• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Paul Thurott said on What the Tech to look at his site around 9:30 tomorrow. He said what he posts you won't need to look at the liveblog, says he already knows everything.
tumblr_llqsj7dXQG1qa9yvvo1_500.gif

Paul Thurott said on What the Tech to look at his site around 9:30 tomorrow. He said what he posts you won't need to look at the liveblog, says he already knows everything.

So screw an extra thread for that then. It's not like we have many #wpdevs here anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's a little on the high side now, but it does have an incredible camera.

I'm surprised they didn't splurge for the pentaband at that price though.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/19/unique-nokia-808-pureview-coming-to-america/

UPDATE: We incorrectly stated that the Nokia 808 PureView would only work with T-Mobile at 2G speeds. This was caused by an error in the spec sheet. We’re sorry about any confusion. The Nokia 808 PureView works just fine with T-Mobile in the United States.
:|

Troll

Banned
Since MS Nerd "confirmed" that the Verizon, Nokia and MS conferences were all connected, can we add him to the "banable" source list

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Since I nailed yesterday's announcement, I'm going to assume I have more "cred" in this here thread. So listen up as I tell you what tomorrow is going to be about:

-Flash player in browser
-Android apps will work in emulation
-Camera mode where you can select frames even BEFORE you took your picture
-BBM built-in
-WebOS-like card based system with true multi-tasking, no more of that hydrate-dehydrate nonsense
-New slogan: "Amateur Hour is Over"

HYPE!!

Edit:
Paul Thurott is going to reveal all the details and then a woman's clothes fall off.

Thurrot is making up for knowing absolutely nothing about the Surface announcement. He shouldn't feel horrible, that was a clinic on how to keep things under wraps. I know Paul feels salty that he didn't fly out there for the biggest event of the summer. Unless you think faux Google Maps and restaurant recommendations was exciting. Or if you think a 7" Acer tablet for cheap plus a version of the OS that is one step closer to not being absolutely terrible is newsworthy.

frontieruk

Since I nailed yesterday's announcement, I'm going to assume I have more "cred" in this here thread. So listen up as I tell you what tomorrow is going to be about:

-Flash player in browser
-Android apps will work in emulation
-Camera mode where you can select frames even BEFORE you took your picture
-BBM built-in
-WebOS-like card based system with true multi-tasking, no more of that hydrate-dehydrate nonsense
-New slogan: "Amateur Hour is Over"

HYPE!!

Edit:

Thurrot is making up for knowing absolutely nothing about the Surface announcement. He shouldn't feel horrible, that was a clinic on how to keep things under wraps. I know Paul feels salty that he didn't fly out there for the biggest event of the summer. Unless you think faux Google Maps and restaurant recommendations was exciting. Or if you think a 7" Acer tablet for cheap plus a version of the OS that is one step closer to not being absolutely terrible is newsworthy.

Wonder how long he cried for being a salty prima Donna

siddhu33

I can imagine MS making their own phone now, like a mini surface tablet , with WP8 built in, HD screen, multi-core processors, and all in a thin form factor (around 7mm thick).

Sigh... A man can dream.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can imagine MS making their own phone now, like a mini surface tablet , with WP8 built in, HD screen, multi-core processors, and all in a thin form factor (around 7mm thick).

Sigh... A man can dream.

Nokia can and very likely will do this, aside from the part where you said "WP8 bulit-in", that's just dumb. 5" and below is WP8, bigger and its WinRT.

Wonder how long he cried for being a salty prima Donna

I wish Paul was an Apple blogger.

kehs

Banned

Sigh... A man can dream.

MS: "Hey Nokia, use our software exclusively and make us cool phone!"

Nokia: awesome

MS Surface Phone

Nokia:

rage.jpg

Gamble

*sigh* if only Verizon had more then 1 WP I'd jump all over this OS but it would feel too much like downgrading if I got the trophy

Troll

Banned
*sigh* if only Verizon had more then 1 WP I'd jump all over this OS but it would feel too much like downgrading if I got the trophy

Next gen WP8 will be on all major carriers, hang off for a little bit. If Apollo sucks just get an iphone.

Milchjon

This thread is the biggest enthusiasm killer I've seen on GAF. When someone asks about WP7 it's usually "don't bother", when there's announcements it's "don't get to hyped", and with new apps/features it's "meh, it's missing XYZ".

WP7 is pretty great, I absolutely adore my Lumia, but any visitors of this thread would never know :-D

Troll

Banned
This thread is the biggest enthusiasm killer I've seen on GAF. When someone asks about WP7 it's usually "don't bother", when there's announcements it's "don't get to hyped", and with new apps/features it's "meh, it's missing XYZ".

WP7 is pretty great, I absolutely adore my Lumia, but any visitors of this thread would never know :-D

How many times do you have to burn yourself before you know fire is hot?

frontieruk

Pffft this post Smells of MS shill, like anyone loves their lumia enough to post it on teh interwebs :p /sarcasm

People who come in and ask usually get given an even handed assessment of the OS as is by some of the most hardcore phone users, even to the point of recommending a handset running a different OS if that's what will match the users needs, it's something I find refreshing in that everyone sees its faults and is willing to recommend another OS rather than persuade someone into a device which they may find frustrating.

WP7 doesn't suck why would WP8?

Because Windows 7 didn't but Windows 8 does.

Honestly, if WP8 is just more of the same, I'd be genuinely happy. Fix the notifications, do other cool stuff I have 0 interest in and enable developers to do more cool apps I don't care about. I just need a new phone because LG is just fucking shit and I hope that company crashes and burns.

I'm not saying it will. But it could. If they under deliver then that's that.

How would they "under deliver"?

frontieruk

Because Windows 7 didn't but Windows 8 does.

Honestly, if WP8 is just more of the same, I'd be genuinely happy. Fix the notifications, do other cool stuff I have 0 interest in and enable developers to do more cool apps I don't care about. I just need a new phone because LG is just fucking shit and I hope that company crashes and burns.

How would they "under deliver"?
Normally I'd say get an HTC but I've noticed that whatsapp and kik behave better on my lumia 710 than my Titan though they are on different carriers, I'd still lean to a nokia for my next everyday handset over HTC who've had my business since the hero

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What are the chances we get a Win Phone 8 dev beta tomorrow that we can all try and ghetto hack install on our phones?!?!?

PS: Is that 9:30 EST or PST for PT's site?

PG2G

What are the chances we get a Win Phone 8 dev beta tomorrow that we can all try and ghetto hack install on our phones?!?!?

I hope that happens. More likely... developers will walk away with (or be able to request) a phone that has the beta already installed. Especially given the upgrade (non)-situation.

And it is PST

frontieruk

PS: Is that 9:30 EST or PST for PT's site?

I hope that happens. More likely... developers will walk away with (or be able to request) a phone that has the beta already installed. Especially given the upgrade (non)-situation.

And it is PST

No beta after the walshing of handsets last time, earlier access to the sdk with the ability for devs to request a wp8 handset

Commodore

The KIN had only one good thing and that was the KIN Studio, nowadays knows as "your phone stuff in the cloud". If that doesn't happen tomorrow, I really don't know how to react.

I still kind of hope they implement something stylish along those lines in Skydrive. Their web interface still looks like crap. I still would love a nice web based history of everything I do with my phone, as well as having a backup of everything.

rm4Qrl.png

Concerning making a thread for the Summit tomorrow, its either someone makes a thread or we invite them all here. Where we try to stamp down excitement, joke at hype, guffaw at hopes and dreams. It's generally pretty chill, and I'm not entirely sure if we know what to do if MS nails tomorrow again.

clav

The Touchpad will still have more life in it than WP7 in a year, considering it runs Android and might run WinRT.

There was a rumor circulating last year regarding Windows 8 and the TouchPad as HP was experimenting with a copy compatible with it.

With HP laying off a number of employees, I don't see that happening unless Microsoft is willing to hire engineers and sell licenses for the product.

What would have to happen to make this project workable is if someone can dump a ROM of a working Windows RT system. That would require someone decrypting the secure boot UEFI that comes with these ARM devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom