• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hwalker84

Bah another Xbox music question. Since I have Xbox Music subscription and Office 365 subscription I was wondering if I could use my 1TB of storage for my music collection. Or do I need a physical copy of all my music stored on one computer. Xbox Music not exactly upfront with letting you see directly what albums are in the cloud..

The French interns promised this awhile ago. Not yet.

will probably pick up that band tomorrow. the strap buckle looks questionable and i still have a lot of questions about the band but i'm bored and want a new toy.

The band looks cool and I've kind of started to bite on the idea of the fitness/health band, but $200 and only 48 hours of battery life don't exactly have me chomping at the bit. Going to have to think about it a bit.

I like the fitness band, now just give me awesome hardware and I'll be back.

I returned my Pebble few days ago and was going to wait for Fitbit Surge but this might do. The Surge is really thick and won't be available until next year. I am going to MS store tomorrow and check this out.

It said you can order on-line now.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...?ClickID=ar0st5lks0nvazyt009vkavkw9vkyo99vllr

I wish they would make charging stand for it, the charging on Pebble was terrible and this look to have the same problem.

Milchjon

Microsoft Band looks like a sweet device that you would never spend 200 bucks on.

Also looks too inconspicuous. Expected something prettier. Maybe if they do a cyan one...

Edit: Also wish it was truly water proof.

hadareud

The Translator
Looks like a nice device for those who like that sort of thing.

Two downsides: battery life and it should be water proof.

Also, while they're finally releasing something immediately after announcing it, their lack of any sort of information on when/if they're going to release it in the rest of the world is just ridiculous and a return to old form.

Could well be the Zune all over again. A very nice product bollocksed by their lack of conviction.

Nero3000

Can you control your music from it?

Looks alright if a bit chunky from the website. Bezel seems massive.

Might be worth waiting for 2nd gen, will be waiting anyway.

Also is anything of the Band US focused. I dont understand why it would be limited to the US right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What band?

Edit: hmm looks pretty nice. Heart rate will be unreliable as it seems wrist based measurements aren't great. But sleep monitoring could be good if combined with a sleep sensitive alarm, and cortana integration seems interesting, along with notifications as long as they are discreet (vibration rather than noise)

US only but I suppose it should work if you import?

I am a bit unsure about the point though. Steps are already tracked by more recent phones, so they could issue 'encouragement' to keep active. Heart rate won't be accurate enough for cardio zone type exercise.

What band?

The new Microsoft Band.

1ESchgz.png

Not a great name, btw. But still better than coming up with something cool or edgy. I wonder if they were inspired by the Apple Watch name. Hopefully they drop the Lumia name too and call the next round of phones "Microsoft Phone" with a numbering from 1-4.

Edit: hmm looks pretty nice. Heart rate will be unreliable as it seems wrist based measurements aren't great. But sleep monitoring could be good if combined with a sleep sensitive alarm, and cortana integration seems interesting, along with notifications as long as they are discreet (vibration rather than noise)

US only but I suppose it should work if you import?

I am a bit unsure about the point though. Steps are already tracked by more recent phones, so they could issue 'encouragement' to keep active. Heart rate won't be accurate enough for cardio zone type exercise.

The band should work if you import it (probably still cheaper than the retail price in the local currencies), but I tried to download the MS Health app on my Nexus 5 yesterday and couldn't from the Play Store, because it was region locked. I suppose I could sideload the APK, but I'm not sure how it would work on a Windows Phone or iPhone. As for the pedometer in phones. I just made a post in the Android thread complaining about the steps counted by pedometer on my Nexus 5. It reported 10 steps as 30 steps in Google Fit. Unless I made something wrong, I'm not sure how I could trust these things (unless they have a very specific motion sensor in phones, dedicated to that).

About to buy the Microsoft Band. Really wish it was waterproof.

Please post impressions. I can't wait to hear them.

hwalker84

The band should work if you import it (probably still cheaper than the retail price in the local currencies), but I tried to download the MS Health app on my Nexus 5 yesterday and couldn't from the Play Store, because it was region locked. I suppose I could sideload the APK, but I'm not sure how it would work on a Windows Phone or iPhone. As for the pedometer in phones. I just made a post in the Android thread complaining about the steps counted by pedometer on my Nexus 5. It reported 10 steps as 30 steps in Google Fit. Unless I made something wrong, I'm not sure how I could trust these things (unless they have a very specific motion sensor in phones, dedicated to that).

Please post impressions. I can't wait to hear them.

I mean I'm about to hit buy on the Microsoft site or debating traveling to the complete opposite side of my city to a Microsoft store tomorrow. Hmm

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The band should work if you import it (probably still cheaper than the retail price in the local currencies), but I tried to download the MS Health app on my Nexus 5 yesterday and couldn't from the Play Store, because it was region locked.
i just installed it on my Nexus 5 just now, looks like it requires a Band to do anything with the app.

JaggedSac

Anyone know of any Microsoft store coupons?

You can get 5% off pretty easily from Bing Rewards.

Might get the band if it goes on sale or something. I certainly don't care about smart watches, but these new fitness bands might be kinda cool to motivate my ass to do some exercise.

Milchjon

The Health app doesn't even let me enter without pairing a Band.

It also wants me to enter my height and weight in feet and lbs, which is total bullshit. Shame on you, America!

hwalker84

You can get 5% off pretty easily from Bing Rewards.

Might get the band if it goes on sale or something. I certainly don't care about smart watches, but these new fitness bands might be kinda cool to motivate my ass to do some exercise.

I always forget about Bing rewards. Thanks for the heads up.

The Health app doesn't even let me enter without pairing a Band.

It also wants me to enter my height and weight in feet and lbs, which is total bullshit. Shame on you, America!

Height in feet and weight in lbs? So that's why they're only selling it in the US!

1408.gif

i just installed it on my Nexus 5 just now, looks like it requires a Band to do anything with the app.

Weird, I thought the health app was a hub for more than just the MS Band.

Health app is different from the MSN/Bing Health & Fitness.

Also, this is a limited release because MS had to ship quietly and quickly. It isn't even available through other channels besides the Microsoft store.

Health app is different from the MSN/Bing Health & Fitness.

Also, this is a limited release because MS had to ship quietly and quickly. It isn't even available through other channels besides the Microsoft store.

But Health is a platform, not a companion app for the Band.

"Microsoft Health is a cloud-based service that helps you live healthier by providing actionable insights based on data gathered from the fitness devices and apps that you use every day. Activity-tracking devices like the new Microsoft Band, smart watches, and mobile phones plus services like RunKeeper or MyFitnessPal connect easily to Microsoft Health. Using this fitness data and our Intelligence Engine in the cloud, Microsoft Health provides valuable, personal insights so you can reach your fitness goals."

"Microsoft Health will unite data from different health and fitness devices and services in a single, secure location. Once stored in Microsoft Health, you can combine the data you generate from different devices and services – steps, calories, heart rate and more – to receive powerful insights from our Intelligence Engine."

It has to work without the Band.

Here is what Joe had to say regarding the availability.

"Folks asking about #MSBand - We’re starting out in the US to learn and get feedback for a little while. Definitely stay tuned!"

Good to see that they're still learning. I guess it takes a decade or so to make and distribute hardware properly. I expect the Band to launch in 2016 in Europe. The Fitness band beta test should be over by then. Can't wait.

So I've had my 930 for a few days and...I'm sending it back.

There is visible set of vertical bars 'ghosted' on the screen, can be seen very clearly when panning images left to right.

Super, super annoyed.

Paganmoon

Anyone use the Lync app on newer devices (newer than 1020)? How's the resuming, and starting of conversations with better hardware?

The OT thread for the Band is less snarky than in here. True progress.

I apologize for the snark, but I'm really interested in the band would really like to get my hands on one. The fact that it's again an US only product sours me a bit.

Perhaps it's really better to wait for the second generation anyway, if only for the hope that they'll use a curved display for the next one.

Other than that I can't wait for the reviews. I'm curious to see how accurate all sensors really are, but considering the fact that it was in development for a good while, I expect them to nail that part.

Nero3000

Anyone use the Lync app on newer devices (newer than 1020)? How's the resuming, and starting of conversations with better hardware?

the 2010 version isnt great (on a 930)

But i think thats more to do with how the phone app connects to the server. Maybe 2013 is better, but my department hasnt allowed it.

Paganmoon

the 2010 version isnt great (on a 930)

But i think thats more to do with how the phone app connects to the server. Maybe 2013 is better, but my department hasnt allowed it.

We're running 2013, and the resuming, when unlocking phone is annoying as hell, also miss tons of conversations cause it doesn't "open in time", when I click the notifications on my 1020. In an active conversation, that I've managed to open, it works great. Voice, Video, even desktop sharing works great. But getting to the damned conversation in the first place... Was hoping it was an issue with the hardware and not the Lync 2013 software.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I apologize for the snark, but I'm really interested in the band would really like to get my hands on one. The fact that it's again an US only product sours me a bit.

Perhaps it's really better to wait for the second generation anyway, if only for the hope that they'll use a curved display for the next one.

Other than that I can't wait for the reviews. I'm curious to see how accurate all sensors really are, but considering the fact that it was in development for a good while, I expect them to nail that part.

Haha, no worries. Microsoft's lack of international roll out bugs me as well. The fact that Bing/Cortana is gimped in Canada is quite annoying. Thankfully I can switch regions, but not exactly ideal.

dLMN8R

In this case I think US-only makes sense.

For Zune, Bing, etc. there's really no excuse. Long-rumored products, high expectations, etc.

The Microsoft Band came out of nowhere, and has limited inventory to start.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

For Zune, Bing, etc. there's really no excuse. Long-rumored products, high expectations, etc.

Yeah, I imagine it wont be long before the Band sees a wider release. Boxing day would be awesome.

hitgirl

Just not seeing the point of tech bands and I'm a health nut. Keeping track of all that stuff is easy and I don't want to wear anything when I'm lifting because lifting heavy weights is uncomfortable enough. I also don't care what's going on twitter and don't need to be jacked in 24/7. Ah but that is just me.. I think its cool that people are interested in tracking their stuff to be more healthy, but you certainty don't ned a $200 bracelet to do that.

What worries me a bit is the lack of any date or road map. Even a "Q1 2015" would've been great. But I'm sensitive to these kind of announcements anyway. Just thinking about Sega announcing VC for PC without a date or Konami announcing MGS:GZ for PC months ago with a Steam page and all and still no date. I just don't get it.

Zeknurn

I said I was looking for something to upgrade to from my Fitbit Flex and the Band looks pretty much like the ideal product for me. It's a bit pricey though.
Aside from hearing general impressions, I need to know how usable it is for non-US plebs before picking one up. Luckily it seems like Peter Bright is on the case.

Daniel Rubino is livetweeting his impressions btw.

@Daniel_Rubino: So yeah, wearing the #MicrosoftBand with face inwards is more comfortable/easier to read/interact with than wearing it as a watch
@Daniel_Rubino: So the GF just told me she finds the #MicrosoftBand to be 'amazing', which is odd b/c she is never impressed by any technology. Like ever.
@Daniel_Rubino: According to @joebelfiore the #MicrosoftBand should work with just the 8.1 Preview installed. I'll double check in a bit.

and his 16 minute unboxing/hands-on video is up
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-unboxing

Just not seeing the point of tech bands and I'm a health nut. Keeping track of all that stuff is easy and I don't want to wear anything when I'm lifting because lifting heavy weights is uncomfortable enough. I also don't care what's going on twitter and don't need to be jacked in 24/7. Ah but that is just me.. I think its cool that people are interested in tracking their stuff to be more healthy, but you certainty don't ned a $200 bracelet to do that.

No you don't, just like you don't really need smartphone or other gadgets but it is because we love gadgets. That said, having Pebble for a week, the best part really is getting text notification on your wrist. While I am working I can quickly check who it's from and if it's emergency that I need to response right away. Having calendar and facebook on top is a big plus.

Nero3000

Ok new what's app is great. Now can someone tell them to use 8.1 notifications?

Also sitting next to a 6+ user on train, that thing is huuuuge.

Top Bottom