• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

Brot, I hope they do. A friend of mine just started working with Verizon and he is tired of his current HTC Android phone (he's with sprint atm) and doesn't like the Apple kool-aid either.

Fjolle

1. Nokia isn't gonna release them because it would be embarrasing.
2. Symbian was far from dead. Stop looking at the retarded US mobile industry for that. The N8 was the most preordered Nokia phone ever. Still is. They had an estimated market share of 29% worldwide for God's sake.
3. Nokia shareholder meeting.

The only troll that has been right about this fiasco.

And yes, its not the 801T. I'll have to search for the correct model number.

The n8 was released in 2010. By the end of 2011 Symbian was dead. It had nothing to do with what Nokia did, but with what happened with Android. Also i've never looked at the US market. Symbian never had a chance there.

Ahonen seriously posted that nokia could be profitable in 3 months by firing Elop and producing symbian phones again. Even though he might have predicted that nokias market share would go down, he's still a joke.

NeOak

The n8 was released in 2010. By the end of 2011 Symbian was dead. It had nothing to do with what Nokia did, but with what happened with Android. Also i've never looked at the US market. Symbian never had a chance there.

Ahonen seriously posted that nokia could be profitable in 3 months by firing Elop and producing symbian phones again. Even though he might have predicted that nokias market share would go down, he's still a joke.

Right, because Elop did't say in the famous "Burning Platforms" memo released in february 2011 (which is the year you are talking about) that Symbian and Meego were dead. Not at all. Funny that Nokia was growing in sales during Q4 2010 and Q1 2011 until that fateful day.

God no. He said to stop the BS and release the desirable phones. The N9 which was called by the US press the "iPhone killer". The N950. Heck, even the 808. Release them everywhere.

A joke? Funny, because this one makes sense with the big profit Nokia gets from producing their own phones in their own factories and with no royalties for the OS. Unlike the Compal built Lumias.

He too was bitching about the awful Nokia execution that produced the N96 and N97. He too complained about the Symbian stagnation.

Tomcat

1. The N9 is more desirable than a Lumia. Check the sales of the N9 which was released in "minor" markets vs the Lumias that were released in the "major" markets.
2. Elop is who fucked Nokia by Osborning Symbian and Meego when there was nothing to replace them. had he kept them going and released the Lumia without that damn memo it would have been perfect.
3. Windows Phone 8 is hated by carriers because of Skype. Elop said that Skype is a problem with the carriers.

Check what Tomi Ahonen, ex-Nokia exec and the only analyst that correctly predicted the current Nokia situation has to say. It isn't pretty.

And before you claim I'm a troll, I choose WP7 over android because i couldnt stand the awful fragmentation and shitty UI performance of Android.

BTW, Nokia hasn't used any of the Qualcomm SoCs for Symbian phones. They are Broadcom's with ARM11 CPUs. Even the Series 40 Asha line uses them without the GPU.

What Nokia did release was a Symbian^3 phone in China using the Lumia 800 chassis, but with a frontal camera and the 701 CPU/GPU. Its the model 801T. And they did because China Telecom showed the middle finger to the Lumia line and requested a Symbian phone.

read these links because your are ill informed about nokia

http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/10/24/nokias-road-to-feb-11th-the-last-18-months-part-1/
http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/10/25/nokia’s-road-to-feb-11th-–-the-last-18-months-part-2/

NeOak

I already had read most of that info on other pages, but thanks for the link. I however still stand by my statements. You don't kill your products without having replacement products in the market, and that is what Elop did.

Just wanna put this out there....

Where I live (Belgium), there are three products being promoted in every telecom-related store...

1) the Samsung Galaxy S III. That thing has a display with a working demo phone everywheeeere. Samsung is coming for the iPhone's crown.

2) The iPhone. It's a given, but it's still the default smart phone, so it gets promotion everywhere.

3) and this is relevant to this thread: Nokia and the WP OS. It's remarkable how much big banners, promo folders, working demo phones, ... there are of the Nokia/WP combo. I don't know if it's a sign of actual life, or a life-support balls-out marketing campaign from Nokia/MS. Let's hope it actually pays off.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
10% battery drain after 7 hours of sleep. Not great, but twice as good compared to when I have chat enabled. I think I found my culprit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The built-in msn/facebook chat. Now I have to find the culprit for the other 5% or so excessive battery drain. Its probably the live tile apps, though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The built-in msn/facebook chat. Now I have to find the culprit for the other 5% or so excessive battery drain. Its probably the live tile apps, though.

I always keep that shizzy off until I actually want to use it. Plus you can't turn it on when you have battery saver on. I only use it as an extra feature though in regards to seeing who's on FB Chat. It's not a main feature use for me tho.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Every Samsung phone I've owned always starts out with great battery life and fades quickly. Its decent right now, but go back and read the focus s reviews and they all talk about great battery life. That was my experience with it as well, but now it's just average. I'm selling this phone anyway, Samsung won't support this phone for the year left on my contract.

tino

Banned
I will never get this. iOS and especially Android are far worse offenders when it comes to this things.

You can only use skype to make calls on Android (and iOS), even if you have skype running, you can not reliably receive skype call on Android. I understand that the only phone so far can reliably receive skype call is Palm Pre 3.

And on top of that,carriers has much more control over Android. Verizon/ATT can and have ask HTC etc to install carrierIQ type deep analytics software in the rom. So Spyke on Android is never a thread to the carriers. With iOS, they just need the promise from Apple. With MS, carriers have no way to block Skype if MS really want to flip the switch and make Skype one of the native call protocal. I think the Skype purchase has sent comflict message to the carriers.

derFeef

You can only use skype to make calls on Android (and iOS), even if you have skype running, you can not reliably receive skype call on Android. I understand that the only phone so far can reliably receive skype call is Palm Pre 3.

And on top of that,carriers has much more control over Android. Verizon/ATT can and have ask HTC etc to install carrierIQ type deep analytics software in the rom. So Spyke on Android is never a thread to the carriers. With iOS, they just need the promise from Apple. With MS, carriers have no way to block Skype if MS really want to flip the switch and make Skype one of the native call protocal. I think the Skype purchase has sent comflict message to the carriers.

Huh? Almost all people I know have flashed their Android phone so they can do what they want with it. But I guess the carriers ignore it?
Or maybe they are reeeaally naive.

PG2G

Huh? iOS has supported backgrounding for VOIP apps since iOS 6.

tino

Banned
Huh? iOS has supported backgrounding for VOIP apps since iOS 6.

VOIP or Skype? VOIP is not the same thing android has had that feature muvh earlier.

Huh? Almost all people I know have flashed their Android phone so they can do what they want with it. But I guess the carriers ignore it?
Or maybe they are reeeaally naive.

US android users rarely flash their phones. I do of course thats the reason I chose Android. But even CyanogenMod has only 1.5 million of users. Evil carriers like Verizon and ATT really dont care.

dpatel304

Is there a zipwhip alternative for Windows Phone?
http://zipwhip.com/

Zipwhip basically lets you send/receive sms messages on your PC using the same phone number.

75% of the time, I'm texting while next to a PC. It would be so much easier if I could just do it straight from my PC, instead.

PG2G

Is there a zipwhip alternative for Windows Phone?
http://zipwhip.com/

Zipwhip basically lets you send/receive sms messages on your PC using the same phone number.

75% of the time, I'm texting while next to a PC. It would be so much easier if I could just do it straight from my PC, instead.

Nope, Windows Phone (and probably iOS) don't have the APIs to be able to do that. I assume you'd need read access to SMS as well as a proper multitasking. Windows 8 might be able to do it (it can trigger a background task on receipt of SMS) so there is also a good chance that Windows Phone 8 will.

frontieruk

I already had read most of that info on other pages, but thanks for the link. I however still stand by my statements. You don't kill your products without having replacement products in the market, and that is what Elop did.

Erm they didnt stop selling their old line, they killed development of new products using the old software, hell they are still selling dumb phones and a selection of Symbian handsets now.

NeOak

Erm they didnt stop selling their old line, they killed development of new products using the old software, hell they are still selling dumb phones and a selection of Symbian handsets now.

Like MS did with Windows Mobile 6.5. And no, they stopped producing a lot of the Symbian^3 headsets.

As for the Pureview 808, its because that was a long time project which Nokia could only do with Symbian^3 since Qualcomm doesn't have any SoC to support that 41MP sensor and the only other OSes that could have done that was either Meego or Android.

1. The N9 is more desirable than a Lumia. Check the sales of the N9 which was released in "minor" markets vs the Lumias that were released in the "major" markets.
2. Elop is who fucked Nokia by Osborning Symbian and Meego when there was nothing to replace them. had he kept them going and released the Lumia without that damn memo it would have been perfect.
3. Windows Phone 8 is hated by carriers because of Skype. Elop said that Skype is a problem with the carriers.

Check what Tomi Ahonen, ex-Nokia exec and the only analyst that correctly predicted the current Nokia situation has to say. It isn't pretty.

And before you claim I'm a troll, I choose WP7 over android because i couldnt stand the awful fragmentation and shitty UI performance of Android.

I can guarantee you 3 is wrong...

Elop might have said it, but I don't think he was speaking correctly.

The rest I don't know enough about to comment.

How so? The carriers have been against VoIP for ages. Hell, we could have had fully functional UMA VoIP with wifi-cellular handovers 5 years ago, but carriers hated the idea.

NeOak

The second big news that came from the Shareholders' Meeting is the issue about Skype. Elop was asked by a shareholder "Nokia seems to be having a problem with the distribution channel due to Skype" asking how will Nokia deal with this problem. Elop answered "If the operator doesn't want us, it doesn't want us. We will appeal to them with other arguments. We have more to offer to them. It is a good point to start the discussion from Skype." (source HS website. Text in Finnish, translation is mine).
UPDATE May 4 - again our reader Asko who says he was personally present at that meeting, adds that Elop had explained, that Nokia, together with Microsoft, is now attempting to convince carriers/operators to accept Skype against their wills, by marketing/pricing/sales gimmicks. This admission says to me, that the carriers are truly hostile towards Nokia about the matter and this negotiation attempt is futile.

Nonetheless, Elop clearly admits that there is a reseller problem relating explicitly to Skype. He furthermore admits, the Skype issue has resulted in some carriers actually refusing to carry Lumia. (Read the full thing here >)

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-05-04/tech/31564637_1_skype-windows-phone-nokia-deal

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop told shareholders that carriers are hesitant to sell the Nokia Lumia phones because Microsoft owns Skype. Elop told shareholders in a meeting that carriers have indeed blocked the Finns from offering devices on their networks because of Microsoft sealing a deal with Skype.

The carriers see Skype as direct competitor to their offerings because it allows free calls between users and extremely cheap international calling rates. "If an operator doesn't want us, it doesn't want us. We will appeal to them with other arguments. We have more to offer to them. It is a good point to start the discussion from Skype," Elop told Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat.

http://wpsuperfanboy.com/news.php?post_id=242

As for the actual quote:

"The feedback from operators is they don’t like Skype"

http://wmpoweruser.com/what-stephen-elop-really-said-about-skype-and-carrier-relations/

NeOak

Because data is the new cash cow, and guess what Skype chews through?

SMS is still far bigger than data. 10+ cents per 140 bytes?

Heck, AT&T charges you 20 cents for those 140 bytes if you don't have an unlimited plan.

Oh, and SMS uses no bandwidth at all. Its all carried in the control signals cellphones use to keep in touch with the network.

The second big news that came from the Shareholders' Meeting is the issue about Skype. Elop was asked by a shareholder "Nokia seems to be having a problem with the distribution channel due to Skype" asking how will Nokia deal with this problem. Elop answered "If the operator doesn't want us, it doesn't want us. We will appeal to them with other arguments. We have more to offer to them. It is a good point to start the discussion from Skype." (source HS website. Text in Finnish, translation is mine).
UPDATE May 4 - again our reader Asko who says he was personally present at that meeting, adds that Elop had explained, that Nokia, together with Microsoft, is now attempting to convince carriers/operators to accept Skype against their wills, by marketing/pricing/sales gimmicks. This admission says to me, that the carriers are truly hostile towards Nokia about the matter and this negotiation attempt is futile.

Nonetheless, Elop clearly admits that there is a reseller problem relating explicitly to Skype. He furthermore admits, the Skype issue has resulted in some carriers actually refusing to carry Lumia. (Read the full thing here >)

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-05-04/tech/31564637_1_skype-windows-phone-nokia-deal

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop told shareholders that carriers are hesitant to sell the Nokia Lumia phones because Microsoft owns Skype. Elop told shareholders in a meeting that carriers have indeed blocked the Finns from offering devices on their networks because of Microsoft sealing a deal with Skype.

The carriers see Skype as direct competitor to their offerings because it allows free calls between users and extremely cheap international calling rates. "If an operator doesn't want us, it doesn't want us. We will appeal to them with other arguments. We have more to offer to them. It is a good point to start the discussion from Skype," Elop told Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat.

http://wpsuperfanboy.com/news.php?post_id=242

As for the actual quote:

"The feedback from operators is they don’t like Skype"

http://wmpoweruser.com/what-stephen-elop-really-said-about-skype-and-carrier-relations/

I know and have read all of those articles. I still believe that it is not truly the case, at least in terms of major carriers.

frontieruk

SMS is still far bigger than data. 10+ cents per 140 bytes?

Heck, AT&T charges you 20 cents for those 140 bytes if you don't have an unlimited plan.

Oh, and SMS uses no bandwidth at all. Its all carried in the control signals cellphones use to keep in touch with the network.

Maybe stateside but here in euroland I can't remember the last time I got charged for SMS, data on the other hand has me paying for an extra bundle on my allowance and maybe on a bad month a couple of days worth ontop of that. SMS is old hat look at the use of whatsapp kik etc in a smartphone world data is is the cash cow.

kn1ves24

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread for this but I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on what is considered the "best" windows phone to get?

I currently have an iPhone 4 and I'm due for an upgrade and I really like what I've seen and tried of the Mango OS. I'm on ATT and I know the selection of Windows Phones is limited anyways but what I'm trying to do is, if I buy one I would like it to be one that I can get a solid 2 years of use out of. I know the Apollo update is coming but I'm not sure if any new handsets are set to be released soon or not.

So I guess I'll I'm looking for is some feedback on the current selection of phones out there and any info on new handsets that might be releasing within the next few months.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread for this but I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on what is considered the "best" windows phone to get?

I currently have an iPhone 4 and I'm due for an upgrade and I really like what I've seen and tried of the Mango OS. I'm on ATT and I know the selection of Windows Phones is limited anyways but what I'm trying to do is, if I buy one I would like it to be one that I can get a solid 2 years of use out of. I know the Apollo update is coming but I'm not sure if any new handsets are set to be released soon or not.

So I guess I'll I'm looking for is some feedback on the current selection of phones out there and any info on new handsets that might be releasing within the next few months.

Currently the best is Lumia 900. It is a really great phone and will be updated to 7.8.
But the whole Apollo/ Windows Phone 8 update will only be available for the handsets coming out in a few months. probably around october, like windows 8.

I would recommend to wait, but if you'd like to pick up one now, the Lumia 900 is a fantastic phone.

kharma45

New handsets are coming in the autumn along with WP8, I couldn't recommend a Windows Phone to anyone at the minute on contract, you'd be better off sticking with iOS or going Android unless you really, really, really want a Windows Phone.

If you're looking to get 2 years of use you're better off waiting for the new devices. What I got my gf to do was cancel her iPhone contract now that it's done and just go PAYG for the mean time as the phone is still working fine for the most part, if it dies she'll probably get a Galaxy S3 and if it lasts until the autumn she'll probably get a new WP8 device.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lumia 900 is a great phone and if your not too worried about having the latest apps down the road it should do the trick. A lot of the big apps are available and Nokia should continue to give the phone good support.

kn1ves24

I'm assuming there are no confirmed dates on any of the Windows 8 phones. Is its just a general agreement there will be new handsets releasing along side Windows 8?

The Lumia 900 looks decent but I think I must be in the minority that actually doesn't want a huge screen. I like the size of the Samsung Focus 2 but it only comes in white and I don't particularly like that color for a phone.

I know I saw some articles saying the Apollo update would be compatible with current handsets, I'm assuming those are just speculation as well. I don't particularly care about having a super fast processor or tons of storage or a high MP camera. I want to be able to run the newest versions of apps. I really don't have any problem waiting, just curious if it will be worth it or not.

kharma45

I know I saw some articles saying the Apollo update would be compatible with current handsets, I'm assuming those are just speculation as well. I don't particularly care about having a super fast processor or tons of storage or a high MP camera. I want to be able to run the newest versions of apps. I really don't have any problem waiting, just curious if it will be worth it or not.

Apollo isn't compatible, what the current range of phones is getting is a 7.8 that gives the same UI as WP8 but no other features have been announced so far for it, so it's still up in the air whether it'll even get stuff like IE10 etc. yet.

So I'm due for an upgrade now...What are the chances that MS will offer some sort of discounted "upgrade from a 7.8 phone to an 8 phone" promotion? The existence of 7.8 itself makes me doubt it will happen...but I'm sick of this fucking Focus.

kn1ves24

So I'm due for an upgrade now...What are the chances that MS will offer some sort of discounted "upgrade from a 7.8 phone to an 8 phone" promotion? The existence of 7.8 itself makes me doubt it will happen...but I'm sick of this fucking Focus.

That would be nice but isn't something like that more up to the carrier rather than MS?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Buying a Windows Phone now on a 2 year contract isn't the best course of action. But if you love the platform, neither is signing off to iOS or Android for 2 years. So, my convoluted suggestion if you decide you want to stay on Windows Phone is as follows:

Step 1: Sell your Focus for $100

Step 2: Buy a Nokia Lumia 900 for $150 ($250 or so on Ebay minus the $100 on your Focus)

Step 3: When Windows Phone 8 devices come out, use your upgrade to buy one

Step 4: Sell your Lumia 900. You should make back your $150 fairly easily, meaning the whole process will end up being revenue neutral.

Edit: This also works for Brettison, though he may have already ordered an Android phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Buying a Windows Phone now on a 2 year contract isn't the best course of action. But if you love the platform, neither is signing off to iOS or Android for 2 years. So, my convoluted suggestion if you decide you want to stay on Windows Phone is as follows:

Step 1: Sell your Focus for $100

Step 2: Buy a Nokia Lumia 900 for $150 ($250 or so on Ebay minus the $100 on your Focus)

Step 3: When Windows Phone 8 devices come out, use your upgrade to buy one

Step 4: Sell your Lumia 900. You should make back your $150 fairly easily, meaning the whole process will end up being revenue neutral.

Edit: This also works for Brettison, though he may have already ordered an Android phone.

Call me a pessimist, but getting $100 for a Focus at this stage of the game seems like a pipe dream. Maybe for the Focus S or Focus Flash, but no way is anyone paying $100 for an OG Focus.

Commodore

Just downloaded the Kaliki app, which is exclusive to Lumia phones.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-first-bring-kaliki-service-windows-phone-also-launches-batman-origins-comic-video

The app is awesome, it basically reads news articles to you in a non-robotic sounding voice from a variety of news provides covering all kinds of topics. Killer app!

Edit: The only problem with the app is that the news could be more current.

Kaliki sounds pretty useful actually. I thought it'd be some robotic voice reading the news, but its professionally narrated, which is likely why the news tends to be a little slow. But great concept. I love driving and listening to podcasts usually, but getting the news while on my commutes sounds great.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Call me a pessimist, but getting $100 for a Focus at this stage of the game seems like a pipe dream. Maybe for the Focus S or Focus Flash, but no way is anyone paying $100 for an OG Focus.

Pessimist. That's their going price on eBay. I know, because I'm trying to buy one for a friend.

The question is can you really get Lumia 900 for $200

I haven't been able to. The $150 price assumes the $100 discount from the Focus sale. The plan works, I've sold a ton of phones. Its just convoluted, but it does allow you to trade up to a lumia until the Apollo phones come out, essentially free and without using up the two year contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom