• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

I hope that's the case. There are some things that should be universal across the platform, like the charging USB location. On the other side, design wise, just looking and Brot and Souldriver's conversation about phone design, I'm glad MS went the middle road of allowing wiggle room in terms of design, but mandating certain elements that equalize certain aspects to maintain a decent user experience. Its kinda crazy thinking with all these opinions of what is good design, Apple has to nail it every time with their singular yearly refresh. Cool thing is, I don't think since the iPhone's inception that its had as much decent competition than its gonna have later this year and early next year. I mean, smart phone wars are really heating up now, and its a good thing. There's going to be some serious competition, and it'll be beneficial across the board hopefully for all of us, even blackberry users.
lol?

Given some of the leaks, I really wonder what the iPhone 5 is gonna really gonna come out in front in compared to everything else that's hitting later this year. Screen? Battery life? Thinness? If Nokia manages to trump every one in camera with a lower end PureView, I'm gonna be happy with that differentiation. Personally, I prioritize smart phone features like this

1. Battery life
2. Camera
3. OS
4. Well designed hardware (aesthetic value)
5. Platform services (i.e. Nokia Drive, Zune Pass)
6. App store

Right now if the Nokia Phi ends up with 21 megapixel PureView with lossless zooming and rich recording, plus at least 32 MB, or an SD slot, it's my next phone. If its anything under that, I'll likely look for a cheap 900 later this year, and hold out my upgrade till Nokia hits this spring with something better.

MarkusRJR

hey, I just bought a Lumia 610 and I'm wondering if I can make it so the phone uses wi-fi for data when it's available instead of using 3g for data all the time? I couldn't find it in the settings so I'm a bit curious.

f0lken

hey, I just bought a Lumia 610 and I'm wondering if I can make it so the phone uses wi-fi for data when it's available instead of using 3g for data all the time? I couldn't find it in the settings so I'm a bit curious.

Search for Keep Alive in the marketplace

giga

Settings -> Cellular

Commodore

Yeah, you'd have to turn off the data connection.

You might turn off your cellular data connection for different reasons, such as saving on costs if you're not on an unlimited data plan, or making your battery last a little longer.
You can still make and receive phone calls, and send and receive text messages. But you can't do things like browse the web, send or receive email, or get updated info for apps unless you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.

Troll

Banned

How do you like it?

MarkusRJR

So I could turn off data and leave wi-fi on and it'd act normally? Then when I'm on the go I'd turn off wi-fi and turn on data again? That seems strange it wouldn't just default to using the wi-fi connection once it's connected. :/

Oh and to the poster above: I absolutely love it so far. It's legitimately my perfect phone. Still getting used to how Windows Phone works but for $150 it is amazing. Such an upgrade from my Blackberry. I got the white one and it looks gorgeous.

venne

I would think it would do this automatically on known wifi networks.

You don't get an automatic connection on your WiFi/it doesn't prompt you when there is one in range?

PG2G

So I could turn off data and leave wi-fi on and it'd act normally? Then when I'm on the go I'd turn off wi-fi and turn on data again? That seems strange it wouldn't just default to using the wi-fi connection once it's connected. :/

Oh and to the poster above: I absolutely love it so far. It's legitimately my perfect phone. Still getting used to how Windows Phone works but for $150 it is amazing. Such an upgrade from my Blackberry. I got the white one and it looks gorgeous.

It will use WiFi when it is connected. The only issue is,in order to save battery, WiFi is disabled when the screen is locked (unless plugged into power). So it'd be using your data connection when the WiFi is off.

MarkusRJR

Sigh....

Did my first phone call and now the back and search buttons are flickering. Is this normal or is my phone defective or something?

Okay. I'm assuming it's defective so I'm going to back it up. It took me like 2 hours to get it set up add all my contacts. How would I go about backing it up and restoring it?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sigh....

Did my first phone call and now the back and search buttons are flickering. Is this normal or is my phone defective or something?

Plug it in to Zune and see if there's a software update for your phone (there probably is). If there is no update, reboot your phone. If the phone still flickers after phone calls and you don't feel like doing a google search for the problem and any homebrew fixes, email/call Nokia, they are pretty awesome at customer service.

f0lken

It will use WiFi when it is connected. The only issue is,in order to save battery, WiFi is disabled when the screen is locked (unless plugged into power). So it'd be using your data connection when the WiFi is off.

Thats why I said that he should search for "Keep Alive" in the marketplace, it will allow to stay connected to wifi even when the screen is locked, I tried it in an Optimus 7 and works well

venne

Sigh....

Okay. I'm assuming it's defective so I'm going to back it up. It took me like 2 hours to get it set up add all my contacts. How would I go about backing it up and restoring it?

Backup of contacts should be automatic. Apps and settings are not backed up and you'll need to redo those, unfortunately.

Check your Microsoft account to be sure the contacts synced.

MarkusRJR

Plug it in to Zune and see if there's a software update for your phone (there probably is). If there is no update, reboot your phone. If the phone still flickers after phone calls and you don't feel like doing a google search for the problem and any homebrew fixes, email/call Nokia, they are pretty awesome at customer service.
Well I bought it today, so I'm going to have to deal with the carrier.

EDIT: I just got back from an awkward attempt at getting a replacement. I had to compare it with the display model before they'd believe me. The guy eventually gave in and I got a replacement, so hopefully it lasts.

Patriots7

Dear God, that new Nokia phone is amazing.

I wish Google supported WP, I would definitely give it a go otherwise. WP8 is loking great

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ativa on video, compares it to a Galaxy S III.

It's in Russian.

Woah, he even takes off the metal battery cover in the back. You can see the sim slot AND the sd card slot. Sweet. Too bad there wasn't a battery in there so he could boot it up. I'm really liking this phone. Looks WAY better than the SGSIII, though it seems a little taller.

edit: there was a battery, he just never booted it up. :*(

steelcity

Neo Member
Sigh....

You don't.

steelcity

Neo Member
Woah, he even takes off the metal battery cover in the back. You can see the sim slot AND the sd card slot. Sweet. Too bad there wasn't a battery in there so he could boot it up. I'm really liking this phone. Looks WAY better than the SGSIII, though it seems a little taller.

Battery was from the S3 he was showing how much bigger the battery bay is compared to the S3

I am at PAX and I see so many Windows Phone, even our waiter recognize my Lumia and said he is planning to get the Phi.

Seattle is Microsoft country. You'll never see more Microsoft anything anywhere than in the Seattle metro area. Even the local soccer team (the Sounders) are sponsored by MS, which is why the joke is the team is named the Seattle Xboxes after the HUEG XOBX logo on their jerseys.

Seattle is Microsoft country. You'll never see more Microsoft anything anywhere than in the Seattle metro area. Even the local soccer team (the Sounders) are sponsored by MS, which is why the joke is the team is named the Seattle Xboxes after the HUEG XOBX logo on their jerseys.
While that true for Xbox, last year I saw one guy with Window Phone. This year there are definitely more, though still pale to all the iPhones.

maeh2k

While backup functionality is lacking in Windows Phone 7, contacts shouldn't be an issue. They are stored in the cloud with you Microsoft account.

Ativa on video, compares it to a Galaxy S III.

It's in Russian.

It's Ativ, goddamnit!

Also, lol @ "metal-looking plastic".

It was the smaller SGS3 battery and it didn't fit into the phone. The Ativ S got a bigger one.

their named seattle xboxes...?

The Seattle Sounders have a huge XBOX 360 logo on the front of their jerseys. The Sounders team logo itself is small and in the corner of the chest area, like most soccer jerseys. So if you didn't know any better, especially if you were watching on TV and couldn't see the small Sounders logo clearly, you would think the team was named the Seattle Xboxes!

For the record, HTC One X made me go wow when I saw it in person. Yes, the white PC made a huge difference and it felt very solid too.

The One series are badly hamstrung by Sense. This is one reason why HTC are getting killed by Samsung in the Android market space, because while Touchwiz is pretty bad, Sense is a million times worse.

Totakeke

Trailer for Skulls of the Shogun. It's a turn based strategy and has async play across W8, WP8 and Xbox360. Hopefully there's more to come.

The One series are badly hamstrung by Sense. This is one reason why HTC are getting killed by Samsung in the Android market space, because while Touchwiz is pretty bad, Sense is a million times worse.

I feel that most of Samsung's success in the mobile arena is media driven as much as Apple. I don't know how Sense is now, but the average person is unlikely to go around comparing the custom UIs to that extent.

Totakeke

Well.

Stuff said:
Smartphones will soon have more than one screen, with a low powered ebook reader on the rear. This is what E Ink has exclusively told us in a quiet meeting room at the IFA trade show in Berlin.

B9tw7.jpg

42SsW.jpg

http://www.stuff.tv/news/ifa/rumour...es-with-second-e-ink-reader-displays-incoming

Good to see WP7 being used for prototypes?

The Seattle Sounders have a huge XBOX 360 logo on the front of their jerseys. The Sounders team logo itself is small and in the corner of the chest area, like most soccer jerseys. So if you didn't know any better, especially if you were watching on TV and couldn't see the small Sounders logo clearly, you would think the team was named the Seattle Xboxes!

Oh, look at all these awesome soccer teams:

The fly emerits
ARSENAL_JERSEYS001.JPG

The vodafones
graphics-manchester-united-758936.jpg

The bwin.coms
315118_adidas_real_madrid_08_jersey_zm.jpg

If anything, it's more inline with every other soccer club in the world! The New York RedBull is the funniest to me....their sponser ACTUALLY is their name,hahahaaha

MarkusRJR

I have a quick question. Which drains the battery of an LCD windows phone faster, black metro theme or white metro theme? I know that white metro drains an OLED windows phone faster, but I don't remember how it works with LCD phones. I just want to get the best battery life. :p

MarkusRJR

I also have 2 more questions (sorry for being such a bother)... How often does the contact list update? I added a new friend on Facebook and we've been texting but her name isn't on the people app yet. My other question is that I'm confused how to get Facebook working. I keep getting some error code.

Troll

Banned
How is the WP OT so troll resistant? Not even the Nokia event thread was able to go two days without getting trolled.

I also have 2 more questions (sorry for being such a bother)... How often does the contact list update? I added a new friend on Facebook and we've been texting but her name isn't on the people app yet. My other question is that I'm confused how to get Facebook working. I keep getting some error code.

What's the error code?

Commodore

How is the WP OT so troll resistant? Not even the Nokia event thread was able to go two days without getting trolled.

We're at 5% marketshare? Maybe there's a troll threshold where they really feel like they can get some serious food when trolling. If we ever hit 10%, watch out!

(honestly, I think the regulars here are mostly open minded and intelligent enough not to give in someone trolling enough that degenerates into a pissing match)

MarkusRJR

What's the error code?
80038834. Could it be related to my Facebook contacts not updating? Like I don't mind if I can't Facebook chat but if my Facebook contacts don't update in the People app it's gonna be a little annoying (especially if it updates a long time from now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom