• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought i'd share this weird WP dream i had.
- i was at a WP8 release/phone unavailing event and Ballmer and ballemer started to walk into the crowd and say " you may want to stay till the end for sprint( or tmobile)" he said that to people who had those carriers. How did he know? IDK! Then he said everyone will get one of these and from the floor a phone emerged. It was a black berry running WP8. At first i thought it was a Nokia phone but nope. I was disgusted, it was pink too....what a nightmare.

If BB comes out with a WP8 device im calling it right here and now that I had a dream about it first.

Commodore

What's with all the OG Focus phones blowing up? Was their timer off? cause the two year mark for them is in October.

They better not. My OG Focus has to last me till Nokia unloads the fully fledged PureView. C'mon little guy!

TwgCg.jpg

hwalker84

I think you guys will b sorely disappointed if you want a full blown pure view phone this year or even spring for that matter. I'm thinking end of 2013 at the earliest.

I think you guys will b sorely disappointed if you want a full blown pure view phone this year or even spring for that matter. I'm thinking end of 2013 at the earliest.

It's definitely going to be earlier than Q3 2013.

If we're getting another "full blown" PureView again ...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I think they can get it done by Spring, but I see a lot of QQ'ing about either no pure view or a pure view "lite" at launch though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'll do either. If there is a pureview phone, I'm getting it. Otherwise, it's a toss up as to what I'll end up doing.

maeh2k

So what's happening with multitasking in WP8?

From the emulator leaks I thought it was identical to WP7 with the same five card limit and full app restarts when launching from the start screen.
However, according to this allegedly leaked document WP8 will get 'real' multitasking.

frontieruk

So what's happening with multitasking in WP8?

From the emulator leaks I thought it was identical to WP7 with the same five card limit and full app restarts when launching from the start screen.
However, according to this allegedly leaked document WP8 will get 'real' multitasking.

possibly reference to being able to run apps like runtastic and take a phonecall without pausing your runs recording

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've ranted about this before, but fresh restarts when you click on an app icon is just a bad idea. And now that I have 3 separate family members using wp7.5 devices, it just baffles me how MS can continue to justify it. None of my family members use the card screen for multitasking. Ever. Its just not intuitive. Double clicking the home icon on ios isn't intuitive either, but that doesn't matter because apps don't restart when you click them on ios.

So the end result is that apps take considerably longer to start than for someone using android or ios because you are starting over each time. I understand that it will clash with the UI imperative to have less chrome on screen (since you'll want to have a home icon in each screen), but the tradeoff to an average user is just not worth it. When using 3rd party apps, windows phones are much, much slower than the competition because most users are launching a fresh version of the app each time.

derFeef

I ranted about that too, I don't want to open IE in the manager just so I can use back etc. I don't want to get used to it, too - it just feels unnatural.

JaggedSac

MS should just have another application hydration event to hook into. That way developers can handle whether the user has revisited the app through the card screen or the app list. The developer could dump the user back onto the main page if they came through the app list, etc.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I don't see the point until MS officially allows it and gives us an app. Until then, I just put my stuff on Google and use Gooroovster, which for some reason is working fine now.

kn1ves24

I want to chime in on the multitasking in WP7, or this poorly executed attempt at multitasking. I know that it was added in later and that apps have to be coded to take advantage of the "state" save multitasking functionality but it is a worthless feature if apps that are in the "back" task list already won't jump to that state if you happen to click the live tile for it instead of selecting it from the task list. I haven't followed the WP8 leak or press releases too closely but I hope that is has some form of proper multitasking. Coming from iOS this is my only major complaint with WP. I had one of the original 3G iPhones so its not like I'm unfamiliar with devices that don't have multitasking, its just one of those things that once you have it, its a hard thing to give up.

/rant

I want to chime in on the multitasking in WP7, or this poorly executed attempt at multitasking. I know that it was added in later and that apps have to be coded to take advantage of the "state" save multitasking functionality but it is a worthless feature if apps that are in the "back" task list already won't jump to that state if you happen to click the live tile for it instead of selecting it from the task list. I haven't followed the WP8 leak or press releases too closely but I hope that is has some form of proper multitasking. Coming from iOS this is my only major complaint with WP. I had one of the original 3G iPhones so its not like I'm unfamiliar with devices that don't have multitasking, its just one of those things that once you have it, its a hard thing to give up.

/rant

the problem is that that is microsoft's stance on multitasking, by design. they think that clicking on the livetile should always start a new instance of the programme, the back button or cards returning you to the previous state. it's a tricky habit to get into, i feel, made worse by the fact you only have five cards to use.
i hope windows phone 8 gets rid of that godawful fade in for the clock/notifications on the lock screen.

PG2G

the problem is that that is microsoft's stance on multitasking, by design. they think that clicking on the livetile should always start a new instance of the programme, the back button or cards returning you to the previous state. it's a tricky habit to get into, i feel, made worse by the fact you only have five cards to use.

It is kind of silly because Windows 8 works the way you'd expect. If you open via live tile it will open the one in memory. I suspect the difference is that Windows 8 has a consistent and easy method for closing an application where Windows Phone doesn't. I know I've been in Windows 8 apps wondering how the hell I get back to where I was and ultimately end up closing it :p

rozay

Banned
It is kind of silly because Windows 8 works the way you'd expect. If you open via live tile it will open the one in memory. I suspect the difference is that Windows 8 has a consistent and easy method for closing an application where Windows Phone doesn't. I know I've been in Windows 8 apps wondering how the hell I get back to where I was and ultimately end up closing it :p
I'd like to jump in when the Nokia pureview phone comes out, but I hope this is something that changes in WP8.

Troll

Banned
My wife's OG Focus is having problems charging and mine is doing all kinds of weird shit lately. I really hope they give us something to be proud of. For Nokia's sake.

ICS is not Android 1.0, I don't get the hate the platform gets. The hate it gets on the UI side makes me think those people hating it are asinine.

i dont like android personally, as i disagree with some of the design choices they made. but otherwise i guess this is more like a running gag.
windows phone destroying your faves.

GCX

September 5th will be an interesting day.

I wonder if Nokia will reveal their tablet as well at the event(s).

Commodore

September 5th will be an interesting day.

I wonder if Nokia will reveal their tablet as well at the event(s).

I'm guessing it will involve some sort of maps/navigation news. Nokia has been pushing their maps business and expanding quite a bit. Don't think we'll see a tablet. Maybe spring. I just hope they bring out the big guns, and i get to see what could be my next phone. Don't want to wait till next year for the really compelling handset Nokia. Be ahead of the curve!
going to be disappointed aren't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom