• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck you AT&T. Fuck you Microsoft for allowing AT&T to remove apps.

I'm definitely not getting LTE speeds. God I fucking hate AT&T sometimes.

Why the hell do people want true multi-tasking on your phone? The pseudo-multitasking is fine as is for conserving batterylife. I swear its only Android people that complain about true multi-tasking.

So far, Windows Phone is not quite up there with iOS. I put it above Android as far as a phone OS goes. I haven't used ICS yet, apparently only 2% of Android users have. The 16GB of onboard storage is quite disappointing, Apollo is going to change that I assume? The camera, for Nokia being touted as the best as far as phones go isn't as detail as the shots I compared with my 4S. Overall though, at $99, this is a great phone. Would I actually buy one? No, I have too much invested into Apple's ecosystem.

i can only speak for myself, but i like to IRC on my phone. i did it with WM5/6.

bedlamite

Native code is going to give developers a huge boost. Epic Games themselves have said they wouldn't develop for WP7 as long as they didn't have access to native code; WP8 removes this barrier.

The 900's disappointing camera should receive software fixes quickly, the 800 also launched with a whole host of problems (mediocre camera, poor audio output and battery life) and Nokia has released a number of patches over 1-2 months which've fixed pretty much everything.

Native code is going to give developers a huge boost. Epic Games themselves have said they wouldn't develop for WP7 as long as they didn't have access to native code; WP8 removes this barrier.

The 900's disappointing camera should receive software fixes quickly, the 800 also launched with a whole host of problems (mediocre camera, poor audio output and battery life) and Nokia has released a number of patches over 1-2 months which've fixed pretty much everything.

Except the 900 is on AT&T, so they won't push any of those updates!

Razdek

Banned
Fuck you AT&T. Fuck you Microsoft for allowing AT&T to remove apps.

I'm definitely not getting LTE speeds. God I fucking hate AT&T sometimes.

Why the hell do people want true multi-tasking on your phone? The pseudo-multitasking is fine as is for conserving batterylife. I swear its only Android people that complain about true multi-tasking.

So far, Windows Phone is not quite up there with iOS. I put it above Android as far as a phone OS goes. I haven't used ICS yet, apparently only 2% of Android users have. The 16GB of onboard storage is quite disappointing, Apollo is going to change that I assume? The camera, for Nokia being touted as the best as far as phones go isn't as detail as the shots I compared with my 4S. Overall though, at $99, this is a great phone. Would I actually buy one? No, I have too much invested into Apple's ecosystem.

I'd like true multi-tasking because the way it's implemented right now is not very good. As for battery life I haven't noticed a difference between my Android phone and WP so to have WP use a worse implementation of it doesn't make sense to me as it's really not doing too much to save battery. Allowing apps to update every 30 mins or so just isn't cutting it and ruins the experience.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'd like true multi-tasking because the way it's implemented right now is not very good. As for battery life I haven't noticed a difference between my Android phone and WP so to have WP use a worse implementation of it doesn't make sense to me as it's really not doing too much to save battery. Allowing apps to update every 30 mins or so just isn't cutting it and ruins the experience.

They all their drawbacks, iOS has it setup right. I can run Pandora in the background while I do other things with iOS. Well WP doesn't have a native Pandora app so there goes that.

ChanHuk

Banned
I am pretty sure you can run spotify/zunepass in the background

Those aren't free apps, lack of storage space makes it even worse. Truth is WP7 is left behind as far as apps development goes. I think this Microsoft giveaway is gonna change things up, brilliant marketing to be honest.

derFeef

Those aren't free apps, lack of storage space makes it even worse. Truth is WP7 is left behind as far as apps development goes. I think this Microsoft giveaway is gonna change things up, brilliant marketing to be honest.

You should really state what feature you are going to argue with ;)
I use TuneIN a lot. Free, streaming, has everything.

If anyone is interested in writing a 250 word essay, Microsoft is giving away a lot of stuff.
Link
No chance I follow through on something like this maybe some of you that are students could take a stab at it.
Ten (10) Grand Prizes: One (1) Graduation Bundle, which consists of: One (1) laptop (laptop make, model, manufacturer, and all other aspects of the laptop are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor); one (1) copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2010 software (software edition, features, and all other aspects of the Microsoft Office software are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor); one (1) laptop bag (laptop bag make, model, manufacturer, and all other aspects of the laptop bag are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor); one (1) $250 Microsoft Store gift card; one (1) 250GB Xbox 360® with Kinect; three (3) Xbox 360® video games (video game titles, editions, manufacturers, and all other aspects of the video games are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor); and $1,287.88, awarded in the form of a corporate check intended to assist with taxes associated with acceptance of the prize. The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each Grand Prize is $3,787.88.

At this moment in time, writing about Windows Phone helps you out is probably the best way to go.

edit-US only

bedlamite

Those aren't free apps,
Like DerFeef said, Tunein works very well, I use it for local radio and that's free. BTW Lumia handsets also have Nokia Music, which is supposed to be pretty good. My telco has blocked it for licensing reasons which is fucking annoying but my wife's unbranded 800 has it, it works quite well if you don't feel like paying for a streaming service.

tbh a Zune Pass sub is well worth the monthly asking price, if an app is worth the money I've no qualms about putting down cash for it. The reluctance of Android users to pay for apps has forced developers to price their apps for free and then infest their hard work with IAP systems and unsightly ads, damn shame.

derFeef

Hmmm I wonder if I should get just the 800 (white available in three days as upgrade). The 900 seems really too big for my taste and the FFC is a thing I will never use. Anything speaking against it?

Fjolle

Hmmm I wonder if I should get just the 800 (white available in three days as upgrade). The 900 seems really too big for my taste and the FFC is a thing I will never use. Anything speaking against it?

Well. It is a BETA smartphone. Most of the kinks should be worked out with the latest update, which i haven't gotten yet (Damn you T-mobile DE).

Other than that it is an awesome phone.

Milchjon

It's an awesome phone, although the battery life of mine is still lacking. I hope the update fixes that, as reports suggest. (Damn you, T-Mobile DE!)

It also looks even better than the 900.

But I'm not sure I'd rule out using the FFC, you never know.

It's an awesome phone, although the battery life of mine is still lacking. I hope the update fixes that, as reports suggest. (Damn you, T-Mobile DE!)

It also looks even better than the 900.

But I'm not sure I'd rule out using the FFC, you never know.

I have yet to use my FFC on my Titan. I am thinking about picking up the 800 also ... after the huge Titan for the last few months I think I rather have a smaller phone.

Oh, the 800 doesn't have gyro sensor which is kinda odd..

Fjolle

Your T-Mobile issues make me worry (T-Mobile AT here). I am sure you can force the update, right?

I read something about installing the update from another model through navifirm, but i haven't bothered trying it. It should come out tomorrow or next Wednesday anyway.
I think that Nokia told the operators to have it approved by the 18th, and then just released it early if the operators were fast to approve of it.

Milchjon

Your T-Mobile issues make me worry (T-Mobile AT here). I am sure you can force the update, right?

It's coming, April 18th at the latest afaik. But there was a list of carriers who approved the update and T-Mobile was the only one lagging behind.

Yeah, the lack of a gyro sensor is odd, but so far it hasn't bothered me. I think the directions in Wikitude were slightly off, but I haven't noticed anything else.

giga

What the bloody fuck? I don't have the contacts transfer app nor can I find it in the marketplace.
I haven't had to "transfer" any contacts since I started syncing my contacts to iCloud or Gmail. That's what you really should be doing so you don't have to transfer anything whenever you get a new device or want to see your contacts synced across different devices or the web.

derFeef

Okay cool guys, thanks for the infos. I guess I will jump on the white 800 then. The white 900 is propably so far away that I would rather wait for Apollo ;)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Poor Vlad. Looks like he was ordered to calm the rabid Windows Phone fanboys down.

Competition is king: why Nokia and Microsoft are the perfect match
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2934636/nokia-windows-phone-competition-editorial

This just screams "DAMAGE CONTROL!" lol

So now that the 900 is out beyond the emerging markets getting their "Tango" phones there aren't any announced phones on the horizon.

I wonder how long MS and Nokia will just roll on the 900 hype verses teasing us on the next big thing both in terms of Apollo and the next big phone from Nokia. I can't really think of anything coming up conference wise so I'd assume they'd have to release info some other way.

Fjolle

I don't know if they will have some models between now and Apollo, but i'm sure that Nokia (and the other ones..) will have something big for the WP8 launch in October.

I would guess that maybe they will do it the same way as last year, and announce the OS in late May. Then the manufacturers can announce the phones in June-July?

E: But it's April and we haven't seen Tango yet... :/

PG2G

This just screams "DAMAGE CONTROL!" lol

So now that the 900 is out beyond the emerging markets getting their "Tango" phones there aren't any announced phones on the horizon.

I wonder how long MS and Nokia will just roll on the 900 hype verses teasing us on the next big thing both in terms of Apollo and the next big phone from Nokia. I can't really think of anything coming up conference wise so I'd assume they'd have to release info some other way.

Mary Jo Foley said her sources are saying May for Apollo info

hwalker84

The VVM and incredibly improved reception alone made the purchase worth it coming from my Titan.

So I get into my office today and I get an IM "Hey I just got a new phone can you set it up for me?" I'm thinking to myself could someone else at work have gotten a 900? Surely enough that's what I happened.

Two things that need to be banished ASAP.
1.) The 20MB download limit over the Cellular network
2.) The download limit over WIFI without being plugged in

JaggedSac

What is #2?

#1 should definitely be done away with. If I am cool with using my data for that, I don't see a problem with allowing it. Perhaps throw up a warning about the file size.

Also, I think I have figured out what my issue was with updates showing up on my marketplace tile but when I go to the marketplace, there are no updates. It appears that I need to be on WiFi for some of the updates. When I am on WiFi, the updates always appear. Anyone else notice this?

hwalker84

What is #2?

#1 should definitely be done away with. If I am cool with using my data for that, I don't see a problem with allowing it. Perhaps throw up a warning about the file size.

Also, I think I have figured out what my issue was with updates showing up on my marketplace tile but when I go to the marketplace, there are no updates. It appears that I need to be on WiFi for some of the updates. When I am on WiFi, the updates always appear. Anyone else notice this?
Theres still a download limit over WIFI unless your phone is plugged into a power source. I think its 100MB's maybe lower. I don't think it should exist at all if connected to WIFI plugged in or not.

The VVM and incredibly improved reception alone made the purchase worth it coming from my Titan.

So I get into my office today and I get an IM "Hey I just got a new phone can you set it up for me?" I'm thinking to myself could someone else at work have gotten a 900? Surely enough that's what I happened.

IIRC, 1 is because carriers were bitching like no other....

no idea on why 2 happens. I don't think I've ever run into that.

ChanHuk

Banned
The display is really nice on this Nokia, colors are really vibrant and have a nice pop. Resolution on the other hand pisses me off. Is there a Flipboard like app for WP?

thirty

Banned
They all their drawbacks, iOS has it setup right. I can run Pandora in the background while I do other things with iOS. Well WP doesn't have a native Pandora app so there goes that.

metro radio is a 3rd party pandora app, i run that in the background just fine.

hwalker84

IIRC, 1 is because carriers were bitching like no other....

no idea on why 2 happens. I don't think I've ever run into that.

If you download any maps for Navigation apps it will ask you to plug in your phone and connect to WIFI. I've also encountered this with games too. Its an annoying limitation which I don't understand why it's there in the first place.

Oh another thing. I'm getting 2-3 bars in my Home now where before I only had 1. Love the reception on this thing.

PG2G

Windows Phone is setup similar to iOS, but iOS allows for a few more styles of background apps. Windows 8 metro apps are actually the same way. Windows Phone does support background audio, it also supports background file transfers and a couple other things.

Hopefully Windows Phone 8 will expand on this. Here is a list of what is supported in Windows 8 Metro, I think we can use this as a idea of what to expect from WP8.

Playing music
Downloading a file from or uploading it to a website
Keeping live tiles alive with fresh content
Printing
Receiving a VoIP call
Receiving an instant message
Receiving an email
Sharing content (like uploading photos to Facebook)
Synchronizing content with a tethered device (like syncing photos)

If you download any maps for Navigation apps it will ask you to plug in your phone and connect to WIFI. I've also encountered this with games too. Its an annoying limitation which I don't understand why it's there in the first place.

That's atrocious. If you're on wifi, there should be no throttle. I wanna know who I have to talk to get that fixed. Seems like something that should have been alleviated with Mango...

ChanHuk

Banned
That's atrocious. If you're on wifi, there should be no throttle. I wanna know who I have to talk to get that fixed. Seems like something that should have been alleviated with Mango...

Oddly, I just downloaded the Nokia Drive app and downloaded the California map without it being plugged in. It was about 150MB.

thirty

Banned
one thing i hate is how windows phone handles multitasking for workout apps like endomondo. you can only use the app with background music. if you go into checking text, a website, etc, the workout app will pause. this is a deal breaker for many folks who live and die with these workout apps.

Tomcat

one thing i hate is how windows phone handles multitasking for workout apps like endomondo. you can only use the app with background music. if you go into checking text, a website, etc, the workout app will pause. this is a deal breaker for many folks who live and die with these workout apps.

are you sure because with the new edmondo 6.0 and sports tracker that doesnt happen

PG2G

are you sure because with the new edmondo 6.0 and sports tracker that doesnt happen

Applications don't have access to location services in the background so if you leave the app to do something else, it gets paused and can't continue to track.

Applications don't have access to location services in the background so if you leave the app to do something else, it gets paused and can't continue to track.

I don't think this is true. I wrote an app that tracked my GPS location every 30 minutes in the background, and uploaded it to a server as a part of a student project.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Use LastFM instead. That's a natively coded MS App, and unlike other platforms MS made a deal to make it free in WP7. It's the perfect Pandora alternative.

ChanHuk

Banned
Contemplating on whether I should go back to Microsoft and see if I can get the black Lumia 900 instead. The cyan really is loud.

So got data to work again, now it's not working again. Swapped the SIM into my 4S and back to the Lumia and it went kaput again. I'm guessing its an AT&T issue.

giga

I don't think this is true. I wrote an app that tracked my GPS location every 30 minutes in the background, and uploaded it to a server as a part of a student project.
That's a periodic agent. He's talking about continuous location tracking, not just at an interval of 30 minutes.

frontieruk

The key word is every 30 minutes.

running an application that continues to run while the user uses other applications on the device, then this is not possible. In the Mango build of the operating system you can create background agents, but these only run every 30 minutes and only for 15 seconds as described on MSDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom