• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Would other companies even bother with the platform is Nokia gets a head start? I mean what benefit would it be to say Samsung to even bother verses just riding their huge international sales of the GS3?

Gaspode_T

Lode Runner is actually a pretty good little port, the screen is a bit small but works and maybe makes the graphics look better than they actually are. It might be easier to swallow at $1.99 instead of $2.99 but it is just a buck difference...

I tried playing this F2P Gun Bros game and you get to the boss and literally there is a pop up like "oh here comes a boss, you better open this store window and stock up on grenades!" (that actually cost money) pisses me off so much that the boss is obviously super hard without doing stuff like that...

Would other companies even bother with the platform is Nokia gets a head start? I mean what benefit would it be to say Samsung to even bother verses just riding their huge international sales of the GS3?

First, it could just be announcement, may be October availability, that wouldn't be so far fetch. Also really, do you think Samsung, HTC care about Windows Phone? They would rather use freeware that they are free to not have to update and put their bloat ware on it.

First, it could just be announcement, may be October availability, that wouldn't be so far fetch. Also really, do you think Samsung, HTC care about Windows Phone? They would rather use freeware that they are free to not have to update and put their bloat ware on it.

This is such an interesting perspective, which completely pretends that another company has entirely abandoned and is not updating 2 platforms (Windows Mobile 6.x, Windows Phone 7) in the space of 2 years. There are many things wrong with how Android is treated by the phone manufacturers but seeing someone who supports MS blasting Android is a textbook example of the pot calling the kettle black.

This is such an interesting perspective, which completely pretends that another company has entirely abandoned and is not updating 2 platforms (Windows Mobile 6.x, Windows Phone 7) in the space of 2 years. There are many things wrong with how Android is treated by the phone manufacturers but seeing someone who supports MS blasting Android is a textbook example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Gee calm down a bit, I am not blasting Android, I am just stating the reason why OEM phone makers would prefer Android over Windows Phone. I am pretty certain one of the reason Windows Phone is not support by carriers/OEM is because it was not very friendly to OEM and carriers.

Also they have update Windows Phone 7 several times already. My first gen Focus that my son is using is update to 7.5 and will get update to 7.8. Windows Mobile is dead OS not sure how that even relevant. Again, not faulting Google just stating the fact about Android.

frontieruk

How many G1's, G2's HTC hero's are running JB? WP6.5 was a mess it had to be left WP7 isn't being dumped unless low end wp8 phones are going dual core as well and MS don't care about a backlash about single core devices running wp8 and old devices not getting an update.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think I want a future device to be a credit card form factor that folds out to double size and is a bit bendy like a credit card and can be used folded or unfolded for double form-factor screen when needed. Presumably OLED or some future variant.

This has far more to do with being a dude with no handbag than any other single requirement. Maybe in five years.

Commodore

/facepalm

C'mon, comparing the plethora of Android devices, of various ranges of specs, with various OS versions, and the ratio of how many of them have JB to the way MS handled their next OS iteration is just plain silly to me. The better way is readily apparent.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
/facepalm

C'mon, comparing the plethora of Android devices, of various ranges of specs, with various OS versions, and the ratio of how many of them have JB to the way MS handled their next OS iteration is just plain silly to me. The better way is readily apparent.

I can't agree to this. The main problem I have is they're forking the app store. Devices that are on Android 2.3 all the way to 4.1 can still access the Google Play store and most of the new tens of thousands of apps that come out every month on Android.

It's not just a firmware upgrade to the latest version, WP 7.5 devices are effectively getting cut off from the future marketplace. It won't happen right away, but if you think that this time next year there will still be a bunch of new 7.5-compatible apps releasing, I think you'll be sorely mistaken.

Commodore

I can't agree to this. The main problem I have is they're forking the app store. Devices that are on Android 2.3 all the way to 4.1 can still access the Google Play store and most of the new tens of thousands of apps that come out every month on Android.

It's not just a firmware upgrade to the latest version, WP 7.5 devices are effectively getting cut off from the future marketplace. It won't happen right away, but if you think that this time next year there will still be a bunch of new 7.5-compatible apps releasing, I think you'll be sorely mistaken.

True. What I wonder is how fast the transition will take place. As in how fast/slow adoption of WP8 phones will turn the WP7 marketplace into a ghost town. If it takes place in 1 year, blech. A 1 1/2-2 years? I think people will be fine as they'd be in upgrade range. I think it'll be a toss up. There will be a bunch that'll get mad, and a bunch that'll not care and be fine with the selection of apps as is. I still think what we're gaining(sharing core with Windows 8) far outweighs what we're loosing.

maeh2k

I think that will definitely apply to games. Games benefit the most from the new development options (C++/DirectX) and the shared APIs with Windows 8. In addition they also benefit the most from the new, more capable devices.

I'm not so sure about the other apps. People can still write WP7.5 apps which will work on WP8. If you don't depend on WP8-exclusive features there's no downside and you get the benefit of the existing install base.

/facepalm

Strangely enough, the plethora of Android devices all have access to the same Android Market/Google Play Store and new apps are generally always compatible with old versions of Android. The plethora of Android devices can run all new and old apps, since only a tiny percentage of devices are still being used which aren't upgradable at least to Android 2.2, which is the minimum requirement for most apps these days.

Meanwhile all WM6.5 devices can't run apps for WP7, and all WP7 devices can't run apps for WP8. The better way is readily apparent.

I might mention that there being a plethora of Android devices is an indication of the health of that platform, which has recently surpassed 1 million new activations per day. People on the other side of the fence talk about fragmentation but the most fragmented platform on Earth is x86 and just look at how badly that platform has done over the years. You have a minimum of 1 x86 device in your house right now and you probably regularly access the Internet with it on a daily basis.

kehs

Banned
/facepalm

Indeed.

Windows_Phone_7_manufacturers.JPG

to

20120620_105307_575px.jpg

Progress.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Indeed.

to

Progress.

That's a really deceptive photo comparison. Qualcomm is still a launch partner. HP and Sony/Ericcson never released a phone, and I'm not even sure what that Garmin logo is for, but there was no Garmin phone.

They lost LG and Dell, which made one phone, and gained Nokia and Huawei. That's a tradeoff any android fanboy would take, even you. There was no net loss in phone manufacturers.

That's a really deceptive photo comparison. Qualcomm is still a launch partner. HP and Sony/Ericcson never released a phone, and I'm not even sure what that Garmin logo is for, but there was no Garmin phone.

They lost LG and Dell, which made one phone, and gained Nokia and Huawei. That's a tradeoff any android fanboy would take, even you. There was no net loss in phone manufacturers.

It's a bad troll with a comparison I made in this and the Nokia Q2 2012 thread. And yes, there was a loss, just like there was an Garmin Asus phone.
The following manufacturers are scheduled for delivering WP8 devices during 2013: Nokia, Huawei*, Samsung, HTC, ZTE, Lenovo* and Acer.

* = new

The total count is still down, compared to the first Windows Phone announcement in 2010.

Windows Phone 7 announcement in 2010:
tCeOF.jpg

Reality:
HP bailed because they bought Palm.
SE had a prototype in development and decided to dump it (Google "Sony Ericsson Julie")
Garmin-Asus provided developer phones, but the join venture split before they could bring a device to market
Toshiba had a Windows Phone 6.5 device with WP7 specs, but unlike HTC, they didn't come out with a WP7 version
Dell's phone was rushed to market and beta

Windows Phone 7.5 announcement in 2011:
S2eVv.jpg

Reality:
LG re-released their first Windows Phone with same hardware specs under a fashion label (Jil Sander E906)
ZTE, like Acer, released a single mediocre device with absolute minimum specs, probably as part of their Android licensing agreement
Same could be said about Fujitsu, even though their phone was decent.

Windows Phone 8:
NlMpH.jpg

He even edited the post and switched the second picture for the first picture, because it had more manufacturers. Coco is losing quality, man.

kehs

Banned

I would have posted the one with carrier support, but I didn't feel like rubbing wounds with salt.

Samsung, HTC and Nokia. What other third party manufacturers do you honestly think will make a difference in say, the US? Also, what Van said.

If you don't think people are buying phones from other manufactures, well then you're just delusional.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I would have posted the one with carrier support, but I didn't feel like rubbing wounds with salt.

If you don't think people are buying phones from other manufactures, well then you're just delusional.
your delusional if you think people actually want phone from those brands. "Hey guys check out this HP phone. its awesome* i swear =< "

*awesomeness may not be included

jagowar

Problem with Pure View is while were basically assured of a Nokia phone at launch for WP8 we aren't really assured of a Nokia phone with Pure View. You could still be waiting till 2013. :(

I still say pureview is the most important technology for cell phones since the touchscreen. It finally puts a good camera on your phone. I think it will be the biggest feature to get ios/android people to move over (assuming nokia has it patented and other oem's can't copy it)

I just hope the pureview cameras come to all carriers (namely sprint as I am now on ting which is a sprint mvno). They have said wp8 is on their roadmap but w/o any phones being announced for sprint yet we really don't know which carriers will get the "good" ones.

Zte, Acer, and Fujitsu were a net loss. Not sure if want.

Another thing Coco "forgot" to mention, the brands in those pictures are strictly launch partners. ZTE and Acer will both release a Windows Phone with OS 8 in 2013.

But all this "who needs the ZTE PoorPeople anyway? I'll get a better phone!" needs to stop. Less manufacturers is always bad. I don't get why we're even arguing about this.

Good ol' WP thread.

Seriously Coco, if you're drunk then go and troll the RIM deathwatch thread. Don't become another brainless soldier.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing Coco "forgot" to mention, the brands in those pictures are strictly launch partners. ZTE and Acer will both release a Windows Phone with OS 8 in 2013.

But all this "who needs the ZTE PoorPeople anyway? I'll get a better phone!" needs to stop. Less manufacturers is always bad. I don't get why we're even arguing about this.

Seriously Coco, if you're drunk then go and troll the RIM deathwatch thread. Don't become another brainless solider.

Nice.

kehs

Banned

This is all I'm saying.

I didn't know ZTE/Acer had plans, but 2013? lol

Acer: "launch its first Windows Phone 8 devices in the second half of 2013".

ZTE: "The company did not go into any more details about the handset, nor did it give any indication of when we can expect a release date."

Yea, that's some amazing initiative.

this_guy

Gee calm down a bit, I am not blasting Android, I am just stating the reason why OEM phone makers would prefer Android over Windows Phone. I am pretty certain one of the reason Windows Phone is not support by carriers/OEM is because it was not very friendly to OEM and carriers.

Also they have update Windows Phone 7 several times already. My first gen Focus that my son is using is update to 7.5 and will get update to 7.8. Windows Mobile is dead OS not sure how that even relevant. Again, not faulting Google just stating the fact about Android.

What exactly do we know about 7.8? The only thing we know right now is this update allows you to further customize your home screen, which pretty much any android phone can do (home screens can be customized to whatever you make of it). And also it's been mentioned, older android devices still are compatible with the majority of new apps and app updates.

Commodore

This is all I'm saying.

I hear ya. Different manufacturers cater to different markets around the world. Of course it would make sense to have as many as possible to cover those markets. Specifically with the US, what other manufacturers that would actually make a difference, should be included here?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

these smaller manufacturers will only support the platform if nokia, Samsung, and htc are able to grow the OS market share. It makes no sense whining about not having an Apollo PoorPeople phone at launch. The platform needs the heavy hitters, and Nokia can push downward. If they can't do that, it doesn't really matter what zte and Fujitsu do.

these smaller manufacturers will only support the platform if nokia, Samsung, and htc are able to grow the OS market share. It makes no sense whining about not having an Apollo PoorPeople phone at launch. The platform needs the heavy hitters, and Nokia can push downward. If they can't do that, it doesn't really matter what zte and Fujitsu do.

Android didn't get big because it had some high-end phones.

kehs

Banned
Apollo PoorPeople phone

lol. Jesus christ.

Smartphone users wo are already using smartphones and switching platforms is nearly tapped out in terms of numbers.

Anyone who wants to succeed needs to be going after the prepaid market, and current feature phone users. No company is going to chase that market if they have to pay and depend on Microsoft or a third party for software.

Nokia could, maybe, if they weren't intentionally being run into the ground.

Don't forget Kin. They dropped that mobile os so fast people don't even remember it.

the more I think about it, the more irrelevant the windows phone 8 app situation is.

from what I gathered at the wp8 dev conference, the apps that will take advantage of the new apis will be windows phone 8 based, coded in C++/#. however, apps that do not take advantage of those can be coded in silverlight, so any competent developer would do that in order to take advantage of the wp7 userbase. in effect, if it goes well, the only apps that will be wp8 exclusive will be apps that use the wp8 apis, which due to the hardware requirements could never be achieved on wp7 hardware anyway.

summary? apps that need better hardware will be wp8 exclusive, everything else will run on both. what does this mean for wp7 users? any app that CAN run on your phone technically speaking will be released for wp7 in one shape or form.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
the more I think about it, the more irrelevant the windows phone 8 app situation is.

from what I gathered at the wp8 dev conference, the apps that will take advantage of the new apis will be windows phone 8 based, coded in C++/#. however, apps that do not take advantage of those can be coded in silverlight, so any competent developer would do that in order to take advantage of the wp7 userbase. in effect, if it goes well, the only apps that will be wp8 exclusive will be apps that use the wp8 apis, which due to the hardware requirements could never be achieved on wp7 hardware anyway.

summary? apps that need better hardware will be wp8 exclusive, everything else will run on both. what does this mean for wp7 users? any app that CAN run on your phone technically speaking will be released for wp7 in one shape or form.

Nobody cares or devs in silverlight anymore. For all intensive purposes Silverlight is DOA now.

this_guy

That sounds good in theory, but is the current windows phone 7 user base large enough for developers to care?

Indeed.

to

Progress.

I know you are just full of shit troll but come on, the reason the list go down is simply because Garmin, Dell and HP no longer make phones and Sony Ericsson is dead.

*s8gh* I forget how fast you guys get unbaned ... it was nice in here for awhile but it seems Droid trolls are back in full force to defend their "freedom" OS.

It's got big because it's free and it allow any manufacture to put their wares on it.

In addition, it got big because Verizon needed something to combat the iPhone...
....and it was definitely the best alternative at the time. Android was kind of garbage then, but everything was garbage then. It's gotten much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom