• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Releasing to fix a critical bug is releasing when you have something worth releasing. This was getting done long before Mozilla and Google went crazy. Releasing because it's been 6 weeks is silly to me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Releasing to fix a critical bug is releasing when you have something worth releasing. This was getting done long before Mozilla and Google went crazy. Releasing because it's been 6 weeks is silly to me.

They don't even release bug fixes as we go though.

Why is it silly? They should just purposefully hold things back that are done because why again? That seems fucking asinine.

There's a nice blog post about this very thing from the Chromium team that can be read HERE

PG2G

I guess the development cycle makes sense when you consider that Chrome comes from a company that releases everything with a beta tag and an Firefox from an open source group.

It is a very engineer driven way of doing things, which isn't always going to be the best way of doing things.

hwalker84

Yo I've posted about this else where and I know others have brought it up, but I'm bringing it up again.

I wish Browser updates were decoupled from the OS. Granted I get if at some point you have to cut off older devices if newer browser iterations rely on different API hooks present in the newer OS version.

Outside of this though I wish browsers were regularly maintained on a better timeline. There's a reason Google decided to go with the new 6 week scheduling for smaller updates verses trying to push out one large browser update at a time. Mozilla has since followed this line as has Opera to a certain extent.

Yet in the mobile space we still seem hamstrung. MS, Apple, and Google all seem to only update the browser when they update their OS. Even Google releasing their new version of Chrome for Android which is separate from the stock Android browser (for now at least) has it a separate app, but they haven't done anything with it since it went "stable."

I see no reason newer Android, Windows 8, and iOS devices shouldn't be on a rolling release schedule for their browsers just like on the desktop.
The browser was removed from the OS with Tango Microsoft didn't do shit with it.

PG2G

Why must they give us hope? 9/5 can't come soon enough

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/08/21/nokia-teasing-lumia-pureview/

Screen-Shot-2012-08-21-at-9.51.43-PM-600x524.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A Nokia with full on Pureview would be a disaster for brotkasten. How the hell is he supposed to keep using his Galaxy Nexus for another year if this thing is out there this fall?

And then brettison has to pretend that his One X is somehow adequate when there is a phone with the same exact specs as his, but with Pureview and Apollo? Stop this madness Nokia, a lot of people here made their plans assuming Pureview is next year!

derFeef

A Nokia with full on Pureview would be a disaster for brotkasten. How the hell is he supposed to keep using his Galaxy Nexus for another year if this thing is out there this fall?

And then brettison has to pretend that his One X is somehow adequate when there is a phone with the same exact specs as his, but with Pureview and Apollo? Stop this madness Nokia, a lot of people here made their plans assuming Pureview is next year!

DO IT Nokia! Meltdowns everywhere.

Don't worry about me. I'm not interested in a Quasimodo phone.

PG2G

ZTE Windows Phone 8 handsets won't arrive until late 2013

"Although we haven't announced anything yet, I can confirm that ZTE's first Windows Phone 8 handsets will be arriving towards middle-late 2013,' Edwards said.

but did tell us that the company is looking to stick to the "middle ground" in a bid to offer consumers cheap alternatives to products from "tier one" manufacturers.

I doubt any of us care, but it would have been nice to have them in the Chinese market. I wonder if there is something they are waiting for (e.g. additional SoC support)? Oh well, there is always Huawei.

Vanillalite

Gotta deliver on that screen. I can't go back to pentile Amoled. Call me a snob now, but it's true.

Also I need me some apps. Gotten to use to using a ton of shit that wasn't in the WP market. Deliver on all of that and I could sell out and trade up off contract.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Gotta deliver on that screen. I can't go back to pentile Amoled. Call me a snob now, but it's true.

I was all with you there, given that I use a "plus" screen now and having seen the gorgeous One X screen, but the HD screen on the GSIII is pretty much flawless for me. Its like, I know it's pentile, but my eyes just can't see it at HD resolution. I don't even know why, but I can't, so I'll have to see the Nokia in person before making the same determination,although I'd probably ignore that for a Pureview phone. I have young kids, I needs me a badass camera.

dLMN8R

Would a 20 MP PureView really be that impressive? The Titan II already got 16 MP and the IQ isn't even bad.

It's not the megapixels, it's the image quality thanks to the size of the sensor. The Titan II doesn't take as good of shots as competing phones even with the excessive 16 MP count.

thirty

Banned
gimme a large sensor 8mp with 1080p video and rich recording and i'd be happy. I know i'd lose zoom but that's not important to me, image quality and low light performance is.

thirty

Banned
btw, I just remembered that the carriers aren't listed in the nokia/ms announcement? hopefully that means multiple carriers will carry nokia wp8 devices. let's hope Verizon is in the fold.

Blackhead

Redarse
I wouldn't be satisfied with a 20 MP Pureview. The main reason I'm interested in the Pureview line is the zoom feature and that's directly tied to the number of MP.

btw, I just remembered that the carriers aren't listed in the nokia/ms announcement? hopefully that means multiple carriers will carry nokia wp8 devices. let's hope Verizon is in the fold.
The was a rumor a while back that Nokia was going to try exclusive partners in each region Europe, starting with Orange in france...

Edit: Nokia reportedly pursuing exclusive carrier deals for Windows Phone 8 launch in Europe | The Verge

Troll

Banned
I wouldn't be satisfied with a 20 MP Pureview. The main reason I'm interested in the Pureview line is the zoom feature and that's directly tied to the number of MP.

It would still be in the running for the best camera on a phone, it just obviously wouldn't be as good as the existing Pureview.

Commodore

Man, that Apple lawyer arguing against Samsung today holding up a Nokia Lumia and saying, "Not every phone has to look like an iPhone" is RIPE for exploitation by Microsoft/Nokia.

I mean, if was going to conjure up a fantasy ad, it'd look something like this:

Fade in, bring in Parnell from the Beta test Nokia ads as he motions the viewer to quickly follow him toward some court doors, "Hello there, we're about to interrupt the closing arguments between the two greatest titans in mobile phones to bring you breaking news."

He motions forward and he bursts into the courtroom, as the camera zooms in as the Apple lawyer holds up a cyan Nokia Lumia and exclaims, "Not every phone has to look like an iPhone."

Fade out to Parnell who just shrugs and gives a nice smug grin.

Cut to black, fade into cyan, revealing the tagline, "Think Different." With AD/DC playing or something.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My brother's phone is doing something really weird I've never experienced before. When someone calls, it says the person's name out loud with the ringtone in the background as well. How do we get it to stop?

Edit: I found it: Ease of Access settings

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My brother's phone is doing something really weird I've never experienced before. When someone calls, it says the person's name out loud with the ringtone in the background as well. How do we get it to stop?

Edit: I found it: Ease of Access settings

"EROTIC MASSAGE COLLECTIONS DEPT CALLING!"

Vanillalite

gimme a large sensor 8mp with 1080p video and rich recording and i'd be happy. I know i'd lose zoom but that's not important to me, image quality and low light performance is.

This! IQ and Low Light are the biggest two issues right now. So far the iPhone tends to lead in this categories, but even then it's got a long way to go.

Low light in particular for a lot of camera phones is atrocious at the best of times.

snap0212

We know a whole lot about both already, what else would it take on either side?
An announcement that Microsoft will roll out podcasts and audiobook support in Europe would be enough for me to get another WP in October/November. And by audiobook, I mean real audiobooks and not that audible app that doesn't even work properly.

Seriously, that's all I want for now and that's all Microsoft needs to do to keep me in their ecosystem.

An announcement that Microsoft will roll out podcasts and audiobook support in Europe would be enough for me to get another WP in October/November. And by audiobook, I mean real audiobooks and not that audible app that doesn't even work properly.

Seriously, that's all I want for now and that's all Microsoft needs to do to keep me in their ecosystem.

No.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Eldar is saying that the 4.7" Nokia Phi is thinner than the 800 and 900, has a microSD slot and that the battery only lasts a day.

He also said that phone will get rave reviews, but will still be overshadowed by the iPhone 5.

Eldar is saying that the 4.7" Nokia Phi is thinner than the 800 and 900, has a microSD slot and that the battery only lasts a day.

He also said that phone will get rave reviews, but will still be overshadowed by the iPhone 5.
Eldar is not a source and mentioning him should end in a ban.

By "only lasts a day", what kind of usage? Because the 900's battery basically only lasts a day too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom