• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

I'm not sure what that size comparison is even based on, looks like they could just as well be blowing that pic up way too large.

I still don't really think that's a new phone, like brotkasten said. And if it is, it looks worse than both current ones.

thirty

Banned
Bluetooth 3, not 4, to be used in WP8? means low energy devices like smart watches may not work at the most efficient levels. Phones like the GS3 have Bluetooth 4 now, yet to be released WP8 phones won't? here we thought WP8 was suppose to bring things up to par. 720p displays, dual cores, non pureview cameras, Bluetooth 4, etc will all seem pretty old by the time the first wave of WP8 devices are released.

thirty

Banned
I'm not sure what that size comparison is even based on, looks like they could just as well be blowing that pic up way too large.

I still don't really think that's a new phone, like brotkasten said. And if it is, it looks worse than both current ones.
sure doesn't look like an 800. look at it in dude's hands, it looks massive.

venne

Sprint VP says the Arrive was the most returned device they've had recently. That doesn't square with the fantastic reviews the phone has gotten at sprint's website, but that's just bad news for anyone wanting to buy an Apollo device this fall for that carrier. At best, it'll probably be just one throwaway device.

Sprint tied their fate to the iPhone by committing to spending +$15 billion on them over the next four years.

Good luck with that, Dan.

But brot said its an 800 prototype. Who to believe?

Maybe the guy in the photo has tiny hands, if I hold my 800 like that the top of the phone reaches half my thumb. This prototype has a smaller bezel and a FFC, the lumia 800 is a direct copy of the N9. Why would the prototype be this much different?

Maybe the guy in the photo has tiny hands, if I hold my 800 like that the top of the phone reaches half my thumb. This prototype has a smaller bezel and a FFC, the lumia 800 is a direct copy of the N9. Why would the prototype be this much different?

I was wrong. While there are definitely yellow 800s lying around somewhere, this is not one of them.

The old flag indicates that the prototype is already few months old. The button placement makes it look like the 800 at first glance (the mistake I made), but it doesn't have the smooth transition between the polycarbonate and the glass. It's more akin to the 900, with its rubber band between the two materials. The lighting in that picture makes it a bit difficult for me to locate the FFC, but I can see where it could be. Maybe I can see it better on a different monitor.

I was wrong. While there are definitely yellow 800s lying around somewhere, this is not one of them.

The old flag indicates that the prototype is already few months old. The button placement makes it look like the 800 at first glance (the mistake I made), but it doesn't have the smooth transition between the polycarbonate and the glass. It's more akin to the 900, with its rubber band between the two materials. The lighting in that picture makes it a bit difficult for me to locate the FFC, but I can see where it could be. Maybe I can see it better on a different monitor.

Between the gaping hole for the speaker and the nokia logo you can see a round shape that must be the FFC.

Between the gaping hole for the speaker and the nokia logo you can see a round shape that must be the FFC.

I know that a FFC in this day and age seems really obvious, but it's not the first time people mistook the proximity sensor for a FFC (LG Optimus 7, Nokia Lumia 800).

lcQkF.jpg

KakRd.jpg

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Just joined the windows phone team with a Dell Venue Pro.

I'm using it with T-Mobile's $30 plan.

Build quality is awesome. I come from a long line of android phones and the Dell is up there.

Has anyone bought Garmin? Navigation is the feature I miss the most from Android.

Sordid

Bloody hell, just went to enter my second 3 month Zune pass code from the Nokia offer and I can't find it. I must've deleted the e-mail :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just joined the windows phone team with a Dell Venue Pro.

I'm using it with T-Mobile's $30 plan.

Build quality is awesome. I come from a long line of android phones and the Dell is up there.

Has anyone bought Garmin? Navigation is the feature I miss the most from Android.

Can you return the phone? The Lumia 710 has a better processor and has free turn by turn with Nokia Drive. Plus it will get the 7.8 update.

kazinova

Hmm nice the four main products have the four colors of the old Windows logo.
Windows Phone - Red
Windows - Blue
Xbox - Green
Office - Orange/Yellow

Kind of a cool little touch with that.

That's awesome!

(BTW, is the WP7 OT the only thread with decent humans being in it?)

thirty

Banned
i bit on the walmart $349 t-mobile galaxy note deal. that's just too much tech for too little price. i'll flip it once i get a proper nokie wp8 pureview phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the suggestions, but I like the hardware keyboard and the amoled.

I will check out Nokia Drive. I think I read it could be installed on any wp device.

It is Lumia devices only. I believe with WP8 Nokia Drive will be available for all WP8 phones.

NeOak

Thanks for the suggestions, but I like the hardware keyboard and the amoled.

I will check out Nokia Drive. I think I read it could be installed on any wp device.

I have a Dell Venue Pro too, but with AT&T (bought it unlocked from Dell). I hear you on the hardware keyboard, unfortunately I was spoiled by a Nokia E71 and haven't looked back ever since.

For navigation I use Maps. It has worked pretty well for me, but you need data for it to work though.

As for 7.8, who knows. Dell uses the Venue Pro internally, so maybe the unlocked units will be updated eventually...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i bit on the walmart $349 t-mobile galaxy note deal. that's just too much tech for too little price. i'll flip it once i get a proper nokie wp8 pureview phone.

Another one bites the dust. Its fitting that I'd go from being an HD DVD fanboy to a Windows Phone fanboy.

With my track record, MS should probably pay me money to buy a mac.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
One of the biggest problems is cellphones have become such an integral part of most people's lives especially under 40 years old. So when you current phone dies or breaks or gets lost or stolen it's this OMFG WHAT DO I DO moment. Then you seem to want to only wait days not weeks or months to get a new phone.

thirty

Banned
Another one bites the dust. Its fitting that I'd go from being an HD DVD fanboy to a Windows Phone fanboy.

walmart stil hasn't given me a confirmation email yet, there's a part of me that wants walmart to respond with a "sorry, your order was cancelled" email. like i said though, i'm still want a nokia pureview but if i'm gonna wait til spring 2013, i won't. i'll buy a good cheap phone til then that i can flip.

Sprint VP says the Arrive was the most returned device they've had recently. That doesn't square with the fantastic reviews the phone has gotten at sprint's website, but that's just bad news for anyone wanting to buy an Apollo device this fall for that carrier. At best, it'll probably be just one throwaway device.

maybe the people who kept it really really liked it?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Rule of the interwebs those who are Unhappy about something make the most noise.

Except in the case of the HTC Arrive apparently, where the vast majority of reviews you read online are highly positive, even as large amounts of people apparently hate the phone enough to return it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Except in the case of the HTC Arrive apparently, where the vast majority of reviews you read online are highly positive, even as large amounts of people apparently hate the phone enough to return it.

The HTC Arrive launched in March 2011 (and even then it was late to market). It was a decent enough phone at the time, which partly explains the good reviews from early adopters, but I can easily understand why recent purchasers in 2012 would be returning it in droves. It's Sprint's fault for not getting the newer, more appealing, generation of Windows Phone handsets although I'm sure Sprint is happy to replace a returned WP with one of those many many iPhones they need to sell to keep up quotas.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
but I can easily understand why recent purchasers in 2012 would be returning it in droves.

I got the impression that he wasn't necessarily referring to recent buyers only, I doubt anyone is buying that phone or if it's even displayed in stores still.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got the impression that he wasn't necessarily referring to recent buyers only, I doubt anyone is buying that phone or if it's even displayed in stores still.

He requested the Palm Pre on his network without any carrier testing so I find it hard to believe that the HTC Arrive would be the most returned phone... On the other hand, I just found out that the HTC Arrive can't even send MMS on the Sprint network so *smh*

The HTC Arrive launched in March 2011 (and even then it was late to market). It was a decent enough phone at the time, which partly explains the good reviews from early adopters, but I can easily understand why recent purchasers in 2012 would be returning it in droves. It's Sprint's fault for not getting the newer, more appealing, generation of Windows Phone handsets although I'm sure Sprint is happy to replace a returned WP with one of those many many iPhones they need to sell to keep up quotas.

Even some 2012 buyers love it.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...flow=AAL&planSKUId=null&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=#

thirty

Banned

walmart stil hasn't given me a confirmation email yet, there's a part of me that wants walmart to respond with a "sorry, your order was cancelled" email. like i said though, i'm still want a nokia pureview but if i'm gonna wait til spring 2013, i won't. i'll buy a good cheap phone til then that i can flip.
walmart replied-
Unfortunately, the Samsung Galaxy Note was incorrectly priced on our site, and we have cancelled your order in accordance with our Terms of Use. For more information on our terms, including our policy regarding pricing and typographical errors, please visit:
YES, YES, YES!!! i really didn't want that galaxy note anyway. was already having nightmares about rearranging all those mismatched android widgets.

bring on Nokia World, my body is ready.
jean_claude-van_damme_4.jpg

thirty

Banned
HTC might launch their WP8 devices by 3rd week of September? i guess we'll know the first week of september. does make sense considering iphone 5 launch is looming and HTC is looking at WP8 after their poor performing android One models.

The models in question are what we’ve known as the Zenith, Accord, and Rio. Their rumored hardware runs the gamut from a quad-core chip in the 4.7-inch, 720p Zenith, down to a dual-core Snapdragon and 4-inch WVGA display on the Rio. The Accord and Rio were supposed to land by October, but the Zenith would apparently be delayed for later in the year. Instead, now it looks like all three might launch in the third week of September.

HTC might launch their WP8 devices by 3rd week of September? i guess we'll know the first week of september. does make sense considering iphone 5 launch is looming and HTC is looking at WP8 after their poor performing android One models.

The HTC One series performs poorly and what does HTC? Releases the same fucking phones with Windows Phone on them.

Yeah, that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom