• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBonk

Well, for what it's worth, my iPhone died from severe water damage so now I have to use the spare Lumia 900 my friend gave me.

I'm actually not too upset about it, so not all hope is lost for this thread.

Hey WP-GAF,

I've been an adept of the platform since launch, and was looking to upgrade my Omnia 7 this fall when the WP8 devices hit. BUT, I'm just about (at the airport on a layover right now, this isn't last minute at all haha) to spend eight months in the US, and I don't want to wait till the launch to have data on my phone (my Omnia doesn't work on 3G in NA).

So what would be the best thing to do? T-Mo has a no-contract unlimited text and 5Go of 4G plan for $30, but I'd need to buy the phone from them or Walmart, so I'm looking at $270 for a 710. How much would it sell for in four months?

Anything else I should be looking at.

You might want to wait for Windows Phone 8 this time around. The reason why I got a Lumia 900 right now is because I don't have any working phones in Singapore and I needed a contract plan anyway.

If you find yourself unable to miss the data connection you have right now, you might want to consider getting a phone from another platform, or the 900 (if you really, really want to dive into WP now). Don't bother with anything else. (The 710 you are planning to get should get the same amount of support as the 900 from Nokia, though - and you'll get WP7.8.)

Heck, I remain optimistic that WP7.8 won't just bring some features from WP8 - instead, it'll bring anything not restricted by hardware. I hope.

Well, for what it's worth, my iPhone died from severe water damage so now I have to use the spare Lumia 900 my friend gave me.

Think how long you'll be having that phone? I think it's pretty nice for me, who needs to get things done fast. You might be able to find help on using the phone in this thread should you ever need it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Spare lumia 900? Damn, son, you got some awesome friends. If my phone broke, I'd probably have to use some old android phone.

Edit: I checked eBay, and wow, lumias are a lot more affordable than I thought. About $275 for a new or great condition one, that means you could probably score one off Craigslist for a cool $200 or less depending on condition.

Spare lumia 900? Damn, son, you got some awesome friends. If my phone broke, I'd probably have to use some old android phone.

Edit: I checked eBay, and wow, lumias are a lot more affordable than I thought. About $275 for a new or great condition one, that means you could probably score one off Craigslist for a cool $200 or less depending on condition.

The Lumia is the Palm Pre of 2012.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Makes sense. WP8 will bring the Android converts, probably even coperdickus himself.

7.8 is for the forsaken souls like you and me that are destined to languish with a prettied-up start screen.

Edit: shadow, what are YOU waiting for? I thought you would've bailed before brot and brett.
I am waiting for the next nexus now. I know it's gonna be tri core or something else ridiculous. Plus I am not really a fan of the droid OT.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I am waiting for the next nexus now. I know it's gonna be tri core or something else ridiculous. Plus I am not really a fan of the droid OT.

Hold up, hold up: you're waiting until Apollo phones are out and you're STILL buying an android phone?

Ain't that some bullshit.

kharma45

Since LG hasn't pushed the Optimus 7 Tango update yet through Zune for OPN firmware devices just did the Zune disconnect trick and after about 5-6 goes it finally worked.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Hold up, hold up: you're waiting until Apollo phones are out and you're STILL buying an android phone?

Ain't that some bullshit.
Hey I've come this far. It's not like I won't give wp8 a chance. If Nokia comes out with something better than the 900 (in terms of looks) then I'll take that. I am not gonna completely abandon this platform. Well not yet.

Hey I've come this far. It's not like I won't give wp8 a chance. If Nokia comes out with something better than the 900 (in terms of looks) then I'll take that. I am not gonna completely abandon this platform. Well not yet.

But what happened to our plan to conquer the Android OT?! D:

Magni

You might want to wait for Windows Phone 8 this time around. The reason why I got a Lumia 900 right now is because I don't have any working phones in Singapore and I needed a contract plan anyway.

If you find yourself unable to miss the data connection you have right now, you might want to consider getting a phone from another platform, or the 900 (if you really, really want to dive into WP now). Don't bother with anything else. (The 710 you are planning to get should get the same amount of support as the 900 from Nokia, though - and you'll get WP7.8.)

The 710 is the only Windows Phone I can get from T-Mo/Walmart with that plan, and besides I don't want to be spending more for a 900 if I'm gonna get a WP8 phone four months later.

The cheapest 4G phone is a $190 Android, I'm willing to spend $80 more for a Lumia, I'm just wondering how much I can sell it for in October. Is $100-120 unrealistic?

It's like you're out of the closet and can finally be who you always were! I'm so happy for you!

6rfFK.jpg

The 710 is the only Windows Phone I can get from T-Mo/Walmart with that plan, and besides I don't want to be spending more for a 900 if I'm gonna get a WP8 phone four months later.

The cheapest 4G phone is a $190 Android, I'm willing to spend $80 more for a Lumia, I'm just wondering how much I can sell it for in October. Is $100-120 unrealistic?

What is the $190 Android, by the way?

hwalker84

Would it be nuts to get a Lumia 900 now? I love the look of the white version, the WP os is much more appealing to me, and I desperately need a new phone right now.

I'll sell you mine the day i can get my hands of the latest Nokia WP8 device for AT&T

hwalker84

Hey WP-GAF,

I've been an adept of the platform since launch, and was looking to upgrade my Omnia 7 this fall when the WP8 devices hit. BUT, I'm just about (at the airport on a layover right now, this isn't last minute at all haha) to spend eight months in the US, and I don't want to wait till the launch to have data on my phone (my Omnia doesn't work on 3G in NA).

So what would be the best thing to do? T-Mo has a no-contract unlimited text and 5Go of 4G plan for $30, but I'd need to buy the phone from them or Walmart, so I'm looking at $270 for a 710. How much would it sell for in four months?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks guys!

Also, any news concerning pentabend for WP8? As someone who frequently switches between Europe and NA, that'd be a godsend.

I'd just unlock the phone and use Edge until some good devices come out.

Samsung Exhibit II (Android 2.3 lol)

Don't get that. I've had enough of Android 2.3's moments. An 1 GHz single-core might work on iOS or Windows Phone, but it's not enough for Android, full stop.

It actually has the exact same processor specs and memory as my Galaxy S, an ancient phone. Guess how well it ran... (there's a reason why I switched phones.)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Android 2.3 on old hardware? Yeah, I'd rather use 2g and WiFi or bite the bullet on a 710. To answer your question, you'd probably only get $80 or so back when selling the 710 early next year.

Edit: for those of you who asked what my friend said on twitter to get a new titan 2, he basically whined to both ATT support and HTC support, and sent them links to blogs that chronicled the issues he was having. Even then, he was told that he would get a titan 1 for the warranty price. I'm guessing they didn't have any in stock and sent him a titan 2 instead.

So I've dropped my 900 several times already in the week. No visible damage seen!

Anyone else here with a Lumia 900? The battery seems to take forever to charge even on AC.

A related question: how long did you manage to have it last under continuous web browsing on 3G? Also, by the way, have any one of you ever got tethering to work consistently? My MacBook Air keeps dropping the connection.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I've dropped my 900 several times already in the week. No visible damage seen!

Anyone else here with a Lumia 900? The battery seems to take forever to charge even on AC.

A related question: how long did you manage to have it last under continuous web browsing on 3G? Also, by the way, have any one of you ever got tethering to work consistently? My MacBook Air keeps dropping the connection.

My 900 seems to charge pretty fast with the included charger, maybe just over an hour, not sure if that is a good time. I've never timed it.

AnkitT

I'm still here. Early adapter turned fanboy turned considering jumping ship to android. Probably will wait till next year though since I just got my old DVP exchanged for a Lumia 800 which is still satiating most of my desires right now.

I'm still here. Early adapter turned fanboy turned considering jumping ship to android. Probably will wait till next year though since I just got my old DVP exchanged for a Lumia 800 which is still satiating most of my desires right now.

What di you think of it currently?

I find myself liking how Internet Explorer supersizes text in desktop pages after initially disliking it and how it handles page elements with scroll boxes.

ElNino

I haven't timed it, but it doesn't seem to take that long to charge the 900 to me... at least not any longer than my Focus or BlackBerry's did.

Continuous web would be difficult to rate as the (typically) white background would eat up more power than most apps with a black background. I don't use the web for that many things though, usually just the odd mobile banking or GAF browsing.

As for tethering, I haven't had any issues with devices disconnecting. Granted, I haven't used it that often, but when I have it has worked quite well. LTE tethering is actually quite good for upload speeds as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Man I couldn't get this to work at all. I just used the cab's

It took me several tries. Make sure you phone is in airplane. I gave it almost 2 seconds before I disconnected the internet as well.

Don't know if I'm crazy, but the phone seems more responsive after the updates.

AnkitT

What di you think of it currently?

I find myself liking how Internet Explorer supersizes text in desktop pages after initially disliking it and how it handles page elements with scroll boxes.

I think if they just bring ie10 in the 7.8 update, i'll be fine with it. But i'm not really fussed to be honest, almost all the apps I wanted on the platform are here already, and Nokia seems to be pushing out some great ones once in a while, which is great. I can't really say that i'm excited by the new features in wp8(/w8p) right now, but looks like MS is really playing it close to the chest this time. I'm more interested in what the hax scene has to bring to the table in the gap b/w 7.8 and launch of flagship wp8 devices.

hwalker84

I thought Tango in Nokia phones where supposed to change the marketplace to a Nokia symbol? Is it because I used the cabs and not through Zune?

MCD

Forcing Tango on my Lumia 800 through the Zune gives me a type of connection error after hitting the update button.

Klocker

once again been unable to follow this thread or the WP tango update...

can someone please direct me to most direct method of learning how to go form 7.10.7720 to Tango on my focus S?

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom