• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the messages I get when I boot up Zune "Hey, you've got new features!!! Restart Zune software", then I restart and see that the apps are gone, or music videos are gone. Gee, thanks guys!

Also, the email I got on August 29th that told me I'd lose about a dozen features within the next two days was a nice touch. They called it a "Feature Update". Update as in "we're taking them away".

Look at it this way, people outside the US never had those features. ;)

PG2G

I'm hoping there will be something unique and interesting regarding how wp8 integrates with windows. We'll see on 9/5 I guess

Tomcat

Tom Warren‏@tomwarren

If you are expecting a 41-megapixel camera on the Lumia 920, prepare to be disappointed

i dont think anyone is expecting right now a 41mp lumia so no big deal

thirty

Banned
htc to name the accord the 8X, not the HD8.

htc-x8-new-name-for-htc-accord-2.jpg

Milchjon

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed by what we've seen so far from both Nokia and MS. But if the iPhone 5 really ends up the way it seems to, I don't see any reason not to stay on board.

Milchjon

what exactly have you seen by nokia and ms?

Nokia: Phone designs that are rather close to what we had before and no indication of a "real" PureView phone:

MS: An OS update that so far looks rather minor and that's taking a step back design-wise in some parts.

Sure, there could be some surprises, but the picture of a next step that's rather incremental and evolutionary is pretty consistent so far. There hasn't been anything that's really exciting.

Tomcat

Nokia: Phone designs that are rather close to what we had before and no indication of a "real" PureView phone:

MS: An OS update that so far looks rather minor and that's taking a step back design-wise in some parts.

Sure, there could be some surprises, but the picture of a next step that's rather incremental and evolutionary is pretty consistent so far. There hasn't been anything that's really exciting.

you must be joking if you are telling me that wp8 is a minor update. As for nokia wait for the proper unveil. you should expect a real pureview phone in 2013. Dont forget it took them 5 years to put it on symbian

Your reasoning is really flawed taking into account the leaks about the iPhone 5 and iOS 6.

frontieruk

What did i miss there? So far neither iOS 6 nor the iPhone 5 look all that great/different? Or what do you mean?

It's more of the same for iOS 6, if anything that's more of a 'minor' update than winpho7.5 to winpho8 not seen the handset but I'm imagining it'll be rectangular, white with rounded corners and have one button on the face with a hd retina display screen of about 4.3 inches.

Milchjon

It's more of the same for iOS 6, if anything that's more of a 'minor' update than winpho7.5 to winpho8 not seen the handset but I'm imagining it'll be rectangular, white with rounded corners and have one button on the face with a hd retina display screen of about 4.3 inches.

Yeah, that's what I saw. And that's why I said that seeing the iPhone 5 makes it easier to handle the slight "disappointment" of WP8 and the devices. Nothing about the iPhone 5 makes me want to switch.

f0lken

What did i miss there? So far neither iOS 6 nor the iPhone 5 look all that great/different? Or what do you mean?

Maybe its that iOS 5 and therefore 6 feels like a complete OS but WP7.5 is lacking a lot of things so if in his opinion WP8 is a small upgrade (its not) there is no reason for him to move.

But the fact is that Nokia will bring Pureview to WP in a 21mp camera wich will be beyond everything anyone else can offer at this time in mobile photography, and WP8 is a huge leap from 7.5 don't confuse consistency in visual language with stagnation ;)

rozay

Banned
Maybe its that iOS 5 and therefore 6 feels like a complete OS but WP7.5 is lacking a lot of things so if in his opinion WP8 is a small upgrade (its not) there is no reason for him to move.

But the fact is that Nokia will bring Pureview to WP in a 21mp camera wich will be beyond everything anyone else can offer at this time in mobile photography, and WP8 is a huge leap from 7.5 don't confuse consistency in visual language with stagnation ;)
Don't get excited until we see sensor specs. I could care less about the pureview branding, what actually mattered in the 808 was the sensor's size and quality as well as the xenon flash and above-average mics. Hopefully Damian Dinning was involved in this phone and will make a meaty blog post detailing it.

so do you thinks think the Phi phone is going to come in black, red, yellow, and white.
damnit! the jbl speaker in cyan was giving me hope that there would be one :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know why you guys are insisting iOS 6 isn't a revolutionary update. On the new iPhone, there's going to be an extra row of icons. AN EXTRA ROW
of shitty, static icons

thirty

Banned
yeah, the JBL speaker is also using new NFC tech and come in yellow, black, white, and cyan. hmmm, guess we'll see this wednesday.

I don't know why you guys are insisting iOS 6 isn't a revolutionary update. On the new iPhone, there's going to be an extra row of icons. AN EXTRA ROW
of shitty, static icons
Luckily, with Windows Phone 7.8 and 8, you an replicate that look and feel.

Thank you, Microsoft and our focus groups.

rozay

Banned
of shitty, static icons
The negative space on the side of WP7's home screen was sacrified for...the ability to add an extra row or two of
shitty static icons

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The negative space on the side of WP7's home screen was sacrified for...the ability to add an extra row or two of
shitty static icons

Nope. Not even a nice try. All the time you spend in here, it's like you've never even seen Apollo.

rozay

Banned
Nope. Not even a nice try. All the time you spend in here, it's like you've never even seen Apollo.
Well, I would hope you weren't being more serious with your iOS6 post than I was with mine!

If you want to be serious, are you saying that apollo's new small homescreen tiles aren't shitty static icons?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, I would hope you weren't being more serious with your iOS6 post than I was with mine!

If you want to be serious, are you saying that apollo's new small homescreen tiles aren't shitty static icons?

They are still live tiles with notifications. And should we ignore the ability to create the big tiles, or would that make it too unfair a comparison to adding just an extra row of icons?

rozay

Banned
They are still live tiles with notifications. And should we ignore the ability to create the big tiles, or would that make it too unfair a comparison to adding just an extra row of icons?
Everything I've seen indicates that they're just as "live" as an iOS icon with a notification badge.

By "create the big tiles" do you mean expanding a tile to take up the whole width? That wasn't already a feature?

Tomcat

Everything I've seen indicates that they're just as "live" as an iOS icon with a notification badge.

By "create the big tiles" do you mean expanding a tile to take up the whole width? That wasn't already a feature?

no you cant do that with 7.5

Thinking of switching to Windows Phone for my next device. I've had an Android and am currently on an iPhone after my Android drowned.

Of those two I much preferred Android. However, after being really impressed by Windows 8 and loving the look of WP7/8, I'm willing to give it a try.

I only really use my smartphone for email, text, web browsing (aka m.neogaf.com) and Twitter. Everything else is just an added bonus. Windows Phone handles all of these things superbly, right?

Also, not to sound insensitive or anything.. but I'm aware that WP's marketshare is pretty small compared to iOS or Android. Do you guys think there's any chance of MS abandoning the platform?

Thinking of switching to Windows Phone for my next device. I've had an Android and am currently on an iPhone after my Android drowned.

Of those two I much preferred Android. However, after being really impressed by Windows 8 and loving the look of WP7/8, I'm willing to give it a try.

I only really use my smartphone for email, text, web browsing (aka m.neogaf.com) and Twitter. Everything else is just an added bonus. Windows Phone handles all of these things superbly, right?

Also, not to sound insensitive or anything.. but I'm aware that WP's marketshare is pretty small compared to iOS or Android. Do you guys think there's any chance of MS abandoning the platform?

If they do, I might be out of a job! No, I don't think there's any chance of abandonment for a long time. We've built a platform for success--now we just need to get the word out and for people to use it.

I think there's some change of that. The marketshare is slowly growing, but not as fast as Android. If operators and phone makers stop supporting WP, then it's likely that MS will kill WP and then try something new again after a while (like they did with Windows Mobile). Maybe they come up with a full-feature smartphone platform again, insted of this iPhone like Windows Phone...

The worrying thing about WP8 was, that it was again a slight platform reboot, as the old devices didn't get a full OS update, even though the update itself doesn't seem like a major one. The platform is still almost as closed as before.

Saying that, I'm generally been pretty pleased with my Lumia 800. The way email, calendar and MS Office files work is great thing to have in work phone. And the web browser is pretty good, everything is relatively smooth, and the way the double-click zoom works seems better than with other browsers, where you have to pinch zoom to get where you want. Of course I'd still love to also have Opera in my phone. Even though I'm stuck with this device as my main phone for the next 1.5 years, it doesn't seem like it was a bad move to get it.

Fjolle

WP gaf making fun of iOS advancements.

Its a brave new world guys.

I made fun of iOS advances when i had my symbian..

"MMS functionality? Wow, i've only had that for five years". "Multitasking? wow..." etc.

It's pretty easy to criticize the added features when you ignore the rest of the system ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom