• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Just got my new Titan II today from the Smoked by Windows challenge and I'm liking it alot so far (apart from one annoying thing but that is GroupMe's fault I think, not MS). Now I'm just trying to scour around for guides on what apps to get
Most apps have trails. So remb to try before you buy.

Also for games try
Ilomilo
Rocket car (iOS port. Don't double dip if you already have for ios)
Rocket riot
Wings of glory(or something like that. Can't remb)

Edit

Oh yea brot? Well I may be Canadian. But I am also Canadian!

Everdred

I wonder how many, if any, current phones will be upgradable to Apollo. The support for dual-core, makes me think that most phones won't be able to upgrade. That they'll have a new minimum spec above current hardware.

I also highly recommend Ilomilo.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I wonder how many, if any, current phones will be upgradable to Apollo. The support for dual-core, makes me think that most phones won't be able to upgrade. That they'll have a new minimum spec above current hardware.

I also highly recommend Ilomilo.
They would downright foolish to destroy what little market share they have gained by not providing a upgrade to at least second gen devices. At that point, I will happily switch to an iOS device.

Fjolle

They would downright foolish to destroy what little market share they have gained by not providing a upgrade to at least second gen devices. At that point, I will happily switch to an iOS device.

Yea, not gonna happen.

The minimum spec should be more than enough to run whatever they will put in Apollo. Just because they support NFC and dual core doesn't mean that they will require it.

Also while i have no idea about how they want to implement the ARM support in W8, i'm sure that they have put the 2(?) chips they support in WP7 at the top of their priority list for W8 (I read somewhere that they basically need to support each SoC as they're not just ARM). I don't remember anything about the SoC needing some specific feature.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think people are paranoid about the upgrade to apollo status. All the phones have gotten the major upgrades and I don't see anything technically that would prevent older phones from using the things coming in the next update.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I think people are paranoid about the upgrade to apollo status. All the phones have gotten the major upgrades and I don't see anything technically that would prevent older phones from using the things coming in the next update.
It's the wait that's killing us. We as users want what we can't have. I know if comes quick itl be cheap and dirty. But if it's slow, itl prob be awesome. If its not, I am gonna be one sad panda. And yes, I have extremely high expectations for Apollo.

Blackhead

Redarse
For Apple.

Heh

I might as well toss in my two cents on the Windows review 'controversy':
I largely agree with Topolsky's conclusion—WP 7.5 is still far behind Android ICS or iOS5 in features and I couldn't use the Lumia 900 as my daily driver either—but disagree with weights he gives to his complaints and his assertions that fundamental parts of the OS are still missing. WP app developers not coding properly for scrolling doesn't mean the OS is broken. Background updates can be a problem on any platform as a recently hyped iOS email client not including push notifications illustrates (not to mention the flubbed launch of the official iOS Gmail client app). I don't think WP7 has ever gotten a pass in reviews. If we're going to stop giving a pass to disappointing OS then theVerge should probably correct that new iPad review and downgrade the software rating from a 9 to a 7 or 6.

*shrug* the review in the Chicago Sun-Times was spot on, as many here have pointed out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but LOL at Verge's reviews.

-Titan gets a 7.7 and Titan 2 gets a 6
-Design of Titan gets an 8, they say the design of a Titan 2 is an improvement, gets a 6.
-Display is the same exact screen. Five months later an 8 is a 5. I have a Titan, and I have zero complaints about the display. Screen is great.
-Five months software goes from an 8 to a 5 and ecosystem from a 6 to a 4.

Verge be trolling lol.

And the line about Andriod and iOS continuing to innovate and improve will WP doesn't. Not to bash the iPhone, but the hardware hasn't changed since iPhone 4, with it's by today's standards, tiny screen, and the iOS hasn't received any drastic updates recently either.

Fjolle

And the line about Andriod and iOS continuing to innovate and improve will WP doesn't. Not to bash the iPhone, but the hardware hasn't changed since iPhone 4, with it's by today's standards, tiny screen, and the iOS hasn't received any drastic updates recently either.

But iOS makes the lock-screen jump when you tab it!

INNOVATION

Blackhead

Redarse
That's a bit rich.

Did you read the software section in their new iPad review? The subheading is "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss" and it's full of complaints about how the OS is basically the same as for the last iPad and that feature requests since the launch of the original iPad still haven't been addressed. The first listed change, "minor (but welcome)", that you can queue up multiple downloads from the AppStore without being kicked back to the homescreen, is technically incorrect as that only applies to downloads from previous app purchases screen. Yet iOS still got a 9 rating. That's a pass if I ever saw one.

ChanHuk

Banned
Wow, truly awesome and commendable customer service by Nokia here. All Lumia 900 owners get $100 credit:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/04/11/putting-people-first/

Wait, wasn't there a guy calling me insane earlier for reporting this with my Lumia 900? I got mine from the Microsoft challenge, I wonder if I'm still eligible. Gonna go to the AT&T tomorrow after work to see if I can swap phones.

On a side note, the resolution is really starting to annoy me, I don't think I can use this as an everyday phone.

besiktas1

I found the old wall of shame

tBnts.png

Wow I'm on the old wall of shame. I feel sad to have moved on (ordered the One X, picking it up today) as I was here from the begining. WP7-gaf is awesome and always helpful. Love you guys.

WP7 was everything I wanted at the beginning; a innovative, sleek and stylish OS. But the other stuff I wanted never materialized (for example, streaming my media from pc as my Xbox does) and apps/games wise I just used my ipod Touch. Add to that for the past 3 months whenever I tried to use any data my Omnia would restart, so that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Granted that is no fault of the OS, but I felt I needed a change. The Lumia tempted me (white one, hnnng) but in the end I think a change will be cool. I'll be back. I hope. I'm just waiting for Apollo :p

Wait, wasn't there a guy calling me insane earlier for reporting this with my Lumia 900? I got mine from the Microsoft challenge, I wonder if I'm still eligible. Gonna go to the AT&T tomorrow after work to see if I can swap phones.

On a side note, the resolution is really starting to annoy me, I don't think I can use this as an everyday phone.

What was your previous phone? I don't know why resolution is such a problem when most Android out there are at the same resolution. What are you guys doing with your phone that require super high resolution?

Wow I'm on the old wall of shame. I feel sad to have moved on (ordered the One X, picking it up today) as I was here from the begining. WP7-gaf is awesome and always helpful. Love you guys.

WP7 was everything I wanted at the beginning; a innovative, sleek and stylish OS. But the other stuff I wanted never materialized (for example, streaming my media from pc as my Xbox does) and apps/games wise I just used my ipod Touch. Add to that for the past 3 months whenever I tried to use any data my Omnia would restart, so that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Granted that is no fault of the OS, but I felt I needed a change. The Lumia tempted me (white one, hnnng) but in the end I think a change will be cool. I'll be back. I hope. I'm just waiting for Apollo :p

You will always be one of us. (Though we now have to lable you as traitor or may be lost to android).

One X is the first Android phone that looks good to me but ughh at the sense UI. I didn't know it's available now.

Did you read the software section in their new iPad review? The subheading is "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss" and it's full of complaints about how the OS is basically the same as for the last iPad and that feature requests since the launch of the original iPad still haven't been addressed. The first listed change, "minor (but welcome)", that you can queue up multiple downloads from the AppStore without being kicked back to the homescreen, is technically incorrect as that only applies to downloads from previous app purchases screen. Yet iOS still got a 9 rating. That's a pass if I ever saw one.

Oh trust me, I've read it.

Hardly a pass. Apart from a very few minor quibbles you can hardly fault iOS for anything at all.

And Software is more than the OS. The AppStore ecosystem is simply unbeatable.

Milchjon

Hardly a pass. Apart from a very few minor quibbles you can hardly fault iOS for anything at all.

Don't they have separate scores for Software and Ecosystem, though?

But the ecosystem is a different category in the Verge score. So no, in this case it's not more than the OS. And to be honest, iOS is kind of awful. It's dull, boring, no fun to use at all. It's just there, waiting for you to hide it with much better, much more beautiful designed apps. The design language is some terrible outdated web 2.0 crap and instead of revamping it, they're just adding fake material textures to their apps. Sure, I don't want to blow my head off when I look at it (that privilege goes to Android pre 4.0 and the Vita OS), but there's definitely nothing to get excited over it. But that's obviously just my opinion. If someone doesn't like Windows Phone's Metro UI, I can accept that and I can see why.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
iOS on iPad has been getting a pass for 3 years. I can't open up apps fast enough when I turn on my iPad, the OS is an embarrassment on a tablet.

Its too bad we don't have any more high profile wp7 devices until Apollo, I wanted to see how much lower the OS score could fall.

iOS on iPad has been getting a pass for 3 years. I can't open up apps fast enough when I turn on my iPad, the OS is an embarrassment on a tablet.

Its too bad we don't have any more high profile wp7 devices until Apollo, I wanted to see how much lower the OS score could fall.

Samsung has another LTE Windows Phone in the pipeline.

I don't really like it in Windows 8. Seems like a bad rip-off Samsung would come up with.

I don't fully accept Windows 8's current iteration either, even though I've been using it for 2 weeks on my main production system. It's jarring at best. But it's fast so I'll learn to deal.

hwalker84

now people can focus on the 900 screen not being as responsive as the 800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD1D33E9A0DAB49CA&v=_KBDZrqVW-8&feature=player_detailpage#t=226s

the 900 is still responsive.. it just doesn't seem as quick as the 800's display in terms of registering input.

I powered on my Samsung Focus and I can definitely tell a difference between it and my lumia 900. The 900 requires more deliberate input.. to get the same kind of response as the focus. It's probably a software choice on Nokia's part rather than the display itself.. but it's hard to say.
Ok at least I see that rattle like vibration is normal.

hwalker84

There's no way the 900 or Titan 2 wont get Apollo. I don't think any second gen devices have to worry. The only problem I see possibly happening is Carriers blocking the update.

PG2G

Glad to see Nokia keeping the platform in the news. That was one of the issues in the first round, all the phones cane out around the same time and... silence

Razdek

Banned
But the ecosystem is a different category in the Verge score. So no, in this case it's not more than the OS. And to be honest, iOS is kind of awful. It's dull, boring, no fun to use at all. It's just there, waiting for you to hide it with much better, much more beautiful designed apps. The design language is some terrible outdated web 2.0 crap and instead of revamping it, they're just adding fake material textures to their apps. Sure, I don't want to blow my head off when I look at it (that privilege goes to Android pre 4.0 and the Vita OS), but there's definitely nothing to get excited over it. But that's obviously just my opinion. If someone doesn't like Windows Phone's Metro UI, I can accept that and I can see why.

You can say IOS is boring but the fact is it still has more functionality than WP at the moment and the ecosystem is a lot better. There's a lot more things you can do on it so until WP catches up and narrows the features list people have the right to complain.

I'm looking forward to Apollo as much as everyone here but hope it's not a version one reset due to changing kernels. Microsoft has to nail it with that release because I don't think they can have another "wait till ...." moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom