• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Windows 8 only? Does MS actually want WP8 to succeed?

That was said by Thurott a while ago. I believe it was something about the emulator using Hyper V.

I don't see this as a huge issue when you consider a Widnows 8 upgrade is so cheap

Just noticed this in the document: "apps can use APIs to launch other apps and associate themselves as the default handlers for certain file types." That should be pretty nice
Apps can add/delete music, pictures and audio

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Windows Phone Apollo Release Notes.htm

I want this file.

Today is going to be a good day. MS had a chance to control the message, but they stalled, and now other people are going to give us the Apollo info instead. I hope they have a blog post typed up and ready to go, cause its about to get real.

By futurix on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:20 am EDT

Stuff I found in the docs so far:
- native code / C++ support
- not identical to desktop WinRT, but very close
- NO HTML5 apps a la Windows 8
- speech commands
- Bluetooth and NFC APIs
- read-only SD card access
- app-to-app communication using URIs
- in-app purchases
- DirectX 11.1 but with lower level of tech compared to desktop and no Direct2D / DirectWrite / WIC (bummer!)
- VOIP
- easy scaling for multiple resolutions support and auto-scaling
- Wallet APIs
- IPv6
- Nokia Maps API
- faster lag-free Panoramas and Pivots
- right-to-left text support
- built-in emoticons support

bummer...

PG2G

Windows 8 required to create Windows 8 apps. Windows Phone 8 has Windows 8 core, so... Windows 8 required to make Windows Phone 8 apps. Not that much of a stretch.

JaggedSac

Today is going to be a good day. MS had a chance to control the message, but they stalled, and now other people are going to give us the Apollo info instead. I hope they have a blog post typed up and ready to go, cause its about to get real.

These are most likely going to be things we heard about previously. MS designed customer facing enhancements(ie. Bing Maps updates, Music app updates, etc) most likely won't be in their SDK.

EDIT: Ok, so maybe there is a reference to Nokia Maps 3D mapping and enhanced map rendering.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If apps can't be stored on the sd card, that will suck. But it won't be entirely useless to me, since looking at my usage, the bulk of my current memory use is pictures, video, music, and podcasts, and I assume that MS will be able to sync my media to the sd card, leaving the 16gb internal memory to apps alone. Not ideal, but for me, at least, a much much better option than what I have now.

PG2G

Apps can be installed from SD card but can't be stored on the SD card, from what I've been reading. I can see how having apps on removable storage could cause a lot more complication than necessary. Not to mention, the internal storage is typically faster and more reliable than most SD cards.

Would be nice to store things like offline maps on SD though

Blackhead

Redarse
By futurix on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:20 am EDT

Stuff I found in the docs so far:
- native code / C++ support
- not identical to desktop WinRT, but very close
- NO HTML5 apps a la Windows 8
- speech commands
- Bluetooth and NFC APIs
-read-only SD card access
- app-to-app communication using URIs
- in-app purchases
- DirectX 11.1 but with lower level of tech compared to desktop and no Direct2D / DirectWrite / WIC (bummer!)
- VOIP
- easy scaling for multiple resolutions support and auto-scaling
- Wallet APIs
- IPv6
- Nokia Maps API
- faster lag-free Panoramas and Pivots
- right-to-left text support
- built-in emoticons support

bummer...
YAY

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Winsupersite has Apollo screenshots. Go! Go!

Edit: nothing huge, but our first look at Xbox music, wallet, data smart, and the camera app. Like very similar, so brot should be happy. They didn't gut the look of windows phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With regards to Xbox Music, I hope users outside the states have the meta data fixed. I want a pic for almost every artist, bio's, etc.

JaggedSac

Cool, 3rd party apps can provide background images, app icons, app counts and app text to the lock screen.

Must be quick and provide daily Bing image wallpaper app!!!

And an apology to Mr Mardigan. I did not think the emulator would have those apps on there. I guess this SDK leak is going to provide a fair amount of information.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Must be quick and provide daily Bing image wallpaper app!!!

And an apology to Mr Mardigan. I did not think the emulator would have those apps on there. I guess this SDK leak is going to provide a fair amount of information.

Pretty sure that will happen. With the new Bing toolbar on PC's you can this. I love Bing images.

Edit: Also it sounds like camera options, like changing lens settings, etc. will be much easier.

Milchjon

Edit: nothing huge, but our first look at Xbox music, wallet, data smart, and the camera app. Like very similar, so brot should be happy. They didn't gut the look of windows phone.

Hmm, that isn't all that exciting so far. But I like that they didn't fuck with the basic design.

JaggedSac

Pretty sure that will happen. With the new Bing toolbar on PC's you can this. I love Bing images.

Edit: Also it sounds like camera options, like changing lens settings, etc. will be much easier.

Shit, and then I remember that I will not have WP8 on my device. It will be WP7.8 which will not be capable of having apps update my lock screen. :(

Frost_Ace

This is annoying, I'm having the same problem with the zune live tile that someone here had a while ago.

Basically it doesn't show the artist on the live tile and in the background while listening to a song. Any fix to this?

giga

Lock screen notifications. No word on directly launching from the lock screen. Looks like they're not a fan of notification center concepts either.

The app icon, count and text are pulled directly from the app's primary tile – the secondary tile does not have an impact on this feature. Information is only displayed in the lock screen if the tile contains the information – for example, a count will only display on the lock screen if the tile displays it.

WP SDK requirements

You must have the 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro.

Apps in memory are still limited to 5 and closed if you "Back" out of it. Apps not launched from the multitasking menu still don't restore the previous state.
LLShC.gif

A user can launch a new instance of your app by selecting it from the installed applications list or from a Tile on Start in addition to other means, such as tapping on a toast notification associated with the app or selecting the app from the Photos Extras menu. When your app is launched this way, it should present a user interface that makes it clear to the user that a new instance the app was launched. It’s ok to provide context about the user’s previous experience with the app, such as a list of recent documents the user viewed, but it shouldn’t appear as though the user is returning to a previously running instance of the app.

A tombstoned app has been terminated, but the operating system preserves information about its navigation state and also preserves the state dictionaries the app populated during Deactivated. The device will maintain tombstoning information for up to five apps at a time. If an app is tombstoned and the user navigates back to the application, it will be relaunched and the application can use the preserved data to restore state.

The Closing event is raised when the user navigates backwards past the first page of an app. In this case, the app is terminated and no state is saved. In the Closing event handler, your app can save data that should persist across instances. There is a limit of 10 seconds for an app to complete all application and page navigation events. If this limit is exceeded, the application is terminated. For this reason, it is a good idea to save persistent state throughout the lifetime of the application and avoid having to do large amounts of file I/O in the Closing event handler.

File associations

You can use file and protocol associations in Windows Phone 8 Developer Preview to automatically launch your app when another app launches a specific file type or URI. When launched, a deep link URI is used to send the file (a reference to the file) or URI to your app. You can also use the association launching API to launch another app in the same way. This topic describes file and protocol associations, and how you can use them in your app.

When the user launches a file or URI from an app, what happens next depends on which apps are installed on the phone. If no apps on the phone can handle that particular file or protocol association, the user will be given the option to get one that does.

When there is only one app on the phone registered for a particular file or protocol association, that app will be automatically launched when the user wants to open it. If a user has more than one app on their phone registered for a file or protocol association, each time the user opens the file, they will be as asked which app they want to use.

Reserved file associations

There are two types of reserved file types: file types reserved for Windows Phone built-in apps and file types reserved for the operating system. When a file type reserved for a built-in app is launched, only the built-in app will launch. Any attempt to register your app with that file type is ignored. Similarly, any attempt to register your app with a file type reserved for the operating system also will be ignored.

Windows Phone reserves the following file types for built-in apps.

.cer
.pfx
.docx/.doc
.png
.jpg/.jpeg
.pptx/.ppt
.mp3
.rtf
.p7b
.xap
.pem
.xlsx/.xls

Two types of apps. Managed and DirectX. Unless you're working with DirectX, apps won't be purely native.

Windows Phone 8 Developer Preview applications belong to one of two categories. managed apps are based on managed code, but you can also invoke native code from this application type. And in Windows Phone 8 Developer Preview, many of the phone features are exposed via WinPRT APIs, which are accessible from both native and managed code. The other application type is a DirectX app. You cannot invoke managed code from within a DirectX app. Many application scenarios can be achieved with either a managed app or a DirectX app. But even though you can achieve similar results, there are some big differences in the structure, implementation, and available APIs for each application type. It’s important that you understand these differences and choose the right model for you app before you start coding.

Managed – The UI framework for managed apps, including controls and page navigation, means application is quicker and easier. Access to the WinPRT library, the DrawingSurface control, which allows you to render graphics into a XAML page using DirectX, and the ability to invoke native assemblies from managed code means that managed apps don’t sacrifice much functionality or performance as compared to native-only apps. There are several useful features, like Live Tiles, the Background Transfer Service, and several of the built-in Launchers and Choosers that can only be used in managed apps applications. managed apps apps will also allow you to reuse most code from Windows Phone OS 7.1 applications.

DirectX - DirectX apps are intended for apps for which the highest-possible performance is required, such as complex 3D games. There are no built-in controls or other user interface primitives. Pure native applications are easier to port to Windows 8 native applications as well as other platforms that support native code.

Wallet

Windows Phone 8 Developer Preview introduces the Wallet app with which users can do the following:

Store payment instructions, deals, and loyalty cards.
Manage the payment instruments that they use in the app and music store.
Link items in the wallet to apps on their phone.
Make contactless transactions, using near field communication (NFC), in certain markets.

XNA is pretty much dead.

You cannot create new XNA projects, that target Windows Phone 8 Developer Preview. If you select an XNA project template, then you can only choose Windows Phone OS 7.1 as the target operating system.

You cannot upgrade existing XNA projects, to target Windows Phone 8 Developer Preview.

You can continue to develop and maintain new or existing XNA projects, that target Windows Phone 7.1.

If apps can't be stored on the sd card, that will suck. But it won't be entirely useless to me, since looking at my usage, the bulk of my current memory use is pictures, video, music, and podcasts, and I assume that MS will be able to sync my media to the sd card, leaving the 16gb internal memory to apps alone. Not ideal, but for me, at least, a much much better option than what I have now.
As long as I can store all my music on an SD card, it's good for me.

Data Sense will be nice to have.

JaggedSac

Interesting, Bing backgrounds are built in. I guess I'll create a scantily clad daily background app, hopefully before the thousand others come to market.

That backup to cloud stuff is cool.

How will Together be different from Groups?

Actually getting interested in possibly entertaining the idea of maybe looking into buying a WP8 device outright.

PG2G

Interesting, Bing backgrounds are built in. I guess I'll create a scantily clad daily background app, hopefully before the thousand others come to market.

That backup to cloud stuff is cool.

How will Together be different from Groups?

Actually getting interested in possibly entertaining the idea of maybe looking into buying a WP8 device outright.

Hopefully Together won't show up in your contact list. I hated having my Groups show up at the top of my contact list when I pretty much only grouped people for the sake of the live tile

tino

Banned
Can WP8 app write to SD card at all? If you can't write to it, there is no way to make a podcast app or RSS app, or any offline app for that matter.

PG2G

so no true multitasking for WP8? hope WP8 allows multitasking for GPS fitness apps.

It supports background location, so yeah it does

Can WP8 app write to SD card at all? If you can't write to it, there is no way to make a podcast app or RSS app, or any offline app for that matter.

Why do either of those apps need to write to SD card? They can use the internal storage like they do now.

Magni

Just splurged $400 on a Galaxy Nexus. I'll be giving it to my brother in a few months (he's paying 150€, so basically half :D) and hoping to come back to WP, but I really really need pentabend. Any word on that? :/

Commodore

Glad we're finally getting some evidence of a backup solution. Good to hear about third party apps getting a chance to notify on the home screen. And maybe a simple thing, but good to see more accent colors. Still would love more of a user defined color option though.

Don't see any problem with the SD cards being read only. The brunt of the space I'd use on a phone would be media, and I'd rather have all of that media on a card, leaving the internal storage for apps, texts etc. Would work fine.

Funny we're getting info via leak again. Microsoft needs to learn how to announce and launch at roughly the same time ala Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom