• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Guys, I shit you not when I say that I had two Google related nightmares, since I ordered the Nexus.

I "trolled" in the Android thread and Kagarai, out of all people, banned me. WTF.

I was on the Google campus and about to get robbed (pretty common there, I've heard) but then someone with a Google jacket appeared and saved me. When the thug said he didn't want to rob me, Google Man listed all his search results and browsing history, showing how he clearly prepared himself for this.
It was like Minority Report. Terrible.

Again, I'm not joking about this.

I think I've made a huge mistake.

Black-Box

Guys, I shit you not when I say that I had two Google related nightmares, since I ordered the Nexus.

I was on the Google campus and about to get robbed (pretty common there, I've heard) but then someone with a Google jacket appeared and saved me. When the thug said he didn't want to rob me, Google Man listed all his search results and browsing history, showing how he clearly prepared himself for this.

what? how was he going to rob you...and the thug REALLY researched how to rob people? are you knew to the campus? like maybe they stage it. how did they even know his search results, like why would the guy give him his phone.... just sounds creepy

Troll

Banned
what? how was he going to rob you...and the thug REALLY researched how to rob people? are you knew to the campus? like maybe they stage it. how did they even know his search results, like why would the guy give him his phone.... just sounds creepy

.....Considering it was a dream

e:

Does the force update work on the OG Focus?

Dreams rarely make much sense. And creepy? It's Google, my friend. I expected nothing else.#

At least you are safe, bro.

I don't know about that. The Nexus will be here very soon. What if it tries to steal my soul? What if a small Copernicus jumps out of the box and tries to rip my eyes out?

Black-Box

Dreams rarely make much sense. And creepy? It's Google, my friend. I expected nothing else.#

I don't know about that. The Nexus will be here very soon. What if it tries to steal my soul? What if a small Copernicus jumps out of the box and tries to rip my eyes out?

ah makes sense, this is what I get for staying up past 1am and gaming at the same time

Commodore

Does the force update work on the OG Focus?

Not yet it appears. Just works on the Focus S. But I keep on keeping on trying it just in case.

Also Brot, this'll be you...

tay4A.gif

...pretty quick here once the Nexus arrives. I'm worried.

Troll

Banned
Can we edit playlists on browser Zune?

I have no idea. This is why I'm worried.

Don't worry too much, when Google now learns about his the nightmares he's having Google Now will schedule an appointment with the best psychiatrist in his area.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

I "trolled" in the Android thread and Kagarai, out of all people, banned me. WTF.

yea yea. tell us all about it on google+

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I doubt a hard reset will help. I mean, battery will improve, but as you put back in apps and those apps start doing their background stuff, it should go back to being just as bad.

My phone lost 20% of its charge while I slept for 8 hours. That is some atrocious standby time.

That's pretty strange when you think about it. I think I have to try to kill the phone battery if it's just on standby. The battery meter on my phone sometimes refuses to budge from full charge much. I think I might want to do an informal benchmark. Right now I have around 68% - I think I'll leave it on standby.

Commodore

One of the few things that graphic artist that re-imagined MS's logos/image got right, the color pallet:

90IwD.jpg

I'd love those colors. We've been told we're getting new colors, hope there's a bunch of them this time.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
One of the few things that graphic artist that re-imagined MS's logos/image got right, the color pallet:

90IwD.jpg

I'd love those colors. We've been told we're getting new colors, hope there's a bunch of them this time.
i'm sure it will be the same colors in W8.

Troll

Banned
Android-style skins?

pocketnow said:
Now a new rumor says that Lenovo has been in talks with Microsoft about the idea of making this model a bit of a departure from the standard WP8 Metro UI.

Supposedly, a Lenovo team traveled to meet with Microsoft execs to see just what it might be able to get away with in the design of its first Windows Phone handset. Apparently the company has some ideas for modifying the stock WP8 UI, though just how extreme a change we’re talking about isn’t entirely clear.

While that might have gotten Lenovo laughed out the door in the past, there are now at least some signs that Microsoft is open to one degree or another of customization in WP8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

It's certainly stupid to assume that Nokia would've been better off going Android. Not all Android OEM's are doing well. In fact, many big name ones aren't (Sony, LG, and HTC has had a rough year). What IS true, however, is that Nokia would've been able to iterate faster on Android. They would've had a dual-core Lumia out by now, and possibly a Pureview by fall or even this summer, given the hardware freedom of Android. Would that have made a difference for Nokia? It's not certain, but MS' handling of WP7 devices was bad news for Nokia. Now they, like many of us, are in a holding pattern. Meanwhile, customers don't have the luxury of waiting around, contracts expire and phones break down all year long, not just in Spring and Fall.

Edit:
The way it is right now, it's way to difficult to set yourself apart on the market.

I disagree, Nokia has shown that all it takes is the will. If Samsung or HTC gave a shit, they'd differentiate, and if the only way they know how is shitty android skins, that's their problem. Which brings me to this page.

How is it that a page on Windows Phone 7.5 news ONLY call out Nokia? Simple, they are the only ones that care. Samsung put out a firmware that fixed a very basic bug (keyboard lag when you used key press sounds) with the Tango update. That's more than half a year after the phone was released....for a simple bug! These guys don't care, and honestly, if you don't own a Nokia device, its not worth buying into Windows Phone. I wish I had known that last November. Samsung released about a half dozen custom apps and their own version of Tango video calling app, but Nokia has done about 3 times as much in less time, and they're the only ones committed to supporting WP7.5 devices, as evidenced by that official page I linked to from Microsoft. Nokia's commitment is the only reason I don't tell someone who just bought a Lumia to return it. Anyone buying a WP7 device from any other manufacturer? Yeah, Imma tell em to take it back.

zedge

It's certainly stupid to assume that Nokia would've been better off going Android. Not all Android OEM's are doing well. In fact, many big name ones aren't (Sony, LG, and HTC has had a rough year). What IS true, however, is that Nokia would've been able to iterate faster on Android. They would've had a dual-core Lumia out by now, and possibly a Pureview by fall or even this summer, given the hardware freedom of Android? Would that have made a difference for Nokia? It's not certain, but MS' handling of WP7 devices was bad news for Nokia. Now they, like many of us, are in a holding pattern. Meanwhile, customers don't have the luxury of waiting around, contracts expire and phones break down all year long, not just in Spring and Fall.

I think Nokia could have made their phones really stand out with their own UI and all the services they already have. And like you said they could of released a flagship phone with dual core and the works to compete with Samsung etc. Not to mention low end phones that would likely have sold like crazy, especially with the google play store behind them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think Nokia could have made their phones really stand out with their own UI and all the services they already have. And like you said they could of released a flagship phone with dual core and the works to compete with Samsung etc. Not to mention low end phones that would likely have sold like crazy, especially with the google play store behind them.

You can say Nokia would've been better off in Android till you're blue in the face, it won't make it true. It's still speculation, and they've sold millions of Lumia phones. How many Xperia phones has Sony sold? (Honest question, I don't know the answer). HTC is struggling to sell One X phones in the US (and I think they're frickin' gorgeous), have they released sales figures for those? How about LG's top of the line Android phones, what are their sales?

I'm not saying it's inconceivable that Nokia would break out on Android and join Samsung as a heavy hitter and big seller, I'm just saying its far from the slam dunk android fanboys think.

zedge

You can say Nokia would've been better off in Android till you're blue in the face, it won't make it true. It's still speculation, and they've sold millions of Lumia phones. How many Xperia phones has Sony sold? (Honest question, I don't know the answer). HTC is struggling to sell One X phones in the US (and I think they're frickin' gorgeous), have they released sales figures for those? How about LG's top of the line Android phones, what are their sales?

I'm not saying it's inconceivable that Nokia would break out on Android and join Samsung as a heavy hitter and big seller, I'm just saying its far from the slam dunk android fanboys think.

Oh, I agree, who knows what would happen. But I don't think it would have been as big of a departure going from Symbian to Android as it was to WP7. Its all speculation at this point. I am not hating on WP, I really like it to be honest. Former owner of Optimus 7 here.

Sean

Banned
It's certainly stupid to assume that Nokia would've been better off going Android. Not all Android OEM's are doing well. In fact, many big name ones aren't (Sony, LG, and HTC has had a rough year). What IS true, however, is that Nokia would've been able to iterate faster on Android. They would've had a dual-core Lumia out by now, and possibly a Pureview by fall or even this summer, given the hardware freedom of Android? Would that have made a difference for Nokia? It's not certain, but MS' handling of WP7 devices was bad news for Nokia. Now they, like many of us, are in a holding pattern. Meanwhile, customers don't have the luxury of waiting around, contracts expire and phones break down all year long, not just in Spring and Fall.

Being able to iterate faster is a HUGE benefit though.

Nokia basically wasted an entire year (all of 2011) transitioning to Windows Phone. They've been forced to wait on Microsoft in order to release low-end (Tango) and high-end (Apollo) phones. And now that they've actually got a product on shelves, it's been sorta sabotaged by not getting the Windows Phone 8 upgrade. So 2012 has basically been wasted too for them.

They would've had none of those problems on Android.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
people who sell phones for a living said they could have sold more Lumias if they ran Android.

It's settled then. Fucking speculation, how does it work?

They would've had none of those problems on Android.

And what about the problems they WOULD have had on Android? Do we ignore those? Oh yeah, we're gonna pretend there are no hindrances to astronomical Android sales cause we like that platform a lot.

This is from Nokia.

No, it is not.

Right now Nokia is the big fish in a small pond, while on android they would've been a small (?) fish in a big pond.

Who knows what would've been best for them. I'd say the move to WP is a big gamble, in that it could destroy them or have a very big pay-off if things turn out well (i.e.: WP becomes a viable platform).

However, considering Nokia was the mobile phone brand in the world up till, say, 2008, the present seems to suggest Nokia possibly made a huuuge mistake.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
However, considering Nokia was the mobile phone brand in the world up till, say, 2008, the present seems to suggest Nokia possibly made a huuuge mistake.

No, the only thing the present demonstrates is how far the brand had already eroded and how much ground they lost fucking around with Meego and Symbian.

Whatever the outcome for Nokia, the ONLY thing we'll ever settle is whether moving to Windows Phone was the right move. Even then, the counter argument could be whether even THAT move came too late for them and whether being a launch partner for WP while they had both more capital and a healthier base of dumbphone sales would've produced different results. But that scenario, along with the Android one, is just speculation and there are counterfactuals to those scenarios that android fanboys will never acknowledge, so instead of a balanced conversation, you end up with "derp, they'd be selling a billion phones a day if they had chosen Android, the dudes that sell phones at the carrier said so".

Not officially, but it is from a Nokia employee.
Wrong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom