• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
Thanks. I tried to grab the image but my normal right click -> copy image location didn't work there :/

Yeah, The Verge is a pain in the ass. You have to host it on imgur after saving it to your PC.

To Compare

Samsung-Galaxy-S34.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Damn, every time I try to stay away from Samsung, they pull out a device that ticks off all the right boxes. Could be my third straight Samsung device. Save me, Nokia!

giga

I'm assuming Samsung's "ATIV" brand is for W8 and WP8 devices? And Galaxy for Android? And Asus is using "Vivo" for their W8 devices.

PG2G

Looks much better than the SGS III to me, the curves on the SGS III are pretty terrible in comparison. Home button looks pretty ugly though, but some of you guys should be pretty happy that it is a physical button.

Why is the Xperia tablet running ICS and not Win RT :X.

Because the Vaio Duo is running Windows 8!

Seriously though, it's no secret that Microsoft keeps a close eye on Windows RT. If Sony was interested, Microsoft probably shot them down.

The front of Ativ S keeps reminding me of the Galaxy S II. Hmm...

That's what I thought. It's a weird mix of the GS II (front) and GS III (back).

Tomcat

Looks much better than the SGS III to me, the curves on the SGS III are pretty terrible in comparison. Home button looks pretty ugly though, but some of you guys should be pretty happy that it is a physical button.

I don't want physical buttons. They take you out of the touch experience

It's better this way. Focus was only a brand in the US and some other unimportant countries. Everywhere else it was Omnia.

Heh. And to think that the naming would become a mess... well, I guess it's better to start fresh. Hope that the phone doesn't gain any more unwieldy names! Just "Ativ S" will be enough, tbh. I wonder whether it'll end up printing money, though - it doesn't seem all likely.

Also, is it just me, or is the phone's design and name asking for a lawsuit? It looks a bit too familiar to the older Galaxy phones which, well, you know... And the name backwards is... I think I must be thinking too much.

JaggedSac

Lumia battery life is definitely worst than the Titan and the phone signal reception is not as good either. Wifi however is better. The camera on this thing just plain suck. Every picture is over saturated, colors are all off and with pinkish hue to them. Titan camera is way better (though I find color a little flat). So far I have to say the best Windows Phone camera for me was the Focus.

Yeah, I felt bad urging my girlfriend to get the Lumia 900. She is now stuck with that garbage camera.

maeh2k

Apologizing for MS and coming up with invalid comparisons to Android OEMs will not increase the marketshare of Windows Phone.

It's not an apology. Mango and especially now Apollo are two really big steps that change just as much as the biggest iOS and Android updates did. So I don't see how that's is 'moving slow'.
Nor is it an invalid comparison. What good does it do if Android is moving so fast, but then it takes six to nine months to get the update?

If people actually want WP to succeed, they should be holding MS's feet to the fire and demand they come up with something which can actually compete in the market.

They can't just name all their phones iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, can they? Windows Phone has been pretty great all along and its quality isn't the reason for its failure.

The first iPhone launched in 2007. The first Android device launched a year later, in 2008. It is now 2012. Because MS has basically squandered what time they bought for themselves with WP7, they are essentially starting over from the beginning in 2012, 5 years late to the market.

You can't just discount two years of Windows Phone and claim they are five years late. Windows Phone 8 is still very much Windows Phone with the same UI and design language. Developers already have experience with Metro development and Windows Phone 8 will launch with more than 100.000 applications.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung is just plain terrible at these conferences. Damn.

Edit: engadget has a picture of the first windows phone 8 device to be unveiled, the Samsung Ativ.

kharma45

Specs sound decent

Inside the crazy-thin 8.7mm brushed aluminum chassis is a huge 4.8” HD Super AMOLED display made from Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (read: tough to break, but still light)and a rundown of killer specs: 1.5Ghz dual-core processor, 1GB of onboard RAM, and an 8MP autofocus rear camera and 1.9MP front-facing camera. You’ll have the choice of two storage capacities – 16GB or 32GB – and both models have a MicroSD slot for expanded storage. Backing all of this up is a massive 2300mAh battery to keep you rocking all day.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Brushed aluminum? SD card slot? Niiiiiiceeee! I shall have a device this fall, but maybe Nokia can top this. Still, this is why Samsung outsells everybody, they know how to tick off those check boxes.

Why can't the Start button not have the hideous looking border to it and be a smooth capacitive button like the back and search buttons?

Doesn't really matter for me though, I'm on contract with my Titan through next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom