icon but said it was too big so he switched.

Top Bottom