• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reset my phone today, so I could connect it with my new outlook.com ID. However, I cannot find the "Hide facebook contacts without phone number" option anymore. Where is it, again?

PG2G

I reset my phone today, so I could connect it with my new outlook.com ID. However, I cannot find the "Hide facebook contacts without phone number" option anymore. Where is it, again?

Filter my contacts -> The source of contacts you want to show (Windows Live for me)

PG2G

So you have contacts that exist only in Facebook, but not in Windows Live/Google?

I think what you're looking for disappeared when we got Mango. I'd suggest creating a real contact for the people and linking it. Otherwise you'll lose their phone number if they ever change their sharing options or remove their phone number from Facebook.

So you have contacts that exist only in Facebook, but not in Windows Live/Google?

I think what you're looking for disappeared when we got Mango. I'd suggest creating a real contact for the people and linking it. Otherwise you'll lose their phone number if they ever change their sharing options or remove their phone number from Facebook.

Am I crazy?

A little switch that said "Only show facebook contacts with phone number" or something. For these people, I obviously dont care that much, but I'd still like to have some facebook contacts in there.

I am really sure, it was there

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Windows Phone things I miss after switching to Android #2815
  • Battery saver
  • People Hub/whole account management

People Hub is cool in THEORY.

Problem is it's treated as a 3rd party program so a ton of stuff gets filtered out because of privacy/security settings. I wish MS would somehow fix this in WP8. Plus a lot of the social features require you to use an app to do certain things.

I don't know how MS gets around this all other than dealing with the likes of say Twitter and Facebook directly.

Problem is it's treated as a 3rd party program so a ton of stuff gets filtered out because of privacy/security settings. I wish MS would somehow fix this in WP8. Plus a lot of the social features require you to use an app to do certain things.

I don't know how MS gets around this all other than dealing with the likes of say Twitter and Facebook directly.

I really just used it to fill my contacts with pictures and direct facebook chat.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

This guy is right, that option went away with Mango. Now, you have to have them in Live or Google, then just link them with their FB account, and then you uncheck "facebook" from the People hub.

MCD

I'm scared to update to outlook. Everything is tied to my hotmail. Mostly worried about my Xbox gamertag.

Everything went smooth for me except for reseting my Windows Phone (not a big deal for me) and my messenger contacts not showing up for a whole day.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Everything went smooth for me except for reseting my Windows Phone (not a big deal for me) and my messenger contacts not showing up for a whole day.

Thanks. I think I might do it since it wasn't that long ago I had to do factory start.

PG2G

I thought this had been taken care of months ago? Though I have run into it in the Windows 8 People hub, I haven't noticed it on Windows Phone in a looong time. I remember threads at WPCentral about it

Blackhead

Redarse
Review: Nokia 808 PureView
dpreview said:
goldaward.png

Nokia 808 Review: Damian Dinning of Nokia Responds

dpreview said:
We were in touch with several Nokia representatives throughout the process of producing our recent review of the Nokia 808 PureView. Following its publication, Damian Dinning - Lead Program Manager of Imaging Experience at Nokia wrote to us responding to some of the issues that we raised and explaining why those decisions were made in the phone's development.

August 1st, 2012

Dear dpreview.com

Great to see the 808 PureView receiving your Gold Award – thank you. Our team are both delighted and extremely proud of their collective achievement.

I thought I’d just take some time out to share some insights/background behind some of the decisions/trade-offs we made given some of the excellent points you noted in the review...

Thanks again, and best regards

Damian Dinning, Lead Program Manager, Imaging Experience. Nokia

Fjolle

I thought this had been taken care of months ago? Though I have run into it in the Windows 8 People hub, I haven't noticed it on Windows Phone in a looong time. I remember threads at WPCentral about it

Yea. The facebook thing should have been taken care of. I didn't have any problems before the fix (I doubt that any of my friends knows what that setting does), so I can't tell if it is broken again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its going to be very, very difficult passing on the updated 900 and waiting until the spring for a pureview phone. Yet that's the likely scenario for me. I could probably sell some stuff and buy a 910 off contract, but with new win8 laptop/tablet hybrids coming out, its going to be a costly fall for tech enthusiasts. :(

TTOOLL

what are the chances of Nokia not releasing a Lumia Pureview?

I'm impressed with their camera tech and as I decided to wait till December I would love to have a WP+Pureview option.

L800 design + L900 size + Pureview would be the best phone ever, right? If Nokia is dumb enough not to do it they can shut their doors.

thirty

Banned
nokia has already went on record that wp8 pureviews were coming much much sooner than later so yeah i expect them to announce something Sept 5th.

PG2G

http://www.neowin.net/news/intervie...ore?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Kerris believes that Nokia will innovate its way out of its current situation and that change will continue this Fall with new products. And in the biggest sign of encouragement, Kerris states that this Spring "people will be climbing over themselves" to get at the new Nokia products.

http://wmpoweruser.com/bad-newsno-41-megapixel-pureview-lumias-until-mid-2013/

We have now however heard from reliable sources not to expect to see Nokia Windows Phone handsets sporting the technology until at least mid-2013.

We'll just have to see I guess. Just rumors and assumptions

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I like Instagram, but I stil think the idea of using a ~40MP camera only to slap some filters on the pics is pretty funny.

I'm off this mindset as well, but don't say it to loud. All the hipsters will come running to eat you for dissing on their instagram.

Speaking of hipsters, a writer of The Verge wrote something and thought it was important enough to share it with the rest of the world (I refuse to call it an article or editorial). He's saying that he wants a 808 PureView because it's not a phone everyone has ("omg, so special") and because the camera is awesome.

Why am I posting this? Because he makes a good point regarding the PureView Windows Phones.

There’s little chance you’ll see the 41-megapixel PureView in even a reasonably-thin phone anytime soon: the sensor is around 10mm thick without a lens in front of it. It’s not clear how Nokia intends to shrink its processes down without degrading image quality. The megapixel count is unimportant, but a smaller sensor would capture less light, which invariably results in worse photos. Because of that, and bearing Nokia’s dire financial straits in mind, I find it hard to believe that another phone camera will come even remotely close to matching the 808 PureView. It sets the benchmark for others to aspire to, however, and that’s why it’s so important. That’s also why I have to get it in its raw initial form.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/3177157/this-is-my-next-nokia-808-pureview

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Call me crazy, but I'm willing to give up pleasing aesthetics for pureview tech. The screen definitely has to be bigger than on the 808, and the tech side has to meet baseline specs of dual core, 720p screen, 1gb ram, etc.

Edit: sd card slot is a MUST.

Milchjon

Call me crazy, but I'm willing to give up pleasing aesthetics for pureview tech. The screen definitely has to be bigger than on the 808, and the tech side has to meet baseline specs of dual core, 720p screen, 1gb ram, etc.

I actually think the best way is to not try to hide it. Don't make it ugly, but make it an ostentatious feature. Might be less ugly than on the 808 that way, and it should certainly be less bad than those renders of a WP8 Pureview.

thirty

Banned
but when asked directly about pureview he said this
Kerris was quick to point out that Nokia has previously said that the PureView technology would be coming to Lumia devices and he iterated that it would happen "very soon".
very soon i assume as this year.

Tomcat

the 808 is not a big phone. yeah there is the camera hump but you dont care because your hand rests easily at the bottom of it.
its a bit heavy but not a lot if you compare to the lumia 900 for example (9gr difference if i am not mistaken). overall the design is great for a phone with such a massive sensor. You have to touch it in order to understand this. The pics dont do justice to this phone.

Wifi Sharing came with the Tango Update. I was under the impression that the Trophy didn't have hardware capable for it.

Now I can brag about it to my pops. This is perfect for my trips to the cabin in colorado.

derFeef

So yesterday my Lumia crashed after I hung up a call. I mean completely, froze, I could not get it to work. It somehow suddenly fixed itself magically and now my connection problems (I blamed T-Mobile or Tango for it) are completely gone and the battery life seems better. I mean really better, noticable. So weird, what might that have been?

Not to jinx it, hopefully it stays hat way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom