• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could get a Lumia 710 at T-Mobile if it's unlimited data you're looking for.

Nah, I'm in it for the deep discounts and family plan. Sprint has the best prices for my usage profile by far. And believe it or not, their service has been great the last 6 years that I've had them.

I don't think I will make the switch (despite being primarily a Microsoft platform developer in my day job), but I wanted to see one in person and see how I felt about it.

My Titan has been rebooting by itself the last few days. Not sure why so I decided to update it to Tango this morning. Let hope that help.

The phone has been loosing data connection after plane mode or when connection is lost for a long time so At&t finally send me replacement phone but for some reason even it's the exact same phone Zune keep telling driver is not found or not compatible ...

My Titan has been rebooting by itself the last few days. Not sure why so I decided to update it to Tango this morning. Let hope that help.

The phone has been loosing data connection after plane mode or when connection is lost for a long time so At&t finally send me replacement phone but for some reason even it's the exact same phone Zune keep telling driver is not found or not compatible ...

You're supposed to buy a new phone, not try to fix your broken one. You're in luck though, new phones are coming out in a month!

AnkitT

I dunno whats happening with my lumia. If I play music through headphones, and simultaneously browse the web(or doing anything really), the device freezes up after a certain while. It takes about 3 mins to restart. Its really starting to bug me, and the nokia care folk aren't doing anything about it.

Frost_Ace

I dunno whats happening with my lumia. If I play music through headphones, and simultaneously browse the web(or doing anything really), the device freezes up after a certain while. It takes about 3 mins to restart. Its really starting to bug me, and the nokia care folk aren't doing anything about it.

It happens to me as well :(

fucking lumia 800, buggiest device of all times.

Milchjon

Happens to me too, but only with Nokia Music.

It happens to me as well :(

fucking lumia 800, buggiest device of all times.

Happens to me too, but only with Nokia Music.

If the problem still exists after a factory reset (do so from the about page), get a replacement.

Can you blame them? iPhone sells, Windows Phone doesn't. It's that simple. It would be smarter to wait and see how WP8 is received by the marker than to invest in it already.

Don't forget that while WP is an impressive product, it isn't relevant (yet).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Don't forget that while WP is an impressive product, it isn't relevant (yet).

That's not true. The Lumia 900 has sold well for att and the 710 is doing fine at t-mobile. Not every phone sold by these carriers is going to do iPhone/samsung numbers, and you don't have to sell crazy numbers of untits to be "relevant".

gcubed

it was relevant enough for ATT to offer the next generation of it. I expect the bare minimum from Verizon... if you even get that. Verizon has reversed WP plans twice now, i won't believe their support until its sitting on the shelf in their stores.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Define well.

Better than the One X?

Admittedly, that's based on sales ranks and stuff like that, but it seems probable.

I mean, you have the iPhone, sgs3, and then what else is selling? Its pretty absurd to say the Lumia line is not relevant at at&t, what are you basing that on? If sprint had a lumia line who's to say it wouldn't sell at a similar clip behind the iPhone, evo line, and sgs3?

gcubed

Better than the One X?

Admittedly, that's based on sales ranks and stuff like that, but it seems probable.

I mean, you have the iPhone, sgs3, and then what else is selling? Its pretty absurd to say the Lumia line is not relevant at at&t, what are you basing that on? If sprint had a lumia line who's to say it wouldn't sell at a similar clip behind the iPhone, evo line, and sgs3?

well now you are on your own

Better than the One X?

I'm not American, so I don't know Sprint, ATT, Verizon and all the other carriers and how big they are. From what I read, I think ATT is probably one of the biggest in the USA, and their marketing push proved that. I don't think Sprint could affort that kind of marketing. I suppose they can take advantage of ATT marketing the shit out of it and them simply profiting from it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Lumia not the only Windows Phone ATT is selling. How well did the titan II do?

I guess that out of all Windows Phones the safest bet for Sprint would be the Lumia. But again, it runs an OS that is irrelevant in the smartphone market.
Like I said, I don't blame them for not supporting Windows Phone 8. That's a different discussion that should they sell Nokia Lumia.

PS: @the bolded part. I said Windows Phone isn't relevant, not Nokia Lumia.

Nokia Phi

M6FJt.png

Today, we also managed to find a Nokia design patent from the US Patent and Trademark Office website, only recently granted two days ago on August 21. Check it out below:

On first look it might resemble the Nokia Lumia 800 or 900, however upon closer inspection of details such as the location of the speaker and the width of the screen’s edge reveals that this is actually the Nokia “Phi”.
http://www.liveside.net/2012/08/23/nokia-phi-windows-phone-8-device-confirmed-via-design-patent/

Meeeeeeehhh.

Commodore

http://www.wpcentral.com/report-nokia-unveil-arrow-and-phi-windows-phone-8-devices-att

Disappointed their will be only 2 devices shown.

They really need Verizon to push a device hard. I know they say Verizon will get a device this year so I hope its a Nokia Hero device.

Reading rumors this morning the Verizon device, codenamed Atlas, will possibly be a mid grade device. Don't like the sound of that. Was hoping they'd have an alternate designed hero device to compete with the Phi that AT&T is apparently getting.

PG2G

The "mid"-sized tile is going to be massive on a 4.7" screen -_-

Pretty sure I won't want the phi, much too big. The 900 is big enough, 4" would be ideal.

You're going to have to go beyond 4" if you want a HD display. 4.3" is probably the smallest I'd consider

I'm not American, so I don't know Sprint, ATT, Verizon and all the other carriers and how big they are. From what I read, I think ATT is probably one of the biggest in the USA, and their marketing push proved that. I don't think Sprint could affort that kind of marketing. I suppose they can take advantage of ATT marketing the shit out of it and them simply profiting from it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Lumia not the only Windows Phone ATT is selling. How well did the titan II do?

I guess that out of all Windows Phones the safest bet for Sprint would be the Lumia. But again, it runs an OS that is irrelevant in the smartphone market.
Like I said, I don't blame them for not supporting Windows Phone 8. That's a different discussion that should they sell Nokia Lumia.

PS: @the bolded part. I said Windows Phone isn't relevant, not Nokia Lumia.

Verizon is the largest and probably the best of the four carriers but it also vary by region. In my area, Verizon is definitely more popular and for Windows Phone not to be on it is really detrimental to the OS. Verizon is doing great having both the best Androids devices and iPhone they really don't need Windows Phone. The last joint venture with Microsoft end up pretty badly so it' snot surprise.

At&t never have a strong Android devices until recently (after they lost iPhone exclusivity). Lumia did get push hard by their stores the first few months but combination of old tech and old OS that in need of keeping up with new advancement make it hard for them to push especially with SGIII and the One. They are the only carrier with the most Windows Phone next to T-Mobile, beside Titan II they also sold Focus 2 and Focus Flash (I think this was recently removed). They used to have Nokia Lumia up front but now iPhone has move back to the front of the store. At&t probably want to have strong 2nd line phone since they are not well known for the Android to counter Verizon which is probably why the support is the way it is.

T-Mo and Sprint are the smaller of the two. Sprint went all in with iPhone and that is the only phone they want to promote so that explain the lack of Windows Phone for them. They spend lot of money to get iPhone.

I just saw a banner on NeoGaf, the One X has drop to 19.99 with contract. That's even cheaper than Lumia (still 49.99). It's sad to see One X doing so bad, it's a really pretty phone. I really wouldn't mind One-X version of Windows Phone.

giga

Amazon just announced a Sep 6 event. Looks like they're buying Nokia and putting their android fork on it. No wonder the stock is up.

Commodore

Amazon just announced a Sep 6 event. Looks like they're buying Nokia and putting their android fork on it. No wonder the stock is up.

Holy shit, we are going to loose some tech bloggers that week. So many announcements. Some may die trying to cover it all.

giga

Holy shit, we are going to loose some tech bloggers that week. So many announcements. Some may die trying to cover it all.
It's in LA too. Isn't the Sep 5 one in NYC? These guys won't be happy.

Sep 5: WP8
Sept 5 Moto (probably meh)
Sep 6: Amazon/Nokia purchase
Sept 12: The New iPhone®

JaggedSac

That is probably just a general design patent for the Lumia line. I don't really see the need to patent every variation of a device with curved lengthwise sides.

Is that your conjecture? Or is that the scuttlebutt?

PG2G

It's in LA too. Isn't the Sep 5 one in NYC? These guys won't be happy.

Sep 5: WP8
Sept 5 Moto (probably meh)
Sep 6: Amazon/Nokia purchase
Sept 12: The New iPhone®

Don't forget Nintendo on the 13th (I think). Though who cares :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom