• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get so tired of these Windows Phone blogs writing anything other than news. Their editorials are just trash. How can you sit around and complain that HTC and Samsung are giving us phones with old Android specs when that is all that the platform is currently supporting?

I think they want HTC and Samsung to bring out original hardware for Windows Phone which really doesn't make any sense considering how slow Microsoft moves on this platform and not to mention Microsoft is in bed with Nokia.

Not sure why they don't say the same about Nokia, the Phi looks to be just Lumia 900 which is a rehash of N9.

I just wish they would be out sooner than October. I don't think my wife can wait that far out for a new phone. I have a feeling we will be end up with Lumia 900 or One-X especially with At&t implementing their share data plan today.

PG2G

I'm interested to see if those quad core HTC rumors are actually true. I wish they were because a couple Android phones with that SoC should be launching soon. I doubt it though

It happens to me as well :(

fucking lumia 800, buggiest device of all times.

I am browsing through Lumia review on At&t site and there sure is a lot of complain. Mostly about the same problem you guys bring up, ie phone lock up during calls. Many also complain about battery stop charging ... the one at my local store has turn completely pink (the screen) and they just left it there. It looks like crap next to the retina iphone and Super LED 2 One-X.

Frost_Ace

I am browsing through Lumia review on At&t site and there sure is a lot of complain. Mostly about the same problem you guys bring up, ie phone lock up during calls. Many also complain about battery stop charging ... the one at my local store has turn completely pink (the screen) and they just left it there. It looks like crap next to the retina iphone and Super LED 2 One-X.

Naah it isn't really that bad as we're making it out to be, with the various upgrades the only time it locks up is, like we mentioned earlier, when you browse the internet while listening to music. And even my cousin with the 4s says the screen looks pretty enough.

derFeef

Ex-workmate went off to Sweden to work at Spotify, I said he should improve the WP7 app if he can. So I will credit him all future updates ;)

(god my english is terrible today, sorry).

It's sad to see One X doing so bad, it's a really pretty phone. I really wouldn't mind One-X version of Windows Phone.

The One X is doing badly because Sense is just that absolutely terrible. If I were HTC I would be following Motorola and reducing skinning dramatically because they just don't know what the hell they are doing. Samsung skins heavily with Touchwiz but post-ICS Touchwiz performs pretty well and doesn't drag the whole phone down into an abyss of terrible like post-ICS Sense does.

Troll

Banned
The One X is doing badly because Sense is just that absolutely terrible. If I were HTC I would be following Motorola and reducing skinning dramatically because they just don't know what the hell they are doing. Samsung skins heavily with Touchwiz but post-ICS Touchwiz performs pretty well and doesn't drag the whole phone down into an abyss of terrible like post-ICS Sense does.

OR just have an option to boot without skins. How much.... sense does that make?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Post moving to 4.0.4 Sense runs pretty well now. Big speed bump on both the One X and XL compared to stock 4.0.3 ICS with Sense. Runs basically as well as my best friend's GS3 with touchwiz.

I'd prefer everyone to go back to Stock, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. Plus all of the demo units are probably preupdate. :|

PS: I hope if/when Valve makes a WP8 version of Steam it doesn't totally suck like the Android version. My god man.

derFeef

It's faster and smoother than both the Android and Windows Phone version.
At least in my experience.

The WP app is very fast and smooth, it just crashes so often. Maybe it's my Lumia but on the other hand I don't think that App ever got an update.

maeh2k

The One X is doing badly because Sense is just that absolutely terrible.

The average phone buyer isn't aware of these customizations, let alone knows enough about them to compare them to other phones.
Looking at a phone in a store is also not sufficient to explore the whole OS and make up ones mind.

The One X got great reviews and even Sense for Android 4.0 wasn't criticized much.

What it comes down to -- in my opinion -- is that the Galaxy brand currently has a huge mindshare advantage, and as a result is also getting pushed more by carriers.
That automatically puts HTC in line with the other also-rans. High prices don't help either. Here the One S started at ~450 Euros, the One X ~550 Euros. The impression I got after the One series came out was that people were more interested in last year's Galaxy S2 at 370 Euros than in newer devices like the One S.
(at that time the S2 proved so popular that it became more expensive than the Galaxy Nexus, which was originally around 100 Euros more expensive than the S2)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My 900 has held up very well. There have been a few lockups, but nothing serious.

Also as long as I get a Zune Pass there is no need for me to bother with Spotify. Not to mention the great integration with WP.

The One X is doing badly because Sense is just that absolutely terrible.

ecae6f7199680181061d5743344c1c0f.gif

The sense version the One X sports is very pleasing to eye. It is way better looking than Touchwiz. In the first impression, the One X looks better, as as an OS and as a phone, than the GSIII. And that is its main competitor. Too bad for HTC the GSIII is the follow up to a huge succes.

are they complaining because companies just take the same shell and have WP running on it instead of Android? because internally, things won't be any different and having a vastly different external just drives manufacturing costs up, one more reason not to support the platform.

the One X is doing badly because the people that don't like removable batteries and SD cards already have an iPhone.

gcubed

ecae6f7199680181061d5743344c1c0f.gif

The sense version the One X sports is very pleasing to eye. It is way better looking than Touchwiz. In the first impression, the One X looks better, as as an OS and as a phone, than the GSIII. And that is its main competitor. Too bad for HTC the GSIII is the follow up to a huge succes.

Pleasing to the eye? I thought we were in the windows phone thread, where people know design

Commodore

Pleasing to the eye? I thought we were in the windows phone thread, where people know design

Also where we don't really have a problem where same platform users argue over different skins of the same platform. We do seem to have a problem periodically where that argument spills over in a Windows Phone thread. Given the WP platform, its always odd when it does.

gcubed

Also where we don't really have a problem where same platform users argue over different skins of the same platform. We do seem to have a problem periodically where that argument spills over in a Windows Phone thread. Given the WP platform, its always odd when it does.
agreed it is odd

He's right about the GSIII though. I'd much rather take the One X than that... thing.

and he is, the exterior design of the One X is the best phone outside of the Lumia.

Commodore

i really really really really dislike that green

Seems they are branding colors based around the new Microsoft logo. Games are now classic Microsoft logo green, instead of the lime XBOX green. Pretty lame, especially when you're compromising a highly established branding awareness for overall brand coherence.

My launch Nokia Lumia 900 has had some troubles, but all seems to be well now. For the first 2 months I had the phone, the 4G and Wifi connections would suddenly become useless until I reset it.

Also, about twice a month I'd have to hard reset the phone (see: start anew) because it would stop being able to send and receive texts.

Through all those pains, I kept the phone and didn't exchange it because it's the Cyan color, which for some reason every AT&T store in my area was sold out of for the longest time, and I didn't want the other colors. And I figured the issues I was having would be fixed with a firmware update -- which they eventually did. It works like a champ now.

PG2G

I don't see what difference it makes when none of their current devices (the SGS III) were part of the suit. Or is that only because they weren't out at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom