• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Fuck this damn phone.

First it would never update to Mango until I broke down, formatted the phone, and restored. This was 6-7 months after Mango was released.

Now I'm in court for jury duty. Turned off my phone as ordered, and turned it back on now for recess.

It had a long boot up which worried me and tried to set up as a new phone. Wtf?!
Restarted a few more times, nothing changes.
Lost all my apps, recent pics and videos, etc again.
I can't deal with this, I need something that will backup and restore.
Damn I needed the picture I took yesterday!
Fuck these games too. Not replaying a thing.

Sorry. Just really upset at losing everything for no reason.

Fuck this damn phone.

First it would never update to Mango until I broke down, formatted the phone, and restored. This was 6-7 months after Mango was released.

Now I'm in court for jury duty. Turned off my phone as ordered, and turned it back on now for recess.

It had a long boot up which worried me and tried to set up as a new phone. Wtf?!

That is odd. What phone are you using? It sounded like instead of turning off the phone, it did a full reset.

Fuck this damn phone.

The same thing happened to me once. I just restarted my phone as soon as I noticed everything was missing, then everything came back as normal. Strange.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have a 4.65" sAMOLED HD screen and it's bad. Not Samsung Focus/Galaxy S bad, but still bad.

Yeah my friend's GS3 is better than my focus, but people are kidding themselves if they don't think it's an issue or "that bad."

PS: Sorry about your phone dude. Mine just broked itself about a month ago, and it definitely is a souring tech experience. Hope you can get your phone to get you through till the Fall!

MCD

Words can not describe how dumb that 'feature' is.

You are against wifi always on?

Look, my old mom doesn't need or understand what a data plan is so wifi is the easiest and best solution for her.

It turning off every time you press that damn lock button is the dumbest thing ever.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Two questions:

1) What's the best GPS app on the marketplace? I heard Navigon is good.
2) If I get another Windows Phone, my apps transfer over right? If yes, how?

Magni

Look, my old mom doesn't need or understand what a data plan is so wifi is the easiest and best solution for her.

It turning off every time you press that damn lock button is the dumbest thing ever.

This. I've been without data for four weeks (stopping that streak tonight :D), it kills me that I can't get any emails or Kik messages or whatever as soon as my phone's screen turns off. At least let apps that require data every 30min or every hour to to download whatever data they need enable wifi for a few seconds to accomplish those actions.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I didn't get it yet. So no other good alternatives?

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand why that isn't an option.

hwalker84

Fuck this damn phone.

One time when I had a Titan 1 my phone just reset itself and when it rebooted was very close to factory default. All my tiles reset. The default bookmarks where back. All my facebook links where gone. Apps where still their though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just ordered a non-WP7 phone. I'll keep this device if I ever get the urge to play any of the Live games I used to have.
At least I'll finally have a TV guide app to use.
That is odd. What phone are you using? It sounded like instead of turning off the phone, it did a full reset.
HTC Surround on AT&T which I had bought at launch.
Yeah, it completely reset. I just held down power, slid down to power off, and it said goodbye.
Didn't realize it meant forever. :(

The same thing happened to me once. I just restarted my phone as soon as I noticed everything was missing, then everything came back as normal. Strange.
that's the first I did as well but it never came back.

One time when I had a Titan 1 my phone just reset itself and when it rebooted was very close to factory default. All my tiles reset. The default bookmarks where back. All my facebook links where gone. Apps where still their though.
So odd, but that is better than my situation at least.

Edit: you know what..... It did save one thing.
My twitter account info. Wtf?

ElNino

WiFi will reconnect periodically to check email/calendar/etc even if the screen locked. It just doesn't stay connected all the time.

CaptainABAB

Dropped my phone today and the screen landed on a rock. The screen is busted and nothing is displayed except for a few green lines. I was able to download my latest pictures using Zune.

I am eligible for an upgrade through AT&T but I was holding out for WP8. I do have insurance, so I may just use that.

Update: getting a Focus Flash overnighted through insurance.

Tomcat

has anyone changed his id to the new outlook one?
do we have to do a factory reset in order to make our phones work with the new mail?

PG2G

has anyone changed his id to the new outlook one?
do we have to do a factory reset in order to make our phones work with the new mail?

You can just add a new hotmail email. If you changed your actual Microsoft Account then that would normally require a factory reset.

"
A. Rename your account. Choosing this approach causes your sign in name to change from your existing @hotmail.com address to your new @outlook.com address. Your existing address becomes an alias of your new account so that mail delivery is uninterrupted. The primary disadvantage of this approach is that Windows Phone users will need to reset their phone to factory settings and then go through the Windows Phone setup experience with their new address. The primary advantages of this approach are a) from this point forward you will sign in with your new account and b) mobile devices will send from your @outlook.com address.

B. Create an @outlook.com alias on your account. An alias is a secondary email address associated with an account. Mail sent to that address arrives in the inbox of the primary account. When using the @outlook.com web interface to send a mail, you can choose which address (the primary address of the account or an alias) to send the mail from. The primary disadvantage of this choice is that most mail clients don’t support aliases. This includes mobile phones (Windows Phone, iOS, Android) and desktop mail clients. The Hotmail/Outlook team may build features in the future to help with these scenarios.
"

Commodore

So good to see Nokia's stock gaining another 9% today. Even Elop bought another 275,000 stocks. Really been swooning for a while now with that they've been doing as a company lately. Glad they seem to be clawing their way back.

thirty

Banned
btw, photography site dpreview.com reviewed the Pureview and awarded it with its Gold status. pretty impressive as they don't review camera phones, this was a camera review.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll wait until I buy an Apollo phone before I switch over to the @outlook.com account, since I'll lose all my data at that point anyway.

maeh2k

I'll wait until I buy an Apollo phone before I switch over to the @outlook.com account, since I'll lose all my data at that point anyway.

I just made an @outlook alias. Besides securing the e-mail address I'm not entirely sold on using @outlook everywhere. Outlook kind of implies e-mail. It would be weird to log into Xbox, Windows 8, Windows Phone with @outlook.com. For now I'll keep @live.com.

kharma45

I just made an @outlook alias. Besides securing the e-mail address I'm not entirely sold on using @outlook everywhere. Outlook kind of implies e-mail. It would be weird to log into Xbox, Windows 8, Windows Phone with @outlook.com. For now I'll keep @live.com.

I bagged one too with my name, not sure I want to transfer over my Hotmail one yet, might just stick with Hotmail for it rather than converting it for the mean time.

hu, i changed my microsoft ID to outlook and everything works fine on my phone so far.

Hmm, did you choose the "rename your email address" option at the bottom?
Changeyouremailaddress.png

I'd like to change my @live to @outlook, but that @live is tied to just about everything MS allows you do to so including my phone, xbox, Win 8 login, and all the purchases that go along with that. I don't want to fuck that up somehow.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What amazon is doing with their cloud player makes no sense. Why would I pay $25/yr to access my uploaded music when google is doing it for free? I hope MS' solution is better thought out than that, but I fear they'll try to pull a dumb stunt like amazon.

PG2G

What amazon is doing with their cloud player makes no sense. Why would I pay $25/yr to access my uploaded music when google is doing it for free? I hope MS' solution is better thought out than that, but I fear they'll try to pull a dumb stunt like amazon.

It is the same as iTunes Match, isn't it? It scans your hard drive and gives you cloud access to all of the songs that you have. Seems worth $25 a year to me, especially if half of the stuff on your hard drive wasn't obtained through normal means :p

thirty

Banned
nokia up again a midst a buyout by levono.

Nokia’s shares surged more than 17% on Wednesday morning as there were rumors that Lenovo may be buying Nokia. The rumor was that Lenovo which is also a PC and Smartphone OEM might be interested in Nokia as they are trading near their all time low stock price. But Gianfranco Lanci, who runs Lenovo’s operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa told Reuters that “This must be a joke,”, “There’s nothing ongoing.”. Even though the buyout rumors were quashed for now, these kind of things keep Nokia’s stock well alive.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is the same as iTunes Match, isn't it? It scans your hard drive and gives you cloud access to all of the songs that you have. Seems worth $25 a year to me, especially if half of the stuff on your hard drive wasn't obtained through normal means :p

I already went through the step of manually uploading my collection to google, and I don't see the point of paying $25/yr to access my music when google lets me do it for free.

Even if I had a large and/or pirated music collection, I can't see me paying past the initial $25 to upgrade and match my songs.

Klocker

A little help please...

I all of a sudden do not see any emails in my main Phone account (Live).

My Calendar and all other features and other live email accounts still are fine but my live account linked to my phone is opening and syncing (according to display) but all of the emails are GONE empty folders.

Yet on PC my live emails are al fine business as usual.

I did NOT update to an Outlook email address. Only thing I did dfferently lately was install preview of Outlok 2013 but that was two weeks ago (not working right) so I have not been using it but I did open it last night and an hour later my phone stopped displaying email from the main account.

thx

Engadget reviewed Nokia Drive:

Wrap-up:

If you're an avid traveler, and you haven't given Windows Phone a chance, you should. Nokia Drive is honestly reason enough to consider switching if you use your phone for navigating as much as you do texting or calling, and I've reason to believe that it'll only get better with age. After all, the company now shares hallways with a few folks from Bing Maps -- folks who have designed some pretty impressive travel tools themselves. The only legitimate gripe I had with Drive after 1,900 miles was this: when you're searching for something generic -- 'Starbucks in Bend, Oregon' for example -- it'll often find four or five like-named destinations. But at a glance, there's no street address listed in the results, so you have no idea which Starbucks you're about to head to. A minor niggle that we hope is corrected in future updates.

All in all, however, I can confidently say that Nokia Drive is the best purely offline navigational tool on the market, on any mobile platform. If you count yourself a Lumia owner already, there's no reason to not take advantage of the power within -- it's a free download, after all. For those considering a switch, the timing couldn't be weirder. A Lumia 900 is still a bargain, even at $99 on a 2-year AT&T contract, but Microsoft has already confirmed that it'll never (ever!) get Windows Phone 8. If you're about to embark on a rural road trip this summer, having a Lumia with Nokia Drive would surely be of assistance, but the pragmatist in me says it's wiser to hold out for the impending rush of Windows Phone 8 devices this holiday season. After all, who wouldn't want to make that Christmas trip to grandma's house using a WP8-powered offline navigational tool?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/nokia-drive-offline-navigation-review-taking-the-lumia-900-for/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom