• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
With AT&T yep.

I've always wondered what's going on with phone companies in America. Everyone in Malaysia and Singapore just gives you tethering, no strings attached.

That might have something to do with how I never seem to be bothered with phone charges that much.

Funny thing, my Lumia 900 has a pink soft cover just because.

tino

Banned
I've always wondered what's going on with phone companies in America. Everyone in Malaysia and Singapore just gives you tethering, no strings attached.

That might have something to do with how I never seem to be bothered with phone charges that much.

Funny thing, my Lumia 900 has a pink soft cover just because.

Because US carriers used to sell fake "unlimited data", they have slowly moved away from it to now the "bucket of data" model. With shared data plan, you can tether,

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone here know an older person with a Windows Phone? My mom is in her 60's but is pretty active (she posts on Facebook) and she wants a smartphone. She likes the pink Lumia 900, and its just $50, but I'm wondering if Windows Phone is less easy for smartphone beginners, specifically older folks, than an iPhone.

Of course, I'd set up her email and Facebook and all that, I'm just wondering about day-to-day usage. I know the capacitive buttons can be a headache and she won't be able to wrap her head around the multi-tasking, which means she'll have to restart apps from scratch every single time. Also, loading times on even simple games compared to iPhone may suck for her. It's those little annoyances that make me think that an iPhone may be a better day to day phone for an older person, but I'd like some feedback. On the plus side, the Lumia has a much bigger screen, and the OS already uses large fonts, so it'll help her (she doesn't have the best vision).

maeh2k

Anyone here know an older person with a Windows Phone? My mom is in her 60's but is pretty active (she posts on Facebook) and she wants a smartphone. She likes the pink Lumia 900, and its just $50, but I'm wondering if Windows Phone is less easy for smartphone beginners, specifically older folks, than an iPhone.

Of course, I'd set up her email and Facebook and all that, I'm just wondering about day-to-day usage. I know the capacitive buttons can be a headache and she won't be able to wrap her head around the multi-tasking, which means she'll have to restart apps from scratch every single time. Also, loading times on even simple games compared to iPhone may suck for her. It's those little annoyances that make me think that an iPhone may be a better day to day phone for an older person, but I'd like some feedback. On the plus side, the Lumia has a much bigger screen, and the OS already uses large fonts, so it'll help her (she doesn't have the best vision).

Actually I think Windows Phone might be pretty much perfect in your case. Assuming you mother won't use tons of apps and games. Once set up it's pretty easy to learn.

My mother has a Windows Phone and she can handle it just fine. She mostly uses it as a phone, for the camera, and for stuff like WhatsApp. She doesn't use that many apps and doesn't care at all for things like multi-tasking.
One of the most useful features for her are the tiles with being able to pin contacts and groups. With both my mother and me using Windows Phone, it's also great for sharing photos that are easily and intuitively accessible via the contact or the photo hub.
Also features like local scout, music search and visual search are helpful without additional apps. Also really easy to use.

I think the facebook integration would be great for your mother, too. At this point it's just better integrated than on the iPhone, with contacts, chat, status on live tiles.

For older people screen size might play a bigger role, too. The current gen iPhones are a bit small. With bigger phones the keyboard becomes easier to use and the fonts easier to see.
With Windows Phone you have the choice between different screen sizes and compared to the iPhone they are also quite a bit cheaper.

Actually I think Windows Phone might be pretty much perfect in your case. Assuming you mother won't use tons of apps and games. Once set up it's pretty easy to learn.

My mother has a Windows Phone and she can handle it just fine. She mostly uses it as a phone, for the camera, and for stuff like WhatsApp. She doesn't use that many apps and doesn't care at all for things like multi-tasking.
One of the most useful features for her are the tiles with being able to pin contacts and groups. With both my mother and me using Windows Phone, it's also great for sharing photos that are easily and intuitively accessible via the contact or the photo hub.
Also features like local scout, music search and visual search are helpful without additional apps. Also really easy to use.

I think the facebook integration would be great for your mother, too. At this point it's just better integrated than on the iPhone, with contacts, chat, status on live tiles.

EDIT: I should also point out that she may be biased since I'm her son.

For older people screen size might play a bigger role, too. The current gen iPhones are a bit small. With bigger phones the keyboard becomes easier to use and the fonts easier to see.
With Windows Phone you have the choice between different screen sizes and compared to the iPhone they are also quite a bit cheaper.

WP was my mom's first smartphone. She had all kinds of groups pinned to the front, and she uses maps/local scout all the time. She loves her phone, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't use multitasking ever.

krae_man

Do you need to get your phone company to agree to this by paying up the ass for an extra service?

I'm with wind mobile. I hqve a unlimited local calling, unlimited canada wide text and unlimited data for $29/month. The data can be throttled after 5gb, or I can pay $10/month more to get the soft cap up bumped up to 10gb.

So no, I'm not charged an arm and a leg.

After a cheap but decent phone at the minute. I can pick up the 710 for £90 ($140) at the moment on pay as you go. Just that slight hesitancy that it will be completely redundant when WP8 is released.

Wondered how much a lack of adobe flash might be as well. I am thinking though that pound for pound, there is no better alternative at the moment though?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
After a cheap but decent phone at the minute. I can pick up the 710 for £90 ($140) at the moment on pay as you go. Just that slight hesitancy that it will be completely redundant when WP8 is released.

Wondered how much a lack of adobe flash might be as well. I am thinking though that pound for pound, there is no better alternative at the moment though?

Flash is going the way of the dodo no matter if you are thinking good or bad. Just the way it is.

ChanHuk

Banned
I think I may just sell my 4S and use my Lumia 900 until the next iPhone comes out. Maximize profits, is there a Flipboard alternative for WP?

Looks like Windows Phone!

I am going to miss the gutter. My wife has been bugging me about getting a smartphone (she wants Android, traitor!, because all her friends have that at work) but I am going to see if she will give Windows Phone a try. She doesn't use that many app, and rarely play games, she just want it to browse the web, text and check and update her facebook. The problem is there is no Windows Phone with physical keyboard on At&t ...

Bloomberg says Nokia World will be Nokia's new phone showcase. Nothing unexpected.

But they also said that there won't be a keynote. How do you announce something without a keynote?

Oh and today is the Microsoft Visual Studio Live event or something like that. Maybe they'll announce something regarding the Phone 8SDK there.

I am going to miss the gutter. My wife has been bugging me about getting a smartphone (she wants Android, traitor!, because all her friends have that at work) but I am going to see if she will give Windows Phone a try. She doesn't use that many app, and rarely play games, she just want it to browse the web, text and check and update her facebook. The problem is there is no Windows Phone with physical keyboard on At&t ...

I was totally with you when WP8 was announced. I'm coming around to life after the gutter.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was totally with you when WP8 was announced. I'm coming around to life after the gutter.

What a cocktease! One question: Yes or no, is there a feature or features that has not leaked on the blogs or through the SDK that is mindblowing or game changing and does not exist in competing platforms?

derFeef

I will only talk about publicly released info, like the new start screen. The small tiles are really nice and useful.

9oo9x.jpg

krae_man

Am I missing something or is the ringer volume and the audio volume the tied to each other? I was watching a YouTube video on my phone and the audio was quiet so I turned it up. Then somebody called me while I was watching it and bam max volume ring in my ear.

kharma45

Am I missing something or is the ringer volume and the audio volume the tied to each other? I was watching a YouTube video on my phone and the audio was quiet so I turned it up. Then somebody called me while I was watching it and bam max volume ring in my ear.

Yeah they're tied, fucking annoying isn't it?

Picked up a Lumia 710 today and am pleasantly surprised as the build is better than I expected. Really liking using it so far - nice and simple to set up (I recall my girlfriends android phone being a pain in the arse to get sorted properly with a 3g connection etc)

Two niggly things though. First - and its my own fault for not doing my homework properly - no iPlayer :( Bit of a blow that one.

Second, there doesn't seem to be a one click option to put the phone into a completely silent mode. I could hit one key on my old Nokia and it shut down ringtones and also switched off vibrate.

Rather oddly, as I type this the phone has just reset itself? A complete shutdown and reboot.

Last little thing....no whatsapp at the minute. But hopefully that should be back soon.

But yeah, very pleased with it otherwise. The Xbox Live bit being particularly useful.

edit: maybe someone can help with something. In call settings, it shows my own number as being all zeros. I can't click on the box to edit it either. Any ideas? Thanks

Vanillalite

#1 annoyance with my Focus that wasn't a bug or just a missing feature. It was annoying wanting to listen to music on a different volume let from my ringtone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
P
Second, there doesn't seem to be a one click option to put the phone into a completely silent mode. I could hit one key on my old Nokia and it shut down ringtones and also switched off vibrate.

Not one click but with the screen on, you can tap the volume button, then tap the icon in the top right corner to put it on vibrate. You can also press and hold the volume down button.

Edit: I held the galaxy S3 today, the red att one. Its actually a much nicer phone in person than in pictures. I wouldn't be totally opposed to picking up a windows phone version if Nokia somehow stumbles this fall in terms of design.

Vanillalite

Not one click but with the screen on, you can tap the volume button, then tap the icon in the top right corner to put it on vibrate. You can also press and hold the volume down button.

Edit: I held the galaxy S3 today, the red att one. Its actually a much nicer phone in person than in pictures. I wouldn't be totally opposed to picking up a windows phone version if Nokia somehow stumbles this fall in terms of design.

Well they basically went back to the GS1 design which means build wise it's a lot like an oversized Samsung Focus. Considering you already had a Sammy phone at one point I can see why you'd like it. I don't think it holds a candle to the unibody designs Nokia and HTC have put out, but I'd hardly call it bad either. It's a solid design even if I wouldn't call it top tier.

Biggest issue is we need a company to make something of the quality level of the Lumia line that still has a removable battery as to appease a lot of people. I'm not really sure how this could be done though. Currently most of what I'd put in the top tier of designs are all unibody phones with the battery locked down like the iPhone 4/4S.

Bigger problem with getting a new Sammy phone as a WP variant is we haven't heard of them creating a + version of their 720 screens. Granted the newer non + still is still a step up from GS1/OG Focus levels, but a + version would do wonders.

f0lken

Definitely a new one, you can see the front camera (or is a reflection???) to the right side of the speaker, and it should be WP8 most likely, it looks good but would look better in cyan...

If is not a fake of course

EDIT: brotkasten killing my hype

Considering it does not have the new Windows Logo I guess 900 with 7.8
edit: altough the logo is in a different spot.

Definitely a new one, you can see the front camera (or is a reflection???) to the right side of the speaker, and it should be WP8 most likely, it looks good but would look better in cyan...

If is not a fake of course
It's the 800. No front facing camera, curved glass screen and the 900 has the buttons closer to the bezel. Yellow was one of the planned colors for the Lumia line (CMYK, get it?).

hwalker84

How much are you willing to bet the WP8 Nokia devices coming this year will look exactly like the 900 and 800 that are already available?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sprint VP says the Arrive was the most returned device they've had recently. That doesn't square with the fantastic reviews the phone has gotten at sprint's website, but that's just bad news for anyone wanting to buy an Apollo device this fall for that carrier. At best, it'll probably be just one throwaway device.

Milchjon

I hope the Toasts notifications are more on-time and remain on screen on WP8.

IMO, WhatsApp notifications are comparably punctual. Facebook notifications often take like 30 minutes, while with WhatsApp I've never waited more than maybe a minute.

Man, all the Soundcloud apps really suck, one of them can't even output audio, lol.

I'm using one called SoundClouder that (despite the Pony in the Logo) seems decent so far. Have you tried that one?

Vanillalite

I'm using one called SoundClouder that (despite the Pony in the Logo) seems decent so far. Have you tried that one?

That's the one I posted about, and it works fine for me. I'm not looking for a ton of features or anything though so what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom