• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

I'll be posting the OT for Nokia's September 5th event tomorrow (a week is the rule, right?), does anyone have any have thread names?

Nokia's Windows Phone 8 Event |OT| Take note, Samsung
Nokia's Windows Phone 8 Event |OT| No, the other phone announced in September

Any other ideas?

Nokia's Windows Phone 8 Event |OT| Learn about it before the iPhone 5, buy it after

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sony doesn't move fast enough to compete in the android world. Their hardware and software updates are routinely behind Samsung and HTC.

In the windows phone world, things move at a slower pace, and Sony would have more breathing room. It seems like such an obvious match, but they've been so hostile towards windows phone. Its bizarre.

this_guy

I'll be posting the OT for Nokia's September 5th event tomorrow (a week is the rule, right?), does anyone have any have thread names?

Nokia's Windows Phone 8 Event |OT| Take note, Samsung
Nokia's Windows Phone 8 Event |OT| No, the other phone announced in September

Any other ideas?

Windows Phone 8 | We are the 1% (marketshare)

kharma45

Oh lord yes.

Sony doesn't move fast enough to compete in the android world. Their hardware and software updates are routinely behind Samsung and HTC.

In the windows phone world, things move at a slower pace, and Sony would have more breathing room. It seems like such an obvious match, but they've been so hostile towards windows phone. Its bizarre.

Sony has upped their game a lot for Android, they've done much better rolling out ICS than HTC has and much, much better than Samsung.

Yes, but Xbox Live is in Windows Phone DNA. Puts Sony in an awkward place, especially since they got Playststion all over Android.

Exactly.

Though Windows 8 puts them in a weird space regarding their Viao lineup of PCs as well.

Actually, it looks like they are.

Vaio-Duo11-4.jpg

The old Sony-Ericsson was quite pathetic, but this new Sony Mobile is catching up fast. Their announced phones are actually hardware competitive with devices competitors are announcing, and they were the fastest to getting ICS on most of their existing line. They are also allowing the Xperia S to be an AOSP device! However they are still non-existent in North America and they really need to make a big push here to become relevant again.

maeh2k

In the windows phone world, things move at a slower pace

That's not really true. I know it kind of feels like Windows Phone is moving at a glacial pace -- especially since the Tango update went in a different direction than regular updates and didn't bring anything new. But overall Windows Phone evolves at a decent speed. Yearly big updates are the norm -- just as on Android and iOS -- and they really got a lot done in the first year (Mango).

Now if you look at how long it took Samsung and HTC to release Android 4.0 updates...

The Lumia design has worn out its welcome, imo. The N9 looked nice, the 800 got the buttons too close to the screen and the 900 is just another rehash, but without the curved glass. The DVP looks great, but it's a bit too fat.

I disagree. I think they really should keep the design, it's unique, eye catching and will help give both Lumia and Windows Phone the brand recognition they sorely need. If they can get curve glass on the Phi, they have a winner I think. (And reduce the bulk / weight would help).

I am debating if I want to put my Lumia in a case .. it's so pretty but I don't want it all scratch up because it will probably will get sold when I upgrade.

Oh, the phone is 99 cents at Walmart. (grr...may be Amazon Wireless will match price if I ask to return it).

That's not really true. I know it kind of feels like Windows Phone is moving at a glacial pace -- especially since the Tango update went in a different direction than regular updates and didn't bring anything new. But overall Windows Phone evolves at a decent speed. Yearly big updates are the norm -- just as on Android and iOS -- and they really got a lot done in the first year (Mango).

Now if you look at how long it took Samsung and HTC to release Android 4.0 updates...

Apologizing for MS and coming up with invalid comparisons to Android OEMs will not increase the marketshare of Windows Phone.

If people actually want WP to succeed, they should be holding MS's feet to the fire and demand they come up with something which can actually compete in the market. WP8 might be a good start, if it ships on time, if it is genuinely scalable, if it is updated regularly, if it matches or outperforms iOS/Android on equivalent hardware doing the same thing those OSes do, if it offers something genuinely different and better than iOS/Android that is meaningful to consumers and will drive them to seek it out, and if enough people buy into it that developers will seriously think about porting apps to it. That's a lot of ifs.

The first iPhone launched in 2007. The first Android device launched a year later, in 2008. It is now 2012. Because MS has basically squandered what time they bought for themselves with WP7, they are essentially starting over from the beginning in 2012, 5 years late to the market. The road MS must travel is not an easy one, in fact it can be essentially regarded as impossible at this point to most impartial observers, and apologizing for them and bashing competitors will not magically turn their trajectory around.

I disagree. I think they really should keep the design, it's unique, eye catching and will help give both Lumia and Windows Phone the brand recognition they sorely need. If they can get curve glass on the Phi, they have a winner I think. (And reduce the bulk / weight would help).

They used the same design in four phones, all released within a year.

czcXN.jpg
H94gX.jpg
asyjv.jpg
JquiH.png

Yeah, it's getting boring.

kharma45

czcXN.jpg
H94gX.jpg
asyjv.jpg
JquiH.png

But is it boring for the vast majority who still won't be aware of the Lumia line-up? With such low market penetration it'll still be a fresh design for many who've taken no notice of Windows Phone thus far.

Samsung use the same design for all their Galaxy Phone across all the carrier. All Galaxy phone looks the similar. iPhone looks the same pretty much for the last two years. I think the idea is to have recognizable design. Nokia also released the two mid range phones that look difference.

Sony Xperia all looks the same... all release within the same year. I wouldn't mind seeing Xperia Windows Phone though.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/czcXN.jpg?1[/IMG] [MG]http://i.imgur.com/H94gX.jpg?1[/IMG] [IG]http://i.imgur.com/asyjv.jpg?1[/IMG] [IG]http://i.imgur.com/JquiH.png[/IMG]

Yeah, it's getting boring for the 6 guys who own a Windows Phone Lumia. It's a great design design to people who don't own a Lumia yet and there lies its potential.

By the way, can we assume that WP8's consumer features will be officially announced on the 5th? Would be pretty weird to announce a phone/OS with no known consumer features. Belfiore mentionned in the WP8Dev event that they'll talk about the consumer features 'later on'.

kharma45

Only 720p? Come on Nokia!

Their next cameras will do 1080p Pureview or not, probably just 720p as it's YouTube.

As for the same sensor as the 808 we won't get that as the Qualcomm S4 'only' supports 20 Megapixel sensors, but even if we had 20MP that scaled down to 5MP I'd be happy with that.

PG2G

As for the same sensor as the 808 we won't get that as the Qualcomm S4 'only' supports 20 Megapixel sensors, but even if we had 20MP that scaled down to 5MP I'd be happy with that.

The SoC in the 808 only supports up to 20 megapixels also. There is additional hardware required for PureView

Doffen

I was in downtown Helsinki a few days ago and there was a construction work wall around the Nokia store with a "SOMETHING AMAZING IS COMING" text and the September 5th date.

Old news. It's just a redesign of their store.
http://www.nokiagraffiti.me/

Prepare to be amazed at all the things in your new Nokia store.

Express yourself with your own digital graffiti.

Visit this website next week to discover more.

It’s a whole new way to shop.

Troll

Banned
Looks like the Lumia 900 is under a buck at Walmart.

794503d07d6f1020_thumb1.jpg

I have to keep telling myself not to buy one. over and over again.

Lumia battery life is definitely worst than the Titan and the phone signal reception is not as good either. Wifi however is better. The camera on this thing just plain suck. Every picture is over saturated, colors are all off and with pinkish hue to them. Titan camera is way better (though I find color a little flat). So far I have to say the best Windows Phone camera for me was the Focus.

PG2G

Lumia battery life is definitely worst than the Titan and the phone signal reception is not as good either. Wifi however is better. The camera on this thing just plain suck. Every picture is over saturated, colors are all off and with pinkish hue to them. Titan camera is way better (though I find color a little flat). So far I have to say the best Windows Phone camera for me was the Focus.

Did you get the latest update for the Lumia 900? It sounds like it fixed a lot of the camera issues. Assuming you're talking about the 900 and not one of the others though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom