• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Poor Vlad. Looks like he was ordered to calm the rabid Windows Phone fanboys down.

Competition is king: why Nokia and Microsoft are the perfect match
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2934636/nokia-windows-phone-competition-editorial
and now he has to deal with fandroids who are still somewhat upset over the windows+nokia deal.

I guess I'm getting too old for loud colors. I think I'm just gonna end up selling this thing anyway.

i am pretty sure your not gonna like black. its pretty boring imo.

Razdek

Banned
Does anyone else feel that the work done on Tango to squeeze the OS to work on 256 MB of RAM was a waste of time? That work was done on the old kernel and the OEM's will only have a few months to get them out until Apollo comes out to replace it unless they plan to keep on selling Tango devices after Apollo launches.

I'm not sure how much work it took but it seems like a waste of resources to me to keep working on something they'll ditch but maybe most of it is transferable to Apollo.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Does anyone else feel that the work done on Tango to squeeze the OS to work on 256 MB of RAM was a waste of time? That work was done on the old kernel and the OEM's will only have a few months to get them out until Apollo comes out to replace it unless they plan to keep on selling Tango devices after Apollo launches.

I'm not sure how much work it took but it seems like a waste of resources to me to keep working on something they'll ditch but maybe most of it is transferable to Apollo.
cheaper devices are necessary for emerging markets etc..

Razdek

Banned
cheaper devices are necessary for emerging markets etc..

But does that mean they're just going to still be selling Tango devices to those markets even after Apollo is out? If that's the case then wouldn't that be fragmenting the userbase as those devices are already crippled in their own way.

PG2G

Windows Phone hate continues over at the Verge, Titan II gets a 6, lol.

I don't mind a 4 for ecosystem, but a 5 for the OS is kind of crazy.

They have to be consistent now. No phone is allowed to score better than the Lumia 900 until Microsoft and Nokia shoot their next Lumia to the moon.

Razdek

Banned

Yea the OS should have scored higher and I agree that when I have more fun using my WP device than I do with my Android. However I also agree that when comparing functionality it isn't as good.

I think that the reviewer is correct in saying that Windows Phone is a cycle behind everyone else and they want to work at the same pace as the others but they should really be working harder and faster to catch up or else they never will.

hwalker84

It has always to me seemed to be a waste. Unless they made WP8 to work on Tango devices too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Serious question: what have ios and ics done since they launched to "continue to innovate and mature"? Bug fixes?

Why is the Verge suddenly docking every Windows Phone for lack of growth 6 months after mango? Are they going to dock ics phones for failing to grow and innovate since ICS was introduced? If Apple releases a red iPhone, is the OS going to get docked for not innovating since last fall as well?

Windu

theverge said:
we've seen Windows Phone's pace of improvement slow while Android and iOS have continued to mature and innovate
Amazing.
that is a strange comment.

looking at Wikipedia here are the updates that have come out since October. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Windows Phone
  • 7.10.7740 fixed email issue in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and voicemail notification issue.
  • 7.10.8107 added LTE support and fixed keyboard disappearing bug and location access issue, among other bugfixes.
  • 7.10.8112 Initial release for AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 & HTC Titan II
and then there is the tango update which i thought was coming around this time period. Is it on the new devices?
Windows Phone "Tango"

• Tango will be a minor update, similar to the "NoDo" update, planned to be released in April 2012. It will help Windows Phone to run on low-cost devices with 256 MB RAM and low clock CPU.
  • Also confirmed are 23 additional markets including; Bahrain, Bulgaria, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, Estonia, Iceland, Iraq, Israel, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine, Venezuela and Vietnam. This update will also include a Skype application (currently in Beta). The Nokia Lumia 610 and ZTE Orbit, introduced at Mobile World Congress in 2012, are the first phones to run the Tango update.
  • Better media messaging. Now you can attach multiple pictures and videos—along with voice notes and ringtones—to text messages. You can include a video, picture, voice note, or ringtone in an instant message, too.
  • Location awareness icon. When an app is accessing the phone’s current location information, an icon will appear next to the battery status indicator.
  • Export and manage contacts to SIM card. Previously, Windows Phones only allows importing of contacts from a SIM card.
  • This update has now been officially named "7.5 Refresh" as of March 2012.
Andriod
v4.0.4
  • Android 4.0.4 began its release on UMTS/GSM Nexus S, Xoom Wi-Fi, and HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus devices on March 29, 2012. The update features stability improvements, better camera performance, smoother screen rotation and improved phone number recognition.
iOS

9A405
9A406 P5 (iPhone 4S only)
04.11.08 (GSM) P4 S2C
05.16.05 P3 07.11.01 S1C 1.0.13(9A405) P4 1.0.14(9A406) P5 3.00.03 (CDMA) P4D S2D

November 10, 2011 (9A405)
December 12, 2011 (9A406)

Bug fixes, security update

• Attempted to fix battery drain bug.
  • Fixes bugs affecting iCloud mail push.
  • Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad.
  • Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud.
  • Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation.
  • Contains security improvements.
  • Activates the LED camera flash, whether the speaker is muted or not, for incoming calls and messages, when activated within the Accessibility sub-menu.
  • Introduces a new way for developers to specify files that should not be backed up.
  • Build 9A406:
  • Attempts to fix 'Invalid Sim' and 'No SIM card installed' issues on the iPhone 4S.
  • Baseband update.

9B176
9B179 P5 (iPhone 4S only)
05.16.05 P3
07.11.01 S1C 04.12.01 P4 3.0.04 P4D
2.0.10 P5

March 7, 2012
  • Initial release on iPad (3rd generation)
  • Re-release of the Wi-Fi only model of iPad 2 (iPad2,4)
  • Enhanced Siri dictation support during text input "on supported devices" (iPhone 4S in 2011).[79]
  • Setup Assistant bug fix.
  • Security Updates
  • A string format exploit in an application named racoon that allowed executing unsigned code at boot-up is fixed.
  • An ROP exploit that allowed executing payloads vnimage is now fixed.
  • A flaw that was executed by mounting a maliciously crafted disk image and may lead to a device shutdown or arbitrary code execution is now fixed.
  • a logic issue with debug system calls that could bypass sandbox restrictions is fixed.
  • Webkit security updates
  • A format string vulnerability existed in the handling of racoon configuration files (VPN) is now fixed.
  • CFNetwork security updates.
  • Baseband updates for some devices.
  • Carrier updates (e.g. AT&T 12.0, Verizon 12.0).
  • AT&T indicator now says "4G" when on HSPA+.
  • Fixes iPhone 4S support for Caller ID Name Display (on supported carriers – i.e. Rogers & Fido in Canada).
  • Possible fix to Outgoing Call No Audio (OCNA) issue.[citation needed]
  • Combined Voice/Data Roaming Switch on iPhone.
  • Attempts at fixing battery life; results are mixed.[80][81]
  • Bluetooth status bar indicator bug fix.
  • Fixed slowdown when changing to landscape (cover flow) in Music app.
  • Shake-to-shuffle bug fix, which previously caused the Music app to freeze.
  • Smart playlists bug fix.
  • Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers.
  • Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream.
  • Safari, address bar now has "Go to this address" instead of a blank bar; Bookmarks list no longer automatically displayed on browser opening if there are no open pages in Safari.
  • Minor UI changes in Maps.
  • Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout).
  • Redesigned Camera app on iPad.
  • Camera shortcut on lock screen is now always present and has a new slide-up gesture to activate. (iPhone and iPod Touch 4th generation only)
  • Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces.
  • Improved Assistive Touch.
  • Improved Location Services.
  • License column added under the About menu.
  • Fixed bug that allowed folders (and Newsstand) to be placed within other folders.
  • App Store download limit over 3G increased to 50 MB.
  • Fixed bug that caused stuck keys on Apple Bluetooth Keyboards during wakeup from low power states.
  • Speaker icon next to song name of song currently playing.
  • "Sleep iPod" function in clock application changed to "Stop Playing", this function also works for applications other than Music.
  • Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer.
  • Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#v4.x_Ice_Cream_Sandwich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone#Version_history

iOS sure, it kicks everyone's ass in updates (best thing about the platform) but andriod? ehhh

GJS

looking at Wikipedia here are the updates that have come out since October. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Windows Phone

and then there is the tango update which i thought was coming around this time period. Is it on the new devices?

Andriod

iOS

iOS sure, it kicks everyone's ass in updates (best thing about the platform) but andriod? ehhh
Tango/WP refresh is on all the new windows phones that just released in China like the Lumia 800c, there's been no news about the worldwide release for ages.

PSGames

Tango/WP refresh is on all the new windows phones that just released in China like the Lumia 800c, there's been no news about the worldwide release for ages.

That's a shame. I would really like the multiple picture and video messaging.

JaggedSac

theverge said:
Then, it saves them to a Saved Pictures folder that for the life of me I can't find except through the Photo Enhancer app. Again, it's not broken, it's just not efficient or smart.

Oh, my. No wonder these guys don't like WP. They are fucking retarded.

gcubed

Windows Phone

Andriod

iOS

seriously?

For Android - the update features stability improvements, better camera performance, smoother screen rotation and improved phone number recognition.

and numerous bug fixes. Which they don't specifically call out ever single bug fix in their update list. Should they? Probably, but taking an update in list form as which is better is quite silly. While i'm sure MS also fixed quite a few bugs but doesnt list out every single bug fix.

Combine that with the fact that looking at the bug fix list from Apple, quite a few of those would fall under App updates via google. I'm sure we could go back and pull the store, gmail, music, chrome, and other app updates to make the list look a little bigger as well

Windu

seriously?

For Android - the update features stability improvements, better camera performance, smoother screen rotation and improved phone number recognition.

and numerous bug fixes. Which they don't specifically call out ever single bug fix in their update list. Should they? Probably, but taking an update in list form as which is better is quite silly. While i'm sure MS also fixed quite a few bugs but doesnt list out every single bug fix.
Well I said correct me if I'm wrong for a reason

gcubed

Well I said correct me if I'm wrong for a reason

well then, i freely admit i dont read every word, and missed that part. Sorry! Seeing Chipper Jones makes me ready to jump

I give Apple credit for actually listing the full bug fix listing in an easy to find place. I wish Google did that instead of throwing it into the great shell game of "what changed!"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

So basically bug fixes for all three, the number doesn't even have to be debated, its irrelevant to the stand that Josh and the rest of the Verge crew is taking. So the point stands, why dock wp7 phones and not Android phones for not "innovating and maturing"? Its ridiculous that they took an arbitrary stance all of a sudden rather than when mango launched.

ElNino

I have a feeling I will have to get a black one. stupid Rogers.
I just picked mine up from Rogers today. The screen looks noticeably bigger than my Focus does to me. I haven't done much with it other than syncing my accounts and installing a few of my most important apps, but I'll have to spend some time tonight re-installing the rest and trying to get them configured correctly.

The only issue I've had so far is that it isn't letting my turn on Internet Sharing, which was working previously on my Focus. I guess I'll have to call Rogers tonight to see if something is missing on my account.

Milchjon

I just picked mine up from Rogers today. The screen looks noticeably bigger than my Focus does to me. I haven't done much with it other than syncing my accounts and installing a few of my most important apps, but I'll have to spend some time tonight re-installing the rest and trying to get them configured correctly.

The only issue I've had so far is that it isn't letting my turn on Internet Sharing, which was working previously on my Focus. I guess I'll have to call Rogers tonight to see if something is missing on my account.

Pretty sure that's not enabled on the Lumias yet (who the hell knows why). It's announced for an update.

ElNino

Pretty sure that's not enabled on the Lumias yet (who the hell knows why). It's announced for an update.
The Internet Sharing option is there in the menu, but when I try to enable it I get a notification that it isn't currently allowed. (which sounds like a carrier setting to me).

gcubed

So basically bug fixes for all three, the number doesn't even have to be debated, its irrelevant to the stand that Josh and the rest of the Verge crew is taking. So the point stands, why dock wp7 phones and not Android phones for not "innovating and maturing"? Its ridiculous that they took an arbitrary stance all of a sudden rather than when mango launched.

the only thing i can think of is the same as other people have pointed out. It needs to mature more then the other 2

Sean

Banned
Serious question: what have ios and ics done since they launched to "continue to innovate and mature"? Bug fixes?

Why is the Verge suddenly docking every Windows Phone for lack of growth 6 months after mango? Are they going to dock ics phones for failing to grow and innovate since ICS was introduced? If Apple releases a red iPhone, is the OS going to get docked for not innovating since last fall as well?

I don't think they're talking about the last six months specifically. I believe the point they are trying to make is that Microsoft hasn't evolved the OS fast enough in order to match the competition. Since Windows Phone 7 is behind on features (due to entering the market late), they have to do twice as much in the same time period if they plan on catching up.

Razdek

Banned
I don't think they're talking about the last six months specifically. I believe the point they are trying to make is that Microsoft hasn't evolved the OS fast enough in order to match the competition. Since Windows Phone 7 is behind on features (due to entering the market late), they have to do twice as much in the same time period if they plan on catching up.

Yep, they need to match Android and IOS feature for feature which they haven't yet so they need to work harder to do so. When they match and exceed it I think the reviewers will finally come around but at this pace it may take a while.

hwalker84

I'm suffering from LTE withdraw. I was getting 18 down 6 up in Boston now im back home in Pittsburgh getting 1.9 down .98 up

Fjolle

my thoughts exactly. verg isn't even trolling anymore, they're just in it for the clicks, kotaku 2.0.

Yea. Luckily some blog review isn't gonna make or break the sales of a good phone :)

The lumia 900 will sell 10 times the view count of that article anyway*.

*When verge doesn't show view counts and Nokia probably won't give a precise number for the sales of each phone this statement can't be disproved.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
my thoughts exactly. verg isn't even trolling anymore, they're just in it for the clicks, kotaku 2.0.

I think the content is fine (I read both reviews) but the way they go about it and the pre-trolling Josh does on twitter it's very obvious it's just click bait for them. It's too self aware.

I would say I expected better but Engadget was the same.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Nope, you're wrong. They ARE talking about the last six months. Because they JUST started lowering the ecosystem and OS score for WP7. Meanwhile, no such deductions for ICS, even though both have essentially been doing bug fixes for the past 6 months. If they meant to score the ecosystem and OS this low all along, why not start at Mango? And if you don't start at Mango, and draw the line in the sand THIS WEEK, then how do you justify only lowering wp7 scores if the other ecosystems haven't moved in the last 6 months either.

Let me make it more visual. Suppose this is how the Verge scored phones last fall (when ICS, iOS5, and Mango were released):

Mango OS: 7
iOS5: 9
ICS: 8

Now, six months later they have this:

Mango OS: 5
iOS5: 9
ICS: 8

Why dock WP7's ecosystem/OS score and NOT the new HTC whatchamacallit Android phone's ecosystem and OS' score? What progress has Google or Apple made so their score stays the same while, just this past week, you're going to start deducting points for WP7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom