• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
I wish they'd done it the way someone (on WPCentral I think it was?) suggested: hold the Back button to get to the MT screen and have a camera icon under each screen, much easier to do one-handed and it feels more WP-like. Still good news though, it only took them two years!
while they're at at, how about an "x" icon to close the damn app? I hate having to go into the tombstoned app just to back out.

I lost my iPad 3 and my OG iPad is only good as XBMC remote (seriously, XMBC Commander is fantastic), RSS reader and occasional web browsing device. Spotify doesn't run, because I refuse to "upgrade" to iOS 5. The performance is already bad enough. It's really just for the phone and ad-free desktop experience.

Yeah, my first gen iPad run like ass. Safari constantly closing when it encounter something it doesn't like. Download the chrome browser and it's not native (since Apple doesn't allow it) and it shit also.

So Brot, when are you planning to "forget" your new Android phone in the cab. :>

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When Nokia releases a pureview phone, I'm smashing my Focus S against a wall.

Or sell it on eBay. Either way, it'll be gone.

Sordid

Is there any chance they'd throw us WP7 users a bone and offer a trade in program to upgrade to WP8? I'm guessing not but a man can dream.

PG2G

Is there any chance they'd throw us WP7 users a bone and offer a trade in program to upgrade to WP8? I'm guessing not but a man can dream.

Wouldn't be entirely surprises to see them try and work something out with the carriers. I've seen Nokia interviews that suggested they were looking into something. If it happens, I'd guess itd just be for Lumia 900 folks though

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Xbox music settings and stuff. Cloud service and link to xbox to get info from music playing on xbox on phone.

http://wmpoweruser.com/wp8-leak-points-to-separate-xbox-music-cloud-storage-service/

ok, now i am excite!

Really? I'm being seriously to. Really?

More and more I'm in the Van camp. Nokia really needs to pimp out pure view as a differentiator.

I really like everything that has leaked about WP8 so far. It's checking all the right boxes. That being said it's basically checking all the boxes it SHOULD check. It's just getting back up to par with the competition.

Cloud music sounds great, but Google, Amazon, and Apple have already been doing this for a long while now. It's nice, but it's just getting the platform back to par with everyone else.

Pure View more and more seems like the key differentiator. It's not just hitting a check box. It's that big killer feature that everyone has yet to see regardless of their platform of choice. I just hope Nokia and MS can really capitalize on it soon enough, and they have a good enough marketing push to get this info out to the public.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All things being equal, I'd take a Windows Phone over another OS. But I definitely think most people wouldn't, if only because they're unfamiliar with it. I'm thinking Xbox Live and Office can be key differentiators, but Office needs to be better marketed and Xbox Live on the phone needs a TON of work, its getting murdered in both quality and quantity by the other two platforms. Other than that, Nokia offers the best shot at a breakout product for the platform.

All things being equal, I'd take a Windows Phone over another OS. But I definitely think most people wouldn't, if only because they're unfamiliar with it. I'm thinking Xbox Live and Office can be key differentiators, but Office needs to be better marketed and Xbox Live on the phone needs a TON of work, its getting murdered in both quality and quantity by the other two platforms. Other than that, Nokia offers the best shot at a breakout product for the platform.

I highly doubt MS office is of any importance to the non-business consumer. Android has free alternatives, not sure about iOS. I don't think Office is a system seller. With MS's recent emphasis on SmartGlass working with any touch device (iOS, Android, WP), Xbox companionship is also less of a system seller.

More and more I'm in the Van camp. Nokia really needs to pimp out pure view as a differentiator.

I really like everything that has leaked about WP8 so far. It's checking all the right boxes. That being said it's basically checking all the boxes it SHOULD check. It's just getting back up to par with the competition.

Cloud music sounds great, but Google, Amazon, and Apple have already been doing this for a long while now. It's nice, but it's just getting the platform back to par with everyone else.

Pure View more and more seems like the key differentiator. It's not just hitting a check box. It's that big killer feature that everyone has yet to see regardless of their platform of choice. I just hope Nokia and MS can really capitalize on it soon enough, and they have a good enough marketing push to get this info out to the public.

yea im serious. I feel like we know all the major things are coming. Its the little things that are getting me excited.

JaggedSac

Pure View more and more seems like the key differentiator. It's not just hitting a check box.

Do those 3 music services haves streaming subscription options? Looks like Xbox Music with have a combination of every music service out there. Well, except for cross platform capabilities, lol. But maybe that will be there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No, but people don't care persay as long as they have access to something. Sure iTunes or Google Music doesn't have a Zune pass, but people figure they have access to rdio or spotify so it's not a big deal.

I think the metro interface should be enough, but I'm not sold the world agrees. MS needs that killer feature that people would care about that not just evolutionary but revolutionary. It has to be something people haven't seen before.

No, but people don't care persay as long as they have access to something. Sure iTunes or Google Music doesn't have a Zune pass, but people figure they have access to rdio or spotify so it's not a big deal.

I think the metro interface should be enough, but I'm not sold the world agrees. MS needs that killer feature that people would care about that not just evolutionary but revolutionary. It has to be something people haven't seen before.

yea, very true. I just hope its nothing gimmicky that people forget about 6 months later. No care or uses siri enough to call it a "feature". Pure View will do it for Nokia, but MS will still have to have something up its sleeve. It would be cool if MS implements pure view as a requirement. That would almost secure MS at the top of the mobile market.

For me the advantage to Windows Phone is the UI and the Hub like approach to areas of the OS. Going to Bing to be able to search, find local stuff and directions, scan QR and bar codes, identify audio, and translate text to another language all from one "app" or "hub" is a great feature. A similar thing like the messaging integrating Facebook chat, other chat, and SMS into a single conversation are huge features to me.

NeOak

For me the advantage to Windows Phone is the UI and the Hub like approach to areas of the OS. Going to Bing to be able to search, find local stuff and directions, scan QR and bar codes, identify audio, and translate text to another language all from one "app" or "hub" is a great feature. A similar thing like the messaging integrating Facebook chat, other chat, and SMS into a single conversation are huge features to me.

Indeed, that is the huge appeal for me. A lot of stuff is in the OS and if I need something more I can use an app for that.

Now I notice that Facebook has push notifications.

Yeah, this is what I miss after switching to Android. The Bing app is really great.

maeh2k

Yeah, and they are continuing right along that path with their deep integration of VoIP and the new camera lenses, which makes for a really nice, cohesive experience.

I also like their take on voice input with fixed syntax and apps being able to use it. Not sure it's for the better and probably won't be adopted by the users as much as Siri (and even that barely gets used), but I like that MS is doing it's own thing and does something different than the competition.

Ronabo

Anyone know of a bluetooth keyboard that works with the Nokia Lumia 900?

My girlfriend has tried 2 of them that haven't worked that claimed they would when she bought them.

kharma45

Europe is used to paying for phones in full anyway... when you worry about being locked in for 2-3 years, then it's another issue...

Most high-end phones are contract over here, at least in the UK. You'll find very few people who buy a high-end phone outright, most are on 18-24 month contracts.

I also fail to see how buying phones outright would make a difference anyway, the Lumia line has done well here because of a lot of advertising.

sHtOo.png

Described as an "iconic smartphone," Samsung's Odyssey device will feature a 4.65-inch Super AMOLED display with HD resolution and an 8-megapixel rear camera. Samsung also marks the Odyssey as an NFC device, suggesting it will support Microsoft's upcoming Wallet Hub and Tap + Send features in Windows Phone 8. The Marco will include a 4-inch S-AMOLED display with WVGA resolution and a 5-megapixel rear camera. Both handsets will be LTE-capable and, if the documents are up-to-date, appear to be launching in Q4 2012 — matching the rumored Windows Phone 8 release date.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/30/3201323/samsung-odyssey-marco-windows-phone-8-devices
Same SoC that is in the US One X and the US LTE GS3, which isn't bad, but the MSM8960T/S4 Pro would've been nicer, because it got a beefier GPU.

Shame about the shitty pentile display in the Odyssey.

maeh2k

Someone discovered some references to some kind of chat rooms in the leaked SDK: http://www.liveside.net/2012/07/30/digging-deeper-into-the-wp8-sdk-chat-rooms-xbox-music-collections/

“Gather your friends and family together. Invite them to a private Room where you can share a calendar, photos, group chat and notes. Or add them to a Group to see social updates from just those folks and text them all at once. Tap the plus sign to get started.”

Looks like WP8 is continuing to do social better than the competition.

Milchjon

The effect of the last update on my Lumia's battery is perplexing. With heavy use, it's still not perfect, but with moderate use, the battery life has easily doubled.

Don't know if this has already been answered but does anyone know how to disable the Zune player from pausing whenever the earphones are plugged/un-unplugged? I ask because whenever I listen to a podcast on my HTC HD7, sometimes the wires in the earphone short out when I move about which causes the Zune player to pause the podcast. This is annoying...

Don't know if this has already been answered but does anyone know how to disable the Zune player from pausing whenever the earphones are plugged/un-unplugged? I ask because whenever I listen to a podcast on my HTC HD7, sometimes the wires in the earphone short out when I move about which causes the Zune player to pause the podcast. This is annoying...

get earphones that aren't busted?

NeOak

You'll have to replace the headphones.

zedge

pentile isn't so bad considering samsung has yet to produce a samoled+ screen that was higher than WVGA

Yea its not that bad at all. The GS3 screen is amazing looking, even better than the GNex so they must be improving it. (HD Super Amoled) Keeping my eye on the Odyssey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom