• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I know about Windows Phone right now is that, unless unannounced stuff about Windows Phone 8 surprises the ever-lovin' shit out of me in completely unexpected ways, I'm probably going back to the iPhone this Fall.

yep. my current phone does way more than I need so I'm not about to dump it but if I damage it or get an upgrade I'm gone.

nothing about WP8 interests me. I was personally hoping Microsoft would open the platform up so it would be more like desktop Windows but they've gone in the other direction.

yep. my current phone does way more than I need so I'm not about to dump it but if I damage it or get an upgrade I'm gone.

nothing about WP8 interests me. I was personally hoping Microsoft would open the platform up so it would be more like desktop Windows but they've gone in the other direction.

What exactly do you mean?

Shared Core with mainline windows?
Support for multi-core, more screen resolutions, NFC, SD Card
Native development
Background execution
Device Encryption [My work is partially on this ;)]

Just some of the things we've shown that bring us more in line with main Win.

dLMN8R

I used an iPhone for 2 years before getting my Windows Phone, so I had a large number of apps on it I really enjoyed. Therefore, when I got my Windows Phone, I also got an iPod Touch so that I could continue using those apps.

I love how my Windows Phone aggregates social networks, works across people, etc. but none of that is so much better IMO that it's worth getting the short shrift of every new app and game that comes out.

It's not just "Windows Phone needs <x> app and then I'll be set", because it's about future stuff too. It's not just apps and games I'm currently playing on my iPod Touch, it's whatever new apps and games that come out that I'd end up having to wait for.

Also, the one thing I use my iPod Touch for more than anything else is listening to podcasts. I love podcasts and audiobooks, listen to them all the time. Windows Phone still doesn't even have 1.5x/2x playback which I use exclusively on my iPod Touch. Now I've discovered iCatcher for iOS and the deal is sealed even further.

Then there's the apps and games that I do use for Windows Phone. NextGen Reader and Rowi are great Google Reader and Twitter apps for Windows Phone. But we're nearly a year after the release of Mango, and even these best-ever Reader and Twitter apps don't hold a candle to apps like Byline on iOS, in the state they were in two years ago. It's the fault of the platform and its reliance on Silverlight inhibiting developers from creating quality apps.

There is plenty that Windows Phone does far better than iOS, and WP8 enabling native code will hopefully go a long way toward improving the app and game situation. I'm just not sure the platform will ever hit the critical mass necessary to make developers care, so that leaves a whole lot that I personally use that iOS might always do better.

PG2G

There is plenty that Windows Phone does far better than iOS, and WP8 enabling native code will hopefully go a long way toward improving the app and game situation. I'm just not sure the platform will ever hit the critical mass necessary to make developers care, so that leaves a whole lot that I personally use that iOS might always do better.

Hopefully the easy portability from Windows 8 will make up for the lack of critical mass

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Oo, so that's what you mean. More open like Android. Yeah, developers would love it.

Piracy is a problem but locking down a system is just throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I'm sure the brains at Microsoft could come up with some way to sign marketplace packages so they can't be run on every device. Google are working on something similar.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There may not be any regulars left by the time Apollo launches. We should start packing this thread up with mothballs just in case.

I hardly post in any other threads on gaf, I'll just let my gaf gold subscription expire.

hwalker84

There may not be any regulars left by the time Apollo launches. We should start packing this thread up with mothballs just in case.

I hardly post in any other threads on gaf, I'll just let my gaf gold subscription expire.
LOL. I'll be here. At this point I can't see leaving this platform. I've never liked Android and I'm tired of iOS. If the surface tablet gets great reviews I'll sell my iPad for it.

I'm not worried about us getting future apps due to shared code between and wp8.

Doffen

Then I will create a WP8 thread for my own and fight the battle against the haters alone!

kharma45

No. You get 7.8, but not 8.

ps: I'll still post here, and who knows I could still end up with a wp8 device at some point.

I'm thinking about going WP8 if it has Pureview tech for the Nokia phones, although a Google Nexus device is a very tempting proposition to go back to.

I don't see myself as a regular, but you can definantly count me in for Apollo.

Speaking of the Mango to Apollo update debacle, I would shit my pants laughing if the HTC HD2 got Apollo.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey lastflowers, if you hate your job and want to lose it, answer me this: was Apollo delayed because of how buggy it is at this point? That's the scuttlebutt on the interwebs right now.

maeh2k

I have faith in WP8.

For most of the basic OS functionality I already like WP7 more than the competition. Some of the known features will only add to that. While it might not get Siri or Google now, which are kind of neat, but which I would hardly ever use (if at all), things like the deep integration of VoIP apps like Skype could be very useful to me.

It's too early to jump ship before seeing all the end user features.

Where does all the recent negativity regarding WP8 come from anyway?

What recent negativity? There was a newitem on Microsoft employees' canned vacations to grind on the making Apollo more stable. Other than that....?

But speaking of negativity, I don't like the start screen concept. I think it's too simple. I wonder why they couldn't or wouldn't do it W8 style. Don't shoot me for this, but I think Metroon style should have been the concept of Windows Phone 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69iH7fptbbg

Where does all the recent negativity regarding WP8 come from anyway?

There's nothing to be hyped about, because we don't know anything. So we get bored and when we get bored, we get all negative and sad and buy Google's Galaxy Nexus and secretly still love Windows Phone, because 99.9% of the Android apps are just so fucking ugly that I want to throw throw up on my fucking phone and throw it across the street and then ... wait, I think I got off the track.

derFeef

What recent negativity? There was a newitem on Microsoft employees' canned vacations to grind on the making Apollo more stable. Other than that....?

But speaking of negativity, I don't like the start screen concept. I think it's too simple. I wonder why they couldn't or wouldn't do it W8 style. Don't shoot me for this, but I think Metroon style should have been the concept of Windows Phone 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69iH7fptbbg

Not sure, but everytime I jump into this thread it's about the Nexus, unstable Apollo, late releases, not updating to 8, that Google now is great (i still don't get it) and so on.

There's nothing to be hyped about, because we don't know anything. So we get bored and when we get bored, we get all negative and sad and buy Google's Galaxy Nexus and secretly still love Windows Phone, because 99.9% of the Android apps are just so fucking ugly that I want to throw throw up on my fucking phone and throw it across the street and then ... wait, I think I got off the track.

... no no keep going I am getting hot over here.

Considering one of the guys on my team just took a week long vacation, all the negative publications seems a little silly....

But really, have you guys seen the metroon concept? Isn't that infinitely better than the currect WP8 start screen?

The new WP8 start screen looks so much better when someone with a hint of taste organizes it :). Having email, messaging shoved down into a small tile is really nice.

TTOOLL

Help me WPGAF!

Thinking about a Lumia 900... It's 1799 reais (around 800 dollars) without contract. These are the points I have thought about so far...

1. I need a decent phone since I sold my iPad and I currently own a LG P500 only.
2. I live in Brazil so phones will always be expensive here.
3. The 900 is my dream phone, the white one is the prettiest phone ever
4. It will not get WP8
5. Can I trust the first generation of WP8?
6. The Lumia is already a solid device, so not getting the WP8 is not a BIG thing, is it?
7. Wouldn't I be better off if I wait to get a second generation WP8? Early adopters tend to get f****, it happened with me with the iPad 1. It hurts...
8. There will always be a better phone ahead, I cannot wait forever.
9. Did I forget something?

So, would you buy it?

Help me WPGAF!

Thinking about a Lumia 900... It's 1799 reais (around 800 dollars) without contract. These are the points I have thought about so far...

1. I need a decent phone since I sold my iPad and I currently own a LG P500 only.
4. It will not get WP8
6. The Lumia is already a solid device, so not getting the WP8 is not a BIG thing, is it?
7. Wouldn't I be better off if I wait to get a second generation WP8? Early adopters tend to get f****, it happened with me with the iPad 1. It hurts...

So, would you buy it?

I think right now is the worst time to buy a device.

New iPhone coming out soon
Jelly Bean coming out soon
WP8 coming out soon
BB10 coming out [lol] soon.

If you can wait until christmas time for a new phone, I'd just do that. At worst, the price of the 900 might go down significantly, and you'll have given yourself extra time to save less money.

If you need a phone now, then heck yeah, get the 900.

Doffen

Help me WPGAF!

4. It will not get WP8

So, would you buy it?

5. Yes you can.
7. No, and yes. Your phone will have a longer “life” if you buy a 1. Gen WP8 device. My Omnia 7 is a 1.gen WP7 and it has lived through: NoDo, Mango, Tango and soon 7.8.

hwalker84

I think right now is the worst time to buy a device.

New iPhone coming out soon
Jelly Bean coming out soon
WP8 coming out soon
BB10 coming out [lol] soon.

If you can wait until christmas time for a new phone, I'd just do that. At worst, the price of the 900 might go down significantly, and you'll have given yourself extra time to save less money.

If you need a phone now, then heck yeah, get the 900.
What he said.

ElNino

I'll still be here. WP isn't perfect, but don't see anything on the Android/iOS front (current or in the future) that would make me want to jump ship again.

I will happily be using my Lumia 900 with WP 7.5/7.8 until next spring and then I will decide whether any of the WP8 devices warrant an upgrade. If not, I'll stick with the Lumia until something comes out that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom