• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

So tomorrow I have a chiropractors appointment at 12pm est which will last an hour. Should I come directly to here? Engadget? Wmpoweruser? Verge?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
from a leaked steve ballmer email:
And in the next few weeks we’ll see more great news and momentum from the Windows Phone Division and the Microsoft Office Division.

Our plans are well underway to unleash an incredible pipeline of new devices and services that consumers love and businesses need. Our work is getting noticed and our customers are excited.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39059494&postcount=5381

i wonder if that is a hint at more devices or just talking about the surface.

Troll

Banned
How would they "under deliver"?

Simple, if MS doesn't show an OS that is going to legitimately compete with iOS6 then it's time to switch. There is no reason to stay with a platform who's most recent release is comparable with the competitions last gen iterations.

If MS can show they have that, then we can all stay and be happy. If Apollo is an answer to iOS 5 then we should all bookmark the iOS OT.

I like Elop's letters more.

kehs

Banned
Simple, if MS doesn't show an OS that is going to legitimately compete with iOS6 then it's time to switch. There is no reason to stay with a platform who's most recent release is comparable with the competitions last gen iterations.

If MS can show they have that, then we can all stay and be happy. If Apollo is an answer to iOS 5 then we should all bookmark the iOS OT.

I like Elop's letters more.

WP already out competes iOS.

Not sale obviously....lol I meant functionality.

PG2G

How do you determine how WPX matches up to iOSX? There are some differences in core capabilities for sure, but there are so many things that WP does differently that it is really hard to compare.

If they can plug some holes in the multitasking and continue to do their own thing I'll be happy.

Troll

Banned
How do you determine how WPX matches up to iOSX? There are some differences in core capabilities for sure, but there are so many things that WP does differently that it is really hard to compare.

Video editing, Picture editing, Tellme software that can combat Siri and S Voice, Turn by turn, Better map integration, Way better multi tasking, back up your shit on the comp finally, Better Browsing (No excuse not to do things like share tabs with IE 10), bake skydrive into everything and make the app useless, SCREEN SHOTS....

Thats literally all of the top of my head, I am sure if I were to look at a feature comparison I could find 5x more.

quaere

There was a rumor circulating last year regarding Windows 8 and the TouchPad as HP was experimenting with a copy compatible with it.

With HP laying off a number of employees, I don't see that happening unless Microsoft is willing to hire engineers and sell licenses for the product.

What would have to happen to make this project workable is if someone can dump a ROM of a working Windows RT system. That would require someone decrypting the secure boot UEFI that comes with these ARM devices.
Waiting for someone to extract Office for Windows RT and run it on Wine on Android.

kehs

Banned
Video editing, Picture editing, Tellme software that can combat Siri and S Voice, Turn by turn, Better map integration, Way better multi tasking, back up your shit on the comp finally, Better Browsing (No excuse not to do things like share tabs with IE 10), bake skydrive into everything and make the app useless, SCREEN SHOTS....

Thats literally all of the top of my head, I am sure if I were to look at a feature comparison I could find 5x more.

Windows RT PE Tomorrow.

Commodore

Nice quick barometer. Pretty solid expectationsfor tomorrow for me too, gotta call a ditto.

Troll

Banned
Nice quick barometer. Pretty solid expectationsfor tomorrow for me too, gotta call a ditto.

I forgot about Universal Search, that is one thing I really miss from iOS

e:

Is anyone else just going to watch the livestream and ignore Thurrott's post? That's what I am going to do, so I'll be back in the thread after the show. I don't want to have that guy ruin anything for me.

There was a rumor circulating last year regarding Windows 8 and the TouchPad as HP was experimenting with a copy compatible with it.

With HP laying off a number of employees, I don't see that happening unless Microsoft is willing to hire engineers and sell licenses for the product.

What would have to happen to make this project workable is if someone can dump a ROM of a working Windows RT system. That would require someone decrypting the secure boot UEFI that comes with these ARM devices.

They were able to break Mac OS X which requires something very similar and make it install on other computers. I suspect they will be able to break WinRT as well in a similar way.

HP won't do it, the Palm division is essentially empty at this point and even the open-source WebOS project is close to dead due to all the employees abandoning ship for other companies.

If there is still a community developing for the Touchpad when WinRT ships, someone will try to find a way. If not, well, CM9 for Touchpad is running great these days, everything is working now except for the camera.

I hope you already bookmarked the iOS 6 thread.

giga

iMovie and iPhoto are paid apps. Not really fair to ask for their features to be integrated..

PG2G

iMovie and iPhoto are paid apps. Not really fair to ask for their features to be integrated..

There isn't really a benefit to integrating stuff like that anyway. WP makes it very easy to get to the necessary apps from the image/video.

I wonder how dev focused the information will be, since it was originally the WP Dev summit. We might not even find out about many of the consumer facing features. We'll see

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So tomorrow I have a chiropractors appointment at 12pm est which will last an hour. Should I come directly to here? Engadget? Wmpoweruser? Verge?

The correct answer is: re-schedule the chiropractor appointment.

Also, all the hp touchpad talk is silly. That device exemplifies the differences between what someone like soldier wants and what most people want. I made the touchpad op, I fought that device and software and tweaked it extensively. But that's not what I wanted to keep doing, so I sold it and bought an iPad. Anybody who has any sense and the money would've done the same, or at least gotten an actual android tablet.

Next time you see soldier post about windows phone and why it sucks, remember the guy is content with a tablet that dual boots operating systems, has no official support, and even half a year later doesn't have a working camera on the android boot. To each his own.

hwalker84

The correct answer is: re-schedule the chiropractor appointment.

Also, all the hp touchpad talk is silly. That device exemplifies the differences between what someone like soldier wants and what most people want. I made the touchpad op, I fought that device and software and tweaked it extensively. But that's not what I wanted to keep doing, so I sold it and bought an iPad. Anybody who has any sense and the money would've done the same, or at least gotten an actual android tablet.

Next time you see soldier post about windows phone and why it sucks, remember the guy is content with a tablet that dual boots operating systems, has no official support, and even half a year later doesn't have a working camera on the android boot. To each his own.

Honestly I kinda like the idea of missing the announcement and coming back and being blown away or catching up on a shit storm. I honestly think their will be neither. Just a decent amount of information and MS holding back on feature announcements for some odd reason.

source: a customer support rep

I guess we'll find out in a few hours if it's true

You have to follow the thread in the T-Mobile forum. It started two weeks ago with customers asking and bitching about the Lumia 900 and all they got told was that T-Mobile doesn't have any plans yet. Customers kept bitching and then finally that rep came with an answer that is "more than just a 'we don't have any plans for this device'".

http://translate.googleusercontent....i-euch&usg=ALkJrhgwJ6SSi-7JH5RH7KNP9XuRN4UxZw

DagsJT

If Microsoft just stop development completely for current-gen phones, then they'll lose my business. The Lumia 800 hasn't even been out that long and it's getting ditched? Poor form.

I can't see that being true. They are increasing support for low end phones so supporting the slightly older hardware in the 710 / 800 / 900 should he straight forward.
I also hope not as my 800 just arrived!

Fjolle

Why the fuck should a customer representative even know about that...

We'll all know in 4 hours, so speculating right now is waste of time anyway.

Why the fuck should a customer representative even know about that...

We'll all know in 4 hours, so speculating right now is waste of time anyway.

Because it's her job to get info like that for the bitching customers? Again, read the thread.

Customer: Where is the Lumia 900 for T-Mobile
Rep: We don't have any plans to offer the Lumia 900
Customer: Why not? This is BS, you're supposed to be the premier carrier for Windows Phone!
Another customer: Get the pitchforks!
Another rep chimes in: Alright, alright. So I asked around, because you kept bitching. Here is why:

Pachimari

I'm in for this event, hope we'll see what 'Apollo' (Windows Phone 8) is all about. Have I set my expectation accordingly?

If they convince me tonight and Nokia announces a smartphone as pretty as Lumia 800, then I'm in.

Fjolle

Because it's her job to get info like that for the bitching customers? Again, read the thread.

I read it.. They also talks about a Lumia 1000 in that thread ffs...

From the wording it sounds like one of the supporters reads the verge and concluded that it is impossible to update the software at all on the Lumia.

If the update information was available to telco customer supporters we would have gotten confirmations about it everywhere.

BTW! The Teched EU WP track will be published after the event today :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Brot, you're being a bigger wet towel than usual. Chill the fuck out dude.

And to the people freaking out over their phone not getting Apollo: Even if the current handsets dont get Apollo, that does not mean you won't get official software support from MS. Updates to core services are still possible, many even remotely without the need for firmware. Lets just see what they have to say at the conference, this is the worst possible time to freak out. I have a phone too, so it's not like I dont have a dog in this fight.

PG2G

I'm still hoping that if current phones won't get Windows Phone 8, they will get Windows Phone 7.x that has a lot of the features from 8.

hwalker84

Predictions:

WP7 to WP8 is possible
Device upgradablity to WP8 will be dependent on manufacture and/or carrier
No new devices shown today
WP8 Release window announced
Tango Release window announced
Developer's will be able to download WP8 next month
Skype not built into the OS

kehs

Banned

And to the people freaking out over their phone not getting Apollo: Even if the current handsets dont get Apollo, that does not mean you won't get official software support from MS. Updates to core services are still possible, many even remotely without the need for firmware. Lets just see what they have to say at the conference, this is the worst possible time to freak out. I have a phone too, so it's not like I dont have a dog in this fight.

Its like an Android thread up I'm here.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not sure it could be more clear that wp7 devices won't get the upgrade. I mean, it could happen, but a lot of well-connected people would have to be wrong, and not one reliable source has stated we will get Apollo.

So we can start by assuming that we won't get it and then hope that we at least get a subset of features, and on that front, I think there are good signals coming from leaks.

Edit: Copernicus, you are right, I'm getting flashbacks to my time with an android phone, and its not a good feeling. I think we were all hoping MS would be more like apple in terms of updates, but we've known for a year now that it's not the case. Carriers can screw things up, and now apparently so can Microsoft.

gcubed

its most likely going to just be in name only. It'll get most features except ones where MS deems the experience will be ruined due to limited RAM and chipset (they've used the excuse with Tango), but I dont think most people are going to notice much of a difference besides when they go into about phone and see the version.

That being said, for a wholesale kernel/arch change i just dont see customer service wanting to deal with it. Its not that its not physically possible, but its probably not something that can be reliably done over the air or something you want to let customers do since it would be a wholesale reprogram of the phone... but if you can barely tell the difference, who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom