• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
are you kidding me? google cnet's pureview vs Panasonic's LX5. the pureview beat out the LX5 in photos alone. as far as video, the pureview destroys the LX5 and even out does many entry level DSLRs.

Do you actually read my post? I compared N8 to a 1/1.7" camera.

As far as 808, you have to compare it to a camera with a similar sensor size. Now go to flickr and show me why RX100 or Nikon 1 has worse image quality than 808.

giga

are you kidding me? google cnet's pureview vs Panasonic's LX5. the pureview beat out the LX5 in photos alone. as far as video, the pureview destroys the LX5 and even out does many entry level DSLRs.
The LX5 has a really small sensor. I'd love to see some citations about it beating entry level DSLRs in anything but resolution.

The outputted image using zoom does not have to be 5mp. It also still uses the same oversampling when zooming until it is 1:1. Which is why I say if Nokia patented any of the oversampling software, then it is a big deal. And it definitely seems like something patentable judging by other garbage software patents out there.
5MP, 8MP--makes no difference to me. I was just explaining how it works.

joshschw

The outputted image using zoom does not have to be 5mp. It also still uses the same oversampling when zooming until it is 1:1. Which is why I say if Nokia patented any of the oversampling software, then it is a big deal. And it definitely seems like something patentable judging by other garbage software patents out there.

I wonder if it's something that's "patentable." Maybe it would be due to the fact they can call it a mobile device or something, otherwise Nikon's DSLR's have a crop mode that is akin to "zooming." All cameras and phones have oversampling to create a smaller image - output size - as well, so that part is certainly not new.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
And all this time I thought there was some software "magic", now I just found out pureview is just a big ass sensor that anyone can slap on their phones.

tino

Banned
I just checked iSuppli's iPhone 4s cost teardown, they valued the camera component at $18. IMO 808's camera assemply cost significantly more. The sensor (and lens) is at lease 7 times bigger than the iPhone's camera.

I wouldn't be surprised if the camera assembly cost Nokia $150-200.

Nokia can do it because its traditional a non-US prepaid market company. Its easier to add $100 on top of the $600 phone; but its a lot harder for a phone company to add $100 on top of the on-contract $199 price.

But the market is going this way. I can see in 5 years the smartphone cameras will replace the small, 3x zoom point and shoot market entirely. Camera companies need to go with bigger sensor/higher zoom ratio, or die.

And all this time I thought there was some software "magic", now I just found out pureview is just a big ass sensor that anyone can slap on their phones.

7vcFI.jpg

KGUJG.jpg

JaggedSac

Of course it has a big ass sensor. But it is a big ass sensor coupled with software that does the oversampling. Of course it could have been done before like this. But no one has. Not from a big ass sensor like that. And not on a phone. It has a two fold effect, effectively no need for optical zoom and the noise reduction is fantastic. Lessens the need for a seperate device. More convergence. Plus they get to name it, which has great marketing repercussions, even if others can do it. Much like Retina.

I have a Titan. I was in an MS store the other day they had a Titan II in there. Goddamn the casing for that is so much nicer than the original. I was jelly.

Tapiozona

Banned
I have a Titan. I was in an MS store the other day they had a Titan II in there. Goddamn the casing for that is so much nicer than the original. I was jelly.

I had both and definitely prefer the original Titan. The Titan 2 is much fatter and the curve makes it seem even larger than it already is. Not to mention the cheap plastic case vs. the cold aluminum one on the Titan. Keep what you have and enjoy the better product.

I had both and definitely prefer the original Titan. The Titan 2 is much fatter and the curve makes it seem even larger than it already is. Not to mention the cheap plastic case vs. the cold aluminum one on the Titan. Keep what you have and enjoy the better product.

Hmm interesting. The one in the store hadthe security thing on the back, so I couldn't get a full feel of it in my hand, but the case felt better from what I did feel.

Doesn't matter, I'm not doing anything why my Titan, still in contract for another 16 months.

NeOak

I just checked iSuppli's iPhone 4s cost teardown, they valued the camera component at $18. IMO 808's camera assemply cost significantly more. The sensor (and lens) is at lease 7 times bigger than the iPhone's camera.

I wouldn't be surprised if the camera assembly cost Nokia $150-200.

Nokia can do it because its traditional a non-US prepaid market company. Its easier to add $100 on top of the $600 phone; but its a lot harder for a phone company to add $100 on top of the on-contract $199 price.

But the market is going this way. I can see in 5 years the smartphone cameras will replace the small, 3x zoom point and shoot market entirely. Camera companies need to go with bigger sensor/higher zoom ratio, or die.

No, its can't be that expensive. Nokia makes a huge fucking profit in every smartphone they sell vs cost when its produced by them.

And please don't forget that the Apple zerg pay like 200 more for a extra 48GB memory when it costs what? 10 bucks? And that is a 2yr contract price.

thirty

Banned
went to a Chinese restaurant where they gave our table no English menus. I tried Bing vision translator and everyone with their iPhones and androids were truly impressed. to the point where they were all asking when WP8 was coming out

Commodore

Anybody else using PaperKarma? Very useful app. Had my junk mail slowly turn into a trickle.

PaperKarma helps you get rid of Junk Mail and save the Earth at the same time! Simply take snapshots of your >paper< Junk Mail, press Send and voila... you'll be unsubscribed from the sender automatically.

PaperKarma handles magazines, catalogs, flyers, credit card offers, white / yellow pages, local advertisers, ... If there is a "customer list" somewhere with your name on it, we'll find it and work with company to remove it. PaperKarma cannot stop Junk Mail that is distributed based on zip codes (there is no customer list in such cases).

During registration, the only information you need to provide is your name + address as it appears on the mailing label (+ optionally your phone # for Yellow Page unsubscribes). When taking pictures, please include just the name of the publication/company such that it can be uniquely identified - we do not need your name/adrs in the picture).

Give PaperKarma a try and save a few trees!

PG2G

A mysterious NOKIA Update for Windows Phone just hit my already-Tango Lumia 900. I wonder what it does?

Lumia 900 version 2175.2101.8779.12201: Enhanced sensitivity for proximity sensor performance and improvement to your phone’s screen colours in low light conditions

- Lumia 710 version 1600.3031.8779.12180: Internet sharing (Wi-Fi Hotspot) — Share your phone’s internet connection over Wi-Fi with up to five other devices or computers and Flip to silence — Silence incoming calls by turning your phone face down.

- Lumia 610 version 1066.0000.8779.12201: Enhanced sensitivity for proximity sensor performance and improved sound level for alarm tone during voice calls

Lumia 900 version 2175.2101.8779.12201: Enhanced sensitivity for proximity sensor performance and improvement to your phone’s screen colours in low light conditions

I got this one. Strange that something needed fixing in the first place, as I didn't notice anything wrong in low light...?

jagowar

If camera was that important for cell phones the Galaxy Nexus wouldn't have sold so many units despite many reviews and people complaining about the quality of it's camera. Maybe PureView will be a revolution that drives phone sales, but the odds are that it won't be. Cell phones are a commodity market not unlike laptop computers. A few people will search for business-class laptops and pay more for a laptop which won't fail immediately after the 1 year warranty ends. The rest will go to Best Buy and pay $400 for a piece of shit laptop and be happy they got a bargain. If a fancy camera is the best thing Nokia can bring to the table they are more fucked than RIM.

The galaxy nexus line sells because its the un-screwed up version of android made with google themselves signing off. Look at the nexus7 tablet selling well for the same reason. Each device needs to have it's selling point to get people to want them and after years of crappy android that userbase was and is desperate for the "apple" treatment. The same thing will happen with surface (because its made by ms).... they will sell as many as they make. The question will be how many do they make.

Windows Phone devices in general have suffered from the "it does nothing better than the competition" syndrome. If nokia is smart and brands their lumia pureview as the "real" camera phone that could be their ticket to get their devices in the general consumers hands.

Fjolle

The galaxy line sells because its the un-screwed up version of android made with google themselves signing off. Look at the tablet selling well for the same reason. Each device needs to have it's selling point to get people to want them and after years of crappy android that userbase was and is desperate for the "apple" treatment. The same thing will happen with surface (because its made by ms).... they will sell as many as they make. The question will be how many do they make.

Windows Phone devices in general have suffered from the "it does nothing better than the competition" syndrome. If nokia is smart and brands their lumia pureview as the "real" camera phone that could be their ticket to get their devices in the general consumers hands.

No no no. The galaxy line is still screwed up and has nothing to do with google. The nexus line is what google signed off on, and they sold like a couple of 100k...

jagowar

No no no. The galaxy line is still screwed up and has nothing to do with google. The nexus line is what google signed off on, and they sold like a couple of 100k...

I meant galaxy nexus (and nexus7 tablet)... edited my post to reflect what I meant.

MANDATORY REQUIRED MS SCHILL POST RELATED TO DROPBOX/BOX:

Why don't you just use Skydrive!?

[But seriously, I have a dropbox and used it religously in school until last summer when I discovered skyDrive. All seem pretty good.]

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
SkyDrive works best on my phone, dropbox works best across my desktops/laptops, and Box gives me the most free storage (50gb), so I use all three.

kn1ves24

I don't mean to derail the thread but on an unrelated note, in WP is there a setting somewhere that I can use to toggle 3G connectivity? I know on my iPhone and my previous 3G phones there was always a setting I could change to turn 3G off. I've looked all over the settings page but I can't seem to find one, is there no option?

Frost_Ace

I don't mean to derail the thread but on an unrelated note, in WP is there a setting somewhere that I can use to toggle 3G connectivity? I know on my iPhone and my previous 3G phones there was always a setting I could change to turn 3G off. I've looked all over the settings page but I can't seem to find one, is there no option?
settings>cellular.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That doesn't work on all carriers. You may need to hack the registry or unlock the phone depending on your model.

Also, my brother's 3gs broke and he bought a Focus Flash, that is one slick little phone. My brother likes it a lot, and I was impressed with the compact size and hand feel. The smaller screen also helps with dpi.

kn1ves24

That doesn't work on all carriers. You may need to hack the registry or unlock the phone depending on your model.

Also, my brother's 3gs broke and he bought a Focus Flash, that is one slick little phone. My brother likes it a lot, and I was impressed with the compact size and hand feel. The smaller screen also helps with dpi.

Nice! Yeah I'm really liking it so far. I think its a great phone considering its price. My only real issue with it so far is I'm not too impressed with the battery life. I only get about 12-14 hours out of the battery with light to moderate use throughout the day.

Frost, I looked there but the only option I have is to turn the data off completely. Maybe this phone or ATT just doesn't give me the option.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nice! Yeah I'm really liking it so far. I think its a great phone considering its price. My only real issue with it so far is I'm not too impressed with the battery life. I only get about 12-14 hours out of the battery with light to moderate use throughout the day.

Frost, I looked there but the only option I have is to turn the data off completely. Maybe this phone or ATT just doesn't give me the option.

Did you get your phone new or used? It might just be an older bad battery or something which you could scout around for a replacement.

dLMN8R

Hey guys, do you know if there's anything like iCatcher for Windows Phone? I know Windows Phone might not physically enable every scenario that iCatcher can do, but is there anything that can at least do 1.5x/2x playback of podcasts?

Commodore

Hearing rumors a further preview of Apollo will be happening September 5th (under two weeks!). Plus Nokia apparently will unveil two phones. Don't be a rumor. Don't be a rumor. Don't be a rumor. C'mon lets get this cat out of the friggin' bag!

dLMN8R

Hearing rumors a further preview of Apollo will be happening September 5th (under two weeks!). Plus Nokia apparently will unveil two phones. Don't be a rumor. Don't be a rumor. Don't be a rumor. C'mon lets get this cat out of the friggin' bag!

September 5th is a month and two weeks away ;-)

Frost_Ace

that should turn only the 3g off, don't worry :p

Fjolle

I've been saying that for months...
It's Nokia, they will show more than 2 phones. I was hoping that MS would preview Apollo before as it would be a bit weird for everyone else that it is revealed at a Nokia event.

Doffen

I bought my father an Omnia W (European version of Focus Flash), and his phone easily makes it trough a day (24+ hours).

PG2G

USB port on my Focus is on its way out... I have to jiggle it around to charge or get my PC to recognize it. I really don't want a new phone until WP8 though...

Considering buying a secondary battery and an external charger (if such a thing exists), any suggestions?

PG2G

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Way late. Early September seems like the probable date for an Apollo consumer features blowout, though I'd prefer it in August.

Early to mid November for new phones also is looking like the smart bet. We should have info on those phones, hands on impressions, and maybe even an engadget/verge OS review by October.

dLMN8R

A winky face, he knows something! Get him, guys!

The only thing I know about Windows Phone right now is that, unless unannounced stuff about Windows Phone 8 surprises the ever-lovin' shit out of me in completely unexpected ways, I'm probably going back to the iPhone this Fall.

The only thing I know about Windows Phone right now is that, unless unannounced stuff about Windows Phone 8 surprises the ever-lovin' shit out of me in completely unexpected ways, I'm probably going back to the iPhone this Fall.

Aw man, that's harsh. What is it that you dislike about the current platform and how is v8 not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom