• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked mine up from Rogers today. The screen looks noticeably bigger than my Focus does to me. I haven't done much with it other than syncing my accounts and installing a few of my most important apps, but I'll have to spend some time tonight re-installing the rest and trying to get them configured correctly.

The only issue I've had so far is that it isn't letting my turn on Internet Sharing, which was working previously on my Focus. I guess I'll have to call Rogers tonight to see if something is missing on my account.

Cool. Look forward to some more of your impressions and your thoughts on the black. Pretty sure I could live with the black because I can foresee myself getting a WP8 next year anyways. I need to go to Rogers and check the phone out.

I don't have internet sharing on my Focus.

gcubed

Nope, you're wrong. They ARE talking about the last six months. Because they JUST started lowering the ecosystem and OS score for WP7. Meanwhile, no such deductions for ICS, even though both have essentially been doing bug fixes for the past 6 months. If they meant to score the ecosystem and OS this low all along, why not start at Mango? And if you don't start at Mango, and draw the line in the sand THIS WEEK, then how do you justify only lowering wp7 scores if the other ecosystems haven't moved in the last 6 months either.

Let me make it more visual. Suppose this is how the Verge scored phones last fall (when ICS, iOS5, and Mango were released):

Mango OS: 7
iOS5: 9
ICS: 8

Now, six months later they have this:

Mango OS: 5

Why dock WP7's ecosystem/OS score and NOT the new HTC whatchamacallit Android phone's ecosystem and OS' score? What progress has Google or Apple made so their score stays the same while, just this past week, you're going to start deducting points for WP7?

I figured that was explained by saying it was time to stop giving the OS a pass due to its age?

JaggedSac

I figured that was explained by saying it was time to stop giving the OS a pass due to its age?

It's so old that the reviewer can't even remember where to go for "Saved Pictures". Perhaps it is time we stopped giving The Verge a break because they are new.

topolsky-wp.jpg

Just curious, what is this all about?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Nope, you're wrong. They ARE talking about the last six months. Because they JUST started lowering the ecosystem and OS score for WP7. Meanwhile, no such deductions for ICS, even though both have essentially been doing bug fixes for the past 6 months. If they meant to score the ecosystem and OS this low all along, why not start at Mango? And if you don't start at Mango, and draw the line in the sand THIS WEEK, then how do you justify only lowering wp7 scores if the other ecosystems haven't moved in the last 6 months either.

Let me make it more visual. Suppose this is how the Verge scored phones last fall (when ICS, iOS5, and Mango were released):

Mango OS: 7

Now, six months later they have this:

Mango OS: 5

Why dock WP7's ecosystem/OS score and NOT the new HTC whatchamacallit Android phone's ecosystem and OS' score? What progress has Google or Apple made so their score stays the same while, just this past week, you're going to start deducting points for WP7?

before they reviewed the lumias the OS was getting a solid 8, but then BAM OS is suddenly crap. EVEN the ecosystem was getting a constant pass.

http://imgur.com/a/dBeJE

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just curious, what is this all about?
Josh said in the podcast that you couldn't copy text from the email app. But back off! You don't know anything about him and he knows more about tech than you do. He even built a PC from spare parts back in college.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Josh said in the podcast that you couldn't copy text from the email app. But back off! You don't know anything about him and he knows more about tech than you do. He even built a PC from spare parts back in college.

no before his teens. he said that he went full mac in his teens.

Commodore

Holy shit. Some of those comments remind me of the glory days of webOS. They're even talking about fart apps!

Hah! Bring Fart apps into a mobile phone talkback are the equivalent of mentioning someone is Hitler in an internet argument. It's now funny.

Also to Van's recent comments on the fairness of the last two Verge scores:

PcXMp.gif

Milchjon

My first reaction to those reviews was something like "Well, that's like, his opinion, man", but some of the stuff that's been mentioned really make this thing sound like a trainwreck.

I also can't get over the fact that all the pics of the Lumia 900 were cyan with a magenta theme. Way to make the most beautiful phone look like a toy.

Razdek

Banned
If anything with these reviews I hope it sends Microsoft a message that they need to work harder and that Apollo needs to be a huge upgrade and not an incremental one.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If anything with these reviews I hope it sends Microsoft a message that they need to work harder and that Apollo needs to be a huge upgrade and not an incremental one.

The reviews for the Lumia have been overwhelmingly positive. And MS is working extremely hard on Apollo from all accounts. I think everyone here agrees that MS needs to iterate faster ,and while that may have been Josh's point, it was clumsily and heavy handedly delivered in the incorrect format (a review rather than an editorial).

Circle T

Ok, yea I'm officially leaving now. I was hanging around just in case anyone had any questions or issues that I might have helped with (like ChanHuk last night), but this is too much. This website, which most of you now claim has no relevance or reputation, sure has you guys worked up. Personally, I would just ignore the site and move on if something like that bothered me, but oh well. C'est la vie. Au revoir.

Milchjon

Personally, The Verge is relevant to me, and I'd guess it's relevant to a lot of others, so I don't see how we're doing that. Oh well, I hope you're at least enjoying your phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
bye dude. You've been saying you were leaving for a while now. I for one would love to have you around but if animated discussions on a review of the most anticipated wp7 device ever bothers you so much, I'm not sure how you lasted this long on gaf, much less this thread.

dream

The part I do agree with is the implication that the Titan 2 should have received a much lower score than the Lumia 900. 800x480 on a 4.7" screen is just stupid.

JaggedSac

lol

dream said:
The part I do agree with is the implication that the Titan 2 should have received a much lower score than the Lumia 900. 800x480 on a 4.7" screen is just stupid.

Actually, it is quite fine. Well, until you put a magnifier up to it. I use that screen everyday.

I personally kinda liked The Verge, and still do, but this review fiasco doesn't inspire confidence. It's no different from game reviews where they obviously haven't played the game all the way through or jump in without bothering to learn anything.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Someone should tell Josh to pin the Help+How To app to the start menu and refer to it next time. Its ok to read how the phone works even if you've built a PC in the 90's.

Finally saw an ad on tv. The ATT ad was just on ESPN.

Edit-Tonight must be the start of the onslaught, 15 minutes later the beta test is over commercial just aired on ESPN.

I honestly didn't even know Windows Phone had this many fans to get riled up like this.

It is pretty hilarious though, I can't wait until Joshua reviews a WP8 handset.

I honestly didn't even know Windows Phone had this many fans to get riled up like this.

It is pretty hilarious though, I can't wait until Joshua reviews a WP8 handset.

It's actually just me and my alt accounts. Couldn't find anyone else in the office to do the heavy lifting

Sean

Banned
Wow, truly awesome and commendable customer service by Nokia here. All Lumia 900 owners get $100 credit:

However, soon after AT&T began selling this flagship device, we identified a software issue. In short, a memory management issue was discovered that could, in some cases, lead to loss of data connectivity. As a proactive and prudent measure, we decided, together with AT&T, to take immediate action. We have identified the issue, and have developed a solution.

If you have already purchased a Lumia 900, we are making two options available to you:

• You will be able to update your device with the latest software via Zune on or around Monday, April 16th.

or

• Swap your current Lumia 900 for an updated Lumia 900

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As a gesture of good will, every individual who has already purchased a Nokia Lumia 900 — or who will purchase one between now and April 21st – will receive a $100 credit to their AT&T bill.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/04/11/putting-people-first/

Wait, so is that saying if I buy this week I'll still get the credit?

Was gonna wait till the end of the month but that sold me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow, that is pretty amazing. My wife gets an update on her phone even though she didn't have any issues with it, and I get $100 off next month's bill? Good chance my next phone is a Nokia.

Wow, that is pretty amazing. My wife gets an update on her phone even though she didn't have any issues with it, and I get $100 off next month's bill? Good chance my next phone is a Nokia.

Indeed.

Excellent customer service from Nokia.

I've only seen the issue once and was mostly pleased with my purchase anyway.. now I'm even happier.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's how you curbstomp a potential shitstorm. The verge should offer wp7 fans some gift cards for THEIR communication failure.

dream

Between effectively giving away free phones and the $150M ad campaign, will AT&T ever make a profit on the Lumia 900?

PG2G

Between effectively giving away free phones and the $150M ad campaign, will AT&T ever make a profit on the Lumia 900?

The actual ad campaign apparently isn't anywhere near $150 million, don't know where that was coming from.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gave the trial for Pirates a try. Feels and looks better than Civ even though it is probably a very similar port. My main issue is that at some points the load times are not very good.

Cipherr

I knew the "Smart Phone Beta Test" marketing campaign would bite them in the ass. Though Nokia was smart to avoid a potential PR disaster with the very generous $100 credit.

Definitely, a few more weeks for the issues to fester and that beta test stuff would have really really took a bite out of their rear ends. This heads that off at the start and changes this conversation. Very well done.

now people can focus on the 900 screen not being as responsive as the 800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD1D33E9A0DAB49CA&v=_KBDZrqVW-8&feature=player_detailpage#t=226s

the 900 is still responsive.. it just doesn't seem as quick as the 800's display in terms of registering input.

I powered on my Samsung Focus and I can definitely tell a difference between it and my lumia 900. The 900 requires more deliberate input.. to get the same kind of response as the focus. It's probably a software choice on Nokia's part rather than the display itself.. but it's hard to say.

I just got back from checking out checking the Lumia 900, what a pretty phone. I also check the Titan, the curve at the end is nice and should help with your palm touching the screen.

While the Lumia is about the same size as Titan it feel a lot better to hold. I don't know if I can wait for Windows Phone 8. (term used to avoid copyright infringement). =]

Boogie9IGN

Just got my new Titan II today from the Smoked by Windows challenge and I'm liking it alot so far (apart from one annoying thing but that is GroupMe's fault I think, not MS). Now I'm just trying to scour around for guides on what apps to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom