• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

October 29th seems to be the date.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/windows-phone-8-may-land-october-29th-just-days-after-its-deskt/

We Microsoft watchers already knew October was going to be a crazy month, given Windows 8's general availability date is October 26.

But until this week, I didn't realize just how jam-packed that month is really going to be.

A source of mine privy to Microsoft's event plans, who asked not to be named, just shared with me dates and tentative locations for a number of Microsoft's upcoming launches. Some of these we suspected; a few we knew.

Windows Phone 8's build-up to launch started today, August 29, with Samsung showing off what's officially the first Windows Phone 8 device (but offering no pricing or availability details). September 5, Nokia is expected to show off some of its planned Windows Phone 8 devices, with AT&T rumored to be the lead carrier for them. And HTC is expected to be next out of the gate with Windows Phone 8 handset(s) -- around mid-September, I hear.

But October -- specifically late October -- is when things really ramp up.

October 25, the day before general availability, will be Microsoft's big launch event for Windows 8 and the Surface RT. And that event will be in New York City, the site of most recent previous Windows launches. (I don't know specifically where this event will be, but selfishly think it's nice that it's on home turf for me.) Windows 8 and the Surface RT ARM-based devices should be available (at least technically) at midnight, following the launch event.

October 29 will be the official "launch" of Windows Phone 8, I am told. I'm hearing this event will likely be on the west coast, either in San Francisco or Los Angeles. (Again, I don't know exactly where. A photo studio? Outside an Apple store?) But this is considered the "consumer launch" of the product, with handsets to be made available starting a week or two later, meaning early November, as other sources of mine had indicated.

October 30 to November 2 is Microsoft's Build 2012 conference, where the Softies will talk all things developer-focused around Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows Azure, Xbox, and more. If you'll be in the Redmond vicinity on October 30, we're holding our second Build Blogger Bash that evening (tickets are limited and on sale now).

(In November, the coming Xbox Live dashboard update is expected to arrive, but I don't have details as to whether there will be an Xbox event to coincide or where it will be.)

I asked a Microsoft spokesperson to confirm this timetable and was told there would be no official comment.

http://www.zdnet.com/mark-your-micr...ows-phone-8-launch-dates-revealed-7000003450/

MCD

It's weird seeing a Windows Phone being announced in a non-Microsoft event.

It's like...we are moving up guys.

Klocker

I don't want physical buttons. They take you out of the touch experience

I'll take this if it is the only thing I need to push to get my phone out of sleep. no more reaching up top then holding capacitive button to get to Tellme...

but apple is gonna be adding this to their list of grievances. ;)

thirty

Banned
nokia is gonna kill us with their teasers all through the long wknd. nothing less than a WP8 Pureview device would be a failure for me. Finland, don't let me down.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think they are also taking away music video streaming, and that's a feature I actually used. Taking away features, it's the Microsoft way!

PG2G

Looks like taking away video streaming through the desktop client. Hopefully that means it'll still work via Xbox and Xbox Music apps on Windows 8

rozay

Banned
Random question:
Is the music player on WP7/8 the same as iOS where you're required to sync music from desktop software (zune and itunes respectively) or could I download an mp3 from a blog and integrate that into my music library on the device itself?

Additionally, what file formats can actually be downloaded from the internet via the browser or whatever else? (not just opened for viewing or streaming)

Random question:
Is the music player on WP7/8 the same as iOS where you're required to sync music from desktop software (zune and itunes respectively) or could I download an mp3 from a blog and integrate that into my music library on the device itself?

Additionally, what file formats can actually be downloaded from the internet via the browser or whatever else? (not just opened for viewing or streaming)
Although the browser is perfectly capable of playing downloaded audio files, you can't add them to the library his way. You need to use Zune to have it stick.

If I remember correctly, in addition to MP3 and AAC (M4A), the browser can also open WAV files, but it cannot stream WAV, so it'll download the entire thing first.

Although the browser is perfectly capable of playing downloaded audio files, you can't add them to the library his way. You need to use Zune to have it stick.

If I remember correctly, in addition to MP3 and AAC (M4A), the browser can also open WAV files, but it cannot stream WAV, so it'll download the entire thing first.

isn't there an app that does that?

PG2G

Random question:

WP8 is going to allow apps to have write access to the media library so what you're describing should work (if not through the browser, then someone could always write an app that would take a URL and add it).

You can't really download any files in WP7, which kind of makes sense because there is no file system. We need more details on the browser changes in WP8 to know for sure. With support of MicroSD storage, you'd also expect them to expand on this stuff.

rozay

Banned
WP8 is going to allow apps to have write access to the media library so what you're describing should work (if not through the browser, then someone could always write an app that would take a URL and add it).

You can't really download any files in WP7, which kind of makes sense because there is no file system. We need more details on the browser changes in WP8 to know for sure. With support of MicroSD storage, you'd also expect them to expand on this stuff.
The file system access is the main reason I prefer android over the other current mobile platforms, but it's primarily the media library that makes me feel like I'm wearing handcuffs when using iOS/WP. Hopefully they talk about this at the next WP8 developers event.

Troll

Banned
Behold! The new WP8 accent colors!

NewAccents.png

thirty

Banned
i've always wondered if nokia could pull off a pureview camera attachment. something that can attach to your smartphone, can swivel, and has in its housing, the processor, the image sensor, flash, etc.

this way, you can carry around your regular smartphone with its 5-8mp built in cam and when you need 41mp, you can also carry the pureview camera attachment. the attachment when connected to a smartphone would still be more ideal than carrying a separate point and shoot.

it would look something like this attachable mic.
ikmultimedia_irigmiccast.jpg

Fjolle

Pretty good theory we're gonna get a 21 mega pixel PureView.

Linkhttp://feedproxy.google.com/~r/WmPowerUser/~3/No6xraDs6P8/

Meh. The video is 21 seconds long because she crashed at the 22 second mark.

It's called phi because it's a pureview phone (golden ratio tada). They have either designed it around what sensor the engineers put in it, or engineered a sensor that is big enough to be "pureview" and is able to fit into what the designers dreamt up (808 vs 800).

Random question:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/66d53b77-557a-46bd-b98c-68e85eef3b67

apparently it's not very good, but it technically works.

Sordid

I really hope the next Lumias don't have as much issues as the current ones, plugged my Lumia in to charge last night and everything was fine. Unplugged it this morning and somehow it's totally dead, won't charge or switch on :(

I was on the latest 800 update iirc (8773, 12220). Is there anything I can do to revive it (hopefully without resetting it)?

Edit: A soft reset eventually worked and all my data is still there \o/ my battery was fully charged which is weird but oh well. I'll be getting rid for a WP8 handset as soon as I can.

I really hope the next Lumias don't have as much issues as the current ones, plugged my Lumia in to charge last night and everything was fine. Unplugged it this morning and somehow it's totally dead, won't charge or switch on :(

I was on the latest 800 update iirc (8773, 12220). Is there anything I can do to revive it (hopefully without resetting it)?

Edit: A soft reset eventually worked and all my data is still there \o/ my battery was fully charged which is weird but oh well. I'll be getting rid for a WP8 handset as soon as I can.

My old Samsung Focus did that couple of times .. I think there is a glitch in Windows Phone 7 battery report.

So far my Lumia 900 is working fine ... though it's seems to take a little while to register that I plug it in. Also another oddity is I can't adjust the volume while the phone is sleep in my case (but music is playing). I don't know if this is Tango thing or just specific to Lumia.

Camera still suck with the firmware update. I can get decent picture after mugging around with the setting ... but I really shouldn't have to.

Also those with Lumia 900 are you guys using a case with it? If you do which one?

I just hope they're not made by Compal again.

Samsung always manufactures the first runs of their flagship devices in Korea to monitor QC. I bought my Galaxy Nexus at launch and mine was made in Korea. Production usually shifts to China after a month or two. If you want a MADE IN KOREA phone by Samsung, buy it at launch.

Just stuck some music on my Lumia for the first time and when I am using IE whilst it's paying in the background the phone locks up after about 2 mins.

Is this a common problem? Any fixes? Phone has the latest updates.

Milchjon

Just stuck some music on my Lumia for the first time and when I am using IE whilst it's paying in the background the phone locks up after about 2 mins.

Seems relatively common, although it's not a regular occurrence for me. Soft reset and hope it doesn't happen again ;-)

Amory

I love my Lumia 900, but 16 gb of storage is laughable. I use my phone primarily to listen to music, and I want my whole collection on there. But then there's almost no room for apps. So frustrating.

AnkitT

Seems like a common problem. A couple of people in this thread(and me) mentioned it a few pages back. It only does that with the earphones plugged in for me, which is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom