• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

The N9 is so sexy still.

If I had the money, I'd buy all the available versions of the Lumia 800. It's one of those very, very rare products where even when I own it, I still stop and think "I wanna have that one" whenever I see it in a shop. Stuff like the Dreamcast back then, some Boxfresh shoes or the Lamborghini Gallardo (well, I don't own that one, of course). Stuff that may be somehow flawed, but my love is still completely unconditional.

thirty

Banned
i'd like someone to Photoshop the Lumia G (giant) with a big pureview hump behind it just to see if it could ever look good.

Milchjon

i'd like someone to Photoshop the Lumia G (giant) with a big pureview hump behind it just to see if it could ever look good.

I think you'd have to do a lot of actual design work to make that happen. With the 808's hump, no way it looks bearable.

thirty

Banned
I think you'd have to do a lot of actual design work to make that happen. With the 808's hump, no way it looks bearable.
I think a N8 hump would work with the Lumia design.
n8+picture+gallery.jpg

hwalker84

http://gizmodo.com/5935517/twitter-wants-to-stop-people-from-using-apps-not-made-by-twitter

Fuck you Twitter!

Twitter just posted details about the upcoming updates to its API and the big news is this: Twitter will be limiting the amount of users that can use third-party Twitter apps. Basically apps like Tweetbot and Twitterific now have a Twitter-enforced ceiling on how many users it can have. It's Twitter walling in and limiting every other Twitter app not made by Twitter.

Cool, I just "hit my Twitter API limit" when I tried to open a mention notification from Rowi. Sigh, I guess I should install Twitter's official app. Classy Twitter, classy.

Troll

Banned
Cool, I just "hit my Twitter API limit" when I tried to open a mention notification from Rowi. Sigh, I guess I should install Twitter's official app. Classy Twitter, classy.

Did Twitter develop the "official" app? If not will we still get these bull shit errors?

Well, I missed out on the Xperia S deal. Good news is that the deal will be availible again on september 12th, better news is that WP8 devices will be reveiled by then and I can make a consious choice.

Doffen

So you told MS to do a discount for a certain time and AppDeals was able to pick that up somehow?

No, I have no idea how my app got this discount. According to my Dev account it’s supposed to be at $0.99, but it’s shown as free if I look at market availability.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, I have no idea how my app got this discount. According to my Dev account it’s supposed to be at $0.99, but it’s shown as free if I look at market availability.

Did someone copy your app or what? Who the heck alerted appdeals that it was free and for how long?

Also, I'm willing to bet your download count went through the roof. Appdeals is a really popular tool for wp owners.

Doffen

Very interesting. You gonna give em a call?

I will contact them over the weekend, but it’s not really a big deal since it was only a part of my High School final year project.

Did someone copy your app or what? Who the heck alerted appdeals that it was free and for how long?

Also, I'm willing to bet your download count went through the roof. Appdeals is a really popular tool for wp owners.

It’s defiantly not a copy, but it’s kind of cool thou. I’m also actually looking forward to see if this boosts the download count . We’ll see in 5 days.

Browsing through eBay trying to explore option for my wife smartphone, it seems number one complain about Windows Phone is the lack of app selections.

Lumia 800 hold their price the best (probably due to low supply) that and Titan 2. (Still 199 on contract at At&t). Lumia 900 can be have for between 160-190 used. Focus S sell for about 150 to 200 but not really selling at that price) and Focus Flash is 80-100.

I don't know if I want to get Focus S for cheap or should just get Lumia 900 used it's about the same price and Lumia is better phone, though I miss the lightness. I was going to let her used my Titan until my wife decide what phone she wants. (I think she would love the One X .. .and At&t just drop the price to 99.99 due to the fact everyone rather have Galaxy SIII).

Blackhead

Redarse
Motorola and Verizon schedule event for September 5th, promise 'the day's main event'

I don't even... wow... I thought Verizon was down for WP8 but they always show love for Motorola. Reminiscent of the kick in the pants Verizon gave to the GNexus last year.

The next four weeks are shaping up to be the most exciting in mobile for years and will be make-or-break for some of these companies.
  • Aug 29: Samsung reveals the Galaxy Note 2 and perhaps releases Jelly Bean for the Galaxy III & II which would be the fastest turn around time to date.
  • Sept 5: Nokia and Microsoft showcase the first WP8 devices
  • Sept 5: Verizon and Motorola reveal their first device(s) post Google acquisition. I predict it has an Intel chip
  • Sept 12: Apple announces the iPhone 5

thirty

Banned
Motorola and Verizon schedule event for September 5th, promise 'the day's main event'

I don't even... wow... I thought Verizon was down for WP8 but they always show love for Motorola. Reminiscent of the kick in the pants Verizon gave to the GNexus last year.

The next four weeks are shaping up to be the most exciting in mobile for years and will be make-or-break for some of these companies.
  • Aug 29: Samsung reveals the Galaxy Note 2 and perhaps releases Jelly Bean for the Galaxy III & II which would be the fastest turn around time to date.
  • Sept 5: Nokia and Microsoft showcase the first WP8 devices
  • Sept 5: Verizon and Motorola reveal their first device(s) post Google acquisition. I predict it has an Intel chip
  • Sept 12: Apple announces the iPhone 5
suppose to be for the no so secret droid razor hd. i doubt it will take any of nokia's thunder.

suppose to be for the no so secret droid razor hd. i doubt it will take any of nokia's thunder.

It's really confusing trying to tell if these guys are bluffing.

"Our event's gonna be dope!" - Samsung

"Our events gonna be better than your's, Samsung!" - Nokia

"Well our event will be the best!" - Motorola

"Bitch please." - Apple

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Isn't the Atrix HD basically the Razr HD already anyways? How is it going to be much different from what they already have out unless they can pull off Quad LTE + 2 gigs of RAM or something.

I haven't seen one in decent condition for less than $200. But I'm usually looking at BIN stuff only, and right now the cheapest is about $215 with a scratch on it.

I check completed auctions, but I really didn't look at condition. (Probably bad, especially the one at 160 - 180). I am surprise at Focus S being really low.

I want to switch to something lighter and smaller and really thinking either Focus S (Lumia is just as big and heavy as the Titan). I really should just wait till Nokia day and decide then. I have 3 phones that are off contract on my account.

One thing I do know is that if all your phones are working and has smooth performance, you should hold off on upgrading. I think it's now just slightly over two weeks before the press conferences start. Then you should tell yourself what you want the most first.

gcubed

Isn't the Atrix HD basically the Razr HD already anyways? How is it going to be much different from what they already have out unless they can pull off Quad LTE + 2 gigs of RAM or something.

ones on a carrier with decent lte coverage, the other is on ATT

Troll

Banned
Samsung's phones (again), but some more details and changes

http://wmpoweruser.com/specs-and-code-names-of-samsungs-windows-phone-8-handsets-leak/

Nice to see MicroSD support on both, maybe it'll end up a standard feature.

Samsung said:
The Samsung GT-I8750 (Odyssey)
4.8” HD Super Amoled display
8 megapixel camera (back)
1.9 megapixel (front)
16/32GB + Micro SD.
Dual Krait 1.5Ghz

The Samsung GT-I8370 (Marco)
4.0” WVGA Super AMOLED display
5 megapixel camera (back)
1.9 megapixel camera (front)
8GB + Micro SD.
Dual Krait 1.5Ghz

It's a start. Not anything to get too excited about.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ever since I held a GSIII in my hands, I'm starting to come around to the idea of a Samsung WP8 device. It really does look much better in person than in photos, and the screen is gorgeous, lack of Plus be damned. The 8gb internal is worrying me though, and since apps can't be stored on the SD card, I wouldn't buy a phone with that size internal memory. WP8 games are probably going to be fairly big.

Also, it would take a massive screwup by Nokia for me to pass up their device. Ugly design or lack of SD or something along those lines.

Vanillalite

Yo I've posted about this else where and I know others have brought it up, but I'm bringing it up again.

I wish Browser updates were decoupled from the OS. Granted I get if at some point you have to cut off older devices if newer browser iterations rely on different API hooks present in the newer OS version.

Outside of this though I wish browsers were regularly maintained on a better timeline. There's a reason Google decided to go with the new 6 week scheduling for smaller updates verses trying to push out one large browser update at a time. Mozilla has since followed this line as has Opera to a certain extent.

Yet in the mobile space we still seem hamstrung. MS, Apple, and Google all seem to only update the browser when they update their OS. Even Google releasing their new version of Chrome for Android which is separate from the stock Android browser (for now at least) has it a separate app, but they haven't done anything with it since it went "stable."

I see no reason newer Android, Windows 8, and iOS devices shouldn't be on a rolling release schedule for their browsers just like on the desktop.

PG2G

Does it really make a difference? Most of the releases don't have any noticeable differences. I always thought it was pretty silly.

I don't think they need to wait the whole year, but release when you have something worth releasing.

Vanillalite

Does it really make a difference? Most of the releases don't have any noticeable differences. I always thought it was pretty silly.

I don't think they need to wait the whole year, but release when you have something worth releasing.

There are security flaws that should be fixed almost bi-weekly not to mention enhancements.

Not only is it a bad way of thinking it's totally irresponsible as you're just leaving a seemingly an "unpatched" software out there seeing as browsers are just one of those things that's in constant need of updates.

It's stupid to do it the other way. Totally idiotic thinking. Your basically holding off on bug fixes and new issues to get everything else done. If one thing is holding you up everything else has to lie in wait for that one issue to get solved.

If it's the full OS with the kernel that's one thing as it can break production machines. That's why things like Ubuntu has LTS versions or things like Cent OS are still maintained verses just cutting and making everyone update to the new version.

This isn't the same with browsers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom