• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

I haven't tried any cause I use MS Money at home, but I would suggest that you try a well done Excel spreadsheet and place that in your skydrive folder if you can't find a decent app in the marketplace.

Money still exists? :D
Just tried out Toshl. It has a nice webinterface and support for all kinds of systems. Very simple but seems competent enough for me.

PG2G

I'll be looking forward to the release of Mint for Windows Phone 8. I don't know how I lived without it for so long

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I didn't notice it before or it was added recently, but Bing search is giving more info. Search a movie, get to select the movie times for local theaters. Search a company, get the stock price. Search weather in _______ get the forecast.

Anyways Bing on WP is awesome. It would be nice if I didn't have to have to use the US search setting though.

notworksafe

why no lumia?

Lumia was still expensive, even used. I just wanted a cheap phone to try out WP7 and the Focus fit the bill.

It finally arrived but since I only have a microSIM I can't use it yet. AT&T is shipping out a regular SIM that should be here tomorrow so I'll wait until then. I've had fun playing with it on WiFi though.

Any general app recommendations? I've got SkyDrive, Netflix, ESPN, and StormGlass but the Marketplace seems oddly organized.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lumia was still expensive, even used. I just wanted a cheap phone to try out WP7 and the Focus fit the bill.

It finally arrived but since I only have a microSIM I can't use it yet. AT&T is shipping out a regular SIM that should be here tomorrow so I'll wait until then. I've had fun playing with it on WiFi though.

Any general app recommendations? I've got SkyDrive, Netflix, ESPN, and StormGlass but the Marketplace seems oddly organized.

Marketplace->Apps->all->free and top are good to go through

Some of my faves are Amazing Weather, BBC New Mobile, Prime TV, Audible, Weave, Wordament, Flixster, IMDB, Baconit (Reddit App), Mehdoh (twitter), Metrotube, Soundhound, Translator

notworksafe

Awesome! Medoh was exactly what I was looking for from a Twitter app! AmazingWeather is great too.

Basically anything that uses Live Tiles well is really impressive to me. :p

hwalker84

Thing is, the Me tile is probably my most used tile in terms of getting notifications. When its working, there is no better, unobtrusive way to keep up on who's reaching out to you on FB or Twitter. When its not working, its pretty much useless.
So I randomly got two notifications from my ME tile. Still not everything but it looks like it may be correcting itself.

maeh2k

Some of my faves are Amazing Weather, , Prime TV, ... , Mehdoh (twitter)

For these I prefer Weather Live, TV Show, and Carbon.

I also recommend 'burn after reading' -- a Pocket / read-it-later client -- and AppDeals, which highlights deals on the market place.

Pinning the gaf mobile site is also nice. It even has a neogaf tile.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For these I prefer Weather Live, TV Show, and Carbon.

I also recommend 'burn after reading' -- a Pocket / read-it-later client -- and AppDeals, which highlights deals on the market place.

Pinning the gaf mobile site is also nice. It even has a neogaf tile.

Just tried TV Show, it will now be replacing Prime TV :)

ElNino

Just tried TV Show, it will now be replacing Prime TV :)
I have both TV Show and Prime TV, and have gone back on forth on which I prefer as they both do somethings better. I prefer the layout of Prime and generally find the Live Tile to be better as well. TV Show, however seems to have a bit better performance (ie. smoother scrolling and panorama swiping) and is better at highlighting today's and missed episodes.

Tomcat

Prime tv I believe it has been abandoned by its developer. No update for a long tine now.
Tv show is better but Rudy the developer seems to have other interests now than fixing and updating tvshow (for example SkyDrive backup doesn't work and needs fixing).

dpatel304

Anyone having trouble downloading the newest version of WhatsApp? Mine gets to about 70%, then fails and asks me to retry. Tried it tons of times with the same result.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
US-spec has a Snapdragon S4 instead of Exynos, due to the LTE. I think the S4 compares pretty well though, excluding the GPU.

Snapdragon S4 has even been beating the Tegra 3 and Exynos Quad in the latest GPU benchmark on Anandtech.

Total domination!

PG2G

Snapdragon S4 has even been beating the Tegra 3 and Exynos Quad in the latest GPU benchmark on Anandtech.

Total domination!

That is probably the S4 Pro (Adreno 320 versus Adreno 225). It is amazing how far ahead of everyone Apple is when it comes to the GPU though

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I thought the GS3 had something better than a Snapdragon. My bad.

All of the top of the line phones in America right now are running the same dual core Snapdragon S4 LTE chipset as it's the best running hardware that includes LTE. The GS3, One X, Evo 4G LTE, Moto Atrix HD etc... are all running the same chips. North America carriers refuse to release any new smartphones that aren't LTE compatible (not counting prepaid stuff). It also fails on the Nexus comparison in NA as the Nexus is running an older chipset here/

I thought you already knew this when we went over why I got the One X.

Doffen

Windows Phone 8 Slated for Late September Official Launch?

The memo that we’ve received from a tipster specifies that the “initial announcement embargo date” of Windows Phone 8 will be on September 30, 2012. We’re a bit skeptical about that date because it’s a Sunday, but it’s possible that the embargo time would be something like 11:59pm, September 30, allowing news of the Windows Phone 8 launch to cross the wire for the start of the day on Monday, October 1.

Mind = blown

Vanillalite

I actually thought you're a masochist, but if that's the reason, okay.

In the US all of the major phones are basically the exact same except for different screen types and the GS3 got that late bump to 2 gigs of RAM. Outside of that they all are running the same chipset, ICS, same screen res, all 4.3" or greater, all LTE, 16 gigs base etc... etc...

The LTE requirement has basically made it so everyone is releasing the same phone. It's rather funny seeing companies trying to differentiate since the phones are all so similar.

In the US all of the major phones are basically the exact same except for different screen types and the GS3 got that late bump to 2 gigs of RAM. Outside of that they all are running the same chipset, ICS, same screen res, all 4.3" or greater, all LTE, 16 gigs base etc... etc...

The LTE requirement has basically made it so everyone is releasing the same phone. It's rather funny seeing companies trying to differentiate since the phones are all so similar.

I know that, but not all phones run Sense. And yet you picked one with Sense.

You like pain, don't you?

Vanillalite

I know that, but not all phones run Sense. And yet you picked one with Sense.

You like pain, don't you?

No I picked the phone with the better screen and battery life. Tests show Sense out performs Touchwiz, Motoblur, and Stock (caveat being the only phone with stock LTE is the Verizon Nexus) battery wise with them all running the same chipset. This is the exact opposite of the international shit where the GS3 has redonkulously better battery life than the Tegra powered One X ( though supposedly that OTA last week was going to help with that). :p

PG2G

So, my Focus is really screwing up and I decided to file an insurance claim because I didn't want to be left having to make a quick decision if it really goes to crap. It looks like I'll be getting a Focus 2 replacement. Sucks to lose my SD card, but I'll be getting LTE, a better SoC, and a FFC in return. Should hold me over nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom