• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MJ Foley says November for Apollo phones. Sucks to be Nokia right now.

Sounds right to me. That's the same month WP7 devices launched. There are still 3 almost 4 months depending upon the release date in Nov to Nokia though. It's going to be a bumpy ride that's for sure.

Hope all of the WP7 peeps wanting WP8 devices can hold out just a little longer!!

PG2G

It's been like 7 years since they released mobile software that had a chance at succeeding.

As far as straying from their schedule, them pulling a bait & switch with Apollo is pretty blameworthy.

It is blameworthy for Nokia? That is silly, they signed up knowing that was going to happen.

kehs

Banned
It is blameworthy for Nokia? That is silly, they signed up knowing that was going to happen.

I, honestly, don't think Nokia(elop aside) knew 7.5 wouldn't see an update path to 8.

Conjecture though, so lol copernicus trolling.

Vanillalite

I, honestly, don't think Nokia(elop aside) knew 7.5 wouldn't see an update path to 8.

Conjecture though, so lol copernicus trolling.

Actually on semi with Coper on this one. I'm not entirely sold at least when the partnership 1st started taking root which was probably more like 2 years ago (they were probably in talks long before anything official was announced) that Nokia really had a clear picture on what MS was going to do with the WP8 transition. Hell I'd be surprised if MS themselves really knew.

ElNino

You won't be able to use WP8 apps, and WP7 apps will likely be DOA by time your 3 years are up. The 900 is still a good phone, and if you can get it off contract it's a good stop gap.

Hard to recommend to someone who'd be locked into to a contract for 3 years though.
For the last time... you are never locked into a contract for 3 years in Canada (on Rogers at least). Even on the normal "3 year contract", you should be eligible for a hardware upgrade every 24 months, sometimes earlier. When you consider that Rogers doesn't charge for WiFi Hotspot/Tethering, their deals aren't that bad at all.

As for Yaceka, the 900 is a good phone and I don't regret having mine at all. We may not get the WP8 specific apps, but I think there will be a while where we see apps going to both platforms. Not to mention Nokia will be bringing some of the WP8 native apps to the Lumia phones, and in some cases they already have (WP8 is just adding them for non-Lumia devices).

Vanillalite

For the last time... you are never locked into a contract for 3 years in Canada (on Rogers at least). Even on the normal "3 year contract", you should be eligible for a hardware upgrade every 24 months, sometimes earlier. When you consider that Rogers doesn't charge for WiFi Hotspot/Tethering, their deals aren't that bad at all.

As for Yaceka, the 900 is a good phone and I don't regret having mine at all. We may not get the WP8 specific apps, but I think there will be a while where we see apps going to both platforms. Not to mention Nokia will be bringing some of the WP8 native apps to the Lumia phones, and in some cases they already have (WP8 is just adding them for non-Lumia devices).

Eh sadly as much as I like WP7 a lot of current apps aren't even kept up to date as it is. Main stay apps like Spotify and Twitter seem to never get attention. Thankfully we have alternatives.

IDK I like the plan, but even 24 months is a long time to be locked into a 900 when you're already at the juncture where you know you won't be able to go past 7.8. Plus there's only 4 months or so till WP8. I just don't want to see someone get a phone at this juncture and be left out in the cold. :(

ElNino

Eh sadly as much as I like WP7 a lot of current apps aren't even kept up to date as it is. Main stay apps like Spotify and Twitter seem to never get attention. Thankfully we have alternatives.

IDK I like the plan, but even 24 months is a long time to be locked into a 900 when you're already at the juncture where you know you won't be able to go past 7.8. Plus there's only 4 months or so till WP8. I just don't want to see someone get a phone at this juncture and be left out in the cold. :(
Of course, some apps won't be updated anymore, but it's not as if the apps are just going to stop working.

Hell, I used a BlackBerry (two different models) for 3 years before switching to Window Phone, so I basically made do with the stock BB apps and I never had a problem with that.

maeh2k

And rightfully so. Carriers are always pushing the next big thing, consumers want the new shiny thing and right now MS has handcuffed Nokia. You can bet Nokia is ready for a dual-core, 720p flagship, and they NEED it, but MS is holding them back. Samsung and HTC can just release their phones running Android, but Nokia doesn't have that luxury. So yeah, I'd blame MS too.

But it's not just about high-end flagship devices and tech enthusiasts who want multi-core.
At the moment the Galaxy S2 is still the highest-selling device on Amazon Germany (above the S3). Will the S2 ever see Jelly Bean with its smooth UI? I doubt it. Also it costs more than the Lumia 800. (Samsung is shockingly popular at the moment. The top 12 best-selling phones on Amazon Germany are all Samsung, 17 of the top 20 devices)

IMO there are lots of people who would be better off with the Lumia 800 than the GS2.

MarkusRJR

I wasn't aware of that. My shitty carrier worked differently (contract ends, you can re-up for one and you get new phone) so I'm not sure how Rogers works. Care to explain? And how would I find when I'm eligible for an upgrade?

Also, since you're a Rogers Lumia 900 user, maybe you can answer this one for me: Does Rogers support carrier billing when it comes to buying apps? I don't have a credit card so I'm getting my dad to co-sign, but that means I won't be able to buy any apps unless there is carrier billing. I would just use pre-paid cards, but MS doesn't support them for the Marketplace.

But it's not just about high-end flagship devices and tech enthusiasts who want multi-core.
At the moment the Galaxy S2 is still the highest-selling device on Amazon Germany (above the S3). Will the S2 ever see Jelly Bean with its smooth UI? I doubt it. Also it costs more than the Lumia 800. (Samsung is shockingly popular at the moment. The top 12 best-selling phones on Amazon Germany are all Samsung, 17 of the top 20 devices)

IMO there are lots of people who would be better off with the Lumia 800 than the GS2.

Yeah, Samsung is going to dominate the next couple of years, they have the marketting and mindshare, and if needed they could start lowering their prices and still make nice profit. Even though most people who buy those high end phones don't really need a full blown Android smartphones, and would probably be happier with simpler Lumia or Asha model.

Dude, the rumours of WP8 using a new kernel started way before the 900 launched. Given that rumour and other rumours regarding Apollo, it was pretty clear WP7 wouldn't be upgradable. I'm surprised so many people got disappointed that WP7 phones won't get updated to 8. Any logical thinker saw that coming from outer space..

Milchjon

Seems like the update has reduced the battery loss in standby on my Lumia 800. Battery life still sucks, but it's better than it was before.

ElNino

I wasn't aware of that. My shitty carrier worked differently (contract ends, you can re-up for one and you get new phone) so I'm not sure how Rogers works. Care to explain? And how would I find when I'm eligible for an upgrade?
It should be listed in your contract when you are eligible for a hardware upgrade, but I'm pretty confident that the standard is 24 months. Mine is only 12 months, but that is because I am on a grandfathered corporate plan.

As fow how it works, you can go into a Rogers retail store and have them verify if you are eligible using your mobile number. If you are, you renew your plan (ie. a new 3 year contract) and you get the new phone for the on-contract price, which is usually just charged to your next Rogers bill. I've done this four times now, and each time I have been in and out of the store with a new phone in minutes.

Also, since you're a Rogers Lumia 900 user, maybe you can answer this one for me: Does Rogers support carrier billing when it comes to buying apps? I don't have a credit card so I'm getting my dad to co-sign, but that means I won't be able to buy any apps unless there is carrier billing. I would just use pre-paid cards, but MS doesn't support them for the Marketplace.
Sorry, I don't believe Rogers supports carrier billing so you would need a credit card attached to your Live account in order to purchase apps. You should be able to download any free apps without it, but you would need a card to charge for anything paid from the Marketplace.

MarkusRJR

It should be listed in your contract when you are eligible for a hardware upgrade, but I'm pretty confident that the standard is 24 months. Mine is only 12 months, but that is because I am on a grandfathered corporate plan.

As fow how it works, you can go into a Rogers retail store and have them verify if you are eligible using your mobile number. If you are, you renew your plan (ie. a new 3 year contract) and you get the new phone for the on-contract price, which is usually just charged to your next Rogers bill. I've done this four times now, and each time I have been in and out of the store with a new phone in minutes.

Sorry, I don't believe Rogers supports carrier billing so you would need a credit card attached to your Live account in order to purchase apps. You should be able to download any free apps without it, but you would need a card to charge for anything paid from the Marketplace.
I could always get a Lumia 800 with Telus because they're doing a special offer too (5gb instead of 6gb, VM+CID, unlimited SMS/MMS, more minutes, etc. for the same price). I remember seeing a press release saying Telus supporting carrier billing for WP a while ago. The only problem is that the 800 is worse than the 900 (no LTE for when Rogers adds it later this year to my town, smaller screen, worse battery life). I could always just go Android because they support visa/mastercard gift cards on the Play Store but they don't really appeal to me at all. Ugh, picking out a carrier + phone is such a hassle...

Why must MS be so restricted with payment methods on the Marketplace. Like, I want to support WP and buy their phones but MS doesn't want me to because of easy to solve problems. Paypal support would do wonders for me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
24 months, at this point, is too long of a contract for a lumia. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of windows phone whose next phone will be a windows phone. Its not just about not getting Apollo, but the app store is going to get forked and you can assume that, starting as early as this winter, most of the high profile apps will be written for Apollo phones because they share the core of windows 8 apps and its just easier for developers. Yes, apps will still release for wp7 devices, but that will likely slow to a trickle by this time next year and you will still have a whole year left on your contract. Not a good situation to be in.

Vanillalite

24 months, at this point, is too long of a contract for a lumia. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of windows phone whose next phone will be a windows phone. Its not just about not getting Apollo, but the app store is going to get forked and you can assume that, starting as early as this winter, most of the high profile apps will be written for Apollo phones because they share the core of windows 8 apps and its just easier for developers. Yes, apps will still release for wp7 devices, but that will likely slow to a trickle by this time next year and you will still have a whole year left on your contract. Not a good situation to be in.

This was basically my reasoning as well, but I don't think people liked it when I said it. :(

ElNino

I could always get a Lumia 800 with Telus because they're doing a special offer too (5gb instead of 6gb, VM+CID, unlimited SMS/MMS, more minutes, etc. for the same price). I remember seeing a press release saying Telus supporting carrier billing for WP a while ago. The only problem is that the 800 is worse than the 900 (no LTE for when Rogers adds it later this year to my town, smaller screen, worse battery life). I could always just go Android because they support visa/mastercard gift cards on the Play Store but they don't really appeal to me at all. Ugh, picking out a carrier + phone is such a hassle...

Why must MS be so restricted with payment methods on the Marketplace. Like, I want to support WP and buy their phones but MS doesn't want me to because of easy to solve problems. Paypal support would do wonders for me.
I wonder if this is possible? I know there was an option to add PayPal to your Live account when purchasing MS Points, but I'm not sure if that option would be carried over to the WP marketplace. Has anyone tried that?

ElNino

This was basically my reasoning as well, but I don't think people liked it when I said it. :(
I understand your reasoning, and I don't even disagree with it per se... sorry if it came across that way. My point was that you could do a lot worse than being "stuck" with a Lumia 900/800 for the next two years. Even if you aren't getting new apps, the phone should still function as it does today.

MarkusRJR

Thanks for the input guys. :)

What would you guys recommend then? I'm thinking of going Koodo (no contracts, only tabs) and getting a One V, or maybe go to Telus or Rogers to get a One X. I would try the SGIII but I think it looks gross, both hardware and software. The limited time plans, which seem to be the only way to get decent data, end around the beginning of August. Otherwise I'd just wait for WP8, iPhone 5, or BB10 and decide then.

P.S. The main reason I was looking at the Lumia phones was because I loved the aesthetics of both the software and hardware plus the really good contract prices.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Get a cheap phone and just Wait for Apollo. *

*phrase utilized under the terms of international fair use agreements, not enforceable by patent trolls who abandon platforms and then seek monetary retribution.

Vanillalite

Thanks for the input guys. :)

What would you guys recommend then? I'm thinking of going Koodo (no contracts, only tabs) and getting a One V, or maybe go to Telus or Rogers to get a One X. I would try the SGIII but I think it looks gross, both hardware and software. The limited time plans, which seem to be the only way to get decent data, end around the beginning of August. Otherwise I'd just wait for WP8, iPhone 5, or BB10 and decide then.

P.S. The main reason I was looking at the Lumia phones was because I loved the aesthetics of both the software and hardware plus the really good contract prices.

BO NOT GET A ONE V!

HTC just announced JB updates for the One X One XL and One S. The One V isn't on the list. So while it COULD end up on the list I'd stay far away.

PS: I just grabbed a One X cause my old phone borked on me and I'm happy with it if you can't wait. You can read my impressions in the Android thread. :p

MarkusRJR

Get a cheap phone and just Wait for Apollo. *

*phrase utilized under the terms of international fair use agreements, not enforceable by patent trolls who abandon platforms and then seek monetary retribution.
See, if I go to Koodo and get a cheap phone then I'll be there until the next big special like this comes along and when my dad's around to co-sign. This month is like the perfect storm because my dad tends to travel a lot for work. He's currently staying home for the month to remodel the house, so this chance might not come around again in a while. It could be 2 years till I change carriers so that's why I want to lock down the comparatively cheap data plans I want if I go for a contract later on.

BO NOT GET A ONE V!

HTC just announced JB updates for the One X One XL and One S. The One V isn't on the list. So while it COULD end up on the list I'd stay far away.

PS: I just grabbed a One X cause my old phone borked on me and I'm happy with it if you can't wait. You can read my impressions in the Android thread. :p
I don't understand what the big deal about JB is to be honest. From everything I've heard it seems like a Blackberry 6.0 to Blackberry 7.0 caliber upgrade. In other words, just performance increase. I tried the One V and it was the perfect size and look for me. Plus it was pretty speedy for the price. Another big factor for me is screen size. Anything beyond 4.3" is too big for me. That's one of the reasons I'm so hesitant about getting a One X or SGIII, because both are fucking massive.

Vanillalite

See, if I go to Koodo and get a cheap phone then I'll be there until the next big special like this comes along and when my dad's around to co-sign. This month is like the perfect storm because my dad tends to travel a lot for work. He's currently staying home for the month to remodel the house, so this chance might not come around again in a while. It could be 2 years till I change carriers so that's why I want to lock down the comparatively cheap data plans I want if I go for a contract later on.

My One X Impressions

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's a hard ass sell, brett. Damn, dude, I know you're happy in android land, but can you sell android phones there instead of here? lol.

JaggedSac

Nokia Drive 3.0 should be rolling out now. Also, apparently it is getting integrated into WP8. Possibly common knowledge by now, but I am out of the loop.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There was/are some sweet deals for the 900. At Futureshop it is penny, plus I think you get a $50 or $100 gift card. Superstore Mobility was also giving $100 gift cards with the 900 as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
New Nokia drive looks sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkAjW829f9s&feature=player_embedded#!

Also this app is sweet even though it is a little janky. It replicates what the WP8/WP7.8 start screen will be somewhat like. After trying it I'm pretty confident I'm going to love the new start screen and won't miss the the arrow.

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=64fde631-3f99-449d-8149-28e33084dde6

Edit: Rumor: Nokia could get one-month September exclusive on Windows Phone 8, debuting for everyone else in November.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/20/rumour-nokia-could-get-one-month-september-exclusive-on-windows-phone-8-debuting-for-everyone-else-in-november/

Miles X

New Nokia drive looks sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkAjW829f9s&feature=player_embedded#!

Also this app is sweet even though it is a little janky. It replicates what the WP8/WP7.8 start screen will be somewhat like. After trying it I'm pretty confident I'm going to love the new start screen and won't miss the the arrow.

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=64fde631-3f99-449d-8149-28e33084dde6

Wow thanks, love the Nokia drive app, especially as I'm about to get my first car.

Miles X

Invest in a good bluetooth headset as well. Voice to text while driving is sweet.

I will do. I'm not a phone tech wiz, I know Windows users got the Mango update free. This Windows 8, will that be a free update? Or just on new phones or something? Kinda confusing for me ...

I will do. I'm not a phone tech wiz, I know Windows users got the Mango update free. This Windows 8, will that be a free update? Or just on new phones or something? Kinda confusing for me ...

Windows Phone 7.8 for all existing Windows Phones, Windows Phone 8 will only ship with new devices.

hwalker84

Thats why the guy was saying you should've waited. None of the current WP7 devices will receive WP8. Its not to complicated.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Edit: Rumor: Nokia could get one-month September exclusive on Windows Phone 8, debuting for everyone else in November.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/20/rumour-nokia-could-get-one-month-september-exclusive-on-windows-phone-8-debuting-for-everyone-else-in-november/

Excellent. It's obvious now that the only Windows Phones worth getting are from Nokia. They've committed to the 7.8 update, they've committed to new apps for 7.5 phones, they've committed to support the phones even after Apollo launches. What have Samsung and HTC committed to?

If Nokia releases a Windows Phone in September, then that's when I'll sell off my Samsung phone and upgrade to Apollo.

hwalker84

I don't know how I'd feel about that. On one hand it Nokia makes the current best WP7 devices but we don't know about WP8. If we know full well what HTC and Samsung are doing by then and had some hands on comparisons then I'd feel extremely comfortable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know how I'd feel about that. On one hand it Nokia makes the current best WP7 devices but we don't know about WP8. If we know full well what HTC and Samsung are doing by then and had some hands on comparisons then I'd feel extremely comfortable.

Going by the last two years of Windows Phone releases, this is what you can expect from HTC and Samsung this fall:

HTC One X-Windows Phone Edition
Samsung Galaxy S3-Windows Phone Edition

Both are actually good options, but again, Nokia is the way to go with this platform. They are the only ones who care. Have HTC or Samsung even made a statement as to WP 7.8 for their current devices?

derFeef

Samsung will build their knock-off Galaxy windows phone and no one will care, Nokia will make and actually good looking and unique phone, which is of course much better to get attention for the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom