• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, only in some ways, right? There's a lot of stuff in there that seems pretty essential to their products too.

They have better patents than Samsung and agreements with Apple.

I don't see what difference it makes when none of their current devices (the SGS III) were part of the suit. Or is that only because they weren't out at the time?

Their biggest problem was the software stuff, which (I believe) is present in Android devices even now, not just theirs.

Totakeke

Plus Apple used a Nokia Lumia device as an example that how a modern smartphone didn't really violate on their patents in court. Kinda hard to take that back.

giga

Well, only in some ways, right? There's a lot of stuff in there that seems pretty essential to their products too.
Who is their? Microsoft? Apple and MS have a cross license agreement on their patents.

sGOn+

gcubed

Who is their? Microsoft? Apple and MS have a cross license agreement on their patents.

sGOn+

Really? Thats a stupid thing to post when one week of android sales for samsung is more then their lifetime WP sales (pulled out of my ass, maybe one month)

Where would MS be without all that sweet android money?

giga

Really? Thats a stupid thing to post when one week of android sales for samsung is more then their lifetime WP sales (pulled out of my ass, maybe one month)

Where would MS be without all that sweet android money?
You're gonna love WP8 gcubed.

PG2G

It sounds like this will likely end up with Samsung paying a fair chunk of money per device (like they do Microsoft) in the future. Samsung isn't free to do as they please with just being fined $1 billion. They will steel need to come to some sort of agreement with Apple for future devices.

AnkitT

Gotdamn, if samsung drops prices or something i'll probably jump ship to android(probably the opposite will happen so dunno)

gcubed

You're gonna love WP8 gcubed.

that ship sailed a few months ago

It sounds like this will likely end up with Samsung paying a fair chunk of money per device (like they do Microsoft) in the future. Samsung isn't free to do as they please with just being fined $1 billion. They will steel need to come to some sort of agreement with Apple for future devices.

for what? bounce is already gone and has been for a while, pinch to zoom won't stand up to scrutiny and the GS3 doesn't infringe on trade dress. Whats left to license?

Patriots7

Plus Apple used a Nokia Lumia device as an example that how a modern smartphone didn't really violate on their patents in court. Kinda hard to take that back.
They also used a Sony Xperia Arc...that was to show differences in design.

So does Apple go down the line and sue every other Android OEM now?
Not necessarily. There are some manufacturers I don't think even Apple is comfortable fucking around with. Sony has all of their own, and can use those of Ericsson. There's a reason Microsoft and Apple (and most other companies) have left Sony alone in their lawsuits.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its nice to know that today's billion dollar ruling in favor of Apple has absolutely no bearing on Android or any of its oem's.

PG2G

On an unrelated note, the notifications on the WP7 official Twitter app are ridiculously fast. I get a notification on my phone before I get email notification. Maybe it is the app and not the platform that makes the notifications suck :p

zedge

The trail was based on products that were already at the end of their life cycle, this means sweet f all for current Samsung devices.

Hey guys, what did I m--

Its nice to know that today's billion dollar ruling in favor of Apple has absolutely no bearing on Android or any of its oem's.

whoa. Need to find the GAF thread for all the rage. Should be glorious.

In other, more significant, news. One of the Homebrew guys smuggled his app into the marketplace that prevents the phone to drop its WiFi connection in sleep mode. It's disguised as CPR app, but apparently does the job.

You read that right. Keep Alive, the homebrew application that keeps your WiFi active when your phone is idle, is now available in the WP7 Marketplace. Isn't that great news? Well, it should be, because this means that everyone can now use this application, not just the lucky people with developer unlocked devices. This is my first attempt at a Marketplace application, and though it may be a little sketchy to be placed in there, I think it deserves some stars for a device-changing tool that is now publicly available.

Search for "Keep Alive" in the Marketplace to give it a shot. Keep in mind that you want version 1.1.0.0; if that version doesn't appear, wait a few hours and see if it updates. I'm new to all this, but here's hoping for a successful project.
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=cfabf92c-79ca-4015-a385-ef1a9edd085f

Commodore

In other, more significant, news. One of the Homebrew guys smuggled his app into the marketplace that prevents the phone to drop its WiFi connection in sleep mode. It's disguised as CPR app, but apparently does the job.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=cfabf92c-79ca-4015-a385-ef1a9edd085f

Heh. I wonder whether it'll still work when switched away from the app itself after the first run... (I've noticed that it adds an extra task in the advanced background tasks list)

Gaspode_T

Totally rumors but suddenly some reports that Docomo would bring 3 WP8 devices to Japan...this would be a semi-megaton if true, because Docomo has thus far put all of their eggs in the Android basket and sort of shoved aside any idea at all of releasing iPhone, putting them square in one corner versus Softbank/KDDI that both strongly back iPhone. Docomo is #1, KDDI used to be #3 but I think they might have climbed to #2 after iPhone success.

http://www.peterskitchen.net/?p=891...tt-docomo-to-bring-three-wp8-devices-to-japan

Holding 50% of the local market, three phones probably doesn’t seem like a lot compared to a likely portfolio of over 25 handsets. Divide that equally into 60 million and the potential is there for 2 Million Windows Phone 8 devices to come into play on that market.

Details are scant, coming from a translation of a leaked roadmap, but it looks like there will be a Nokia [NK-01E: Lumia Windows Phone], Samsung [SC-04E: OMNIA · Windows Phone] and Fujitsu [T-01E: Windows Phone].

Someone asked me if my Nexus was the new Galaxy S 3. :(
Should have gotten the Lumia, according to Apple lawyers there are no confusion. :-D

I went to play with GS3 @ Att store yesterday and I can see why many would prefer it over OneX. The white one look like ass, but the blue and red look nice. The screen is big and vibrant for the same price why would anyone pick One X especially with Sense running which make the phone look dated and boring.

venne

Should have gotten the Lumia, according to Apple lawyers there are no confusion. :-D

I went to play with GS3 @ Att store yesterday and I can see why many would prefer it over OneX. The white one look like ass, but the blue and red look nice. The screen is big and vibrant for the same price why would anyone pick One X especially with Sense running which make the phone look dated and boring.

To be fair to HTC, Sense won't cost them a billion dollars.

thirty

Banned
from wmpoweruser

Insideris reports on a forum post on a bodybuilding site (I kid you not) purporting to be a second hand account from a Verizon employee (yes, I know) which says Verizon will not just be sporting a new mid-range Nokia Windows Phone 8 handset, but in fact a range of devices from each Windows Phone 8 OEM.

He reports the selection as follows:

HTC Windows Phone 8
- A midrange phone, 720p 4-4.3” screen, 1.2 GHz S4 CPU, 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory.
Samsung Windows Phone 8
- One low end phone on a prepaid offering. HTC Trophy like specification, WVGA screen, 1.2 GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 4GB internal memory, 512 MB of RAM.
- One midrange Samsung phone, Galaxy Nexus clone.
Nokia Windows Phone 8
- One high end phone with a 768p 4.3? screen.
- However, as Verizon is going all in on phones with huge screens, we expect to see a 4.5” Nokia phone with a 1.5 GHz Snapdragon Pro S4 CPU in both 16 and 32 GB offerings.
The poster says Verizon will be a launch partner on September 5th, and that the Windows Phone 8 marketing will be on par with that of Verizon’s Droid campaign, which was huge and created the much needed brand awareness.
i remember a rumor similar to this about a year ago. no one believed it then but today, after the apple/samsung thing, who knows.

So I know nothing has been confirmed concerning WP8 and Sprint, but what does everyone here think about it? Will it happen?

I've never had a smart phone before and my contract with Sprint has been up for a few months now. If Sprint isn't getting a WP8 then I'll probably jump ship.

PG2G

So I know nothing has been confirmed concerning WP8 and Sprint, but what does everyone here think about it? Will it happen?

It is more of a matter of when than if

Owen stopped short of saying the carrier would offer a Windows Phone 8 device, but said, "We think Windows Phone 8 is a solid product that they are bringing to market. We're interested in watching it unfold over the course of the next year. And we won't be watching from the sidelines. We'll be participating. We may not lead it, but we'll participate"

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10909&su=

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I've never had a smart phone before and my contract with Sprint has been up for a few months now. If Sprint isn't getting a WP8 then I'll probably jump ship.

If you want WP8, you're on the wrong carrier. We're about to get a bunch of hardware announcements in the next 2 weeks or so, if you don't hear anything for Sprint, its bail out time.

I'm in the same boat. I have the Arrive but my contract has been up since February. If I don't hear anything soon, I'm considering T-Mo. I'm on a great plan with Sprint though, and will be paying alot more if I switch and have to decide if it's worth it to get a phone that I want.

If you want WP8, you're on the wrong carrier. We're about to get a bunch of hardware announcements in the next 2 weeks or so, if you don't hear anything for Sprint, its bail out time.

Not familiar with US cellular technology and offering, but is it possible to buy a WP8 and sign a sim only contract @ Sprint?

"We'll participate"

HTC Arrive 2!

HTC Arrive II Touch HD 4G LTE

Sprint is a CDMA carrier, just like Verizon. Those phones don't have a SIM card.

Sprint 4G LTE phones have an embedded SIM, Verizon 4G LTE phones have a removable SIM in a slot.

this actually recently caused a stir over the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE because it's a "world" phone touted as good for business but it has no sim slot. embedded SIM only!

Sprint 4G LTE phones have an embedded SIM, Verizon 4G LTE phones have a removable SIM in a slot.

this actually recently caused a stir over the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE because it's a "world" phone touted as good for business but it has no sim slot. embedded SIM only!

Verizon 4G LTE phones have SIM cards for the LTE part of the network.

Doesn't change anything I said. Or can you take your Verizon LTE SIM and put it in a Sprint LTE phone and make it work?

kharma45

One of my biggest issues with WP7 fixed

Keep Alive for maintaining Wi-Fi connections now available in the Windows Phone Marketplace
A few days ago we reported on a new homebrew app called Keep Alive from Windows Phone Hacker. The app basically pings a server every once in awhile to maintain a constant Wi-Fi connection. It’s better than having to reconnect to your Wi-Fi connection each time you turn the display back on and has little impact on battery.

The app though was homebrew meaning only those with developer-unlocked phones could take part by sideloading the XAP file. Since the program itself does not use any illegal hooks, Jaxbot, the developer behind it has submitted it to the Marketplace and almost surprisingly it has passed.

We just downloaded the version from the Marketplace to give it a spin and it appears to be the exact same version as we had previously. The app itself generally works okay, although it does occasionally time out it seems. Point is, it doesn’t do any harm to have it and for some of you, it may be the app you were looking for to maintain faster connections. You simply install it, launch it and that's it--nothing really to it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
is there a reason you'd want or need to keep your wifi on all the time?

it turns itself back on when it updates emails and stuff I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom