• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

btw, I wasn't kidding with the "NINO" stuff. Today I learned that if you don't buy the Nexus from the Google Play Store, updates will be handled by Samsung or the carriers.

Hilarious shit.

Wut.

Still, I'll imagine you'll root the phone anyway and run a custom ROM so it won't be an issue.

Wut.

Still, I'll imagine you'll root the phone anyway and run a custom ROM so it won't be an issue.

That's what Coco quoted from XDA:

GSM/HSPA+ Models
takju - USA region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold in the USA through the Google Play Store
yakju - International region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold throughout western Europe.
yakjudv - Variant for Australia
yakjujp - Variant for the Middle East
yakjukr - Variant for South Korea
yakjusc - Variant for Japan
yakjuux - Variant for Canada
yakjuxe - Variant for Russia and the former Eastern Bloc
yakjuxw - Variant for certain carriers in Western Europe
yakjuzs - Variant for China and Hong Kong

CDMA/LTE Models
mysid - Variant for Verizon in the USA
mysidspr - Variant for Sprint in the USA

HOW CAN I TELL WHICH FIRMWARE I HAVE ON MY DEVICE
Using any file manager app, go into your /system folder and open the file called "build.prop". Find the line that starts with ro.product.name. Whatever comes after the equals sign (=), that's the firmware you have.

WHICH FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE AS OPPOSED TO SAMSUNG?

Google updates the following firmware variants:
takju
yakju
mysid

Every other variant is updated and maintained by Samsung.

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THE SPRINT GALAXY NEXUS GETS UPDATES FROM SAMSUNG AND NOT GOOGLE?!?!
Yep.

frontieruk

btw, I wasn't kidding with the "NINO" stuff. Today I learned that if you don't buy the Nexus from the Google Play Store, updates will be handled by Samsung or the carriers.

Hilarious shit.

You should of picked up a lumia 710 for £99 that would of seen you to wp8 :)

Good luck in android world rock by and tell us about your latest cooked rom and what doesn't work ;)

Are you buying it SIM free?

Yes, so I should be fine. I still think it's pretty bad and hope the rumors about the WP8 update policy are true.

You should of picked up a lumia 710 for £99 that would of seen you to wp8 :)

Good luck in android world rock by and tell us about your latest cooked rom and what doesn't work ;)

Speaking of the 710. Today I saw a carrier selling the 610 for the same price as the 710, which was right next to it. I felt bad for the customers that got fooled.

frontieruk

Yes, so I should be fine. I still think it's pretty bad and hope the rumors about the WP8 update policy are true.

Speaking of the 710. Today I saw a carrier selling the 610 for the same price as the 710, which was right next to it. I felt bad for the customers that got fooled.

Not seen a 610 in person but it reminds me of a HTC wildfire, I'd take the 710 over it just for being a bit different

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So when's the event that will tell us about all the consumer-facing features of wp8?

So dumb that they didn't just do it all at the summit.

kharma45

Any recs for the best android apps? Also, what's the best way to find apks??

Depends on what you need, but just going through the top free ones will get you started.

For finding apks, it's just a matter of searching the app and putting apk after the name, not that I'd advocate it if you're looking for the apk's of paid-for apps.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
*swoosh* giga was making a masterful, yet understated, commentary on the off topic direction this thread is taking. He knows where to find good apps, guys.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My friend complained about his HTC Titan on twitter (call issues, signal, gps, etc.).....

They sent him a Titan II for the cost of a warranty repair :/

I had a similar problem with my Focus with tiles having burnt into my screen. Luckily I was able to badger Best Buy into an exchange to a 900.

Why? Cause they didn't sell Focus' anymore? Omnia 7's aren't sold anymore either. If I'm lucky, the shop where I bought it might exange it for another model. Or they'll just send it to samsing and they'll put a new screen in '-.-

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Cause they didn't sell Focus' anymore? Omnia 7's aren't sold anymore either. If I'm lucky, the shop where I bought it might exange it for another model. Or they'll just send it to samsing and they'll put a new screen in '-.-

They didn't have them anymore and I had a extended warranty.

Commodore

It was great with all of you guys here, but it's time to say goodbye.

I hope you'll miss me.

And don't worry, I'll troll by every now and then.

n79nU.jpg

P.S.: RIP gutter

lols, your tagline Wait for Apollo just made this post ironic.
Thanks for all the hard work on the OPs. See ya on the other side of PureView.

Commodore

Shucks, trying to do the "air force" method of forcing Tango (killing wifi, pressing update) on my original Focus getting word it was working for Samsung devices. Apparently Focus S and Flash owners are reporting success, but Originals are striking out so far.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Coperdick is making the wp8 ot I believe.
I got the 7.8 one.

Makes sense. WP8 will bring the Android converts, probably even coperdickus himself.

7.8 is for the forsaken souls like you and me that are destined to languish with a prettied-up start screen.

Edit: shadow, what are YOU waiting for? I thought you would've bailed before brot and brett.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Amazon Kindle app finally got a mango update. Besides fast resume, another cool feature is deep linking. So you can pin the actual book you are reading to the start screen rather than just the kindle app and it'll take you straight to the book and page you're on. If that was there before, I never noticed it.

kehs

Banned
Makes sense. WP8 will bring the Android converts, probably even coperdickus himself.

7.8 is for the forsaken souls like you and me that are destined to languish with a prettied-up start screen.

Edit: shadow, what are YOU waiting for? I thought you would've bailed before brot and brett.

By MS metrics I'm already .3 points of the way there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Amazon Kindle app finally got a mango update. Besides fast resume, another cool feature is deep linking. So you can pin the actual book you are reading to the start screen rather than just the kindle app and it'll take you straight to the book and page you're on. If that was there before, I never noticed it.

Is it possible to use non-purchased eBooks with the app?

Snaku

Banned
Would it be nuts to get a Lumia 900 now? I love the look of the white version, the WP os is much more appealing to me, and I desperately need a new phone right now.

Doffen

Would it be nuts to get a Lumia 900 now? I love the look of the white version, the WP os is much more appealing to me, and I desperately need a new phone right now.

If you are buying off contract, then I would perhaps buy a cheaper WP phone which you can easily switch later.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

It is a fantastic phone, but I would buy one off-contract. ~$400 on eBay, ~ $350 on Craigslist.

Magni

Hey WP-GAF,

I've been an adept of the platform since launch, and was looking to upgrade my Omnia 7 this fall when the WP8 devices hit. BUT, I'm just about (at the airport on a layover right now, this isn't last minute at all haha) to spend eight months in the US, and I don't want to wait till the launch to have data on my phone (my Omnia doesn't work on 3G in NA).

So what would be the best thing to do? T-Mo has a no-contract unlimited text and 5Go of 4G plan for $30, but I'd need to buy the phone from them or Walmart, so I'm looking at $270 for a 710. How much would it sell for in four months?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks guys!

Also, any news concerning pentabend for WP8? As someone who frequently switches between Europe and NA, that'd be a godsend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom