• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
I forget who it was, but someone in this thread suggested Proclip phone holders. I got one based on that suggestion and it's really great. Was expensive, but it's worth the money.

Thanks!

kazinova

Just a heads up: I've been experiencing a ton of crashes and hard resets with the latest "critical update" might be a phone problem or it might be OS related.

As you were.

n64coder

Just a heads up: I've been experiencing a ton of crashes and hard resets with the latest "critical update" might be a phone problem or it might be OS related.

No issues from me. It does seem faster with less resuming for me as others have mentioned.

As you were.
My phone was going nuts the first few hours I had the update (freezing, display going black, restarting), but after a few hours the issues went away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

For me, 1TB per user for up to 5 users is effectively unlimited already. I guess MS realised the same thing and they can market it as 'unlimited' without any real change in what storage they have to plan for.

I've never actually backed a computer up to the cloud - almost tempted to try just for the hell of it. Will windows backup go directly to onedrive?

Edit: I don't see how it is competing with dropbox though. Dropbox never gave you that much free space - but their synchronisation is so much better than the onedrive app. I still have all my documents backed up using dropbox because of that, and no amount of space will get me to change until MS improve how onedrive syncs between cloud and computers. I do use onedrive for my photos though (will probably upload my music now too - although its all on google anyway)

Awesome, and my Office 365 just got that much better.

As you were.
No problems here... instead my phone is actually running better than before.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Edit: I don't see how it is competing with dropbox though. Dropbox never gave you that much free space - but their synchronisation is so much better than the onedrive app. I still have all my documents backed up using dropbox because of that, and no amount of space will get me to change until MS improve how onedrive syncs between cloud and computers. I do use onedrive for my photos though (will probably upload my music now too - although its all on google anyway)

This. I'm tempted to pay to upgrade Dropbox because the file sync is terrible for onedrive. It only works well on windows 7, and even there it isn't as good as Dropbox. I'll probably switch my school and work files to Dropbox and just use onedrive for media and files I don't edit often.

ElNino

o'rly that's good to hear. That wasn't an option a while back. Guess it got fixed.
Yeah, it was updated at some point to enable it. I don't use it normally though.

What I'm not sure of though (and I'd like to see as on option), is if the manual uploading through the OneDrive app or Photo hub would send the full res version if you wanted. As far as I know, this will still only upload the 5MP version.

KageMaru

I recorded three videos of a concert my girlfriend played in but two of the three videos are too large to backup from my phone to OneDrive. So I move them over to a laptop try to upload but it keeps failing about half way through the process. What's the point in supporting 10GB uploads if the service can't handle a 2GB upload?!

Edit:

Yeah, it was updated at some point to enable it. I don't use it normally though.

What I'm not sure of though (and I'd like to see as on option), is if the manual uploading through the OneDrive app or Photo hub would send the full res version if you wanted. As far as I know, this will still only upload the 5MP version.

I believe it uploads both versions now. Either that or you could use the files app to upload the high resolution copies.

PG2G

I believe the OneDrive 2GB file limit was increased just last month, unless it hasn't completely rolled out yet. Or do you mean the upload just fails?

hadareud

The Translator
What's not working with the Onedrive syncing? I use it on a laptop, a PC, a tablet and my phone and I've never seen a document not being up to date.

So I went to a bar this past Saturday evening for a friend's bday celebration. It was nearly pitch dark inside and there was a group of about 30 people. End of the evening comes and they wanna take a group pic. A couple of iPhone owners attempted to take a pic, having to step back further and further to fit everyone in. Flash barely reaches and the low light environment is creating blurry pics for both iPhone 5 owners. Next an iPhone 6 owner and a Nexus 5 owner try, still blurry. I then pull out my Lumia 1020 with it's xenon flash and the picture is finally in focus. I then get hounded from people asking them to either text/tag the photo and also get a few complements on my phone.

Oh, picture wasn't blurry but the white balance was a slight bit off. Lumia Denim software and its flash/no flash scrubber bar would have been amazing to use for that shot. My 1020 probably won't get the software though.

f0lken

Does anyone here really expect Microsoft to make phones in 2016, if they continue at this rate?

*Jump to September 2016,,,

MS: Mmmm, Nokia sure is making money from all its Android phones, we should buy them to create tons of awesome, top of the line Windows Phones!!!!

So I went to a bar this past Saturday evening for a friend's bday celebration. It was nearly pitch dark inside and there was a group of about 30 people. End of the evening comes and they wanna take a group pic. A couple of iPhone owners attempted to take a pic, having to step back further and further to fit everyone in. Flash barely reaches and the low light environment is creating blurry pics for both iPhone 5 owners. Next an iPhone 6 owner and a Nexus 5 owner try, still blurry. I then pull out my Lumia 1020 with it's xenon flash and the picture is finally in focus. I then get hounded from people asking them to either text/tag the photo and also get a few complements on my phone.

Oh, picture wasn't blurry but the white balance was a slight bit off. Lumia Denim software and its flash/no flash scrubber bar would have been amazing to use for that shot. My 1020 probably won't get the software though.

This sounds like a commercial haha.

KageMaru

I believe the OneDrive 2GB file limit was increased just last month, unless it hasn't completely rolled out yet. Or do you mean the upload just fails?

When I try to upload from my phone, I get a message that the file is too large. This message pops up for both the 1.5GB and 2.02GB videos. When I try to upload either to one drive from a laptop, it will get about half way done before failing. When I get home I could try again and see what message it gives exactly.

I love comparing pictures from other phones. Was just doing that over the weekend with my gf's galaxy S4 against my Icon. The picture quality is usually night and day compared to what my friends typically use.

Anyone know where I might find the first party Nokia flip case for 920? Seems impossible.
I don't remember Nokia made any flip case for the 920. I only recall the TPU one.

I have only seen 3rd party one. Actually I still have mine leather wallet case. If you want it PM me and I will mail them to you.

Special C

My icon does some of the most infuriating things. My building at work is a deadzone (underground) and whenever I leave I have to turn my phone off and on to get it to pick reception back up. Also when I take it out of airplane mode it leaves bluetooth and wifi off even if they were on to begin with. Sometimes when I volume my phone back up it turns the volume up but it doesn't ring. When I go to setting the volume is maxed but Ringer is still set to "off".

I really like this phone for the most part but these little things make me so angry.....

dLMN8R

Does anyone here really expect Microsoft to make phones in 2016, if they continue at this rate?

Sure. The current Lumia numbers show there's still at least some strength in their low/mid-range offerings abroad.

At this time, Microsoft hasn't actually produced a Lumia. Everything releasing this year is still Nokia. A phone needs at least a year or two end-to-end. So even phones coming out around Windows 10's release will probably be mostly Nokia designed

(just a guess - i have no inside info on any upcoming hardware)

Nero3000

Return of GOAT colour:

YnpNxJ0.jpg

hitgirl

Does the Xbox Music $10 a month cover like unlimited cloud streaming of music. So if I'm using my phone with no wifi does streaming music use my data plan? If it doesn't then $10 sounds pretty darn steep for just radio streaming..

Top Bottom