• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing it will involve some sort of maps/navigation news. Nokia has been pushing their maps business and expanding quite a bit. Don't think we'll see a tablet. Maybe spring. I just hope they bring out the big guns, and i get to see what could be my next phone. Don't want to wait till next year for the really compelling handset Nokia. Be ahead of the curve!
going to be disappointed aren't I?

Nokia was going to release a Meltemi tablet before the platform was killed, not sure if they are going have windows tablet ready to replace it very soon.

JimiNutz

Banned
What are the chances that Samsung will release a decent WP8 handset?

I've been using an Omnia 7 for the past 18 months and have always liked Samsung phones (have had 4 Samsungs in a row now and just really like the phones they make).

I've had some awful experiences with Nokia in the past (my first 3 phones were Nokia and all had big problems such as phones randomly freezing and turning themselves off).
Im sure Nokia has improved since then (that was 15 years ago) but I'd def rather go with Samsung.

Samsung seem so heavily invested in Android that I worry that they won't really bother with WP8.

Will I be forced to buy a Nokia if I want something decent?

Fjolle

What are the chances that Samsung will release a decent WP8 handset?

I've been using an Omnia 7 for the past 18 months and have always liked Samsung phones (have had 4 Samsungs in a row now and just really like the phones they make).

I've had some awful experiences with Nokia in the past (my first 3 phones were Nokia and all had big problems such as phones randomly freezing and turning themselves off).
Im sure Nokia has improved since then (that was 15 years ago) but I'd def rather go with Samsung.

Samsung seem so heavily invested in Android that I worry that they won't really bother with WP8.

Will I be forced to buy a Nokia if I want something decent?
I feel there is 97.56% chance of them releasing some version of the S3 (Or new nexus whatever just to piss off GOOG) with WP8.

Sony Xpera S free on a 2 year contract for just 17 euro's a month

1336297872159.jpg

I was holding out for WP8 devices, but that deal is too good. I'm currently paying 17 euro's for a sim only contract.

I was holding out for WP8 devices, but that deal is too good. I'm currently paying 17 euro's for a sim only contract.

This is ridiculous. WP8 is few weeks away and you're biting on what's a lousy price for a phone with 2011 hardware.

I have no idea if it's bad, but it's a 2 year contract and WP8 is coming soon (if you want one, dunno).

I have no idea of what financial state you are in, but jumping on a 2 year contract with that phone is not a smart move.

Well 2 years should be enough for WP8 or 9 to establish itself. Besides, the monthly contract fee is 17 euro's, which is just as much as I'm paying now for a SIMOnly. I'm basically getting a free phone. When WP8 hits and I really like the devices, I can sell the Xperia and invest in in a new handset :)

Bold words to the company with marketshare almost 4 times bigger than Nokia atm.

Bold, indeed. One thing Sammy hasn't beat Nokia yet, though, is build quality, as I can attest.

I wonder what if the rumoured "$199" Surface RT was actually a $199 Nokia tablet/phablet.

Hey. By the way, an unrelated question:

What do you guys think of your Windows Phone's audio quality? To me, when I plug in the headphones, it's pretty good. I think it's better than the old Galaxy S I had, at least from clarity and background noise's standpoint.

maeh2k

Is there any way to calculate how much exactly you'd pay for the phone over the two years? Right now the Xperia S is sold for 360 to 390 Euros off-contract. In my experience you pay at least that much (and possibly more) over the two years.

One of the expected Nokia announcements is a mid-level phone, that I'm guessing will come in at around 400 Euros. I'd take that over the Xperia any time.

Doffen

What do you guys think of your Windows Phone's audio quality? To me, when I plug in the headphones, it's pretty good. I think it's better than the old Galaxy S I had, at least from clarity and background noise's standpoint.

My Samsung Omnia 7 is decent. Nothing spectacularly, but not bad either.

Is there any way to calculate how much exactly you'd pay for the phone over the two years? Right now the Xperia S is sold for 360 to 390 Euros off-contract. In my experience you pay at least that much (and possibly more) over the two years.

One of the expected Nokia announcements is a mid-level phone, that I'm guessing will come in at around 400 Euros. I'd take that over the Xperia any time.

17*24 = 408 euros. That - 370 (Xperia off contract) = 38 euros.
38/24= 1.58 euros a month.. For 1.58 a month I get 350 minutes and unlimited data.

It's this deal that is great. Like I said, I'm currently paying 17 euro's for 500MB + 300 minutes SIM-Only. What changes is that I'm basically getting a free phone now.

And another point is that the SIM-Only I'm currently on is one of the cheapest availible.
This deal is basically a free phone for me. Nothing changes. I'm paying 17 euros now in SIM-Only form (one the cheapest availible) and I'll be paying 17 euro's with a Xperia S in my pocket.

Becouse nothing changes for me, I can get that deal, sell the Xperia S and keep using my own phone. This is made possible by the fact that the Xperia contract is as cheap as my current sim-only.

And because this deal is basically a sim only + free Xperia S, I can buy a phone off contract. The money I make from selling the Xperia will be invested is a new (possibly WP8 handset).

In any case, this is a win-win situation. I'm so signing up for this deal.

Edit: ^wow I feel like a slut after that post, I mentionned free phone too many times lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This depends a lot on the device as different devices have different hardware based DACs.

don't the omnia's have the wolfson dac? Should be the best

I'm not sure whether Wolfson DACs are the best, seeing as I have a Galaxy S and, well...

*is curious what DAC is used in the Lumia 900*

(Slightly off-topic: After switching from my desktop to the MacBook Air, I've noticed that audio seems to be crisper and without background noise... Cirrus Logic, huh? That's what made me notice that the audio quality of my old phone was really lacking.)

ElNino

Awesome!

Also I got my firmware update for my Lumia today!
Did the Nokia update break Internet Sharing for you?

It was working fine for me before the update and now it doesn't work (the Rogers forums seems to indicate that others are having the issue as well). I'm considering rolling back the update to get it working again at the expense of the purple-hue issue since Internet Sharing is important for me when we are driving around and my son wants the internet for the iPad.

It was working fine for me before the update and now it doesn't work (the Rogers forums seems to indicate that others are having the issue as well). I'm considering rolling back the update to get it working again at the expense of the purple-hue issue since Internet Sharing is important for me when we are driving around and my son wants the internet for the iPad.

Funny thing, my Lumia 900 has Internet Sharing work semi-acceptably after the update. Before that, it mostly just disconnected. Now I can get it to connect around 75% of the time on fresh start and have the connection mostly stick.

Because this is relevant:

Updates of Solitaire, Mahjong and Minesweeper reveal Windows Phone versions with cross-platform cloud save compatibility.

OCg7C.png

thirty

Banned
so we have 3 nokia designs, neither of which look like they'll have pureview unless one of these have a large hump behind them.

Two%20Nokia%20Protos.png

o3lOR.png

is the nokia marketing guy referring to this lumia giant as the note competitor?

nokiaphi.jpg

PG2G

is the nokia marketing guy referring to this lumia giant as the note competitor?

I'd hope not, the rumors suggest that its screen is the same size as the Galaxy Nexus, which is smaller than the SGS III which is smaller than the old Note, which is smaller than the new Note.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tango update for Lumia 900?

HTC Titan over here, please update AT&T. (They won't)

I would be angry at this if it weren't so easy to flash the tango update and I hadn't already done it months ago.

Edit: and I don't know about HTC, but it's definitely at&t's fault for the Samsung phones. When I flashed the tango update, there was a separate update with a Samsung firmware upgrade that fixed some phone specific issues. So it's all ready to go.

JaggedSac

Because this is relevant:

Updates of Solitaire, Mahjong and Minesweeper reveal Windows Phone versions with cross-platform cloud save compatibility.

OCg7C.png

Wonder if they will just update the current apps, or create new ones. Hopefully new ones, I could use some more cheevos.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

j

I don't usually use internet sharing so I'm not sure. I will test it later.

rozay

Banned
I'm struggling to understand why Nokia made that large bottom bezel part of the design on the B picture. They had to on the 800 to be able to reuse N9 design stuff, but it looks pretty ugly..

thirty

Banned
I'm struggling to understand why Nokia made that large bottom bezel part of the design on the B picture. They had to on the 800 to be able to reuse N9 design stuff, but it looks pretty ugly..
tripod mount at the bottom of da fone. pureview am confirmed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom