• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some pics of my 830

WP_20141018_09_14_29_Pro_zps143852f1.jpg

WP_20141018_09_14_11_Pro_zpse7546443.jpg

WP_20141018_09_13_54_Pro_zpsf806021d.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Does it feels as good as it looks?

Yup :) the soft polycarbonate feels nice.

The weight is perfect, imo. Going any lighter would start to feel weird. Battery life has been solid. Been using it for 16 hours today and still have 30% left and that's with several email being pushed and 10 apps running in the background.

Also as an aside, Zoo Tycoon on WP is pretty fun.

royalan

There she blows, everyone. The Flagship:

"I wouldn't comment on future product announcements, but what I can say is that that we are looking forward to unveiling a Microsoft Lumia device soon."

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-microsoft-lumia-device-coming-soon-nokia-name-fades

Quick! Lets get beside ourselves with irrational hope!

They will announce the Microsoft Lumia 1030!!!

5.3 inch HD screen
Snapdragon 801
Upgraded 41 mega-pixel camera with faster start-up time and a wider aperture
3GB Ram
32GB internal storage
SD card support

And it'll launch in November for ALL carriers and Unlocked!

ibcbXHKhKSHOMA.gif

NeOak

Magni

There she blows, everyone. The Flagship:

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-microsoft-lumia-device-coming-soon-nokia-name-fades

Quick! Lets get beside ourselves with irrational hope!

They will announce the Microsoft Lumia 1030!!!

5.3 inch HD screen
Snapdragon 801
Upgraded 41 mega-pixel camera with faster start-up time and a wider aperture
3GB Ram
32GB internal storage
SD card support

ibcbXHKhKSHOMA.gif

I'm expecting the Microsoft Lumia [Icon-like name], only on AT&T on November 7th.
new name for the 830 in the US.

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed once again.

hadareud

The Translator
Should have gone with Lumia. Microsoft is going to be a hard sell in Europe, which is their strongest market.

That said, I can understand why they want to be bullish about their own brand and that they don't want to hide it.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, but on the phones Nokia is replaced with Microsoft, rather than Lumia.

From a branding perspective I think it would have been smarter to put Lumia on there, much like they do with Surface on the Surface.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not sure that the Nokia name itself is still that important, apart from the nostalgia that's attached to it.

I think Lumia is a name that's pretty widely accepted by now.

Ape

Banned
I just want a true successor to the 920. It's hard to believe how dainty the iPhone 6 feels, especially in comparison to my old cyan tank. When Windows 10 phone series hits there really should be a 920 hardware variant so that I can pick it up.

hitgirl

I just want a true successor to the 920. It's hard to believe how dainty the iPhone 6 feels, especially in comparison to my old cyan tank. When Windows 10 phone series hits there really should be a 920 hardware variant so that I can pick it up.

Yea, the 920 has a great hand feel to it with it's heft. I just got a 920 a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.

stktt

Banned
After a couple of weeks with the 930, I can safely say the omission of Glance hasn't been very troubling. The overall package is a big upgrade in comparison to the 920.

Yup :) the soft polycarbonate feels nice.

The weight is perfect, imo. Going any lighter would start to feel weird. Battery life has been solid. Been using it for 16 hours today and still have 30% left and that's with several email being pushed and 10 apps running in the background.

Also as an aside, Zoo Tycoon on WP is pretty fun.

How far are you in Zoo Tycoon? I stopped playing around Chapter Four when I realized the timers and prices were getting steeper than the revenue being generated. The top level feeding bins only last for around three hours for some animals, leading to a scenario where I'm using most money generated from shops to heal sick animals, at which point I don't have enough money to proceed with expansions. It started out fun, but the gameplay quickly began to feel like an aggressive attempt at pushing microtransactions.

That, or I'm just not a very good zookeeper.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After a couple of weeks with the 930, I can safely say the omission of Glance hasn't been very troubling. The overall package is a big upgrade in comparison to the 920.

How far are you in Zoo Tycoon? I stopped playing around Chapter Four when I realized the timers and prices were getting steeper than the revenue being generated. The top level feeding bins only last for around three hours for some animals, leading to a scenario where I'm using most money generated from shops to heal sick animals, at which point I don't have enough money to proceed with expansions. It started out fun, but the gameplay quickly began to feel like an aggressive attempt at pushing microtransactions.

That, or I'm just not a very good zookeeper.

Hmmmm. I'm not that far. Sucks that microtransaction can ruin some games. Hopefully they will do some updates to correct things.

Some pics of my 830

Are you using Canadian or US Cortana? Is Canadian Cortana still in Alpha?

Zoo Tycoon sounds like Age of Empires Castle Siege. It's fun at first but as you progress every little upgrade takes a day to complete, you're restricted to 4 simultaneous upgrades, and the resource generation rate doesn't keep up with the ballooning upgrade costs. It basically forces you to play it once a day or use money to speed up progress.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using Canadian or US Cortana? Is Canadian Cortana still in Alpha?

Zoo Tycoon sounds like Age of Empires Castle Siege. It's fun at first but as you progress every little upgrade takes a day to complete, you're restricted to 4 simultaneous upgrades, and the resource generation rate doesn't keep up with the ballooning upgrade costs. It basically forces you to play it once a day or use money to speed up progress.

I use US Cortana, waaaaayyyyyyy better.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Soooo my Lumia 620 was on its last legs, it didn't like the fact that I dropped it more than a few times and shockingly enough, they don't swim. The battery was loose, it would turn off randomly because of that. Also the Dev Preview isn't the greatest on 512mb devices, lots of resuming. Then of course Devs don't seem to optimize their apps to the lowest end devices a lot of the times so more than a few apps would just quit when opening. Annoying. Anyway, I was in the market for a new phone and nowadays i just buy unlocked and get my service from Straight Talk etc... Didn't care for the WP phones i could get unlocked (and the prices) on the market in the US. Would have gone for the 930 but nope, not sold in the US, wouldn't have gotten LTE if I imported it. Soooo Android it is and I went with the Nexus 5. Good Priced phone.

I still prefer the Windows Phone OS. It is a much better out of the box experience imo. (having to get apps just to make the people app in android usable etc..) Miss Live Tiles, Bing apps etc.. but its nice having quality and up to date applications for everything. WP had some great apps here and there (nextgen reader), but a lot of the times you would get an app from some major service and they would never update it. Anyway, I still have my 620 so I will keep an eye on WP but right now it is Android for mobile for me. Windows for Laptop/Tablet/Desktop.

/debbiedowner
lolol

I am going to guess AT&T exclusivity with no other phones announced.

This is the main reason why I just bought a Nexus 5.

MarkusRJR

Random question: does anyone know if the web version of Xbox Video and Xbox Music work on Chromebooks? I'm worried Xbox Video uses silverlight or something and won't play.

I just bought Evil Dead and want to watch it at my friend's place, but she only uses Google products.

Prez

Have any worthwhile apps/games come out in the last 2 months? I don't really know where to look to find out about new good apps (I don't like WPCentral).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Anyone have any idea why some music transferred from my iTunes library keeps it's .mp3 extension and some doesn't? Can't fucking figure it out for the life of me.

edit: I think it could have something to do with ID3 tags. My songs with v2.4 tags keep the MP3 extensions, but it seems anything with an earlier version is ok. SO I'm going through now and converting all the ID3 tags to 2.3 to see if that fixes it.

edit 2: Confirmed. For any of you who have noticed that some of your songs might be displaying their file extension and some aren't, you need ot make sure you go through your iTunes library and do a mass ID3 tag change to version 2.3. Windows Phone doesn't seem to play nice with 2.4

hitgirl

Going to try leaving my mp3 player behind and going with a paid music streaming service. I have a lumia 928 what's better Pandora or xbox music streaming? I don't listen to hardly any mainstream music; mostly 90s rock, punk, and stuff like that. Can Xbox music streaming work without wifi, mostly for traveling? I might just go with that because it seems they have pandora stations but I can also stream my music collection back at home.

NeOak

Going to try leaving my mp3 player behind and going with a paid music streaming service. I have a lumia 928 what's better Pandora or xbox music streaming? I don't listen to hardly any mainstream music; mostly 90s rock, punk, and stuff like that. Can Xbox music streaming work without wifi, mostly for traveling? I might just go with that because it seems they have pandora stations but I can also stream my music collection back at home.

Why don't you give them a try? They might have differences in the library that may tip you to one or the other.

Watevaman

My Icon on Verizon got an update last night/this morning for the DP. Anyone know what it does?

Only time will tell if it fixed the wi-fi and screen issues I have.

MCD

We really need colors in Windows Phone 10. I played recently with my friend's Galaxy S3 and the store is so colorful, with app videos to boot.

Time to freshen the UI a bit. And please, de-uglify the store. Everything is black and boring.

We really need colors in Windows Phone 10. I played recently with my friend's Galaxy S3 and the store is so colorful, with app videos to boot.

Time to freshen the UI a bit. And please, de-uglify the store. Everything is black and boring.

The use of colors is the reason why I think that Android 5.0 looks so amazing. I really love it.

stktt

Banned
I have no real preference in regards to color schemes. The current accent color motif generally looks beautiful, but I would have no problem with all platforms switching over to a broader palette. The MSN apps (and Windows 8 in general) show losing the accent color wouldn't be much of an issue.

hitgirl

How the heck to I pair these NFC headphones I have with my Lumia 928? Tapping it against eachother and nothing is happening..

Top Bottom