• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
MobileTechWorld got some new pictures and features.

• Let’s start with the Photo’s Hub which looks essentially the same as the WP7.X version but now features the ability to rotate and crop images:
  • And finally the ability to select multiple images:
  • The Internet Explorer 10 address bar button can now set to either open the tabs menu, favorites list or stop/refresh. DataSense can be used to reduce bandwidth through a Microsoft proxy server which will compress the webpages:
  • Windows Phone 8 will also allow users to backup their sms, applications list, photos, music, videos,IE bookmarks etc:
  • The cellular monitoring feature formerly known as DataSmart has been renamed DataSense:
  • As you can see users will have the option to download maps for offline usage:
  • OneNote is now a stand alone application reminiscent of the OneNote MX application recently released on Windows 8
  • The Lock-screen and now display information from select applications the the user can choose similar to the Windows 8 lock-screen

• The Storage screen, Ease of access settings which now include the option to choose the text’s font size, screen contrast and magnifier followed by the speech settings menu:
  • Two more settings screen; Company apps and Bing / Facebook suggestions:
  • Last but not least, the Bing search screen can now be swiped left/right to reveal Top headlines, local events, currently playing movies and top videos:
http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2012/07/27/new-windows-phone-8-features-detailed/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS first party apps can save to sd. Like the camera app and the music hub.

Also, Find on Page for internet explorer is back baby!!!!!!

MobileTechWorld got some new pictures and features.

• Let’s start with the Photo’s Hub which looks essentially the same as the WP7.X version but now features the ability to rotate and crop images:
  • And finally the ability to select multiple images:
  • The Internet Explorer 10 address bar button can now set to either open the tabs menu, favorites list or stop/refresh. DataSense can be used to reduce bandwidth through a Microsoft proxy server which will compress the webpages:
  • Windows Phone 8 will also allow users to backup their sms, applications list, photos, music, videos,IE bookmarks etc:
  • The cellular monitoring feature formerly known as DataSmart has been renamed DataSense:
  • As you can see users will have the option to download maps for offline usage:
  • OneNote is now a stand alone application reminiscent of the OneNote MX application recently released on Windows 8
  • The Lock-screen and now display information from select applications the the user can choose similar to the Windows 8 lock-screen

• The Storage screen, Ease of access settings which now include the option to choose the text’s font size, screen contrast and magnifier followed by the speech settings menu:
  • Two more settings screen; Company apps and Bing / Facebook suggestions:
  • Last but not least, the Bing search screen can now be swiped left/right to reveal Top headlines, local events, currently playing movies and top videos:
http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2012/07/27/new-windows-phone-8-features-detailed/

*drools*

Now I hope that Microsoft has at the very least the sense to implement every single feature that isn't bound by hardware constraints in WP7.8. I can dream, right? Even the improved home screen customization is already a good thing for me. I find myself unable to cram "the four most used things ever" on the very top row...

*drools*

Now I hope that Microsoft has at the very least the sense to implement every single feature that isn't bound by hardware constraints in WP7.8. I can dream, right? Even the improved home screen customization is already a good thing for me. I find myself unable to cram "the four most used things ever" on the very top row...
DataSense is also coming to OS 7.

JaggedSac

*drools*

Lets not start this again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow, Nokia stock took a huge upswing, blew right past two dollars after bottoming out around $1.73 last week. What the heck happened?

Wow, Nokia stock took a huge upswing, blew right past two dollars after bottoming out around $1.73 last week. What the heck happened?

Nokia updated the ESPN app with coverage for the Olympics.

Okay, I'm kidding.

There are rumors about a new MeeGo phone with updated hardware and a 18 MP PureView camera.

thirty

Banned
yeah, nokia is up something like 16% these past 2 days. i was thinking there was an official verizon announcement but no. wall street crooks, there's some inside trading going on.

ElNino

Speaking of Nokia... for those who took advantage of the Lumia 710 promo for free Zune Pass subscriptions, they are now sending out the second batch of codes (for three months each).

Once I'm done stacking all my codes I should have my Zune/Xbox Music subscription valid until June 2017. :)

kharma45

Speaking of Nokia... for those who took advantage of the Lumia 710 promo for free Zune Pass subscriptions, they are now sending out the second batch of codes (for three months each).

Once I'm done stacking all my codes I should have my Zune/Xbox Music subscription valid until June 2017. :)

Yeah got that email today, wish I'd been greedy now and stacked but it seemed too good to be true, and it wasn't D:

I got the mails too.

c5vhzjtai6v3u7k3y.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
And here I'am paying for my Zune Pass like a sucker :lol
I love it so it's fine.

Regarding subscription services. I'm loving Audible. They just sent me a $10 coupon so I was able to get Game of Thrones for $12.

Then you'd be fucked on your iPad.

I lost my iPad 3 and my OG iPad is only good as XBMC remote (seriously, XMBC Commander is fantastic), RSS reader and occasional web browsing device. Spotify doesn't run, because I refuse to "upgrade" to iOS 5. The performance is already bad enough. It's really just for the phone and ad-free desktop experience.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I lost my iPad 3 and my OG iPad is only good as XBMC remote (seriously, XMBC Commander is fantastic), RSS reader and occasional web browsing device. Spotify doesn't run, because I refuse to "upgrade" to iOS 5. The performance is already bad enough. It's really just for the phone and ad-free desktop experience.

One does not simple lose an iPad.

PG2G

Looks like full resolution "Best Quality" photo uploads to SkyDrive over WiFi, or compressed "Good Quality" over data connection is an option now. Also looks like it'll auto upload video to SkyDrive when on WiFi also.

Lot's of boxes getting checked off.

Milchjon

Looks like full resolution "Best Quality" photo uploads to SkyDrive over WiFi, or compressed "Good Quality" over data connection is an option now. Also looks like it'll auto upload video to SkyDrive when on WiFi also.

Lot's of boxes getting checked off.

I'm scared of auto upload after those SkyDrive accounts got nixed. My friends tend to send me stupid shit over WhatsApp all day, some of it might be too risky for MS.

PG2G

I'm scared of auto upload after those SkyDrive accounts got nixed. My friends tend to send me stupid shit over WhatsApp all day, some of it might be too risky for MS.

If it is still like the current one, it only auto uploads your camera roll

JaggedSac

Since I just received a large number of Zune codes as well, I will give a 3 month Zune code to whoever has the best idea for a Windows 8 app to make.

I need something to make. I came up with the idea for an RPG breakout game with physics for WP. Created the base game with FlatRedBall and Farseer for physics. And then after playing around with it, realized breakout with physics sucks ding dong. It just makes absolutely no sense. It was neat to watch the blocks and stuff bounce around, but as a game, it was worthless. I was doing a SkyDrive music app but could not find out where people got the metadata(images, bios, etc) from, and for free so I scratched that.

And if anyone wants to help out with the app, shoot me a PM, I am much more likely to finish something if someone else is counting on me not being lazy.

Since I just received a large number of Zune codes as well, I will give a 3 month Zune code to whoever has the best idea for a Windows 8 app to make.

I need something to make. I came up with the idea for an RPG breakout game with physics for WP. Created the base game with FlatRedBall and Farseer for physics. And then after playing around with it, realized breakout with physics sucks ding dong. It just makes absolutely no sense. It was neat to watch the blocks and stuff bounce around, but as a game, it was worthless. I was doing a SkyDrive music app but could not find out where people got the metadata(images, bios, etc) from, and for free so I scratched that.

And if anyone wants to help out with the app, shoot me a PM, I am much more likely to finish something if someone else is counting on me not being lazy.

Oooh please pick me, I actually pay for Zune pass so it's like free money to me. My app idea, Clown based fps. Complete with pies, water balloons, flower squirt to the face, etc..

Edit: If anyone wants to throw one my way I'd greatly appreciate it.

You have the temperament of a saint. I would have been depressed for weeks.

Well, I called them, they didn't have it (duh). Find my iOS thingy didn't work either. What else was I supposed to do? There was just no point in getting mad or sad or depressed. I'm just glad that I didn't go all in and just got the 32 GB WiFi model and not the 64 GB WiFi + 3G. Now I'm waiting for Apollo next March, when the new New iPad comes out. I still have those 70 bucks from Apple for cancelling my pre-order. So great. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

There is a simple app on ipad you can copy that uses the camera in the back to display an image on the front as a kind of dock, so it looks like the ipad is blending in to the background. Or you can use the front-facing camera and call the app "mirror", and add a small clock on the bottom, make it a sort of dock mode.

I was going to post some more original ideas and just realized that if they ever took off, all I'd get is 3 months of Zune so I'll leave it at that.

My feeling is the stockholder finally got over the lost and realize that this it will take time for Nokia to turn the sinking boat around. Their 2nd quarter show lost but the cash flow has improve and they no longer bleeding (as much). Investors like when company is not bleeding cash by cutting expense and that's what Nokia has been doing. The Lumia sale is not bad while US sale is weak at 600k (or even at 400k) sold, it is still 400k they would not have to begin with since their US marketshare of smartphone was essentially 0%. If they have gone with Android where would they get the cash for marketing that being moneyhatted by Microsoft. I doubt at this point Google care enough to spend million on Nokia, Android is already a market leader.

If they can show growth and less bleeding of cash next quarter they might make it out of ICU.

Magni

So it's confirmed that WP8 will have native screenshot function by pressing the start+camera buttons (based on the SDK):
wmpoweruser.com/confirmed-wp8-does-have-a-native-screen-shot-feature/

I wish they'd done it the way someone (on WPCentral I think it was?) suggested: hold the Back button to get to the MT screen and have a camera icon under each screen, much easier to do one-handed and it feels more WP-like. Still good news though, it only took them two years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom