• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

I'm just flipping phones from here on out.

Oct/Nov WP8 Hotness = Sell Lumia 900
Spring Hotness = Sell Oct/Nov Hotness
Oct/Nov 2013 Hotness = Sell Spring Hotness

I just can't wait to get my damn hangs on WP8.

Sordid

Nokia have released a data/sms/call counter app. It's still in beta but it seems to work well so far, click here on your phone or scan this to give it a go:
jIUrTskzKTaGh.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Waiting until March for Apollo and pureview is gonna suck. But buying a non-pureview phone in November and then having the real deal release 4 months later would suck more.

hwalker84

Nokia have released a data/sms/call counter app. It's still in beta but it seems to work well so far, click here on your phone or scan this to give it a go:
jIUrTskzKTaGh.jpg

"Sorry but this app won't work with this version of Windows Phone. The Good news is you can download an update from Zune."

Damn them.

Frost_Ace

This is weird I renamed my live account to outlook and resetted the phone, I logged in and everything but I can't access to my mail :/

joshschw

jIUrTskzKTaGh.jpg

Only the text message counter works on my Lumia710, and sometimes the minutes seem to add up, but it certainly missed some in the total, even though, it registered it fine cause it registered it as longest call just didn't add it to total. data doesn't work at all so far.

Will have to give it a pass cause I have a custom rom though...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The metro name is dead, that sucks. :(

Apparently there is a trademark dispute with a German company. Its just New User Interface now. That's old clunky MS naming all over again.

krae_man

Only the text message counter works on my Lumia710, and sometimes the minutes seem to add up, but it certainly missed some in the total, even though, it registered it fine cause it registered it as longest call just didn't add it to total. data doesn't work at all so far.

Will have to give it a pass cause I have a custom rom though...

It works on my 710. Well so far I only just downloaded it and opened up Mobile Gaf and the counter went to 0.1mb.

Milchjon

Apparently there is a trademark dispute with a German company. Its just New User Interface now. That's old clunky MS naming all over again.

That's idiotic. Metro is a huge corporation behind supermarkets and electronics retailers, with almost no consumer facing activities.
How can this become a problem?

That's idiotic. Metro is a huge corporation behind supermarkets and electronics retailers, with almost no consumer facing activities.
How can this become a problem?

Metro AG is a diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group based in Düsseldorf, Germany. It has the largest market share in its home market, and is one of the most globalised retail and wholesale corporations. It is the fifth-largest retailer in the world measured by revenues (after Wal-Mart, Carrefour, Tesco, and Kroger).[

Yeah, I can see how Microsoft wouldn't want to fuck with them.

Miust be name by the same guy that name Xbox "New Xbox Experience".

According to wiki, Metro AG is a cash & carry outlet ... not sure how someone would get that confuse with a user interface though I can see confusion when everyone naming their apps Metro something something.

edit: damm beaten.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Waiting until March for Apollo and pureview is gonna suck. But buying a non-pureview phone in November and then having the real deal release 4 months later would suck more.

Sounds like the same thing as people wanting a 900. Having to wait for Fall for WP8 is going to suck, but getting the 900, and having WP8 hit 4 months later would suck even more.

I feel ya though. Getting a new phone when you know such a massive feature is right around the corner that's hardware based is hard to do. God waiting till March is like an eternity though.

TTOOLL

If we keep looking ahead it will impossible to buy anything. There will always be something better coming in the next 4 months. Of course we have a clear path till December, next year though...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I changed over to outlook.com for my account. Is there anything else I have to do on my Xbox? With the phone I just have to do the factory reset correct?

Edit: I'm all good. Just like MS it is good to start streamlining accounts. I never like my hotmail account name.

Sounds like the same thing as people wanting a 900. Having to wait for Fall for WP8 is going to suck, but getting the 900, and having WP8 hit 4 months later would suck even more.

I feel ya though. Getting a new phone when you know such a massive feature is right around the corner that's hardware based is hard to do. God waiting till March is like an eternity though.

Well, I've heard rumours that the first WP PureView phones will use 12 MP sensor (found in N8) instead of the 41 MP one found in 808. If that is true, the camera will still be pretty good, but not as impressive as the "real" PureView.

Miust be name by the same guy that name Xbox "New Xbox Experience".

According to wiki, Metro AG is a cash & carry outlet ... not sure how someone would get that confuse with a user interface though I can see confusion when everyone naming their apps Metro something something.

edit: damm beaten.

This here is the problem. Metro AG owns:

Media Markt is a German chain of stores selling consumer electronics with numerous branches throughout Europe. It is Europe's largest retailer of consumer electronics, and the second largest in the world after American retailer Best Buy.
Saturn is a German chain of electronics stores, now found in several European countries. Saturn sells household appliances, home entertainment, and media such as CDs and DVDs. ...

With around 128 stores Saturn is one of the big players in German electronics retail business. It also has 13 stores in Austria, 15 in Poland, 4 in Hungary, 10 in Spain, 16 in Italy, 36 in France, 6 in Belgium, 2 in Luxembourg, 2 in Russia, 11 in the Netherlands, 5 in Greece and 3 in Turkey.

"Don't fuck with Metro AG, if you want to sell your PCs in Europe" seems to be appropriate.

Fjolle

I believe Microsoft will hold an event where the new devices are announced + an in-depth preview of the new OS.

Nokia will reveal their phones at Nokia world.

I guess that MS will have revealed how awesome the OS is by then.

I guess that it also makes sense that every other manufacturer will be allowed to reveal their devices, so Nokia can say "Look at how awesome our phones are compared to that pos".

Question, I thought I read here that when the phone is in stand-by and WiFi is off, it turns itself on after an X amount of time to pull in emais and messages, then goes off again. Is that true?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
sd card support had only been confirmed for music, pictures, and video based on the SDK. Well, I don't think it came up in this thread before, but I just noticed that Joe b said in the WP summit that you'd be able to store offline maps in the sd card, at least for the built in Nokia maps. I hope they extend the functionality of what you can store in the sd as much as possible.

Milchjon

sd card support had only been confirmed for music, pictures, and video based on the SDK. Well, I don't think it came up in this thread before, but I just noticed that Joe b said in the WP summit that you'd be able to store offline maps in the sd card, at least for the built in Nokia maps. I hope they extend the functionality of what you can store in the sd as much as possible.

Photos and Video are the primary concern for me. A PureView phone with built in memory only would be useless, so that's a good thing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The problem I have is that Joe said in the same presentation that the sd card would allow oem's to introduce devices with limited internal memory. Think 8gb or less. Even if you are storing media on the sd, having only 8gb for apps and app data would suck.

maeh2k

The problem I have is that Joe said in the same presentation that the sd card would allow oem's to introduce devices with limited internal memory. Think 8gb or less. Even if you are storing media on the sd, having only 8gb for apps and app data would suck.

For people who need more there's always the option to just get a phone with more memory.

For most people 8 GB with extendable storage is more than enough. I am currently using just a bit over 5 GB on my phone and that's with 2500 photos. You can store a lot of apps with 5 GB.

PG2G

They need to do that to compete with Android on the low end. I don't think any of the high end phones will come as 8 or less gigs.

gcubed

For people who need more there's always the option to just get a phone with more memory.

For most people 8 GB with extendable storage is more than enough. I am currently using just a bit over 5 GB on my phone and that's with 2500 photos. You can store a lot of apps with 5 GB.

i dont really think 8gb of app only storage is a big deal as long as the SD card is integrated properly into the system.

ElNino

Question, I thought I read here that when the phone is in stand-by and WiFi is off, it turns itself on after an X amount of time to pull in emais and messages, then goes off again. Is that true?
If by "WiFi is off", you mean that it is on but not connected while in stand by, then yes it should peridocally connect and check your account(s).

frontieruk

Photos and Video are the primary concern for me. A PureView phone with built in memory only would be useless, so that's a good thing.

Why? Even the 41mp actually only creates 3/5/8 mp creates 1-3 mb files as pureview unless you're going to just ignore the advantages pureview offers where upon a point and click would serve better.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Why? Even the 41mp actually only creates 3/5/8 mp creates 1-3 mb files as pureview unless you're going to just ignore the advantages pureview offers where upon a point and click would serve better.

Apparently the 36MP? effective file is still pretty damn good. I could see people who like to print big wanting to utilize the largest file the Nokia phones offer.

frontieruk

Apparently the 36MP? effective file is still pretty damn good. I could see people who like to print big wanting to utilize the largest file the Nokia phones offer.

People who like to print big would be using a dedicated camera, the 38MP effective file is just a very large standard camera phone image with the artefacts you'd expect from such a small lens.

Commodore

Mint is finally confirmed for Windows Phone. Though looks like they are targeting Windows Phone 8 and with the built in money tracking features of WP8 its not as big a deal as it was when I first got my phone and it was one of the biggest loses I had moving from iOS. But still, good to see Mint join up. Bet they're planning a Windows 8 desktop app to coincide with the release as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom