• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

But uses more battery, and not all of us have 3G where we live.

Having WiFi always on is the best option even if you have 3G at home anyway as it uses less battery.

I assume when you have WiFi on, 3G remains on as well so it's definitely not saving battery.

Blackhead

Redarse
So disconnecting from WiFi wasn't a means to conserve battery? Why did MS do it?

Disconnecting from WiFi does conserve battery if the phone relies on the cellular data connection instead and doesn't reconnect periodically in the background. Apple does the same thing with the iPhone which disconnect from Wifi while asleep (the iPod touch and iPad on the other hand stay connected). Microsoft reasoned that it's best to only keep the WiFi connection while the phone is connected to a power source. On Android, Google provides it as an option for the user to change.

So disconnecting from WiFi wasn't a means to conserve battery? Why did MS do it?

Well, it does conserve battery. It all depends to what you're comparing it to. If you keep your wifi on at home for example, and then go outside and forget to turn the wifi off, it'll keep scanning for wifi signals. That drains battery faster than a data connection I think.

BUT, when you're at home, having wifi on is no problem because it (often) keeps connected to a single acces point, thus lasts longer. Longer than a constantly enabled 3G connection.

So in some conditions doing what microsoft did does help conserve battery, but not giving the option to keep wifi on in stand by is just criminal. At most, they could have made the turning off of wifi in sleep mode as standard, and give the user the option to turn it off they wanted to.

Edit: besides, if your phones wifi is enabled and it is in stand by, when you look on your phone how many notification you have/ what time it is, wifi will try to reconnect. For someone who checks their phone every 20-30 minutes, that is a lot of battery drain.

PG2G

But why would you want both on if you can have WiFi always on?

I'm making a potentially incorrect assumption that disabling a data connection itself doesn't do too much since I imagined it using the same connection that is used for voice. I'm assuming the increase in battery life from disabling data has less to do with the phone's radio and more to do with the software not attempting to access anything.

On another note, has mobile NeoGAF gone to absolute shit on Windows Phone, or is it just my phone?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those beautiful Nokia/Monster headphones I bought for my wife 3 months ago and posted pics of here? One of the buds has stopped working. I'm about to tweet/email Nokia, hopefully there's some 90 day warranty on it, otherwise that's a $100 out the window.

Those beautiful Nokia/Monster headphones I bought for my wife 3 months ago and posted pics of here? One of the buds has stopped working. I'm about to tweet/email Nokia, hopefully there's some 90 day warranty on it, otherwise that's a $100 out the window.

Don't worry, they'll release a firmware update to fix everything.

I've noticed it look all busted up, and I found the cause. Bad code at the very beginning of pages for the mobile site. *sigh*

To be honest, I was a bit weirded out, too.

On another topic, I've noticed that my phone has cleared headphone output than my 3DS. Hmm...

Doesn't change anything I said. Or can you take your Verizon LTE SIM and put it in a Sprint LTE phone and make it work?

The phones still depend on the CDMA2000 network for voice and texts, so I'm assuming no unless Sprint allows phones with Verizon MEIDs on their network and vice versa. Sprint only has a test LTE network in 2 markets though, so unless you lived in one of those markets there wouldn't be any real way to test it.

NeOak

ibtVJnF3GVmRKt.jpg

Ewww

Google analytics code messing things up.

Code:
[B][i]<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
   _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-34361608-1']);
  _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
     var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
     ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
     var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
  })();

</script>[/B][/i]<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>NeoGAF</title>
<meta charset="ISO-8859-1" />
<meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="themes/Default/images/apple-touch-icon.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="themes/Default/images/apple-touch-icon.png">
<style type="text/css">
	@import "themes/Default/global.css?27";
	body { font-size: 100%};
</style>

Commodore

I'm a little worried a WP8 pureview device is going to compromise on sensor size/quality to slim the chassis down. Hope they don't, as the 808 in white is nice looking in person.

What I'm worried about is whether we see any sort of variation, close to or a far cry from 41 megapixels this year versus the spring, or later next year. And its feeling like if we get a 808 level PureView phone this year it'll be like winning the lottery.

Honestly I can live with 808's bump, they can do things design wise that don't make it seem so pronounced, but the truth is the tech, the way we're all hoping it comes together, sleek, stylish, slim, markedly advanced compared to everything else out there...is further down the road than we want.
dammit

Just letting myself down off the hype train before I actually find out on the 5th that I'll have to wait even further for the phone I really want. If I'm wrong, hey, lottery win.

e: also mobile GAF just affecting us, or any Android/iPhone users getting this mess too?

e: also mobile GAF just affecting us, or any Android/iPhone users getting this mess too?

Other browsers are more lenient on this, and their quirks mode isn't a direct lift of IE5.

However, because IE isn't lenient on doctypes (which is a good thing, as the DTD must be the first thing on the page, even counting comments), it does show when a developer has screwed up. Hope that it really gets fixed.

GCX

Stock market opened a few hours ago in Helsinki and Nokia is on a +12% rise due to the whole Samsung vs Apple thing.

Stock market opened a few hours ago in Helsinki and Nokia is on a +12% rise due to the whole Samsung vs Apple thing.

I really don't see how Apple desicion affects any other manufacturer, and I especially don't get why people think Samsung will be a lot more involved in WP now. Apple's case involved already released and some pretty old devices. Samsung could just continue focussing on Android, but do it in a less copying way. like the GSIII for example.

I really wonder if WP blogger are that desperate.

I really don't see how Apple desicion affects any other manufacturer, and I especially don't get why people think Samsung will be a lot more involved in WP now. Apple's case involved already released and some pretty old devices. Samsung could just continue focussing on Android, but do it in a less copying way. like the GSIII for example.

I really wonder if WP blogger are that desperate.

Samsung copied Nokia for years before shifting focus to Apple. But yeah, the reason for Nokia's stock rising is basically that bad news for Samsung = good news for everyone else.

That render is certainly nice, but there's a secret spot within my heart that wants to make the device a reality. My, oh my.

On another topic, for some reason, the bad code's sticking on all my devices and browsers on the mobile site, messing up Mobile IE a lot. I think something else's up... it's not the server, it's not the browser, then what could it be?

EDIT: Now it's A-OKing in the desktop. Hope it's not a cached response on the real deal, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is evilore and/or ckohler aware of the mobile site issues?

Also, it looks like Nokia is going to take care of the headphones issue. I'm shipping it to them tomorrow.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There are mobile issues? LoL j/k :p

Yeah Group said in the official thread he'll need down time to fix things, but he's aware of the issue.

You know, when you guys mentioned the rendering problems, I was like "Huh? But I don't have any problems".

Then I noticed I'm not part of this thread anymore. :(

this_guy

Does Yahoo have their Fantasy Football app available for Windows Phone? I used the HTC Radar for 6 months to try out Windows Phone, but not having my Fantasy Football app was a big deal.

PG2G

Does Yahoo have their Fantasy Football app available for Windows Phone? I used the HTC Radar for 6 months to try out Windows Phone, but not having my Fantasy Football app was a big deal.

I don't think so. ESPN Fantasy Football is in the works though

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

There is a 3rd party app called fantasy ferrett that works with yahoo fantasy games, including football.

Also, the ESPN app was supposed to be here this month. I hope they deliver it before the season starts, I'm starting to think it was cancelled or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom