• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

HTC might launch their WP8 devices by 3rd week of September? i guess we'll know the first week of september. does make sense considering iphone 5 launch is looming and HTC is looking at WP8 after their poor performing android One models.

They are just going to announce them then, I don't know why these blogs are suggesting that that means that WP8 devices will come out any sooner than we thought previously.

PG2G

The HTC One series performs poorly and what does HTC? Releases the same fucking phones with Windows Phone on them.

Yeah, that will help.

What do you think is wrong with the HTC One X? The design is acceptable (no worse than SGS III), the screen is great (as good as, or better than SGS III), the same SoC as the SGS III, and a better camera than the SGS III.

So yeah... I blame Sense :p Luckily they can't do much with WP8 SW

kazinova

What do you think is wrong with the HTC One X? The design is acceptable (no worse than SGS III), the screen is great (as good as, or better than SGS III), the same SoC as the SGS III, and a better camera than the SGS III.

So yeah... I blame Sense :p Luckily they can't do much with WP8 SW

He might have meant performed poorly in the sales sense...

maeh2k

The HTC One series performs poorly and what does HTC? Releases the same fucking phones with Windows Phone on them.

Yeah, that will help.

Of course it won't. Unless they call it the HTC Samsung Galaxy or the HTC Apple their phones will have a tough time in the market.

The HTC One series is a good example of how people choose phones. They are really great devices, had a head start over the SGS3 and run Android. And yet they didn't sell well.

Really a good counter argument to people claiming Windows Phone fails because no one likes the OS and to people proclaiming how much better off Nokia would be had they gone Android.

The only way Windows Phone will succeed is if carriers really want to have a third ecosystem and support it accordingly. You'd think that was an easy choice, especially with the outrageous iPhone subsidies (see CNNmoney: The iPhone is a nightmare for carriers).
Instead Sprint goes off and makes a 15 billion dollar commitment to the iPhone...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Another flaw in that report is that one of the phones is supposed to be quad core, but isn't Apollo launching with dual core phones only this year, with quad core coming next year?

Edit:also, Brett will come in here and defend the One X, but after seeing the red SG3 in person, I actually liked the look and would definitely pick a WP version of that over a WP version of the One X. The screens aren't that far apart, even with the lack of "plus", and the advantages of removable battery and expandable storage would trump that anyway.

So, Samsung > HTC in that comparison, but clearly a Nokia phone is the best possible WP purchase, provided they don't ruin the roll they've been on design-wise.

notworksafe

Ordered a Windows Phone (Focus 2) that should be arriving today and I'm pretty excited to try it out.

I'm coming from iPhone but I think I've set up everything to work right when I get the phone after work. Imported my contacts from iCloud to my Live Account, installed Zune and it sees all my music and podcasts just fine. I plan to keep using Gmail, but it sounds like that is easy to set up on the phone.

Anything else I should do?

PG2G

He might have meant performed poorly in the sales sense...

Yeah, I understand that. The point I'm making is that there isn't anything wrong with the HTC One X, so slapping a new OS on it isn't a bad thing. The reason the phone isn't selling isn't because of the hardware.

maeh2k

Eh, it was a dirt cheap phone so I figured I'd give it a shot. If I truly hate WP7 I can just toss my sim back in my iPhone and carry on. :p

If it was cheap you really can't go wrong with it. It's a good phone and there's something very comforting about having a sub 500$ phone. With the expensive devices I'd way more worried about scratches, drops, theft...

If you want to upgrade at any point you can still pass it off to e.g. relatives. It's great for people coming from feature phones, too.

maeh2k

Is it going to be a total overhaul or more like an iOS update that just adds features? I was under the assumption that it would be closer to the latter.

It's really a major overhaul. It will move to a different kernel and apps that are made for WP8 won't run on WP7 (but WP8 will run all WP7 apps).

However the visible user interface will pretty much remain the same. And since WP8 also runs WP7 apps I think/hope WP7 phones will get new apps for quite some time (and of course there are already lots of apps available).

rozay

Banned
Any word on whether the WP8 phones with snapdragons will have Adreno 320 GPUs or stuck with android leftover Adreno 225s?

notworksafe

If it was cheap you really can't go wrong with it. It's a good phone and there's something very comforting about having a sub 500$ phone. With the expensive devices I'd way more worried about scratches, drops, theft...

If you want to upgrade at any point you can still pass it off to e.g. relatives. It's great for people coming from feature phones, too.
Yeah I'm excited to try it out. I was hunting around for something new, and I wanted 4G so this seemed like a good call. I don't use many apps (Twitter, Tapatalk, Steam, ESPN, and Web Browser) so I figured it couldn't hurt.

It's really a major overhaul. It will move to a different kernel and apps that are made for WP8 won't run on WP7 (but WP8 will run all WP7 apps).

However the visible user interface will pretty much remain the same. And since WP8 also runs WP7 apps I think/hope WP7 phones will get new apps for quite some time (and of course there are already lots of apps available).
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Well I'm buying this phone used (refurbished) so if something amazing comes up in the next few months for WP8 I can buy it when my contract discount comes up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ATT should be pushing out Tango and the 8779 firmware update to the 900 soon. I hope Rogers pushes the firmware update soon too. I want the purple hue gone from the low light setting, volume fixed and the ability to use the data counter app.

hwalker84

I'm dying for a leak or something. All these companies learning from Apple levels of secrecy sucks. Can't someone testing out the new Nokia super phone leave it at the bar or something?

Troll

Banned

It only supports up to 20 mega pixels, looks like the Pureview really is a little bit out.

I'm dying for a leak or something. All these companies learning from Apple levels of secrecy sucks. Can't someone testing out the new Nokia super phone leave it at the bar or something?

lol, we know everything there is to know about the iPhone 5, so why can't I see the Alpha Juggernaut prime or whatever its called?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Another flaw in that report is that one of the phones is supposed to be quad core, but isn't Apollo launching with dual core phones only this year, with quad core coming next year?

Edit:also, Brett will come in here and defend the One X, but after seeing the red SG3 in person, I actually liked the look and would definitely pick a WP version of that over a WP version of the One X. The screens aren't that far apart, even with the lack of "plus", and the advantages of removable battery and expandable storage would trump that anyway.

So, Samsung > HTC in that comparison, but clearly a Nokia phone is the best possible WP purchase, provided they don't ruin the roll they've been on design-wise.

Not just me. Brot made the same comment about the 720p amoled screens. Your crazy if you think pentile matrix amoleds are sufficient in 2012 almost 2013 by time WP8 arrives.

Also I said you'd like the GS3 body. It's basically an oversized GS1 or Focus. I find it funny you mention the removable battery and stuff though considering you like the Lumia 800/900 which are also unibody.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also I said you'd like the GS3 body. It's basically an oversized GS1 or Focus. I find it funny you mention the removable battery and stuff though considering you like the Lumia 800/900 which are also unibody.

Unibody designs are better looking imo, but if the tradeoffs are non removable batteries and non expandable storage, I'll pass.

Ordered a Windows Phone (Focus 2) that should be arriving today and I'm pretty excited to try it out.

I'm coming from iPhone but I think I've set up everything to work right when I get the phone after work. Imported my contacts from iCloud to my Live Account, installed Zune and it sees all my music and podcasts just fine. I plan to keep using Gmail, but it sounds like that is easy to set up on the phone.

Anything else I should do?

why no lumia?

PG2G

Patent licenses are weird like that. MS gets paid for the sale of Android devices.

Isn't that different though? Samsung is purchasing a piece of software from Microsoft so it is on Microsoft to have sorted out all that stuff. Unlike Android which is an open source free for all. Maybe the royalties are for something unrelated to the OS

Milchjon

AFAIK MS gets licensing fees for some basic patents from every Android phone.
Whereas Apple seems to argue that the look and functionality of ALL (Samsung) touchscreen phones was lifted from the iPhone.

The two aren't really connected, I think.

hwalker84

My ME tile has stopped working. No notifications in the last 8 hours and the ones from earlier today that had pictures didn't working prior to the last notifications. Ideas?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thing is, the Me tile is probably my most used tile in terms of getting notifications. When its working, there is no better, unobtrusive way to keep up on who's reaching out to you on FB or Twitter. When its not working, its pretty much useless.

AnkitT

Why is it that the box app has multiple select and skydrive app doesnt? It seems kinda ass backwards (or am I missing something here?).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You guys have recommendations for budget (planner) apps? Maybe with skydrive/dropbox support?

I haven't tried any cause I use MS Money at home, but I would suggest that you try a well done Excel spreadsheet and place that in your skydrive folder if you can't find a decent app in the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom