• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

So Nokia is finally reducing the numbers of Compal built phones. I hope those WP8 Lumias are produced in their own factories.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Office blog posted a screen of WP8 Office, but then took it down (or at least, i can't seem to find them on the linked page). WMPoweruser has it, nothing groundbreaking.

So after using amazing weather lite I wanted to purchase the full version but now i cannot find it in the marketplace. WTF! Looks like they dont want my monies

frontieruk

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Zune unlimited music pass? I'm using the trial now and it seems pretty good. My only question is how are they with getting new songs and is the library comparable to something like spotify?

Always has new releases on a Monday here, so I find it worth every penny.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Zune unlimited music pass? I'm using the trial now and it seems pretty good. My only question is how are they with getting new songs and is the library comparable to something like spotify?

Its also seemingly being overhauled for Win 8 and have some 30 million songs. Zune seems better, but if you have a non windows device you regularly use better to get Spotify since it'll work cross platform.

kazinova

So, I have the Nexus 7 now. I've learned so much about Android, and how much I'll never want my phone to run it.

You can refund apps you purchase on the Play store for 15min after you buy it. Having only ever had a WP7 and iPhone before I found it hilarious and incredibly sad that this is a critical "feature" for the Play store.

Mr_Zombie

It's a quick little handset, if he does get it, take the auto brightness off its too sensitive so makes the screen flicker as it tries to keep a light level. Battery wise it's out performed my Titan but I should bloody hope so with the screen size difference. It'll easily last a day though I've had it go three with mild use but it was a very close call I give it the benefit of the doubt.

The camera is a bit tricky to use due to the case.

But as mentioned already it's a 1ghz windows phone it performs akin to the rest, smooth and simple.

710 in a heartbeat. 610 is the low end Tango stuff.

The browser is same as with the others WP7 with 1Ghz CPU.

Thanks.

So, I have the Nexus 7 now. I've learned so much about Android, and how much I'll never want my phone to run it.

You can refund apps you purchase on the Play store for 15min after you buy it. Having only ever had a WP7 and iPhone before I found it hilarious and incredibly sad that this is a critical "feature" for the Play store.

Critical to who?

Commodore

Two pieces of good news today. Lode Runner classic (XBOX live title)hit the Marketplace today. Still fun, takes me back to those C64 days. Controls are a bit iffy, but they work once you get a hang of them. The other piece of news is a Microsoft store is rumored in my area finally. They've applied for a permit at a new downtown mall, might not happen still, but they're looking at it at least. Gonna be nice to get a chance to check out Surface in person, plus whatever exclusive crap they've got going on that I haven't been able to do yet. Still if they go through with building a store where I am, it'd likely be next year when it opens.

31xF9.jpg

Angry Birds Space timed Lumia exclusive.

Oh and:

Nokia Shipped 4 Million Lumia Windows Phone Devices In Q2 2012

"Nokia today announced that it has shipped over 4 million Lumia Windows Phone device in Q2 2012. During the latest financial reports announced today, Nokia had an operating loss of over $1 billion on sales of over $9.2 billion. Another interesting stat revealed was that Nokia sold only 600,000 Lumia 900 devices in USA which shows that most of the Lumia Windows Phone device sales are outside USA"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They are selling more phones and taking less of a hit each quarter than RIM, but that's not saying much. MS not launching Apollo until the fall is going to absolutely kill Nokia in Q3. It may be enough to get them delisted. MS moving too slowly for Nokia's needs, not to mention the overall market. Just way too slow, and its because the Windows team is in charge now and they never needed to rush anything with their monopoly. Windows Phone needed to remain a loose, free little rebel independent group, being tethered to the OS team is just bad news. They can't get their message out, they can't release until they are allowed to, they can't discuss features, they can't do squat without permission.

kazinova

Critical to who?

Critical to everyone who downloads stuff only to find it's totally borked. I've bought six apps I've had to refund because they fail to load or don't display properly. If there was no refund option I would be done with Android forever.

Hence: "critical".

QR code too small!

had no problem scanning it!

It is a page where you can upload photos from skydrive and it applies a graffiti-effect to them. Not exactly sure what happens then, because I dont have photos of people in my public skydrive.

And it can show you a map of where the store is or something. And it says "a whole new way to shop, come back next week to find out more"

this_guy

Critical to everyone who downloads stuff

Know what's even more critical to people who download stuff? Having stuff to download.

I used an HTC Radar 4g from February until last week to try out Windows phone, but found the app selection too limiting. Quoting 100k apps or whatever is nice, but there were apps that I've used on Android and on my Ipad that just aren't available on Windows phone. Off the top of my head I didn't have a TV guide app, and my banking app with my financial institution.

The People hub is nice I guess if Facebook is your top priority.

Doffen

I used an HTC Radar 4g from February until last week to try out Windows phone, but found the app selection too limiting. Quoting 100k apps or whatever is nice, but there were apps that I've used on Android and on my Ipad that just aren't available on Windows phone. Off the top of my head I didn't have a TV guide app, and my banking app with my financial institution.

The People hub is nice I guess if Facebook is your top priority.

A person who goes from Windows Phone to Android/iOS will also find themself missing some of their key-apps. You cannot expect that every app will be available in every marketplace.

WHAT NO WAY. When / where?!

Who knows?

During Verizon’s first-quarter earnings call Thursday, CFO Fran Shammo voiced the carrier’s support for Microsoft’s mobile OS, saying it’s “hoping to do the same thing” with Windows Phone that it did with Android.

“It is important that there is a third ecosystem brought into the mix here,” Shammo said. “We are fully supportive of that with Microsoft. … We helped create the Android platform from the beginning and it is an incredible platform today, and we are looking to do the same thing with a third ecosystem.”

this_guy

A person who goes from Windows Phone to Android/iOS will also find themself missing some of their key-apps. You cannot expect that every app will be available in every marketplace.

That's true, but with a bigger app selection you have a better chance of replacing an app with a similar app. I gave Windows phone a chance, which is all you can ask from the consumer, and decided it didn't fit my needs. One thing about the HTC Radar, however, is the battery on that phone lasted forever.

freshair

One thing about the HTC Radar, however, is the battery on that phone lasted forever.

+1

I unfortunately moved from a Radar to Android as well just because the app ecosystem wasn't mature enough for me. I would love to return when WP8 hits (pureview lumia, c'mon!) and hopefully more "top tier" apps are present (glad to know that finally draw something is coming).

But yes, the battery on the Radar is amazing. I could have it last a whole week once battery saver kicked it, or charge every other day.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Who reads Engadget regularly and yet never updated their windows phone to mango?

It's hilarious that they point out you need mango to run the Kodak app. What's the point of that?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Who reads Engadget regularly and yet never updated their windows phone to mango?

It's hilarious that they point out you need mango to run the Kodak app. What's the point of that?

it's not worth pointing it out because if you don't have mango you can't access the marketplace anyway

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone has/had Nokia Lumia 710? Any opinions about the phone?

My dad is going to renew his contract soon and wants a (cheap) smartphone. Since it's his first smartphone, I thought about Windows Phone. I'm afraid that Android on a budget phone, with low-res 3.27" screen, isn't for him and from what I've heard, WP runs smooth as butter on any phone, and the metro interface is really user friendly.

In the price range he set for himself Orange offers him two WP phones: Lumia 610 and Lumia 710. I've read 710 that is a decent smartphone (although with cheap case), but everyone complains about its battery life time and slow browser. Are those really that terrible?

What price range? Phones 4 u are doing the 800 for £15 a month. Nearly got my dad on that one but he'd already agreed to a galaxy ace (ugh) for £12 a month on 3.

JaggedSac

MS said that Windows Phone sales have increased 50% quarter over quarter. Any guess at what next quarter's will be? It should be stated that sales for Lumia devices have been said to be flat or slightly up since the Windows Phone 8 announcement.

maeh2k

MS said that Windows Phone sales have increased 50% quarter over quarter. Any guess at what next quarter's will be? It should be stated that sales for Lumia devices have been said to be flat or slightly up since the Windows Phone 8 announcement.

I doubt they'll be good, since there won't be any new phones (whereas new Android phones release like every month). Carriers will highlight other phones and even great devices like the Lumia 800 won't have that much of a presence nearly a year after it released.
The low sales will be attributed to the update situation and, of course, Microsoft will be blamed (as always). However I don't think lack of a WP8 update will play that big of a role. Sure, some potential buyers will be detered by friends or sales people, but most regular phone buyers are completely oblivious to OS updates and couldn't care less.
There are tons of people I'd still recommend a WP7 device to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The low sales will be attributed to the update situation and, of course, Microsoft will be blamed (as always).

And rightfully so. Carriers are always pushing the next big thing, consumers want the new shiny thing and right now MS has handcuffed Nokia. You can bet Nokia is ready for a dual-core, 720p flagship, and they NEED it, but MS is holding them back. Samsung and HTC can just release their phones running Android, but Nokia doesn't have that luxury. So yeah, I'd blame MS too.

PG2G

I dont think you can blame MS if you know the roadmap and still decided to go with it. Unless Microsoft has strayed from their schedule, they can only blame themselves

kehs

Banned
I dont think you can blame MS if you know the roadmap and still decided to go with it. Unless Microsoft has strayed from their schedule, they can only blame themselves

It's been like 7 years since they released mobile software that had a chance at succeeding.

As far as straying from their schedule, them pulling a bait & switch with Apollo is pretty blameworthy.

MarkusRJR

Hey, does anyone know if getting a Lumia 900 is still a good device to buy? I don't really don't care about the new features in WP8 except for the ability to purchase apps with paypal. Will that be coming in WP 7.8? Rogers has a limited time plan which includes 6gb, unlimited SMS/MMS, etc. for only $60. People in the US probably scoff at that, but in Canada that's a good deal. I'm thinking of paying off the last month of my contract and moving over to Rogers before the deal expires.

Note: Contracts in Canada are 3 years.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey, does anyone know if getting a Lumia 900 is still a good device to buy? I don't really don't care about the new features in WP8 except for the ability to purchase apps with paypal. Will that be coming in WP 7.8? Rogers has a limited time plan which includes 6gb, unlimited SMS/MMS, etc. for only $60. People in the US probably scoff at that, but in Canada that's a good deal. I'm thinking of paying off the last month of my contract and moving over to Rogers before the deal expires.

Note: Contracts in Canada are 3 years.

You won't be able to use WP8 apps, and WP7 apps will likely be DOA by time your 3 years are up. The 900 is still a good phone, and if you can get it off contract it's a good stop gap.

Hard to recommend to someone who'd be locked into to a contract for 3 years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom